Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/8/2024 3:49:52 PM EDT
https://www.techspot.com/news/102923-bluetooth-snooping-tech-texas-cops-monitor-devices-borders.html

If you've been anywhere near the Texas-Mexico border recently with a phone, wireless earbuds, or any other Bluetooth-enabled gadget, there's a chance the feds were keeping tabs on you. At least two counties in the Lone Star State have implemented an incredibly invasive surveillance system that detects and tracks devices by tapping into their Bluetooth signals.

The technology, called TraffiCatch, comes from a German company called Jenoptik. It enables law enforcement to essentially detect any Bluetooth and Wi-Fi signals in the area and log the unique identifiers broadcast by those devices, according to publicly available contract data uncovered by the news outlet NOTUS. By combining that data with automated license plate readers already deployed all along the border, TraffiCatch can theoretically track people's movements, even if they switch vehicles.

Webb County, home to the border city of Laredo, has reportedly had this Bluetooth tracking capability since at least 2019.

The technology works by capturing Bluetooth addresses that are periodically broadcasted by all Bluetooth devices. Some devices use static addresses that never change, making them easy to track persistently. But even gadgets using rotating random addresses can potentially be correlated over time if the person is also carrying a device with a public address.

Jenoptik essentially presents TraffiCatch as a tool for law enforcement to "locate persons of interest related to recorded crimes in the area" by merging vehicle plate data with detected Bluetooth signals. However, the system doesn't discriminate – it can capture any Bluetooth emissions within range from innocent bystanders as well.

This significant expansion of surveillance state overreach in border communities was made possible, in part, thanks to funding from Operation Stonegarden, a federal grant program that incentivizes local police departments to assist border patrol efforts. Last year alone, Stonegarden awarded $90 million to law enforcement agencies in Texas and other border states.

We've already seen how Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) deployed Stingray devices, which masquerade as legitimate cell towers to trick phones into connecting and revealing their locations and identities. Adding Bluetooth tracking into the mix just adds another highly intrusive and indiscriminate monitoring capability to border communities already subjected to disproportionate over-policing.

So the next time you're wandering around these border areas, you might want to consider turning off your gadgets' connectivity features – unless, of course, you're comfortable with Big Brother tracking your movements.
View Quote

The technology, called TraffiCatch, comes from a German company called Jenoptik. It enables law enforcement to essentially detect any Bluetooth and Wi-Fi signals in the area and log the unique identifiers broadcast by those devices, according to publicly available contract data uncovered by the news outlet NOTUS. By combining that data with automated license plate readers already deployed all along the border, TraffiCatch can theoretically track people's movements, even if they switch vehicles.

Webb County, home to the border city of Laredo, has reportedly had this Bluetooth tracking capability since at least 2019.

The technology works by capturing Bluetooth addresses that are periodically broadcasted by all Bluetooth devices. Some devices use static addresses that never change, making them easy to track persistently. But even gadgets using rotating random addresses can potentially be correlated over time if the person is also carrying a device with a public address.

Jenoptik essentially presents TraffiCatch as a tool for law enforcement to "locate persons of interest related to recorded crimes in the area" by merging vehicle plate data with detected Bluetooth signals. However, the system doesn't discriminate – it can capture any Bluetooth emissions within range from innocent bystanders as well.

Everyone has their persons and paper tracked and searched, if you come under their umbrellla. No warrants at all. Everyone treated as a criminal.

And it's not just your cell phones.
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2024/05/add-bluetooth-long-list-border-surveillance-technologies
A new report from news outlet NOTUS shows that at least two Texas counties along the U.S.-Mexico border have purchased a product that would allow law enforcement to track devices that emit Bluetooth signals, including cell phones, smartwatches, wireless earbuds, and car entertainment systems. This incredibly personal model of tracking is the latest level of surveillance infrastructure along the U.S.-Mexico border—where communities are not only exposed to a tremendous amount of constant monitoring, but also serves as a laboratory where law enforcement agencies at all levels of government test new technologies.

The product now being deployed in Texas, called TraffiCatch, can detect wifi and Bluetooth signals in moving cars to track them. Webb County, which includes Laredo, has had TraffiCatch technology since at least 2019, according to GovSpend procurement data. Val Verde County, which includes Del Rio, approved the technology in 2022.  

How?

This data collection is possible because all Bluetooth devices regularly broadcast a Bluetooth Device Address. This address can be either a public address or a random address. Public addresses don’t change for the lifetime of the device, making them the easiest to track. Random addresses are more common and have multiple levels of privacy, but for the most part change regularly (this is the case with most modern smartphones and products like AirTags.)
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#1]
So turn your bluetooth off before you smuggle drugs across the border folks.

Also, if you are going to shoot a wolf in CO, make sure to leave your phone at home.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Its for your safety, citizen.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:55:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone holding onto any illusions of anonymity in an increasingly ELINT saturated environment is retarded.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Something tells me this isn't used to stop illegals from pouring across the border but will be used against Americans.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Car tires are better
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Didn't the Scotus already declare that 100 miles inland of any US border is a Constitution free zone?
Something like 2/3 of the countries population falls into that zone.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m one of those guys who just plays one song and puts it on repeat when I drive. I hope that song is in their head all day.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CypressCity:
So turn your bluetooth off before you smuggle drugs across the border folks.

Also, if you are going to shoot a wolf in CO, make sure to leave your phone at home.
View Quote

If you think that stuff is only in the border and will only be used there .... I have a bridge in brooklyn to sell you on the cheap.

At this point, I wouldn't trust the device if I couldn't pull it's only power source out.

I suspect that's why we're starting to see phones like pine and purism with switches that physically turn those functions off.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:59:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ApacheScout:
Something tells me this isn't used to stop illegals from pouring across the border but will be used against Americans.
View Quote

True. Legal law abiding taxpayer, bad. Illegal mooch, good.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:00:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By jerrwhy01:
I’m one of those guys who just plays one song and puts it on repeat when I drive. I hope that song is in their head all day.
View Quote

I get the joke, but I don't think they care about that.

The point is that your device brodcasts a unique identifier for itself and it moves with you.

That plus other things being broadcast off your person and your transportation make you trackable.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:00:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

If you think that stuff is only in the border and will only be used there .... I have a bridge in brooklyn to sell you on the cheap.

At this point, I wouldn't trust the device if I couldn't pull it's only power source out.

I suspect that's why we're starting to see phones like pine and purism with switches that physically turn those functions off.
View Quote

yeah, or get a good faraday bag.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#12]
My WAPs at work all can track Bluetooth.   We are right next to a major freeway and I see 10k bluetooth hits a day on the radios.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#13]
How far does Bluetooth transmit its signal from your cell phone and how many receivers does this law-enforcement system depend on to work?

I'm not suggesting that it's easy to slip through the system but I'm more curious to simply know the answer to my question.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:06:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#14]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Even if the bag works as advertised, if your device has an accelerometer inside it, as soon as you pull it out of the bag, it can squawk where it was to the network.

Also, fun stuff like ... you can bet the boys at TAO are working like mad to implment reading your fingerprint off your touchscreens and grabbing all that info out of the archives to add biometric confirmation to the backlogs:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=2708255&tl=-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Your-fingerprints-can-be-recreated-from-the-sounds-made-when-you-swipe-on-a-touchscreen

https://www.tomshardware.com/tech-industry/cyber-security/your-fingerprints-can-be-recreated-from-the-sounds-made-when-you-swipe-on-a-touchscreen-researchers-new-side-channel-attack-can-reproduce-partial-fingerprints-to-enable-attacks

https://www.ndss-symposium.org/wp-content/uploads/2024-618-paper.pdf

... stuff like this is why every vehicle that has these signals is said to be trackable across the entire globe.

ETA: The point is that the only way to even begin to win the game is not to play it at all.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:08:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FlashMan-7k] [#15]
Originally Posted By Wildfowler:
How far does Bluetooth transmit its signal from your cell phone and how many receivers does this law-enforcement system depend on to work?

I'm not suggesting that it's easy to slip through the system but I'm more curious to simply know the answer to my question.
View Quote

IDK but that will be an entirely variable factor based on how slective and sensitive the recievers being used are.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#16]
They can also produce a unique ID of your vehicle with the TPMS signals from your tires.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By -Kyuss-:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By -Kyuss-:
Originally Posted By ApacheScout:

It checks out. Tax payers and otherwise good people are the only ones ever held accountable for violating the law. This country is all fucked up, evil, and twisted.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:16:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kp01] [#18]
Govt has so much tech and info they dont have the man power to sort and go thru the data, and act on it UNLESS they want too..

CIA, NSA, FBI etc.. They can go after some, ignore others, throw book at some, ignore others etc.. It's crazy!
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#19]
If you want to take a red pill, get a BLE scanner app, open it up in a busy place like a store or a restaurant, and just see how frackin' many Bluetooth devices there are within 100 feet of you at any given moment.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By kp01:
Govt has so much tech and info they dont have the man power to sort and go thru the data, and act on it UNLESS they want too..

CIA, NSA, FBI etc.. They can go after some, ignore others, throw book at some, ignore others etc.. It's crazy!
View Quote

AI is likely already being used to suppliment the human analyists for the purposes of flagging and trackign people at scale.

They basically admitted ... I guess over a decade now? That they had a backu copy of everything that touched the internet for five years. That will only have grown, because storage has expanded and gotten cheaper and a lot faster.

Anything that can later be gotten out of that data puts you at risk.

I'd be shocked if the concept of ex post facto laws being used doesn't go right out the window.

If it hasn't already.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:21:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Feds have been tracking people for years. That Cessna 208 that was making laps over the 2021 rally in Virginia had the ability to grab cell and laptop data from everyone downtown and potentially beyond.  They fly those same planes all over the country. Manly over the southwest US and Commiefornia. Your government spies on everyone.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

It depends on the device profile they're supporting, but typically 10 meters (33 feet) or 100 meters (328 feet.) Most will be in the 10 meter
bin. Better receiver antennas will extend the range a little.

Also, while the devices broadcast an address, they do not do it constantly, so there's a window for reception. The last time I looked
at one of the blackhat system descriptions IIRC there was a 1/64 chance that they'd capture the address of some device driving by.

The other thing is unlike phones, there's no database that ties a bluetooth mac address to a specific person. They can create one
by observation (license plate reader + BT reader and correlate hits) but it's nothing off the shelf and it'll only be valid for that localized
area. It definitely will tell them if someone is in the area repeatedly, though, and that can get correlated with other records.

Because of the above I can almost guarantee you that to be useful they're sucking in personally identifying information from some
other database, which is probably the bigger concern.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

About 35 feet reliably after that it's spotty.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Loyal citizens have nothing to hide
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:
Feds have been tracking people for years. That Cessna 208 that was making laps over the 2021 rally in Virginia had the ability to grab cell and laptop data from everyone downtown and potentially beyond.  They fly those same planes all over the country. Manly over the southwest US and Commiefornia. Your government spies on everyone.
View Quote

Pilatus planes flying in circles on not on ADS is the clue.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By kp01:

View Quote

This is where AI comes in to the conversation.  Set up a ton of Bots to pour over any and all sigint and boom you have a real time file on everyone.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:32:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Watch The Movie, Police State!
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Ya'll keep voting and serving in the military...lol
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Government is the fat retarded paste eating kid in preschool.   It consumes everything within reach with no thought to cost, consequence or practicality.

Currently they collect far more information then legally allowed in a daily tax funded crime spree that can only be described as "mass production".   All the while having no means of parsing 99.999% of that data in any meaningful or useful way,.. but still they consume and consume.   The worst part is they pour so many resources into data collection it's diverting needed attention away from actual problems so more and more shit falls through the cracks and the FBI is forced to admit "he was on our radar" after almost every tragedy.

The above is why 9/11 was pulled off so easily right under their noses;... and since then the government's answer is to double, triple and quadruple down on more of the same on an astonishing scale.  Meanwhile for political reasons what scant semi-competent resources are left are being pointed at political opponents, further degrading the security of the US.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#30]
All RF/electronic signals are being tracked ... just realize that.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By 10mmManiac:

About 35 feet reliably after that it's spotty.
View Quote

The "range" of BlueTooth is how far devices can communicate with each other... the range at which a signal could be detected from a BT device is probably significantly greater.

Probably 12 years ago, a guy I worked with (he actually did some coding on bitcoin) bought some badass WiFi receiver and fired it up when we were at work. He could see something like 15,000 different networks from inside our building. SSIDs and that kind of stuff. Too far to connect to them, but he could see them.

There's a lot of EM noise out there, and yeah, some devices could easily pick up BT signals, get the MAC address from the device and corroborate a location with historical data. That said, BT on your phone won't directly lead to you being identified, but IMTO, could probably lead to LEO being able to show you (or at least your phone) was in a general area at some given point in time.

Frankly, like other people have mentioned, there are tons of other devices that could be used to do similar things.

If you're going to crime, leave all your electronic shit at home.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Not new tech.

Most state DOT’s use similar systems to track drive time & speed data. Only difference is they strip out the unique data and assign a random code to each user for privacy purposes. They can then calculate how long it takes a single user to go from one sensor to another & determine live traffic speeds.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:59:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#33]
Airtags and Tile have been using the same tech for years.  That's why you can track your car with an Airtag without having GPS.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#34]
All cellular phones manufactured after 2005 have a transporter that replies when pinged.

this includes flip phones and will reply if powered on or off.. batter installed or not.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Eff all of these little people.  Eff all of them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Even if the bag works as advertised, if your device has an accelerometer inside it, as soon as you pull it out of the bag, it can squawk where it was to the network.

Also, fun stuff like ... you can bet the boys at TAO are working like mad to implment reading your fingerprint off your touchscreens and grabbing all that info out of the archives to add biometric confirmation to the backlogs:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=2708255&tl=-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Your-fingerprints-can-be-recreated-from-the-sounds-made-when-you-swipe-on-a-touchscreen

https://www.tomshardware.com/tech-industry/cyber-security/your-fingerprints-can-be-recreated-from-the-sounds-made-when-you-swipe-on-a-touchscreen-researchers-new-side-channel-attack-can-reproduce-partial-fingerprints-to-enable-attacks

... stuff like this is why every vehicle that has these signals is said to be trackable across the entire globe.

ETA: The point is that the only way to even begin to win the game is not to play it at all.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/q96zH.png
View Quote

If the number of non-compliant people is sufficiently small, they stand out to the system as well.  We are rapidly reaching the point where the only way to win may be instead to not to play but to overplay by throwing the anarchy card.  Massive rolling DDOS against all these systems 24x7x365.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#37]
I think the number 1 thing that is tracked is chatter on gun forums.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:01:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#38]
Of course it’s German software, lol. Heydrich and Himmler are laughing in hell.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

There are gloves already that fix the printing issue. But you have to wear gloves lol.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#40]
By a bunch of used cellphones and Bluetooth headphones like 20 each
See how it can keep it sorted
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

No offense but accelerometers (and magnetometers) that are in cell phones are not even remotely good enough to be able to track where you've been more than a minute or two. Their drift rate is just too high. It's why phones used as autopilots use GPS to correct the INS solution (and even the open-source autopilots that have better accelerometers and magnetometers than most cell phones also use GPS).
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#42]
"We don't know who struck first, us or them, but we know that it was us that scorched the sky"
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:10:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:
All cellular phones manufactured after 2005 have a transporter that replies when pinged.

this includes flip phones and will reply if powered on or off.. batter installed or not.
View Quote

I'm not sure what a "transporter" is but to "reply when pinged" either requires power (which it won't have if the battery is not installed") or is a type of RFID (which is passive but extremely limited in both range and utility).
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#44]
I do this around the house to look for “visitors”.

Bluetooth beacons are a digital footprint, but not a fingerprint.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#45]
"What do you mean you don't have a phone with you?" "It's AGAINST the law to power down your phone!! Don't you know that"  "Out here in the woods by yourself with your phone turned off? #2346 Needs back up. Now!"
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By planemaker:

No offense but accelerometers (and magnetometers) that are in cell phones are not even remotely good enough to be able to track where you've been more than a minute or two. Their drift rate is just too high. It's why phones used as autopilots use GPS to correct the INS solution (and even the open-source autopilots that have better accelerometers and magnetometers than most cell phones also use GPS).
View All Quotes

Accelerometers register that there's been movement and that's it.  It doesn't record the previous location and the new location in any way that can be shown on a map like GPS.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:25:18 PM EDT
[#47]

I'm not sure what a "transporter" is but to "reply when pinged" either requires power (which it won't have if the battery is not installed") or is a type of RFID (which is passive but extremely limited in both range and utility).
View Quote

He is referring to a transponder chip. Most folks don't realize there is a second battery on the board in the phone that acts like a CMOS battery. That allows certain parts of the phone to be activated despite the main battery being removed.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#48]

He is referring to a transponder chip. Most folks don't realize there is a second battery on the board in the phone that acts like a CMOS battery. That allows certain parts of the phone to be activated despite the main battery being removed.
View All Quotes

I lol'd
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#49]
East German Stasi and KGB would be envious.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#50]
If you broadcast it freely with no expectation of privacy, no warrant is required to record it.

Kharn
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top