Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/14/2020 1:14:49 PM EDT
To not clog up the deals thread and an attempt to avoid buying crappy filament what brands and types have you tried or recommend

just getting started with printing I have only used esun PLA +  but it does seem to print nice, and others have commented the same,  I have read Hatchbox is really good rated #1 on a google search, I have a spool of Anycube PLA and will try that out next see how it does
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Of those I've tried so far

Pros:
eSun PLA+
Hatchbox PLA
Amazon Basics PLA
eSun PETG
Overture PETG

Cons:
Sunlu PLA+
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#2]
My favorites:

Fusion Filament HTPLA+
3D Fuel Pro PLA
Atomic Filament PETG

OK:

Esun PLA+ and PETG are decent but made in China, I have gotten a bad roll before. And the above are just better.
Priline TPU
CCTree PLA

Junk:

Sunlu PLA+
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 8:53:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I use whatever cheap crap I can find and am not (usually) in the habit of blaming the filament (or printer) if something is getting sidewards.
Different filaments and printers can like different things. Man up and figure out what that is and you will be much better off.

I had a roll once that I just hated and could not get to print well to save my life, chalked it up to bad filament.
Well, I gave that roll to a buddy with a printer, his prints with it turned out fantastic. Fkr
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 1:55:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I usually run whatever is cheapest and really haven't had too many problems with bad pla. I've even used cheap noname ebay stuff and was happy enough with the results for how cheap it was
. I did recently use a roll of overture red pla that did stand out as easy to use with nice print quality but at $25 it was the most I've ever paid for a roll so there is a you get what you pay for situation here.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 7:22:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have read Hatchbox is really good rated #1 on a google search
View Quote

Their silver is my go to for prototype printing. Good qality to value.

Just avoid their Black PLA.
Seriously, just the Black. I have had great luck with every other color I have tried from them.

Had three spools of black over about two years and ended up pitching every one. Not sure why but by about half way thur the spool the filiment becomes brittle enough it snaps like spigetti and you can't even melt it with a lighter.
Link Posted: 10/15/2020 2:57:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I've done a few spools of Filacube PLA 2 & very happy with the results.  Tough & not as brittle as old style PLA, you print it a bit hotter than traditional PLA.  Apparently a USA built product unless they are pulling a fast one.  Not quite as much color selection as some vendors.  eSun PLA+ is another dependable product for me, but not a USA product.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Seriously, just the Black. I have had great luck with every other color I have tried from them.

Had three spools of black over about two years and ended up pitching every one. Not sure why but by about half way thur the spool the filiment becomes brittle enough it snaps like spigetti and you can't even melt it with a lighter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have read Hatchbox is really good rated #1 on a google search

That's very interesting to me. Hatchbox has a good reputation but I've used two rolls and it made the do not buy again list. Both of them were black.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 5:51:55 PM EDT
[#9]
My Favorites so far:

PLA : Hatchbox, Amazon Basics

PETG : Solutech (I print 95% of my projects in PETG)

Im printing a part right now in Taulman 910 Nylon that is printing beautifully.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My Favorites so far:

PLA : Hatchbox, Amazon Basics

PETG : Solutech (I print 95% of my projects in PETG)

Im printing a part right now in Taulman 910 Nylon that is printing beautifully.
View Quote

For the 910, are you using an enclosure? I have a roll that I’ve not broken into yet.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#11]
(Oops)
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#12]
@cudakid03 ^
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 9:37:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not at the moment, but I am getting a little warpage on larger parts. Used it to print some parts for the hellfire lower today. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:29:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Of those I've tried so far

Pros:
eSun PLA+
Hatchbox PLA
Amazon Basics PLA
eSun PETG
Overture PETG

Cons:
Sunlu PLA+
View Quote

Gotta update my thoughts on Sunlu...  The Blue version gave me lots of issues with bed adhesion, but the Green PLA+ has printed quite well for me so far.  Just broke into if for a Firebolt Lower, and it's been night and day compared to the Blue PLA+.

Might have to give the Blue another shot.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:40:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's very interesting to me. Hatchbox has a good reputation but I've used two rolls and it made the do not buy again list. Both of them were black.
View Quote

Yeah, I have had 5-6 other colors from them with little to no issue. Guessing it is something with the pigments they use to make it.

At 20+ spools, not counting black, the only other issue I have had one with a rough surface finish on the filiment. It still has the normal cheap filiment issue where if you leave it idel under tension to the hot end for exstended period of time it will get brittle, and possibly break. However, at half the price of prusament which is what I use for finished projects, that is a small inconvenence.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#16]
AIO Robotics PETG filament got me spoiled.  Never had to fiddle with it.  Recently tried a few other brands and am pulling my hair out trying to get it dialed in.

Link Posted: 10/25/2020 3:15:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Inland PETG (bright red) sucks.  Cannot stop it from oozing and stringing, doesn't adhere to bed, doesn't even want to fuse to itself.

Trying to print a simple rectangular box, if I lower the temperature to 220 then I get a bunch of separate strands only fused at the corners.  If I raise it to 230 the layers fuse but it blobs and strings everywhere.  An inch of it oozes out of the print nozzle in the time that it takes to warm up.

I can't wait to run out of this spool of garbage so I can go back to something that works.
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 12:12:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I have been using all of these from Amazon and have had no problems at all:

Hatchbox PLA (True Black, Yellow)
ZHUOPU PLA in Silk Purple
Geeetech PLA (metallic gold) -- this brand has the 3" diameter spools; I needed to make a 74mm spool adapter for my printer so that it wouldn't sit on the printer and not turn
YOUSU Silk PLA in Pink
Link Posted: 11/15/2020 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#19]
For the Ender 3 I've had good luck with eSun PLA+ and Overture PLA, both in black. The old Makerbot Mini, Makerbot PLA worked okay in both the black and translucent, but I could never find a combination of settings that would print their white PLA. I haven't tried using it in the Ender though, so there may be a way to get it to go there.

One thing I have noticed about the Overture- it's not spectacularly consistent between rolls, but I haven't had one that I couldn't come up with some way to make it work. For instance, last roll I had no problem printing with a bed temperature of 54, and it didn't matter if I was using the glass bed or the magnetic one, but the current roll I have to use the hairspray trick to get it to adhere, no matter what temperature I set it at.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#20]
What is a good orange PLA?  I need to print hardware for my Lack stand.

I found the Hatchbox on Amazon, but the reviews say the quality has gone downhill.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I've had good luck with Filacube's PLA 2 (second generation).  They claim to be USA made filament.  Haven't tried their orange, but all the colors I've tried (natural, brown, black, white, green, red) have printed beautifully.  Here's an amazon product page.   They list both an orange (carrot orange) & a burnt orange (texas longhorn orange).

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 12/6/2020 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Thank you.  Any idea which might closely match Prusa orange?
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 11:20:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thank you.  Any idea which might closely match Prusa orange?
View Quote

Prusament Orange PETG
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Are the Prusa printer parts printed with PETG?  Is that what I should use for the hardware?  Shit, this learning curve.
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Are the Prusa printer parts printed with PETG?  Is that what I should use for the hardware?  Shit, this learning curve.
View Quote

Yes Prusa has printed all their parts from petg for years.
Although if you are looking for the best color match it is hard to beat using the same color and material the manufacture used to print the parts in the first place.

https://shop.prusa3d.com/en/prusament/801-prusament-petg-prusa-orange-1kg.html
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 12:45:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm reading the PETG is less forgiving than PLA, (and needs an enclosure).  Will PLA work for the hardware on my enclosure?
Link Posted: 12/6/2020 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I busted out a roll of ANYCUBIC red pla that I had bought because of the deals thread. I swear it's the same stuff as overture which means it is printing nicely.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 1:30:39 AM EDT
[#29]
My first Esun PLA+ roll did great.

My second one I've had brittle spots in it twice now and it broke during printing.

Currenting calibrating Overture PETG Black with my Ender 5, took a bit to get my bed leveled right so it would stick. Working on retraction settings now.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Esun PLA+ in Blue = Printing great, 1/2 way thru the roll, no breaks, good finish, very little stringing.

Esun PLA+ in Cool White = Snaps after every print, and occasionally in retraction during a print.  Snaps in the bowden tube I don't know how many times during a print, and will leave you stringing and blobs like a hot mess when it does.  Snaps once at the extruder, once after the extruder, and once at the hole in the filament dehydrator if it's left overnight.  Gave up after 1/3 of the roll used, and it's going in the trash.  The white free stuff that came with the printer was a better product.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I recently noticed that Prusa is offering three Fiberthree filaments,
Any experience with Fiberthree?  I'm looking for the absolute best (most strong / durable) filament money can buy for printing lower receivers and frames.  My current plan is Prusament PC (polycarbonate) blend.  Any experience with Prusament PC?
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:19:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Had a nice experience with main importer of Esun today.  I use a lot of it for my side job. Got a bad roll in the last batch I bought so I shot them and email over the weekend.  They noted they had a bad batch and are going to send me a replacement.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I recently noticed that Prusa is offering three Fiberthree filaments,
Any experience with Fiberthree?  I'm looking for the absolute best (most strong / durable) filament money can buy for printing lower receivers and frames.  My current plan is Prusament PC (polycarbonate) blend.  Any experience with Prusament PC?
View Quote

You might think Im crazy, but wood fiber filaments might be stronger than the glass or carbon stuff.

Interesting results in this vid

How strong is a 3D Printed part?

My best guess is the wood fibers are coarse enough to give the plastic something to grab onto, whereas carbon and glass would be too slippery to add strength with as short as they are for this stuff.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:59:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Friend of mine tried to make an AR lower out of spray-glued toilet paper once.  Yay wood fiber!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:27:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Any particular Nylon with carbon fiber brands to recommend?

Or any to stay far away from?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:14:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 11:18:19 AM EDT
[#38]
New to using eSun PLA+ and have some questions about it.

On the roll, it states optimum hot end temp to be between 215-220. Printing a heat tower with it, my best results come in at 205. My question is, should I print at 205, or the recommended from eSun? Is there any more or less strength from printing at a lower then recommended temp?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Your tested settings trump their settings.
View Quote

^ this

On both of my machines I print esun pla+ at 220

I've seen people run it anywhere from 200 to 235.  At the end of the day run the tests.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:36:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks. Kind of what I thought but wanted to make sure before heading into a 3 day mac daddy print.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
New to using eSun PLA+ and have some questions about it.

On the roll, it states optimum hot end temp to be between 215-220. Printing a heat tower with it, my best results come in at 205. My question is, should I print at 205, or the recommended from eSun? Is there any more or less strength from printing at a lower then recommended temp?
View Quote

http://www.esun3d.net/products/142.html
You might take a closer look at the roll and read the temps again. My rolls all say “205 - 225”, and that’s what their web site suggests.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

http://www.esun3d.net/products/142.html
You might take a closer look at the roll and read the temps again. My rolls all say “205 - 225”, and that’s what their web site suggests.
View Quote

Sorry you are correct, but in the page that comes in the box, I believe they state most users have best results at the 215-220 temp.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You may want to define "best results"

best cosmetic results are usually not the same as the strongest results (layer to layer adhesion), which usually takes higher temps.
View Quote

This is kind of what I am trying to figure out, because high temps for my Ender 5 v2 causes stringing above 210, should I not worry about the stringing? when attempting to print a lower?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 10:28:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Thanks. Kind of what I thought but wanted to make sure before heading into a 3 day mac daddy print.
View Quote

Did you manage to score a Vmac upper? Haven't seen them in stock yet.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 12:56:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This is kind of what I am trying to figure out, because high temps for my Ender 5 v2 causes stringing above 210, should I not worry about the stringing? when attempting to print a lower?
View Quote

When I’m printing for strength and not looks I turn it up 5-10 degrees and I don’t worry if there’s some stringing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:30:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Did you manage to score a Vmac upper? Haven't seen them in stock yet.
View Quote

Nope, MAF has been out of stock for everything it seems. I'm just getting everything ready for when they do become available again.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:36:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

When I’m printing for strength and not looks I turn it up 5-10 degrees and I don’t worry if there’s some stringing.
View Quote

Cool I kind of did the same thing, printed at 215 and the print looked good, unfortunately I didn't have it center on the bed enough when setting it up in cura and the back of the lower ended up looking like garbage. Also chose the wrong kind of supports, so the thing came off the bed looking like a huge brick. Haha. I have another spool of pla plus on the way so I'll retry with the new settings.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top