Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/14/2022 6:23:28 PM EDT
I've been chasing this issue for a year or so now!!!  Keep running into an issue with getting our ribeyes seared when hosting company.  Here's what I've tried and considered thus far.  Please take a look and see what method I might not have considered/tried that'll work well.  The primary problem is the prep time for the heat seems to take either too long or too much attention...

1.  Filled my chimney with lump and had more lump in the kamado.  Lit it right before the company came over.  Was worried the coal would burn out after 2-3 hours so I kept it low and then tried opening everything up to get it screaming hot and that took way to long.  I may as well have started the coals when we were serving appetizers.  I'll get to that as I tried it to.

2.  Tried starting the coals in the chimney as we were serving apps.  Still takes a SOLID 30-40mins until the coals are ashed over and hot enough in the chimney.  Plus putting fatty steaks right over the grate/coals meant 4' flames and horrible taste.

3.  Same as #2 but I used a cast iron pan in the kamado.  Worked....but again, the coals take too long to heat up.

4.  Sous vide.  Had the steaks ready to hit the cast iron in the kamado but conversation got away from us and it still took too long for the coals to heat up and the pan to get to 600F-700F.  

5.  I did consider using our Blackstone 36" but most say that doesn't get hot enough.  

6.  Tried searing on the stove top in cast iron but it filled the entire house with thick smoke.  

7.  Considered buying a searzall last week but everyone that responded said they don't work well and take too long....no one recommended them.  

As you can see, the biggest problem is that the lump takes too long to heat up.  If I could figure that out and predictably heat the lump faster....wouldn't be a problem.  Maybe a blower fed into the lower vent would help?  Maybe some other method would get the lump white hot in 5mins or so....short of breaking out my XM-42 (which would leave a horrible gasoline taste anyway!!)....?

On the other hand, if I leave the grill wide open vent-wise for 2-4 hours is that harmful?  Will the charcoal last that long at full burn?

Any other ideas for a rapid sear of 4 thick ribeyes?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Propane roofing torch plus cast iron or otherwise suitable media to place the steaks on ( a grill might work)
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Clean burning propane.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a propane burner similar to this, as I remember it gets cast iron wicked hot in about ten minutes. Has to be used outside.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#7]
My Genesis hits 6-700° pretty fast.  10-15 max. I don’t know if a cast iron solid grill plate or skillet will get to that temp as quickly as the gauge.  I’ve used a torch but only once after sous vide on a roast.  Otherwise a salamander is probably best
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I’ve done this. It works.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#9]
My old go to method had a bit of prep, but not much cook.  I would fill my 6 pack cooler with hot water from the tap at the office 15 minutes before I planned to leave.  I would drain and repeat after I clocked out, and throw the vacuum packed ribeye in.  Drive home was 45 minutes, cooler would have about 125 degree water in it (maybe a couple degrees cooler).  When I got home, the meat was sous vide perfect - I would hit it with a driveway de-icer (probably the same one from harbor freight pictured above) for a few seconds each side for color.  Done.

Given that I would go inside for a plate when I got home.  Time from driveway to table was still under 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

But how to you get the coals hot FAST?

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My Genesis hits 6-700° pretty fast.  10-15 max. I don’t know if a cast iron solid grill plate or skillet will get to that temp as quickly as the gauge.  I’ve used a torch but only once after sous vide on a roast.  Otherwise a salamander is probably best
View Quote

Not sure what a Genesis or Salamander is but I'll look it up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Acetylene torch.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:37:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a propane burner similar to this, as I remember it gets cast iron wicked hot in about ten minutes. Has to be used outside.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148252/bayou-classic-sp10_propane_burner_1024x1-2526330.JPG
View Quote

I gave my turkey fryer to the local (retired) police chief.  So I could buy another one. But are you saying just set the chimney right on that or do something else?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Propane torch.  That’s what I usually use when I sous vide.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Buy a propane grill
Get grillgrates.com plates
Turn the heat on high
Wait a few minuted
Sear with the the fury of the gods
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like the HF weed burner posted above?  How long does that take per side and does it yield any propane taste?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Turn the gas grill on high about 15 minutes before you want to sear your steak, it takes less than a minute to do.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Searzall.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Weed burner
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:42:11 PM EDT
[#20]
It’s baffling to me that you seem hell bent on trying to solve an easily solvable problem using propane, by choosing to try every other method besides propane
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#21]
You could flash-fry a buffalo in 40 seconds
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Salamanders probably used a lot for nachos too.  Propane radiant heat up-to and above 1000°.  Weber Genesis BBQ
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

And it works well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Camp chef single burner & a cast iron skillet or a griddle will allow you to do several steaks at a time.
I've never set mine on High because it's too hot for most everything except maybe melting wheel weights.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got a new version Weber Genesis propane, a 22"Weber charcoal kettle (was my go to with a cast iron skillet), but the 36" Blackstone is now where it is at for me.  Fast and consistent.   I light up the left 2 burners on high and let em pre heat for 10 minutes in moderate to hot weather, longer in the winter and I light the third burner. I put my wifes on for 3 minutes, then add mine.  Flip both after the second 3 minutes then cook another 3 minutes.  Hers will be medium well (9 minutes cooking), mine medium rare (6 minutes cooking).  Rest them for 5 minutes.  Both with a wonderful crusty sear.  
I always make sure to blot them dry with a paper towel before applying kosher salt.  Then onto the cooking surface.  
 The Genesis maybe hotter than the Blackstone and the charcoal as well.  But the Blackstone's speed, ease and ability to do the same thing over and over each time wins it for me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Cast iron skillet heated up as hot as it can get on a stovetop, then placed in an oven pre-heated to 500 degrees.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Does "least amount of prep" mean time from fire to food, or messing around?

There is something to be said for coal, lump or briquets, over gas. [flavor]

There is also the number of steaks you are cooking. It sounds like you need room for at least 4 steaks? [one on top of the chimney is then out]

I'd start a chimney of coal and dump them in and backfill a Weber kettle with more coal throughout (hot ones spread out, fill in everywhere with cold ones).  I'd bet you could melt the hinges on the gates of hell in well under an hour and do them all at once in the appropriate 10 or so minutes.

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#28]
No joke

Got tired of waiting, especially since I don't have gas out in the middle of nowhere and have to go down the general store for a $25 propane tank refill. Pre-heating is just throwing away money to me if you have a torch.

I "pre-heat" my grill with two of the burners on high. In like 5min it'll be at ~350* on the gauge.

Had a ribeye yesterday . . . salt, dry milk rub per guda for ~8hrs beforehand. Melt butter and brush it on the steak. Toss steak on grill.

I'll let it sit for 1-2min per side, then take the propane torch and char the outside it to your liking. Flip and char the other side.

Stick the meat probe in it, it's usually around ~90-95* internal temp at this point. Turn one of the burners to medium, place steak above the medium burner, baste with melted butter, flip at ~120*. I pull mine at 135*F for a solid medium.

Takes like 15min this way from start to finish (if you don't count the "prep" work the night before to salt/dry rub and place in the fridge)
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#29]
You need one of these. Used to go on sale for $5, I think it's up to $10 on coupons now. I kill one a year, but can get charcoal lit and burning in a few min.

Don't use to much charcoal or it will take forever for it to ash up correctly, although raw lump doesn't do that much.

Get a spider that puts the grate closer to the charcoal. Go to ceramic Grill Store.

Spend a few minutes getting the lump lit in a few places. Give it 10 minutes and then mix it up. 10 more min and you should be ready to grill.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-watt-11-amp-dual-temperature-heat-gun-56434.html?utm_source=go&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=shortener
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:10:55 PM EDT
[#30]
My wife bought me this Steak Searing Machine.  It's number 3 on my list of must have cooking gadgets, right behind the BGE and a Griddle.  It puts an amazing steak house quality sear on a steak and just a few minutes a side.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Like the HF weed burner posted above?  How long does that take per side and does it yield any propane taste?

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

I just use a handheld blowtorch, but I’d be willing to try a weed burner.  I have one, actually.  Would have to use that outside.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Might try chicken and leave the ribeyes to your husband.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I gave my turkey fryer to the local (retired) police chief.  So I could buy another one. But are you saying just set the chimney right on that or do something else?

Thanks
View Quote

I wasn't meaning put a charcoal chimney on the burner but that might be a good "get both" arfcom answer.

I meant light the burner, set your cast iron skillet on it and in about ten minutes, if it's like mine, the skillet will be damn near red hot.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I wasn't meaning put a charcoal chimney on the burner but that might be a good "get both" arfcom answer.

I meant light the burner, set your cast iron skillet on it and in about ten minutes, if it's like mine, the skillet will be damn near red hot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Hadn't considered that but seems like a great idea!  Wouldn't melt/warp the cast iron?
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:42:16 PM EDT
[#35]
What lump charcoal are you using? I've never had an issue with it getting blazing hot in the chimney before I put the coals in my Weber kettle.

Sous Vide. Chimney with a few pieces of newspaper for 15-20 minutes. Pour in the Kettle for 5 minutes and let the grates get hot.

I'm a big fan of B&B lump.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I had the same issue you as you OP. I got this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0973HKT7N?tag=arfcom00-20

I used it to sear outdoor on a cast iron. Piping hot heat with no worries of smoke in the house. The flames get stupid high and hot not to mention if your as big into Asian cuisine as I am it works insanely well with woks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:52:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148252/bayou-classic-sp10_propane_burner_1024x1-2526330.JPG
View Quote

If you want heat, rather than use a regular propane burner, get a wok burner instead.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

(Not my photos, these were shamelessly stolen from the interwebs.)

I have no idea what it would do to cast iron, though. Caveat emptor.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#38]
If I sous vide a steak or a thick pork chop, I'll take my cast iron and a portable induction burner outside.  A five minute pre-heat gets the skillet smoking hot.  A little bit of grapeseed oil and 30-45 seconds per surface produces a pretty solid sear.  It's not quite to the level you'll get with a properly prepped chimney or ceramic grill, but I'm ok with that.

A portable butane burner might work the same way.  Check the BTU stats as there's a lot of variance between brands and models.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I had the same issue you as you OP. I got this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0973HKT7N?tag=arfcom00-20

I used it to sear outdoor on a cast iron. Piping hot heat with no worries of smoke in the house. The flames get stupid high and hot not to mention if your as big into Asian cuisine as I am it works insanely well with woks.
View Quote

Can you cook steaks for a dinner party that are all ready at the same time?
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My wife bought me this Steak Searing Machine.  It's number 3 on my list of must have cooking gadgets, right behind the BGE and a Griddle.  It puts an amazing steak house quality sear on a steak and just a few minutes a side.  

View Quote

Yep, like a salamander.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a Weber Spirit gas grill, one half has regular grill grates, the other half has a cast iron griddle. It gets over to 500 degrees in about 10 minutes and the griddle puts an awesome sear on steaks. They're even better when smoked first then seared, but I enjoy the flavor very much when cooked entirely on the griddle.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:13:48 PM EDT
[#42]
my method for steaks takes about 30 minutes all together.

Light charcoal over a propane camp burner doesn't matter much if it's lump or kingsford. I have lots of scrap red oak I can add for a little better smoke flavor.
season steaks while the charcoal is on the burner.

I use a charcoal bin not a chimney, after it's well lit i set it in the grill and then put the steaks on the cold side for about 20 minutes while it get's going better with the lid closed. If you wanted to get fancy you could stick a bluetooth thermometer in the steaks and wait till they are a bit shy of final temp.

Then I usually open the grill up and let the coals get screaming hot, helps if there is a little wind.

Sear for about 2 minutes a side with the lid closed to avoid flare up.

I also probably wouldn't fuck around with steaks for company but whatever.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Why does every one sear? I can see it after cooking the steak in water, but why on a grill or skillet?
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Cast iron skillet heated up as hot as it can get on a stovetop, then placed in an oven pre-heated to 500 degrees.
View Quote

It's the only way I cook steaks since I learned it was this easy to do.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:01:10 PM EDT
[#45]
You people are mad with all your extra gadgets.

The answer is a mix of direct or indirect heat on coal or direct on propane at a medium heat.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Searing is silly
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

It works, but it's messy, use a leaf blower to just blast it with air to get it roaring fast.  I can go from no fire to 900F in 2-3min that way but it's spitting sparks every fucking where and everyone looks at me like I'm a madman.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Searing is silly
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#49]
I've really taken to smoking them for flavor low and searing under the broiler in the oven.  It's really fast and a perfect sear.  I'm considering building a broiler just to have for it and keep the oven clean and minimize steps.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:06:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I just use a handheld blowtorch, but I'd be willing to try a weed burner.  I have one, actually.  Would have to use that outside.
View Quote
It's too much in my experience.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top