Firearms insurance (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/25/2024 4:14:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26]
Paid my annual premium so figured I’d pitch you guys a reminder

I use Eastern insurance, Laura Sewall
$50k/ $175/yr

No appraisal, no serial numbers (unlike usaa and State Farm)

Seems like arfcom has also been happy with “Collectibles”?

Don’t rely on your homeowner’s policy.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#2]
So much contact info, I'm, like, overwhelmed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BolivarBill:
So much contact info, I'm, like, overwhelmed.
View Quote

I’m not here to shill for my insurance agent (actually Jack was my agent, he died, Laura assumed his book)
But if you’re interested

(800) 545-9326

The thread is about stirring your mind to protect your assets/hobby/ evaluate your current coverage.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Good reminder OP.  My boat insurance didn't cover my guns when I lost them all in the boating accident.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#5]
That's who I use.  Would be interested to here from anyone that has actually had a claim & got paid.  

Easy to send in my check every year, but will they actually take care of me when I need it?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By dump1567:
That's who I use.  Would be interested to here from anyone that has actually had a claim & got paid.  

Easy to send in my check every year, but will they actually take care of me when I need it?
View Quote

I’m more worried about my life insurance companies. But I hear ya
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Firearms ARE your insurance.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:34:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bradpierson26] [#8]
Originally Posted By insider:
Firearms ARE your insurance.
View Quote

Is this a 2 is one metaphor?
Reinsurance
That’s a CPCU joke lol
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:37:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#9]
How much was your annual premium?

It's hard to evaluate these companies on their merits as they do tend to be generally inexpensive, but there are rarely many data points for how easy or amenable the company is as fortunately it is rarely needed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Echd:
How much was your annual premium?

It's hard to evaluate these companies on their merits as they do tend to be generally inexpensive, but there are rarely many data points for how easy or amenable the company is as fortunately it is rarely needed.
View Quote

$175/yr for $50k
Single items over $10k need S/n
Covers NVGs, ammo, NFA

@echd
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I use Eastern as well. $300ish premium per year for $100k coverage. I researched them beforehand, and multiple arfcommers have successfully filed claims with Easter and been paid without issue.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#12]
OP got his  stuff in order.  Good for him.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#14]
yall have the link to the insurance providers??

Want to make sure its the right one.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Underaid702:
yall have the link to the insurance providers??

Want to make sure its the right one.
View Quote

No website for eastern that I know of. Just Laura’s email in the OP
Other arfcommers use Collectors
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:11:57 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

Many years ago, I had USAA valuable property insurance to cover what at the time was a pretty meager collection of guns and hunting stuff. I dropped a range finder while deer hunting and could not find it. They covered the replacement cost.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By topgunpilot20:
I use Eastern as well. $300ish premium per year for $100k coverage. I researched them beforehand, and multiple arfcommers have successfully filed claims with Easter and been paid without issue.
View Quote

Collectibles premium was nearly double that for me. But other factors may play into that more than the company.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:19:30 PM EDT
[#18]
We use CollectInsure.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:50:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#19]
I thought people were pissed at Eastern because the customer service started to suck.

I think someone even tried to file a claim and the company was difficult.

Originally Posted By Missilegeek:

Collectibles premium was nearly double that for me. But other factors may play into that more than the company.
View Quote

No other factors, it's commonly stated Eastern is less expensive.

ETA: Stated in the NfA thread:
Originally Posted By NAM:
I have Eastern, but I'll be dumping them at renewal. CIS is twice the price, but they're responsive at least. Laura with Eastern will go no comm, forget policy changes, forget to return calls/emails, and generally does not instill confidence. If I ever need to file a claim, I need to have 100% trust in my insurer.
View Quote

This isn’t the first time it has been stated and not just on this forum. It is grounds for concern imho.

As for lack of reviews on claims. I would think that someone who goes to the time and expense of insuring their firearms probably keeps their stuff locked up.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Jack was awesome. Laura is a dumpster fire. I'm going elsewhere when this term is up.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

$175/yr for $50k
Single items over $10k need S/n
Covers NVGs, ammo, NFA

@echd
View Quote

Not only does it cover NFA, but it also covers replacement cost + stamp

They also have riders if you reload or have a cache of 200K larger rifle primers from 2016 during the salad days
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By NAM:
Jack was awesome. Laura is a dumpster fire. I'm going elsewhere when this term is up.
View Quote

It’s still jack Richardson in my iPhone lol
She’s not amazing but maybe my standards are lower lol
No serious complaints from me
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm with Eastern!
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I do Collect Insure. I should probably re-do it since I'm probably lacking in coverage.

I like them. I've emailed them and usually got a response, but I've never had to file a claim.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DirtyHandsRob:
I do Collect Insure. I should probably re-do it since I'm probably lacking in coverage.

I like them. I've emailed them and usually got a response, but I've never had to file a claim.
View Quote

Collect was almost 2x the price
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:03:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jbntex] [#26]
I use eastern as well and have been with them for at least 15 years.

I am at $500K for $1200ish per year.  I have to schedule any guns over $50K which means providing serial numbers and formal written appraisal for them from somebody qualified to appraise them.

Laura is no Jack for sure but options in this space at this policy value are really limited.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By jbntex:

I am at $500K for $1200ish per year.  I have to schedule any guns over $50K which means providing serial numbers and formal written appraisal for them from somebody qualified to appraise them.

Laura is no Jack for sure but options in this space at this policy value are really limited.

View Quote

The real ammo whores have arrived.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:35:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jbntex] [#28]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The part I am not looking forward to in July when i have to renew is I have not adjusted my policy value in probably 6+ years because Eastern has not adjusted my premiums (unlike every other insurance product I have).

I kinda figured the renewals were on auto pilot and I didnt want to rock that boat by asking for changes and a requote.

I justfied being under insured by thinking there is no way it could all get stolen or destroyed at one time.

Each year the gap has grown due to appreciation and new acquistions.  I am now probably under-insured by at least $400K when it come to replacement value so am probably going to have to bite the bullet and requote this year.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:37:22 PM EDT
[#29]
I have Eastern.  No complaints, but never had a claim.  I only have $50k in coverage, so it's just a bandaid in the event of a house fire.  Not enough to replace my stuff, but enough to cover some basics.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:41:42 PM EDT
[#30]

The part I am not looking forward to in July when i have to renew is I have not adjusted my policy value in probably 6+ years because Eastern has not adjusted my premiums (unlike every other insurance product I have).

I kinda figured the renewals were on auto pilot and I didnt want to rock that boat by asking for changes and a requote.

I justfied being under insured by thinking there is no way it could all get stolen or destroyed at one time.

Each year the gap has grown due to appreciation and new acquistions.  I am now probably under-insured by at least $400K when it come to replacement value so am probably going to have to bite the bullet and requote this year.
View All Quotes

Just get another policy for the difference with the other guys and keep your cheap rate. And if the worst happens, and one company screws you, you can salvage the other policy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:54:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Just get another policy for the difference with the other guys and keep your cheap rate. And if the worst happens, and one company screws you, you can salvage the other policy.
View All Quotes

Might be a good idea.

On the other hand with that kind of value, if they screwed you I'd expect a very serious lawsuit to be directed their way.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:55:16 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Not a bad idea that is at least worth investigating more.

Collect Insure is the only other company that will quote this stuff that I know of at this level and their premiums are usually much higher.  

We use USAA for everything else and they laughed at me 20 years ago when i asked for $100k in gun coverage.

There is also the issue of the scheduled guns.  I can't remove them without a requote and I can't adjust them without a new appraisal and requote.

My M60 is scheduled with Eastern for I think $55K but there is no way I could replace a transferable M60E6 for $55K today and mine is a "cheap one" being an RIA gun.

I will probably just ask for a mil and hope there is a another price break at that level.

I know first world problems.....
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:05:17 PM EDT
[#33]

Collect Insure is the only other company that will quote this stuff that I know of at this level and their premiums are usually much higher.  

We use USAA for everything else and they laughed at me 20 years ago when i asked for $100k in gun coverage.

There is also the issue of the scheduled guns.  I can't remove them without a requote and I can't adjust them without a new appraisal and requote.

My M60 is scheduled with Eastern for I think $55K but there is no way I could replace a transferable M60E6 for $55K today and mine is a "cheap one" being an RIA gun.

I will probably just ask for a mil and hope there is a another price break at that level.

View Quote

Haha awesome
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:05:33 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

You could buy what the media calls "an arsenal" with your annual firearm ins premiums.

That's American as fuck.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:06:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#35]
CIS quoted me $780 for $250k in coverage. Dunno if that covers NODs and ammo.

Will try Eastern tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:18:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Insurance man here. Everybody do what the OP says.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:46:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Missilegeek] [#37]
Originally Posted By Pallas:
CIS quoted me $780 for $250k in coverage. Dunno if that covers NODs and ammo.

Will try Eastern tomorrow.
View Quote

They assured me that it covers ammo, reloading, all manner of accessories and optics. I guess I should actually read the policy.

Edit yeah it covers virtually anything that has to do with guns or knives. The key phrase in my policy is "related equipment." The agent stated that's ammo, slings, optics, cases, mags... All accessories. I did not specifically ask about night vision, but it seems weird to exclude that and not ammo cans or whatever. If you have lasers and shoot at night, it is clearly related equipment.

It covers shipping, so no reason to further insure ammo/weapon shipments for purchase/sale. There's travel coverage. So if you don't ever travel or don't bring a ton of stuff with you, you might be able to lower that line of coverage and the premium that goes with it.

Doesn't cover animals ruining your stuff in storage, or if it gets water damaged within 6" of the floor of a basement.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:48:59 PM EDT
[#38]
I have the extra ammo coverage from Eastern.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:34:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#39]

They assured me that it covers ammo, reloading, all manner of accessories and optics. I guess I should actually read the policy.
View Quote

I’m going to phone them up.

You don’t have to give a s/n unless it is over $25k (only thing I have over that are a pair of NODs) and they at least have a website to get a quote.

Eastern apparently got bought by another company, or merged. I’m not dealing with an agent who doesn’t have it together, I live in FL, bad agent is a massive red flag. But, even if it double, CI seems to have few to no complaints.

ETA, thank you for the further explanation. I wonder if the firearm blows up or gets run over if they will cover it. I’ll ask tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:38:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Missilegeek] [#40]

You don’t have to give a s/n unless it is over $25k (only thing I have over that are a pair of NODs) and they at least have a website. I can’t find a Website for Eastern.
View All Quotes

You don’t have to give a s/n unless it is over $25k (only thing I have over that are a pair of NODs) and they at least have a website. I can’t find a Website for Eastern.

Quad tubes or something?

If it can be split up into multiple items, that might make it easier on that requirement.

If you don't mind sharing, let us know what they say. I'd be curious what they say about nods. Honestly, I'd be shocked if it's not covered as per my long winded edit above.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:40:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#41]

Quad tubes or something?

If it can be split up into multiple items, that might make it easier on that requirement.

If you don't mind, I'd be curious what they say about nods. I'd be shocked if it's not covered as per my long winded edit above.
View Quote

Sorry, I'm an idiot, I was thinking $10k from another insurance company.

Nah, quads are heavy, I wouldn't buy a pair unless I had a no shit real world need for them.

If I recall from other posts, the premium difference between CI and Eastern shrunk a good deal when the values got higher. Don’t quote me on that though.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:34:07 AM EDT
[#42]
I have Collectibles. Never have made a claim.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:04:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: c8z06] [#43]
Originally Posted By sparkyfender2:
I have Collectibles. Never have made a claim.
View Quote

Same here.

$250K policy is $831.02/year.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:28:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BoRdErBaCoN] [#44]
Originally Posted By topgunpilot20:
View Quote

Frig, I might change from Collectors Insurance.  They are like $900 for $165k.  If I could cut that in half, that would be great.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:07:53 AM EDT
[#45]

View Quote
This, like USCCA, turned out to be a scam.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:30:55 AM EDT
[#46]
I have had Collectibles for years, emailed Eastern about 2 years ago for a quote and never heard back.  That's  a big nope for me, if a company is unresponsive before they have your money it usually doesn't get better once they do.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:48:15 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

USAA.............lol.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:52:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Be careful with having two insurers for the same thing, it can be a beurocratic nightmare if you have to make a claim. I've heard of instances where neither pay,  both insisting the other is the primary.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Who only owns $50k in guns?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:10:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By chmodx:
Who only owns $50k in guns?
View Quote
Hobos?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Firearms insurance (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top