Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 2/8/2021 11:11:04 PM EDT
Hi all,

Hoping to pickup any tips, tricks and suggestions for your field notes/note books.

I do the obvious, write down ins/out of service, out at xyz address for xyz at xx time kind of thing.

At shift start I write down when radar was function checked/taser was spark tested. I write down anyone/dob who was issued an infraction/citation, where issued, and what for.

I also write down the temperature, roadway conditions (wet, dry, snow, ice, etc), weather (sun/clear, overcast/rainy, fog, etc) as well as the wind.
I also list every partner that was on the shift.

Any other tips, tricks and suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:19:30 PM EDT
The majority of that info is contained in our CAD and records system.  No reason for me to keep that info in a notebook.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 8:37:40 AM EDT
Everything used for a citation gets written in the notes section/margin of the officers copy. As far as people working there’s a master list of roll call sheets that’s saved. All the other stuff is kept in CADs system. Body cams for everything else. My notebook is used very little.

But I like the black mole skin 3x5. I hate the spiral notebooks.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:01:04 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:
The majority of that info is contained in our CAD and records system.  No reason for me to keep that info in a notebook.
View Quote

us too and then it automatically populates to our activity logs.

Only thing that goes in my note books are names, dob, etc and notes for stuff I have to write a report on.

J-
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:51:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2021 11:57:02 AM EDT by Drunktech]
Originally Posted By jjc155:

us too and then it automatically populates to our activity logs.

Only thing that goes in my note books are names, dob, etc and notes for stuff I have to write a report on.

J-
View Quote

Same.

I also use a little pocket clipboard with 3x5 notecards. When I’m finished I pull the notecard out and put it in the case file where the nice front office ladies scan it and put it into our RMS system.

Edit: Taser function checks are maintained in the Axon software, and radar checks are done at the beginning of shift. If I do issue a speeding ticket (rarely) I test the radar function while I still have my bodycam on. No need to write those down.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 6:12:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Drunktech:

Same.

I also use a little pocket clipboard with 3x5 notecards. When I’m finished I pull the notecard out and put it in the case file where the nice front office ladies scan it and put it into our RMS system.

Edit: Taser function checks are maintained in the Axon software, and radar checks are done at the beginning of shift. If I do issue a speeding ticket (rarely) I test the radar function while I still have my bodycam on. No need to write those down.
View Quote

I forgot about the Taser but you're right.  I downloaded one a week or so ago so not sure why I forgot about it.  The records are stored right in the Taser from the day it's put in service to the day it is taken out of service.
Top Top