Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2020 9:51:14 PM EDT
In the market for a mirrorless camera.  Been running Canon DSLR’s for years.  
I’ve read good and bad about the x100v, overheating, grinding lens.....
Anyone in the hive have personal experience?
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 3:09:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an X100F, and honestly it's hard to resist not replacing it with a V, but it's also mostly GAS because the X100F is very good.  But, as you've probably read, they updated most things people have asked for:

-Weather Sealing, Weather Sealing, Weather Sealing!
-Sharper Lens
-Faster Autofocus

I haven't read however they dropped the base ISO from 200 to 160.  I got to play with one at a local Fuji event, and the autofocus is noticeably faster than my F, and they say it works better in low light.

The X100 series is, for me, one of the better walk-around cameras and vacation cameras.  In good light the camera takes amazing photos, and is quite good in bad light.  Definitely competitive with my D500.  It does have its limits.  It's small, but works well.  The Fuji film simulations are really nice.  SOOC shots have a high keeper rate for me.  It's a great vacation camera because if I'm taking vacation snaps it's to document the event not sell photographs--but still get excellent quality.

I don't think the lens *grinds*, but it does make a little noise when it's focusing.  Mine does get a little fuzzy from time to time if you pixel peep, but overall does well (and they fixed that in the V).  I have heard it gets hot but the only review I saw that was when recording 4K video.  I've used mine for video but that's not what I bought it for.  Some people also don't like the fixed lens but I shoot a lot with primes and love it.

Also, you can buy a nice Fuji without having to buy a whole stable of lenses to go with it.

I often carry it in a cargo pocket when I'm out birding or something with the DSLR and telephoto, the X100F becomes my short "lens" without carrying two DSLRs.

[ETA: The Fuji is also just plain *fun* to use.  If you grew up on or used manual film cameras, Fuji gives off a very classic vibe.  Everything is a knob or button, and menus are rarely used.  I only use them for changing film simulations or focus modes, once to set up the shots and then it's all knobs and switches.  It has more dials and buttons than I even use.  I shoot RAW+JPG, and then choose a film simulation.  So if I'm shooting Acros (B&W), the JPG has the simulation but the RAW file is just raw so if I want to go to color for that shot I can.  It also has the same sensor as some of their bigger/ILC APS-C cameras, and playing with their lineup at a Fuji event may or may not be a gateway drug to their MF gear.]

Here are some shots from my X100F.  The first two are SOOC with Fuji film simulations, the third is a single shot brought out in darktable (not a HDR merge):

City Sunset over the Lake by iroc409, on Flickr

Things are looking up by iroc409, on Flickr

Summer Sunset by iroc409, on Flickr

Maybe that helps you some.

ETA2: OK, here's another one I have online that I rather liked.  Handheld with a little noise reduction in Rawtherapee:

Sin-Clair by iroc409, on Flickr

This I thought was interesting.  I don't like added fake film grain, but high-ISO noise in a black & white film simulation looks actually fairly natural.  Fuji says it is because their sensors are built to mimic film (the photo is nothing special but the noise turns out nice here):

Tommy and Lusia by iroc409, on Flickr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top