Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2022 11:37:54 AM EDT
What's your fasting routine?

I started fasting 2 weeks ago. Started off 14/10 for a few days to get used to not eating breakfast. I switched to 16/8 the rest of the week.

Starting this current week I did a 20/4 Sunday, then a 24 hour fast till Monday night when I ate a decent dinner. Ate at noon Tuesday to complete a 16 hour fast and then again at 6pm. Did another 24 hour fast through 6pm yesterday and we went out for crawfish and blue crabs. Took my last bite at 7pm last night and here I am 14 hours later, not hungry and trying to decide if I should do another 16/8, 20/4 or 24 hour.

Should I get on a consistent fasting window or basically just go as long as I can stand it without starving myself with every day being a different fasting length?

I've only lost 6 pounds in two weeks, which is great since it's the opposite of gaining weight, but my clothes are very noticeably looser and went down a notch in my belt .
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:44:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Loosing 3 pounds a week is great, especially if you eat carbs. Many that fast also do keto and will drop a bunch of water weight the first two weeks.
I'd say do what works for you and is sustainable.

I eat between 9am - 6pm, so 15/9. Never hungry and don't snack.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I do 18/6 pretty religiously, but change my hours or even to a 16/8 if I know I'm going out and doing something. I have not yet done 24 hour fasts, but don't think it'd be too terribly difficult to do so. Kinda do what works for you while seeing how your body reacts is my mantra right now.

I just read The Obesity Code and he seems to allude to the benefits of implementing 24-36 hour fasts.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#3]
16/8 was okay when I did it.

Any less of an eating window and I couldn't get enough calories in.

I was trying to maintain weight though.....if you are trying to gain or maintain weight, fasting is not a great option I found.

It does make it easy to stay in ketosis though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends, what are your goals?
Link Posted: 2/17/2022 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends, what are your goals?
View Quote

Weight loss and overall health. Mainly weight loss for now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 3:44:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I started in January with 16/8 a couple days a week.  Cutting out sodas and junk food in the process.  Worked up to two 24 hour fasts a week usually Saturday dinner to Sunday dinner and Wednesday dinner to Thursday dinner.  This has been working for me so far.  Down 11 pounds since start of the year.  

For me the key is staying hydrated and staying busy.  Days I work from home there is a higher temptation to snack.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:28:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been doing 16/8 for a few weeks. 1200 to 2000 is my eat window. I always run around 0500 so it's been easy but bothersome to not do breakfast which is usually all protein. Breakfast has always been my favorite meal. I could skip dinner and have breakfast but dinner is the meal I eat with my wife and kids. I may adjust or alternate with more time. I'm 49, 5'10 175. I'm down 4lbs and feel my best at 168-170. I don't have a lot to lose but my knees and run time notice the weight.

About 3 years ago I got up to 189 did keto and lost 20lbs and stayed in it for 2 years. I started adding back some light carbs right after hitting my goal. I went from 20 carbs a day up to about 70.  It worked as it should and it was my fault I went back to candy last spring break. I've maintained 175-179 for the last year but I wanted to try something different because my cholesterol went up 40 pts last year and didn't feel right doing the high fat again.  Although I will say that on keto, my cholesterol did go down.  I'm doing hardly any red meat, cutting out greasy foods and eating cleaner with a lot of chicken and fish.  I thought the int. fasting sounded interesting so I'll keep with it for awhile.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Down another 2 pounds since my last post. Mostly doing 16/8 (some days stretch 17-18 hours) with one 24 hour fast thrown in there for the week. I'm ok with a slow and steady weight loss. Hell if I can consistently lose 2 pounds a week for the next year I'll look like a different person. My fasting blood sugar is down in the 90's now also compared to 130 three weeks ago so I got that going too.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Dude not eating for 8 hours a day is called sleep.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Dude not eating for 8 hours a day is called sleep.
View Quote

You should try to read the thread a little better before shitting in it. Nobody in here is talking about not eating for 8 hours.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:15:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Dude stated "I started doing 16/8" meaning he doesn't eat 8 hrs a day . Intermittant fasting is nothing new and in my opinion a stupid fad . Sorry if that's not in agreement with those who believe in it . Even people who say they 12/12 that's what many thousands of people do inadvertently when they miss lunch . I'm just not impressed with the whole concept.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Dude stated "I started doing 16/8" meaning he doesn't eat 8 hrs a day . Intermittant fasting is nothing new and in my opinion a stupid fad . Sorry if that's not in agreement with those who believe in it . Even people who say they 12/12 that's what many thousands of people do inadvertently when they miss lunch . I'm just not impressed with the whole concept.
View Quote

16/8 means you don't eat for 16 hours. He even said as much in the OP. If your reading comprehension is that terrible, or your lack of willpower to not comment if you have nothing constructive to add is that fragile, you should probably just hang out in GD and not wander off too far.

Why do you think it's a fad?

There's note benefits of short fasts, the biggest one in my opinion is making it much harder to overeat. When you only have an 8 hour eating window, it's a lot harder to eat too many calories without feeling full.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#13]
16/8 is the window I followed for 5 years or so. Would occasionally do a 20-24 on the weekends for no reason. No reason to overthink it. 16/8 is good enough.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol, its a "fad" that works and completely redesigned my body after 20 years of working out. Changing my eating window while keeping all the food and calories the same completely recomped my body. Seems like anything other than being a high carb eating fat body is a fad in this country.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:57:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I have great results when I stick to my 16/8 routine. Fast from 1900-1100 hours. Drink a ton of water.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#16]
After about 8 months of IF, I have settled on roughly a 19/5 (6pm to 1pm) daily schedule. Keeping it simple with smallish high protein/low carb lunches and normal evening meals with the family. Typically do a 48 hour fast once a month. Down 85lbs so far, but I think I may have to up my activity level (from very little to something) to drop the last 25-30 to reach my goal.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 8:50:09 AM EDT
[#17]
I do 24 hour fasts a couple of times each month.

Typically I'll eat two big meals each day, normally breakfast and then dinner. No lunch. Currently I'm trying to get my size up so eating lunch as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top