Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Has Spain been notified?
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 9:38:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I worked for the US Forest Service I found a rifle leaned up against a tree that was heavily rusted/pitted. I couldn't get the bolt open. Someone likely hunting leaned it against a tree and walked off and forgot where they left it. It's still there I guess.
View Quote

Were there any red ferns in the area?
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Use the penny rule. Find a penny pick it up, and stfu.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 10:20:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Stfu
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/3/2022 10:33:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I hardly ever report any machine guns that I find.
View Quote

Hardly ever!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 10:36:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Llewelyn Moss found some guns.
View Quote

He fucked around and found out!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 10:43:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I assume it varies wildly by state.

I imagine once it’s in the hands of the police, your chances of “finders keepers” are gone, even if it wasn’t stolen or used in a crime. Even if it would be legal for them to release it to you after it’s been cleared, I’m sure they could tie it up in rep tape for as long as it takes for you to give up on it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So what is the rule/law regarding this?

I mean let’s say you’re hiking in the woods and walking through some thickets, and come across a half buried old hunting rifle under some thickets, or something.

Do you get to keep it? Do you turn it over to police?

I imagine that there is always the potential that it was used in a crime, so contacting the police might not be a bad idea. But if it wasn’t, they will probably still confiscate or destroy it, just as a matter of policy.

Another route to go would be to try to trace the serial number and contact the owner, in case it’s a lost firearm.

But say that turns into a dead end. Original owner died years ago, no NOK. Do you get to keep it?

I just read an article today about a Florida man who pulled two sniper rifles out of the river while “magnet fishing” with his grandson. Apparently that’s a thing. The guy was former military and knew what they were. He took them home, cleaned them up, discovered that the serial numbers were ground off. So ofcourse then he contacted the police because ground off serial numbers are a very bad sign.

I once had an old neighbor who discovered a WW2 Arisaka rifle in an attic when he moved into a new house. He was into shooting and military rifles, so he knew what it was. He kept it. (ETA: He has since passed away).

Obviously if you find a glock or hi-point pistol on a street corner in the hood, or some place like that. It’s proabably stolen, or was used in a crime. Probably want to inform the police. But there are situations outside of that one, kind of like the ones I described.

What are the formal legal responsibilities one has, if having found something?
View Quote

OP IS GLOWING

Link Posted: 2/3/2022 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That old thing? Been in the family since I can remember.
View Quote

If it was reported stolen, anyone in the family who possesses it could be charged with possession of stolen property...  I wouldn't want to risk it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I assume it varies wildly by state.

I imagine once it's in the hands of the police, your chances of "finders keepers" are gone, even if it wasn't stolen or used in a crime. Even if it would be legal for them to release it to you after it's been cleared, I'm sure they could tie it up in rep tape for as long as it takes for you to give up on it.
View Quote

It does vary widely by state.

Most places found property over a certain value reported to the police has to be held in safekeeping for a period of time before the finder can claim.

It's really not difficult to get guns back from the police that aren't subject to an evidentiary hold in most places that aren't CA/NY et al.

It's difficult because most people haven't ever tried to do it and most police department employees that don't work in the property room are ignorant of the process.

Generally you just fill out a form and they run a III on you to check for the same thing a NICS check looks for and it gets released either immediately or in a few days...

Most of the time there is red tape for getting stolen guns back is because they were logged as an item of evidence when they were found relating to the possession of stolen property by the suspect. Evidence items usually require approval from everyone from the case officer to the prosecutor to be released if the case is still open, plus in many cases a court motion whether the case is open or closed as many jurisdictions require evidence to be held for a set period of time following disposition in case there is an appeal challenging evidence issues.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#11]
@OP

I literary made a fucking thread about this. STFU about it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Friend and I were duck hunting out of my boat and used a small dirt road to launch from. We hunted and loaded up the boat and came home about an hour away. Soon as I took my gun out of the truck he said "I left my gun laying on the ground when we loaded up". Drove back and hour and it was still there. Really surprised someone didn't notice as there were other hunters. But he laid it down near the trees.
View Quote
Had the same thing happen to me, except someone stole my shotgun.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sure be a lot of "thickets" up in this mother fucker!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49274/Thickets-2264615.jpg
View Quote
LAWL meme brigade is out in full force.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top