Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2023 12:38:13 PM EDT
Does anyone have any advice on how to find Booker's, Eagle Rare, Blanton's, or really any of the allocated stuff? Trying to collect some of the harder to get bourbons but not having any luck without paying way above MSRP. Have called all the local stores, one said might get some Booker's or Eagle Rare first week of Feb.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#1]
OP, where are you located?
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Does anyone have any advice on how to find Booker's, Eagle Rare, Blanton's, or really any of the allocated stuff? Trying to collect some of the harder to get bourbons but not having any luck without paying way above MSRP. Have called all the local stores, one said might get some Booker's or Eagle Rare first week of Feb.
View Quote

What State?
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Central IL
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Central IL
View Quote

Blantons is impossible here. The others can be found at Benny’s.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#5]
It was Binnys that said they may get some eagle Rare and Booker's at the beginning of the month. Didn't even ask about Pappy or George Stagg
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Pick a store, shop there regularly, and don't be a pest.

We aren't interested in having yet another guy pestering us for allocated bourbons while buying nothing else.

-Sincerely, Store Managers Everywhere
Link Posted: 1/31/2023 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:46:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Do 90% of my shopping at one larger store. Not a huge drinker so probably not on their radar. Not until recently have I tried to get anything allocated. I did score a bottle of Weller Special Reserve today - nothing special I know but will be fun to try none the less.

Might have a lead on some ORVW. Below secondary pricing but above retail. Will look into it more tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 12:22:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#10]
What I found out works best:  Find a small to medium sized shop.  Local chain with a couple stores or a mom and pop, not a big chain.  Go in a couple times a week, be friendly, buy something, make some small talk.  Ask what days would be good to stop by (when they get shipments).  Once they know you, some they'll often hold stuff for regulars or at least give you a heads up they got something good.  

OR join a FB group and watch for posts about good stores or places that just got a good shipment.  A lot of shops have social media presence as well and will post when they get allocated stuff.  The best bottle I got recently was at a last minute raffle.  Got about a 30 minute notice on that one and snagged an EH Taylor Barrel Proof for ~$80.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 10:24:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Have you tried bribes?  My boss is always giving me bottles.  I have like several eagle rare, blanton's, Elmer, Stagg etc and I am pretty sure he bribes the guy at the store.  I don't even drink at home so I have like 25 bottles sitting.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I have not tried any bribes as I am trying to get stuff around retail cost.

Although for a Van Winkle I would definitely pay over retail. I did think about telling the lady who runs the liquor department at a grocery store that I will give her a $100 if she ever gets any van winkle and holds it for me... she claimed they got 3 bottles a few months ago.

My wife has actually had pretty good luck since I started this post. She joined a FB group. (I don't have FB) At retail she has managed to snag - EH Taylor Small Batch, Eagle Rare, Weller SR, and Blanton's. I also found a Booker's a state away that I am traveling too soon and I talked the manager into holding it for me.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I quit going to the big nice fancy liquor stores around town and went to the ones where the Kentucky Delux and Busch Light crowd go. I’ve had a good amount of success that way.

That said, I’ve all but stopped hunting. So long as Rare Breed, WT101, OF Whiskey Row Series, WR Double Oaked, Knob Creek, and Stranahans exist, I’m good to go. Apart from BTAC and Stagg, the others just don’t do anything extra for me enough to hunt them down and spend the asking price anyway.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:02:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I've probably lost my mind but I'm about ready to pay secondary pricing for ORVW. I can get it for $550 - does anyone know of better pricing elsewhere? I think I can be patient for the rest of the Van Winkle line up, and patient for more Blanton's to collect all the toppers but I've gotta have this bottle. It is an OCD type thing.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've probably lost my mind but I'm about ready to pay secondary pricing for ORVW. I can get it for $550 - does anyone know of better pricing elsewhere? I think I can be patient for the rest of the Van Winkle line up, and patient for more Blanton's to collect all the toppers but I've gotta have this bottle. It is an OCD type thing.
View Quote

I paid $70 for a pour of ORVW and I was incredibly disappointed. Don’t get me wrong, it was good, but there is better pit there for cheaper. I’m glad I tried it so I don’t have to hunt it
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:25:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Try to find a place that you can buy a dram. This has saved me thousands in the long run. They only $150 + I’ve found worth it was Kentucky owl batch 9 and 11.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I paid $70 for a pour of ORVW and I was incredibly disappointed. Don’t get me wrong, it was good, but there is better pit there for cheaper. I’m glad I tried it so I don’t have to hunt it
View Quote

Some of my desire for ORVW might just be shelf appeal - although stupid having a Van Winkle appeals to me.

Honestly over the last two weeks I've been having an oz or two of MM cask strength or WT rare breed most evenings. Those two seem as good to me as anything else. Both are affordable and easy to find. I've just been setting up a small bar area and as dumb as it sounds I wouldn't mind a few "trophies" on the shelf.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 1:27:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 6:24:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would let mine go for less then that.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I know what he's talking about to am extent.  I'm at the point with my collection where I have "most" of the bottles I want outside of eagle rare, Weller's, eht, Blanton's and of course orvw.  I don't know if I'd ever even drink it, it would just be to look pretty in the bar shelf.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Have you tried bribes?  My boss is always giving me bottles.  I have like several eagle rare, blanton's, Elmer, Stagg etc and I am pretty sure he bribes the guy at the store.  I don't even drink at home so I have like 25 bottles sitting.
View Quote

I’ve made “friends” with a couple of store managers by sharing samples of the hard-to-find items that I get from their stores and items I bring in from out-of-state that would never show up in my area. I go to Arizona a couple of times per year and scour for Mezcal and Tequila that would never be found on shelves in the Midwest. They seem to appreciate it and I’ve gotten a few highly allocated bottles in the process.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:05:54 PM EDT
[#24]
I just started hunting some harder to find bourbons in the fall. I’ve found Blantons, ER, Weller, and some other allocated bottles. The ones that I have tried are not worth the hype and usually the inflated price. Eagle rare is a great 10 year if you can find it under $35. I agree with others, start buying at a few smaller shops, make relationships, and buy some store picks once in a while. EH Taylor (both small batch and single barell) are great if you can find it. A few of my favorites so far in my short bourbon journey have been Elijah Craig Toasted, Russell’s (10yr and single barrel), McKenna 10 year, and Larceny Barrel Proof C922. Find a few good ones that you enjoy and enjoy the hunt, cheers!
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#25]
My wife had a great Valentine's day surprise for me - Old Rip Van Winkle. Unfortunately she did not get it at retail but it was nearly $500 cheaper than the cheapest bottle that sold on unicorn auctions last Sunday. This is the only bottle that has been above retail.

I'm thinking I will lower my bar shelf in our pantry and add a 2nd one above it. I'm excited to open the Eagle Rare and the EHT Small Batch as I have two of each and want to keep one incase I choose to gift it.

This sure is an addictive hobby... Not in the I'm drinking too much sense, but hunting for certain bottles. I'm now on the hunt for Wild Turkey Masters Keep One..... As well as several others.

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My wife had a great Valentine's day surprise for me - Old Rip Van Winkle. Unfortunately she did not get it at retail but it was nearly $500 cheaper than the cheapest bottle that sold on unicorn auctions last Sunday. This is the only bottle that has been above retail.

I'm thinking I will lower my bar shelf in our pantry and add a 2nd one above it. I'm excited to open the Eagle Rare and the EHT Small Batch as I have two of each and want to keep one incase I choose to gift it.

This sure is an addictive hobby... Not in the I'm drinking too much sense, but hunting for certain bottles. I'm now on the hunt for Wild Turkey Masters Keep One..... As well as several others.

https://imgdump5.novarata.net/036odt.jpg

https://imgdump5.novarata.net/a8g6di.jpg

View Quote

Do I see a SmokeWagon in the first pic? I'm trying to convince my son to check baggage next time he flies home and bring me a bottle from TX. Can't get here in OH.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#27]
It can be done.
Build a relationship with a local store.
A local grocery store (a chain actually) that I go to has a liquor department.
I make sure to make small talk with 2 of the employees, and the other day as I walk
in the entrance one says "See me before you leave." Come to find out they got in some
Buffalo Trace and she set aside a bottle in case I wanted it. Since the budget is tight
and I already have one, I said "thank You but the budget doesn't allow it this paycheck".
However, I did go back and give her a bunch of pens during my next shopping trip.
(There are never enough pens at the checkout) I will continue to encourage her to do things like this, but never
anything that might get her fired. Who knows what I may find?
(They started carrying Rare Breed Rye because of me. So I buy it when I can)
Who knows what is next?
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 8:52:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Just a follow up to my last story.
I was in the same store on Sunday, just to get a few essentials.
I go in through the liquor store entrance as it is the closest to the parking lot.
The Other employee asked if I was interested in a couple of bottles.
I said it depends on what and how much.
Turns out it was Blanton's and Eagle Rare at MSRP. So I said "Hell Yes."
Wasn't planned, but the budget had enough in it to go for a splurge.
The strange thing is that I never knew that they ever got either Blanton's or Eagle Rare.
Make friends, you just might get lucky. I did.

Just have to figure out how to say Thank You without it being an obvious bribe.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:03:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I've been trying to be nice to the employees and not be fake but compliment their opinions when I can.

Yes it is smoke wagon small batch. It's not bad, but honestly it doesn't do much for me. Maybe the uncut unfiltered is better?
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 11:20:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 9:59:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

My bad, I thought that's what you had.
I've only had the uc/uf, and I rather like it.

Nice blend of high rye with sweet.

Mine is 114/115 proof, and seems to drink below proof.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been trying to be nice to the employees and not be fake but compliment their opinions when I can.

Yes it is smoke wagon small batch. It's not bad, but honestly it doesn't do much for me. Maybe the uncut unfiltered is better?

My bad, I thought that's what you had.
I've only had the uc/uf, and I rather like it.

Nice blend of high rye with sweet.

Mine is 114/115 proof, and seems to drink below proof.

I have the Smokewagon uncut unfiltered in both black and white labels.... I wonder if they are different somehow besides the label...?
Go lt them on a trip to AZ last year and haven't opened either yet. I have a number of OTHER open bottles I need to work through.
Link Posted: 2/21/2023 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Pick a store, shop there regularly, and don't be a pest.

We aren't interested in having yet another guy pestering us for allocated bourbons while buying nothing else.

-Sincerely, Store Managers Everywhere
View Quote

Yup this.  I pick one and shop there.  I get offered stuff I am not even "looking" for.  I am not collector though.  I am a drinker and a novice at that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top