Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 2/10/2023 2:16:16 AM EDT
I’m trying to understand the Falklands conflict. It happened in my lifetime, but it seems like it doesn’t get a lot of play here.

I am trying understand how it got started, how it was prosecuted by both sides, and the fallout.

Anyone have any book suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 2:31:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Not much to understand, British fleet leaves The Falklands, Argentina sees an opening to invade and claim The Falklands as theirs, Thatcher doesn’t want to look weak so she sends in the Marines and they kill a shit ton of Argentinians, Reagan says please stop Maggie, she says no and blows up some more boats, including one outside of the agreed hostile zone. Thatcher says too bad suck my dick.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 2:36:02 AM EDT
[#2]
The coming of age of the Sea Harrier

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 2:40:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Mark Felton
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 2:42:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not much to understand, British fleet leaves The Falklands, Argentina sees an opening to invade and claim The Falklands as theirs, Thatcher doesn’t want to look weak so she sends in the Marines and they kill a shit ton of Argentinians, Reagan says please stop Maggie, she says no and blows up some more boats, including one outside of the agreed hostile zone. Thatcher says too bad suck my dick.
View Quote

No!

British needed our help big time! Begged Reagan for help, especially after the Argentines pushed their shit in by sinking one of their best ships!

All those FAL's that went to waste.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 2:44:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 2/10/2023 2:45:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Mark Felton
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/10/2023 2:47:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I wish we still had disproportionate responses like they did in ancient times

The British should have conquered all of Argentina, taken whatever they wanted, and left them in ruins
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 2:49:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No!

British needed our help big time! Begged Reagan for help, especially after the Argentines pushed their shit in by sinking one of their best ships!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No!

We gave them some sidewinders, but The US did want The British to try diplomacy instead of invading.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 2:49:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not much to understand, British fleet leaves The Falklands, Argentina sees an opening to invade and claim The Falklands as theirs, Thatcher doesn't want to look weak so she sends in the Marines and they kill a shit ton of Argentinians, Reagan says please stop Maggie, she says no and blows up some more boats, including one outside of the agreed hostile zone. Thatcher says too bad suck my dick.
View Quote
There was no agreed upon "hostile" zone. The General Belgrano was perfectly capable of attacking British forces and was in route to do so earlier that day. The fact that the attack was canceled and they were outside the exclusion zone doesn't somehow make them a invalid target.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 2:51:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mark Felton
View Quote

Mark Felton Falklands playlist.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 2:53:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There was no agreed upon "hostile" zone. The General Belgrano was perfectly capable of attacking British forces and was in route to do so earlier that day. The fact that the attack was canceled and they were outside the exclusion zone doesn't somehow make them a invalid target.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not much to understand, British fleet leaves The Falklands, Argentina sees an opening to invade and claim The Falklands as theirs, Thatcher doesn't want to look weak so she sends in the Marines and they kill a shit ton of Argentinians, Reagan says please stop Maggie, she says no and blows up some more boats, including one outside of the agreed hostile zone. Thatcher says too bad suck my dick.

I don’t care that the ship was sunk. I’m not being critical, my point is Thatcher didn’t give a fuck.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 3:06:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't care that the ship was sunk. I'm not being critical, my point is Thatcher didn't give a fuck.
View Quote
Fair enough.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 4:09:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Reagan says please stop Maggie
View All Quotes
Quoted:

WRONG!

Reagan directed the US Navy to prepare for the possibility of providing the USS Iwo Jima to the Royal Navy as a replacement carrier in the event the HMS Invincible or HMS Hermes was sunk.

Reagan approved the request without hesitation and his instructions to Weinberger had been simple, “Give Maggie everything she needs to get on with it,”

https://news.usni.org/2012/06/27/reagan-readied-us-warship-82-falklands-war-0

https://theaviationist.com/2012/08/21/uk-iwo-jima/#:~:text=the%20Falklands%20War-,USS%20Iwo%20Jima%20would%20have%20been%20loaned%20to%20the%20Royal,ships%20during%20the%20Falklands%20War&text=During%20the%201982%20Falklands%20War,the%20U.S.%20publicly%20claimed%20neutrality.

Early on in the days directly after the invasion, there was significant doubt that the UK 1.) would have the resolve to try to take back the Falklands by force, and 2.) would have the ability to successfully do so.
The latter was considered an impossibility by the US intelligence community, since the UK had just downsized their fleet and all but eliminated the Fleet Air Arm by retiring their RN Phantoms and large carrier(s).
Therefore there was some maneuvering on the part of the US to try to find a diplomatic solution that prevented the UK from losing face while keeping the Argies (who were buying Skyhawks and Sidewinders from us, among many other things) as a friend.
When it became clear that this wouldn't be possible, and that Maggie had a pair of balls (she was unproven in a crisis up till then), Reagan quickly sided with the UK practically while maintaining a public profession of neutrality for the most part.
We provided them fuel (nearly all of the Jet-A and ship fuel used, by the tanker load), late-model Sidewinders, logistical and communications support, and most importantly, intelligence.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 4:26:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Battle of Goose Green - 2 Para against all Odds (28–29th May 1982)
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 4:27:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Simpsons did it

THE FALKLANDS HAVE JUST BEEN INVADED
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 4:28:08 AM EDT
[#16]
About three years ago I finally finished off the last of my Radwsy Green 7.62x51 Fal Food.

It was a sad day
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 5:07:12 AM EDT
[#17]
"Brezhnev took Afghanistan.
Begin took Beirut.
Galtieri took the Union Jack.
And Maggie, over lunch one day,
Took a cruiser with all hands.
Apparently, to make him give it back"

Pink Floyd - Get your Filthy Hands Off my Desert

ETA: Operation "Black Buck 6"
The Missing Vulcan - Falklands 1982

Link Posted: 2/10/2023 5:07:36 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

I see "Falklands" I jump into the thread in order to recommend this book.  The audiobook is excellent as well as the author himself (Commander Nigel "Sharkey" Ward - Commanding Officer of the 801 Naval Air Squadron on board HMS Invincible during the war) narrates it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 5:10:23 AM EDT
[#19]
The UK really demonstrated their power on their own halfway around the world, and they won decisively.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 7:07:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I see "Falklands" I jump into the thread in order to recommend this book.  The audiobook is excellent as well as the author himself (Commander Nigel "Sharkey" Ward - Commanding Officer of the 801 Naval Air Squadron on board HMS Invincible during the war) narrates it.
View Quote

Ditto.  That is a fabulous book and one of the better written air combat memoirs since WWII.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 7:54:44 AM EDT
[#21]
I highly recommend "3 days in June" 3 Para's battle of Mount Longdon.

I would also recommend the Unconventional Soldier podcasts (made by a couple of my ex colleagues) and the episodes which cover Operation Corporate.

S2 #032 22 SAS Operation CORPORATE (Falklands 82)

#009 Part 2, 3 PARA Mount Longdon Operation CORPORATE (Falklands 82)

Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:07:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:11:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The UK really demonstrated their power on their own halfway around the world, and they won decisively.
View Quote

If the Argentinians had a half dozen more Exocets or simply fuzed their bombs properly, the Brits would have been forced to call off the operation. As it was, the number of ships they lost was astounding because most of their naval weapon systems either barely functioned or were horribly out of date.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:23:05 AM EDT
[#24]

“Be pleased to inform Her Majesty that the White Ensign flies alongside the Union Jack in South Georgia. God save the Queen.”

- Task Group Commander, Captain Brian Young, after the surrender at Grytviken.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:35:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:36:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If the Argentinians had a half dozen more Exocets or simply fuzed their bombs properly, the Brits would have been forced to call off the operation. As it was, the number of ships they lost was astounding because most of their naval weapon systems either barely functioned or were horribly out of date.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s not that they were fuzed incorrectly.  The pilots were flying below the designed minimum release altitude of the fuzes to avoid air defenses.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:37:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:44:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Max Hastings' "The Battle For The Falklands"
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:54:08 AM EDT
[#29]
This thread is helping me use all those Audible credits I got for Christmas!
Keep it up, lads!

ETA: I find it interesting that the four Typhoons the RAF have stationed there outclass the entire Argentinian Air Force.

The Argies have an impressive collection of Bristol F.2’s and A4’s, though…
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 8:56:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:00:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I wish we still had disproportionate responses like they did in ancient times

The British should have conquered all of Argentina, taken whatever they wanted, and left them in ruins
View Quote

The Brits lacked the power to conquer the mainland, and there was a big fear in both Washington and London that Argentina would go to the Soviets for help if the war spread beyond the islands.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:04:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It’s not that they were fuzed incorrectly.  The pilots were flying below the designed minimum release altitude of the fuzes to avoid air defenses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It could have all gone very badly wrong for the brits and nearly did.  They managed the whole thing on a shoestring.  If they had failed it's hard to fathom what could have become of world events.   The UK and the west in general would have looked very weak and that would have encouraged shitheads around the world the challenge the existing order.

As for causes, it's important to remember that the falklands have been used as a big, fat red herring for decades by the various juntas and regimes that control argentina so they can blame everything on the brits while they continue loot the country.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

WRONG!

Reagan directed the US Navy to prepare for the possibility of providing the USS Iwo Jima to the Royal Navy as a replacement carrier in the event the HMS Invincible or HMS Hermes was sunk.

https://theaviationist.com/2012/08/21/uk-iwo-jima/#:~:text=the%20Falklands%20War-,USS%20Iwo%20Jima%20would%20have%20been%20loaned%20to%20the%20Royal,ships%20during%20the%20Falklands%20War&text=During%20the%201982%20Falklands%20War,the%20U.S.%20publicly%20claimed%20neutrality.

Early on in the days directly after the invasion, there was significant doubt that the UK 1.) would have the resolve to try to take back the Falklands by force, and 2.) would have the ability to successfully do so.
The latter was considered an impossibility by the US intelligence community, since the UK had just downsized their fleet and all but eliminated the Fleet Air Arm by retiring their USN Phantoms and large carrier(s).
Therefore there was some maneuvering on the part of the US to try to find a diplomatic solution that prevented the UK from losing face while keeping the Argies (who were buying Skyhawks and Sidewinders from us, among many other things) as a friend.
When it became clear that this wouldn't be possible, and that Maggie had a pair of balls (she was unproven in a crisis up till then), Reagan quickly sided with the UK practically while maintaining a public profession of neutrality for the most part.
We provided them fuel (nearly all of the Jet-A and ship fuel used, by the tanker load), late-model Sidewinders, logistical and communications support, and most importantly, intelligence.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WRONG!

Reagan approved the request without hesitation and his instructions to Weinberger had been simple, “Give Maggie everything she needs to get on with it,”

The latter was considered an impossibility by the US intelligence community, since the UK had just downsized their fleet and all but eliminated the Fleet Air Arm by retiring their USN Phantoms and large carrier(s).

Phantoms would have been nice, but the loss of airborne early warning was arguably the biggest loss from the retirement of HMS Ark Royal.  Sheffield and several other ships were hit on radar picket duty, which should have been the role of aircraft.

The RN did not use USN model Phantoms.  They had their own variant with Rolls Royce engines and other changes.  The RAF did buy a squadron of ex-USN F-4Js after the war to backfill Phantom FGR.2s sent to guard the Falklands.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:09:58 AM EDT
[#35]

Piles of firearms make me want to dive in them like a cartoon duck and a pile of money.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:10:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Ditto.  That is a fabulous book and one of the better written air combat memoirs since WWII.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It seems that the role of the Sea Harriers (and the few other models of Harrier GR's ) was downplayed in the media - the Brits could not have won without the Harriers and late model Sidewinders
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:12:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've read that the bombs WERE properly fuzed, but the Argie Skyhawks had to fly low to avoid AA missiles and to lower the risk of being jumped by Harriers,  thus many times the bombs were dropped at too low of altitude to properly fuse
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It seems that the role of the Sea Harriers (and the few other models of Harrier GR's ) was downplayed in the media - the Brits could not have won without the Harriers and late model Sidewinders
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Falklands showed both the value of carriers in general and the limitations of small carriers.  The Brits could not have won without carriers.  They could have won with less loss of life if they had carriers big enough to operate AEW/AWACS aircraft.  More capable fighters operating from such a carrier would be a bonus.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I don’t care that the ship was sunk. I’m not being critical, my point is Thatcher didn’t give a fuck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

she didn't give a fuck about her own citizens either
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#40]
I'll just add- the fire on the British ships hit by Exocets made the US Navy realize how bad burning plastic and other modern materials were in generating toxic fumes that can kill crew members that would have otherwise been able to evacuate and survive a fire, hastening the US Navy to spend alot more money ensuring Emergency Escape Breathing Devices were more widely available on every ship in both work and berthing compartments.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't know if it's over. I got this picture in Argentina in 2018:
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:35:57 AM EDT
[#42]
The Exploited - Let's Start a War
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#43]
There are rumors of buttseks on POWs happening.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:48:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's being quite generous to the Brits.  They won, but they lost several ships in the invasion and suffered over 1,000 casualties.  Had the Argentinians been more competent the Brits would have been embarrassed.

You are right about Maggie, though:  Had it been any other post-war British PM they would have folded and negotiated a settlement.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep, and it was the last time the Royal Navy was able to do it.  They're just a defensive force now, and considering the quality of their new carriers  they had better hope that the Argies don't get any ideas about pulling a Falklands 2:  Amphibious Boogaloo.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Yep, and it was the last time the Royal Navy was able to do it.  They're just a defensive force now, and considering the quality of their new carriers  they had better hope that the Argies don't get any ideas about pulling a Falklands 2:  Amphibious Boogaloo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

there's enough of a garrison down there to be able to push the argies shit in if they get froggy
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
"Brezhnev took Afghanistan.
Begin took Beirut.
Galtieri took the Union Jack.
And Maggie, over lunch one day,
Took a cruiser with all hands.
Apparently, to make him give it back"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiDe6Hm5dtA

ETA: Operation "Black Buck 6"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng_X2dHJpZ4
View Quote

Brave airmen, but a bit of a clusterfuck. The fact that they had to pull their only long range bombers out of mothballs showed the sad state of the RAF's strategic air power at time of the attack.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#49]
This one is a favorite.

Falklands War - The first strike - HD
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#50]

Great book. Definitely recommend picking up a copy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top