Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Joann is very nasty and extremely hard on the eyes without face paint.

Chip is the real deal.

The show interviews and sets up clients and pays all the hidden cost.

Won't you don't see is the full construction crews not getting the credit.

Reality TV
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Ive heard they have an odd family life.  Probably just rumor.  Joanna comes off as a “speak to your manager” type.  Chip seams to be a cool guy.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My wife watches the show and a lot of those stupid ass HGTV fake as fuck makeover tv.

That dude Chip is Beta as fuck, definitely wears the skirt in the relationship on the show. I wonder if it's that way in real life?

That's part of the platform for those stupid fixer up shows. Normalize gays, and the idea that good men exist to execute the wishes, desires and plans of their better halves. You may have noticed that the women typically make the design, material and money choices, while their man agrees with few exceptions which are overruled anyway. Then he gets some glamour shots doing labor.

Lots of effort goes into making the dudes look like stooges. And at the end, there's always an obligatory "you were right honey, X looks fantastic, I never should have doubted you."

Complete social programming. It works too. My wife from time to time suggests we should try it. I just look at her like this

Not with my fucking money. I personally know multiple people who have gone bankrupt trying to flip houses. That's the entire purpose of the show, to tell women that they can and should spend more money on having a custom designer house exactly how they want. And if their man questions it, they shouldn't listen to him.
View Quote
You have just convinced me that you have issues.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Edited ~ medicmandan
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#5]
They got the herpes.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I like that unlike the property brothers they try to respect their clients' budget and seem to know a bit about spotting load bearing walls before they tell the client they can tear something down.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote
Be sure to install sprinklers
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting thread.

So my brother in law (wife's sisters husband) is a production assistant and one of the editors on the show.  They had to move out to an area called Woodway which I guess is near Waco.

Ive personally never met anybody from the show but my BIL has worked with them for years and he always has positive things to say about the couple.  They are good people and do alot of good things off the camera as well and are known for being generous.  Supposedly they give a huge portion of their income to charities and shelters and they are building a restaurant to eventually get away from the show business stuff.  I guess they have alot of external pressure to conform to scripts and other things they don't believe in, or something like that.  I guess they are pretty genuine and work very hard, and they were doing well even before the show started.

Anyways both my wifes sister and her husband are flying out here middle of August for the family meet n greet.  Ill be headed to Ft benning about that time though, if all goes well.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Joann is very nasty and extremely hard on the eyes without face paint.

Chip is the real deal.

The show interviews and sets up clients and pays all the hidden cost.

Won't you don't see is the full construction crews not getting the credit.

Reality TV
View Quote
Bet it looks like a beat up roast beef sammich too.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
She has no idea what shiplap is, that's for sure. She just looks at any horizontal arrangement of boards and calls it shiplap. It's called that for a reason and it has a specific structure.

My mother in law tried to talk to me about it once and I had to explain it's a type of joint (a lap joint) that was intended to be weather resistant. These days thanks to HGTV people have no idea about anything, but they think they do.
View Quote
well now it just means "old wood in any pattern whatsoever"
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Never met the folks....but my take is that they are decent people who happened to be in the right place at the right time, with the right amount of drive and marketing. I have been to Waco before the show, and since..and the Gaines have done nothing but improve the place.

As for them as people, seems as though they represent the traditional family, and many seem intent on finding something bad about them. The left hates them because they are straight, Christian, and raise their own kids. The right hates them because , well, I dont know.....I do know that I have never, not once in all the shows I have watched, gotten the impression that they are anything but what they appear to be. From talking to folks who do know them, and of them, I have never heard that she is anything resembling the ridiculous assumptions made in theis thread, nor is Chip anything but a decent dude running a legit company.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I don’t like them at all.  She is certainly an absolute ball busting bitch straining to be nice
The dude ? I don’t know
View Quote
Because you know them?  Tell us a synopsis of the last few times you hung out?
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Edited ~ medicmandan
View Quote
She got his ARs and guns confiscated.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Whenever she comes on, I holler "bukkake gangbang", my wife just rolls her eyes. I can't help it, it just seems very appropriate for her.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I saw an earlier episode with her without makeup, and it was shocking.

Plus she seems way more annoying.
Whenever she comes on, I holler "bukkake gangbang", my wife just rolls her eyes. I can't help it, it just seems very appropriate for her.
I still would watch that
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Talk about a massive cunt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
No kidding, don't stick it in crazy - vagina dentata is real!
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#17]
In true Arfcom fashion , people making negative post without having a clue on the subject matter first hand.

Except for the BIL comment .
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 6:18:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Waco is a shit hole. You can throw a rock in any direction and hit a piece of crap house.
View Quote
When I was TDY at Ft. Hood, I never heard anyone say "Hey let's go to Waco and party."
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Interesting thread.

So my brother in law (wife's sisters husband) is a production assistant and one of the editors on the show.  They had to move out to an area called Woodway which I guess is near Waco.

Ive personally never met anybody from the show but my BIL has worked with them for years and he always has positive things to say about the couple.  They are good people and do alot of good things off the camera as well and are known for being generous.  Supposedly they give a huge portion of their income to charities and shelters and they are building a restaurant to eventually get away from the show business stuff.  I guess they have alot of external pressure to conform to scripts and other things they don't believe in, or something like that.  I guess they are pretty genuine and work very hard, and they were doing well even before the show started.

Anyways both my wifes sister and her husband are flying out here middle of August for the family meet n greet.  Ill be headed to Ft benning about that time though, if all goes well.
View Quote
Don't ruin the mindless GD dogpile.  If a family promotes morals, family values, kids, etc., the anti-children, anti-Christian brigade will come out in droves in GD.  Yet GD can't get enough of leftist movie stars, actors, and entertainers.  GD is going to GD regardless, let them wallow in the mud.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

i find asian women to be unattractive .

YMMV
View Quote
Everyone is entitled to a wrong opinion.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I worked a VIP detail for a former POTUS at their Magnolia compound.  They were nice enough to us.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The folks I know in Waco hate how their restaurant and bakery have changed the feel of the town. That said, I enjoy their show and will try the restaurant when it either stays open past 3:00 pm or the wait drops to under an hour.
View Quote
I'm one of those who feel like they changed the town dramatically. I went to Baylor, just like Chip and Jo, and left Waco in 2006. The town existed because of the school so it had a small, college town feel while still being large enough to have 2-3 WalMarts to judge scale. Football was just starting to take off and bring the spotlight on the school.

Having been away from Waco for over a decade, I loved seeing the show and watching them fix up houses around town. It made me feel nostaligic and that they cared about our beloved, albeit poor, city.

I traveled down to Austin for a week two weekends ago and took a trip up to Waco with my wife and family. My wife loves the show and hasn't seen Waco or Baylor so I was excited to show them around. Well traffic was ever present (we never had traffic when I was a student there), tourists we're everywhere, and there is now a Waco tour/sightseeing bus service that drives by their renovated places and other city landmarks. Needless to say, I was shocked, amazed, and appalled all at the same time. Our once sleep college town was now a tourist attraction and crowded. So while I'm susper happy for their success and the amazing work they're doing to out Waco on the map it was not what I was expecting, not even close. We did eat at their Magnolia Cafe, the waiting line to get onto the waiting list was 1.5 hrs on a Sunday afternoon. As a student, if you had to wait more than 15 minutes for a table anywhere in town on a Friday was pretty rare. Thankfully Crickets bar was open, beers we're flowing, and my SIL's husband and I killed a few hours playing billairds and enjoying the AC.

TLDR: they changed Waco dramatically and it appears to be benefitting a lot of folks with the business and job opportunities
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 6:52:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
That is certainly the vibe I get from her.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea them VIBS Man
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#25]
They seem like decent people. She's not bad looking, either.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:08:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I would imagine the "vibes" all come from the "muh wife..sammich.." folks.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd be happy to disappoint her and that annoying voiced Christina skank. My fiance watches these shows all the time. I always have to remind her that real life doesn't work the way it does on the shows. I'd still like to eat both of their snatches after they scissor each other.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:10:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Don't ruin the mindless GD dogpile.  If a family promotes morals, family values, kids, etc., the anti-children, anti-Christian brigade will come out in droves in GD.  Yet GD can't get enough of leftist movie stars, actors, and entertainers.  GD is going to GD regardless, let them wallow in the mud.
View Quote
QFT
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
From those I know who've met them: they're weird and she's a massive cunt
View Quote
I can vouch for this.  From personal experience they are very demanding and expect everyone to bend over to suit their wants.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Seem like great folks but damn I hate hgtv and all the shows that are the identical thing.  How is that network still in business.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I can vouch for this.  From personal experience they are very demanding and expect everyone to bend over to suit their wants.
View Quote
Do tell.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Damn I'm shocked by some of these comments. I know fake news and all that shit, but Chip always has a smile on his face on the show and is always cracking jokes. Joanna the same. I find it hard to believe that shes a "cunt".

Sometimes I think people want something to be wrong with someone that is successful and living the American dream.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

One of my relatives made a pilgrimage up to their "Magnolia Market At The Silos" in Waco - Said that it was kind of pricey, and crowded as all getout.

Seems like the Gaines have single-handed changed the retail face of Waco, and the housing market of the entire surrounding area.

IIRC, they've now retired from making shows for HGTV to concentrate on raising their family. IMO, that speaks well of them.
View Quote
I’m sure the retail product lines in multiple national retailers with their name on it has nothing to do with that.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:20:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Damn I'm shocked by some of these comments. I know fake news and all that shit, but Chip always has a smile on his face on the show and is always cracking jokes. Joanna the same. I find it hard to believe that shes a "cunt".

Sometimes I think people want something to be wrong with someone that is successful and living the American dream.
View Quote
I don't know one way or another, but I will say is all you see them for is a few minutes when the camera is rolling.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#35]
The wife like the show. I think they are a bit too cutesy and silly at times.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Love it or List it is the one that irks me.

When Hillary (Christian Amanpour's near doppelganger) never seems to do a pre bid survey
and OMG, "I'm sorry to have to tell you the second bath I promised you is now out of the scope
of work because we have knob and tube buried all over the place behind undisturbed plaster in a
pre 1920 construction and my carpenter needs $8k to install a twelve foot three ply LVL because
(OMG again) unforeseen restructuring where we removed a bearing wall".

Part of her shtick for sure, but damn girl, that's some lead man you got there who cant determine
how a place would be framed from prior experience or pulling out a sounding tool. Stick to matching
the drapes with the carpet, ruffling David's multi-hued feathers, and conspicuously  clinging to
your first generation Brit London day academy accent
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I refuse to believe anything negative about them.

However, I wonder why they don't do a pre-purchase inspection since many of the major problems they uncover SHOULD have been discovered by said inspection.

They also do not appear to have a contingency fund to mitigate unforeseen issues.
View Quote
It's scripted to create "drama" for the show.  I have a colleague  that was on the Property Brother's show.  They were coached to show up and act surprised when they do the "discover" that's going to push them over their budget.

House Hunters is scripted too.  One of my best friends was on that show about 5 months after they had purchased their home.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#38]
The first episode
I saw was when Chip picked up a cockroach off the floor and popped it in his mouth and ate it! He had a smirk on his face like a 2 yr old wanting attention. I haven't liked them ever since.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:45:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
She has no idea what shiplap is, that's for sure. She just looks at any horizontal arrangement of boards and calls it shiplap. It's called that for a reason and it has a specific structure.

My mother in law tried to talk to me about it once and I had to explain it's a type of joint (a lap joint) that was intended to be weather resistant. These days thanks to HGTV people have no idea about anything, but they think they do.
View Quote
In Texas, shiplap was used to sheath walls both interior and exterior before the days of wall board came. Usually cloth decorative wall coverings were put right over the planks right up to the 1940’s. It’s often repurposed as decorative plank during remodels when its found and it’s so common in Texas that now designers here refer to any plank wall coverings as shiplap. We know it’s actually overlapping dados and would have been “caulked” in actual ship construction. It’s like every designer calling cast iron and forged steel “wrought iron” which doesn’t really exist in modern form..
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Interesting thread.

View Quote
Oh please don't ruin the GD narrative that she's a bitch (because they hate women) and that Chip is a beta cuck (because he does what his wife asks).
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
The folks I know in Waco hate how their restaurant and bakery have changed the feel of the town. That said, I enjoy their show and will try the restaurant when it either stays open past 3:00 pm or the wait drops to under an hour.
View Quote
They’be brought some life to a dying town.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
In true Arfcom fashion , people making negative post without having a clue on the subject matter first hand.

Except for the BIL comment .
View Quote
Yup. ARFCOM hates everything....except themselves. No debt, no motgage, $80,000 F 250 that they pull the heavy equipment with, no wife (they're all thieving cunts too), big dicks, etc.

It's a TV show.

Yeah, yeah, everyone is entitled to there opinion. Even Peter Strzok....now he's a douche! The rest of you Guys, stellar human beings I tell ya!
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#44]
I saw her in the grocery store once. No makeup, shorts, flip flops and a black wife beater, hair in a ponytail. Gorgeous, tiny little lady. Felt sorry for her actually. She didn’t even get 20’ in the store and was swamped by people wanting to talk to her.

Their restaurant sucks. It’s right next door to Rudy’s BBQ and the tourists use Rudy’s parking lot at lunchtime. Bastards. Friend of my sons and her mom went to their restaurant. $10 oatmeal.

My home value has shot up about $75k in 3 years supposedly because people see that show and have started moving to the area. There is a lot of people moving here. Great if you’re selling, sucks if you’re not. I’m not. Property tax rate is based on appraised value of your home and property.

I’ve honestly not watched that show once.

That’s all I have to offer.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#45]
A lot of our basement dwellers really hate women, especially successful happy ones.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 8:25:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Waco is a shit hole. You can throw a rock in any direction and hit a piece of crap house.
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#47]
So Chip is a beta male because he recognizes his wife's design talent/expertise and takes her advice?
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'll save you all some time and just sum up the next show....
"Shiplap and white subway tile."

You're welcome.
View Quote
Don’t forget the random fucking letter that get nailed all over the walls.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 8:50:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I saw her in the grocery store once. No makeup, shorts, flip flops and a black wife beater, hair in a ponytail. Gorgeous, tiny little lady. Felt sorry for her actually. She didn’t even get 20’ in the store and was swamped by people wanting to talk to her.

Their restaurant sucks. It’s right next door to Rudy’s BBQ and the tourists use Rudy’s parking lot at lunchtime. Bastards. Friend of my sons and her mom went to their restaurant. $10 oatmeal.

My home value has shot up about $75k in 3 years supposedly because people see that show and have started moving to the area. There is a lot of people moving here. Great if you’re selling, sucks if you’re not. I’m not. Property tax rate is based on appraised value of your home and property.

I’ve honestly not watched that show once.

That’s all I have to offer.
View Quote
So you hate capitalism and the fact that your home value shot up ?

Hmmm
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#50]
It’s not nearly the most annoying show on that network. They seem like a fairly normal family, something that doesn’t get on tv too much.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top