Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2020 1:43:19 AM EDT
I have been thinking about you lately with all that is going on. I know you have a lot of rentals and with all these people not paying their rent I hope you are doing ok. Seems like the latest media and public sentiment is no one pay their rent or mortgage but no one seems to think of the independent landlords they just envision not paying some huge corporate entity where it doesn’t matter.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 1:22:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have been thinking about you lately with all that is going on. I know you have a lot of rentals and with all these people not paying their rent I hope you are doing ok. Seems like the latest media and public sentiment is no one pay their rent or mortgage but no one seems to think of the independent landlords they just envision not paying some huge corporate entity where it doesn’t matter.
View Quote

Thanks for the concern doodle.  Lot been going on.  

I went out on my own in my day job. I was a sub, now i work direct. So i make 4 to 5k a month more but i have to float 40k in parts that the company i worked under used to supply.

I started an online business, so i spent money on inventory for that we are working on getting online. My wife is running that.

My auto shops were in rough shape due to piss poor management by my partner. Also my partner in some of the rentals.

Rentals are paying better than i planned on but i had to work out a plan with a lot of them.  I'm the landlord that doesn't waive late fees and starts eviction asap so people are working with me.

I got 250k in ppp money total and we spent it in 3 weeks but we're nearly profitable again.

In the next year I'm selling every rental that i don't own 100% of.  Partnering with family isn't working. They don't feel comfortable with me buying them out and they won't let me match the outside offers when we list them so I'm done with that deal.  

Once my day job business and my online business build a little cash I'll be back to buying and replace what i sold.  Let's say in a year.  I just need out of my partnership first.

Really all of my issues stem from my family deal,  not my rentals. Im broke but profitable on everything i control.  I can push and work my out.

I haven't missed a paycheck of my own and bills are still paid net 14 so i can't say things are terrible.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 2:35:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I am glad to hear you are doing ok. Sounds like a shit show with the family but I am sure you have a plan and will execute it well. The other sources of income you have are a great thing.

It was just kind of strange every time I heard on the news about the rent non payment you popped in my mind.

Good luck and hope things work out for you.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Doodlebug:
I am glad to hear you are doing ok. Sounds like a shit show with the family but I am sure you have a plan and will execute it well. The other sources of income you have are a great thing. 

It was just kind of strange every time I heard on the news about the rent non payment you popped in my mind. 

Good luck and hope things work out for you.
View Quote

I don't manage most of my units.  I had several that i manage text me something like "hey I'm probably not going to pay rent until the gov steps in to help. They've got to come up with something to help".

These were people still working with no loss of income.  

I just said "try me"

I got paid by most of them.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Fella:

I don't manage most of my units.  I had several that i manage text me something like "hey I'm probably not going to pay rent until the gov steps in to help. They've got to come up with something to help". 

These were people still working with no loss of income.  

I just said "try me" 

I got paid by most of them. 
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/8/2020 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I’m surprised the county you live in doesn’t fund a task force of attorneys to sue landlords for evicting in a time like this.

Franklin County in Ohio has one, and it’s not right.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By shrimpmoney:
I’m surprised the county you live in doesn’t fund a task force of attorneys to sue landlords for evicting in a time like this. 

Franklin County in Ohio has one, and it’s not right.
View Quote

The law is clear unless it's changed.  Which is possible bc this is very fluid.  

If you have had loss of income due to covid, you can't be evicted.  

If you have no loss of income,  but want to live off of fella, you can be evicted and whether it's now or later you will be.  Bc I'm a victim of no one.

If you believe my renters shouldn't pay rent bc of covid not effecting them,  then you're part of the problem.  

Pumba actually turned me on to a great plan the bigger pockets guys put out.  Basically if you talk to me and we make a plan,  I'm easy to deal with as always.  

If you do the "I'll pay when i can,  check is in the mail" method, i won't stop until you're gone.  The day i can legally start eviction, i will.

Being analytical and reasonable is why i get paid.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Fella:

The law is clear unless it's changed.  Which is possible bc this is very fluid.  

If you have had loss of income due to covid, you can't be evicted.  

If you have no loss of income,  but want to live off of fella, you can be evicted and whether it's now or later you will be.  Bc I'm a victim of no one. 

If you believe my renters shouldn't pay rent bc of covid not effecting them,  then you're part of the problem.  

Pumba actually turned me on to a great plan the bigger pockets guys put out.  Basically if you talk to me and we make a plan,  I'm easy to deal with as always.  

If you do the "I'll pay when i can,  check is in the mail" method, i won't stop until you're gone.  The day i can legally start eviction, i will.

Being analytical and reasonable is why i get paid.
View Quote

I spoke to each one of my tenants and all but one was in the "business as usual" mode and mentality.

All but one and that one said we have a housing crisis and the government should step in and the stimulus he received shouldn't need to be used on rent.

My response was pretty blunt and to the point. The stimulus IS for bills and rent and nothing more. Rent is due by the first of the month.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top