Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't feel one bit bad for him.  Stupid ass.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By bologna:
People stop using range bags for travel, too may stories like this
View Quote

People are dumb and lazy. Stupid mistake and a silly way to ruin your life.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:54:40 PM EDT
[#3]
My poor wife got harassed by the TSA in Fort Myers as she had my baseball hat in her carry on that I used at an indoor range the day before.  It all started because she took an older coffee grinder from my Mom at the last minute to take home and ?TSA flagged her because it had "blades" - yea 2 of them both less than an inch.  ?They finally decided to allow that as they were bolted in the grinder but then requested a "more thorough" search including a wipe test of bag contents.  They wiped a bunch of books and other junk in her carry on including my hat and the explosives detector went ape shit with a red strobe and binging because it detected burned and unburned nitro based cellulose (aka gunshot residue).  I was in another TSA line and my son came running over saying Moms in trouble.  She had her hands up and was in tears being interrogated by 4 agents and a supervisor before I got there.  I told them I wore that hat inside a range the day before.  Luckily the TSA supervisor asked me where I shot and I said "shoot straight" and he said he also shot there.  I showed him my 3 day membership card and they finally let us proceed with the flight home.

Boy, was she all sorts of pissed off at me for days because of that.......
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Where the fuck is this place ?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Shung:
Where the fuck is this place ?
View Quote

About 1500 miles south of Boston.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm sure I've shared the story about the time I got detained at Newark for traces of "explosives" on my checked bag.  Yeah, I had used it as a range bag.  It also had my checked and inspected duty pistol, badge, and a spare magazine.  It was going straight to Hell and I was going to miss my plane until they found the badge.  This was for a connecting flight to Palm Beach from Columbus.  The airport cop was a complete asshole but he made sure I got my plane and the bag made it into the cargo hold.  

Now I get searched every time I have a connector through Newark.  

Don't use range bags as luggage.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Hard to believe all the expensive to opulent private sail and motor yachts that visit there are unprotected. No fukn way.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#8]
One of my buddy's got a huge hassle leaving Egypt and they found an M9 magazine in his bag.  They held him for hours and he ended up giving the mag to the Egyptian cop who was questioning him so he could get out of there.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#9]
TSA found a loaded mag in my bag,  I had driven down to SC for vacation but was flying home.  Had my extra mag in my backpack which I then used as my carry on.   They asked me some questions,  I asked if I could keep the mag without the rounds in it.  They said no.  Wasn't a big deal.

Also have a friend who is an investigator for DHS,  she left her service pistol in her carry on.  They flipped out on her,  even with her federal law enforcement badge.  They finally let her go but banned her from TSA pre-check for life.  I just laugh because they even work for the same dept.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Fucking moron.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#12]
The amount of shaming and ostracizing going on here is disturbing.

That attitude has empowered the nanny state.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Not for nothing but I made it to the gate, prob pre 911 with a 5 round stripper clip in my pocket. I had gone out before we left on our trip and I had been carrying. Forgot to ditch the stripper clip. So a co-worker that I was able to hand them off to before we entered the plane.

Punishment should fit the crime. And 12 years in prison is BS., Can't do anything with live rounds other than throw them at people.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Lots of folks didn't read the article or hear the full story. It was not a range bag,it was 4 rounds left over from a hunting trip. So it was luggage necessary for a trip that also involved firearms. Still dumb to not do a full and thorough search of his bag but it wasn't as careless as bringing a range bag. The fact that it was found while he was LEAVING  the country shows there was no intent. The guy should be fined and perhaps barred entry in the future but 12 years is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:57:06 PM EDT
[#15]
And then you got this guy: https://patch.com/virginia/arlington-va/fl-man-cited-bringing-firearm-washington-national-airport-tsa

FL Man Cited For Bringing Firearm To Washington National Airport: TSA
For a second time, TSA officers prevented a Florida man from bringing the same loaded handgun to an airport checkpoint.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:11:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hunduh] [#16]
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
I hope this thread is as spicy as the other one on the exact same story!
View Quote

I doubt it…..Bollocks made it very clear to me (with an account warning) that I should be civil and not refer to people here as complete pieces of poop.  I now know better than to point that out.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:13:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Hunduh:

I doubt it…..Bollocks made it very clear to me (with an account warning) that I should be civil and not refer to people here as complete pieces of poop.  I now know better than to point out that some people here are complete pieces of poop.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hunduh:
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
I hope this thread is as spicy as the other one on the exact same story!

I doubt it…..Bollocks made it very clear to me (with an account warning) that I should be civil and not refer to people here as complete pieces of poop.  I now know better than to point out that some people here are complete pieces of poop.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TheWhiteHorse:
So TSA didn’t find it on the way down?

You’ve got to be pretty careless to have this happen to you… the one guy I know who’s done it before is a moron.
View Quote

I've inadvertently flown with loaded magazines before.  And no I was not using my range bag.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:46:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By GrinningDag:

Think we had an arfcommer here made that mistake. Brought his ccw to the airport. No idea what came of that story though.
View Quote

Colleague at work did that.  He paid a $1,300 fine.  Prosecutor was kind enoigh to point out to the judge that there was no round in the chamber.  It might have been worse if he'd had a round chambered, for some reason.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Karankawa:
The amount of shaming and ostracizing going on here is disturbing.

That attitude has empowered the nanny state.
View Quote

Indeed.

Dragline: "He ain't in the box because of the joke played on him. He back-sassed a free man. They got their rules. We ain't got nothin' to do with that. Would probably have happened to him sooner or later anyway - a complainer like him. He gotta learn the rules the same as anybody else."

Luke: "Yeah, them poor old Bosses need all the help they can get."
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By turfengineer:
Damn, I missed a loaded handgun mag in a carry one once. It was surprisingly not a big deal. Nice cop walked to the door with me talking guns and I had to drop it I. My car or surrender it. It was a 15 min inconvenience at best.
View Quote

Here in the states, not in a foreign country
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Vague:
How many times do we have to see stories like this posted before we acknowledge that these people are all morons. They all know the score yet they do nothing to prevent their inevitable ass pain.

I'll have a Coke, Mexican only.

View Quote

what an ahole. you are arguing his rights are null and void cause he made a mistake?

Idiot.  

You have never missed something in a bag? Never forgotten to take something out?

Fact is, this guy could lose a huge chunk of his life due to something that is a non-issue. Give him a 200 dollar fine and and him on his way.

it's ridiculous.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:37:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By crashburnrepeat:

what an ahole. you are arguing his rights are null and void cause he made a mistake?

Idiot.  

You have never missed something in a bag? Never forgotten to take something out?

Fact is, this guy could lose a huge chunk of his life due to something that is a non-issue. Give him a 200 dollar fine and and him on his way.

it's ridiculous.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By crashburnrepeat:
Originally Posted By Vague:
How many times do we have to see stories like this posted before we acknowledge that these people are all morons. They all know the score yet they do nothing to prevent their inevitable ass pain.

I'll have a Coke, Mexican only.

Idiot.  

it's ridiculous.

He's in a different country, his rights here in the states don't transfer worldwide.

Heck, you have people on this site that say that people who aren't full blown citizens of the USA don't have Constitutional rights here in the states based on where they are from, even though it's clear that our rights are given by our Creator (whom we all share, worldwide) and not granted by the government. Probably should decide which side you agree with?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By JmE:

If they don't recognize and respect the unalienable individual natural right to keep and bear arms then they are indeed a third world shithole.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Miles_Urbanus:

Turks and Caicos is a British Overseas Territory. Hardly a third world shit hole.

If they don't recognize and respect the unalienable individual natural right to keep and bear arms then they are indeed a third world shithole.

That’s ridiculous considering most of the world has no gun rights. Third world is not a measure of civil liberties.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:48:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Corvette-Racer:
I have traveled all over the world with no issues.  My travel bags and my range bags are never even in the same room in the house, much less interchanged.  When I went to Singapore, I was told in advance not to have any GUM in my bag.  I can't imagine what they would do for ammo or a mag.
View Quote

@Corvette-Racer

Told by whom, and when?

The last time I was in Singapore, the laws were that it was illegal to SELL gum, illegal to chew it in public, but not illegal to possess it.

Knew folks with friends or family in Singapore, who usually brought gum with them for said friends and family, when they headed there.

Singaporeans themselves tended to buy gum when they crossed the causeway to Malaysia, and bring it back.

Entirely possible that they’ve changed the laws, since then.

***P.S.
I DO recall hearing about one guy getting hemmed up for bringing a suitcase full of gum. He insisted it was all for personal use. They considered the amount beyond personal. Don’t know what came of it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:
Not for nothing but I made it to the gate, prob pre 911 with a 5 round stripper clip in my pocket. I had gone out before we left on our trip and I had been carrying. Forgot to ditch the stripper clip. So a co-worker that I was able to hand them off to before we entered the plane.

Punishment should fit the crime. And 12 years in prison is BS., Can't do anything with live rounds other than throw them at people.
View Quote

Try traveling to a Muslim country with an old copy of Hustler magazine in your luggage. See how that works out.

Their country, their rules. Know the rules ahead of time, and don’t be a damned moron.

My travel luggage is NEVER used for the range. I have dedicated range bags for range use, that don’t particularly work well for travel.

Someone mentioned that in this case, the guy had used the piece of luggage on a hunting trip, so it wasn’t as if he’d used a range bag for travel.

If you’re traveling anywhere you KNOW has strict rules/laws, you’d have to be a moron to NOT empty and check all bags (and pockets in clothing) before packing.

You want to risk jailtime in some country because you forgot you had a THC vape in your possession? Don’t start screeching about how it’s legal where you’re from.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Kiltakaze:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kiltakaze:
Originally Posted By turfengineer:
Damn, I missed a loaded handgun mag in a carry one once. It was surprisingly not a big deal. Nice cop walked to the door with me talking guns and I had to drop it I. My car or surrender it. It was a 15 min inconvenience at best.

And not all states, either.

Try that with a mag full of hollow points in an NJ airport.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By TheWhiteHorse:
So TSA didn’t find it on the way down?

You’ve got to be pretty careless to have this happen to you… the one guy I know who’s done it before is a moron.
View Quote

Maybe the TSA put it there in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:43:22 PM EDT
[#30]
i forgot a loaded sig mag in the concealed compartment of my laptop bag.  after they finally figured out how to open the compartment, the TSA guy walked over and said "yeah, you can't take this.  wanna run it back to your car?"

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By NemesisMind:
Coming soon to US of Amerika near you.
View Quote

This.
You can own your guns and ammo...but if you happen to break a minor law it will cost you everything.
The legal assult on Trump is their strategy for every American.

-Show me that man and I'll show you his crime-
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Undaunted:

I discovered a loaded g17 mag in my carry-on after a return trip from NC. It wasn't detected, but eye opening. I easily could have been hemmed up.
View Quote

I found worse than that in a rain jacket pocket on the way back from a 3-gun match many years ago. Plans got cold so I draped the jacket over me and felt a plunk - from both pockets. Kept mouth shut got off and learned a lesson that day.

That jacket went through the x-ray machine and they didn’t find those items yet last month on way back from Vegas they flagged my laptop bag with Clif bars as potential plastic explosive.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:02:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I want to call this guy an idiot, but I accidentally shipped my flight gear back to my unit with 4 loaded M4 magazines.

We had some stolen gear during our deployment, so CID was present when everyone opened up their boxes back at home station.  I thought I was in deep shit.

They counted every round, took photos and wrote up a report.  Then did NOTHING.  I think they were just bored because the stolen gear never turned up.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:11:47 PM EDT
[#34]
It sounds like OKC airport TSA is getting scrutinized for failing to detect the ammo on departure from the States. .
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Exactly. I fly frequently and my luggage never mixes with anything firearms related.

Their country, their rules. End of story, really.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#36]
This thread is full of examples of why the left controls government, media, academia, and most corporate environments. They can rely on half of us to eat the other half of us, and half of the remaining half to leave the other remaining quarter out to dry.

Yes, it’s inadvisable to use a range bag as a travel bag. But for him to suffer any more than perhaps the confiscation of the ammo, is bullshit, and you’re a bootlicker if you think otherwise.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By NemesisMind:
Coming soon to US of Amerika near you.
View Quote

New Jersey
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:46:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BuckeyeRifleman] [#38]
The number of people here saying this guy more or less deserves his 12 years in a 3rd world shithole prison for a harmless mistake is sickening.

Got it, different bags for travel is a good idea.

But for any avid gun owner a random one or two rounds of ammo is so ubiquitous it’s easy to forget you threw them in a pant or shirt pocket. Those same pants or shirts end up packed to your trip overseas and blamo, 3rd world shithole prison time while arfcom laughs and calls you stupid and greedy for wanting help.

This place is sad.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:53:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RealityCheck0311] [#39]
First thing I did was look up the family.

Attractive wife, middle class or affluent, white, and with kids.

He is not going to prison.

If anything, they'll probably end up making more money from the incident with a book deal, interviews, people donating, etc..

That's how these things work when those people break the law.

Curious if the crowd saying "What a dumbass, how did they not know it was in the luggage. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes when going to shitholes" during the Britney Griner incident will have a different opinion about this story.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#40]
I travel international a lot... Pretty thorough checklist to avoid this.  $15K bond, I would find a fast boat to Puerto Rico and beat it back to US. Non exraditable offense from my reading. I use the same bag for Florida as I do for International, but I am very through on ammo transport and bags. Heading to the Maldives, have stripped a ton of shit out to ensure no issues.   If you travel abroad, have money to unfuck yoursefl.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:24:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Once I returned from an overseas trip to find one stray round of Horady Premium .308 in my bag.   I broke out in a cold sweat and never traveled with a bag that had been on a hunting trip again.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:18:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Years ago(1972)I was waiting to board a flight from Okinawa to the US.  Found a 12 gauge shotgun shell in my coat pocket, left over from shooting skeet the day before. Put it in an amnesty box. End of story
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:24:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Anytime some shitbag country does this they should receive a phone call from the state department informing them there is a Meu in the area that will be picking up the citizen if he isn't taken to the airport and released
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:25:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#45]

That’s ridiculous considering most of the world has no gun rights. Third world is not a measure of civil liberties.
View All Quotes

Turks and Caicos is a British Overseas Territory. Hardly a third world shit hole.

That's what made our republic so great of a nation and unique in the World. It's almost as if... perhaps... maybe... a well regulated militia is somehow necessary to the security of a free state. If one cannot be armed then one, generally, cannot protect and keep what is his, including his own life.

Again, no recognition and protection of the unalienable individual natural right to keep and bear arms means it's a shithole; even if that describes 99.999% of the planet. Only a free individual bears arms. Nothing they offer is worth my liberty. I think some guy made a quote about that... "Give me liberty or give me death."
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By bodybagger:

Shithole status only deals with freedom. There are in fact many first world shitholes.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bodybagger:

Shithole status only deals with freedom. There are in fact many first world shitholes.

Indeed.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Sounds like something the D bags in NJ would do.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:

@Corvette-Racer

Told by whom, and when?

The last time I was in Singapore, the laws were that it was illegal to SELL gum, illegal to chew it in public, but not illegal to possess it.

Knew folks with friends or family in Singapore, who usually brought gum with them for said friends and family, when they headed there.

Singaporeans themselves tended to buy gum when they crossed the causeway to Malaysia, and bring it back.

Entirely possible that they’ve changed the laws, since then.

***P.S.
I DO recall hearing about one guy getting hemmed up for bringing a suitcase full of gum. He insisted it was all for personal use. They considered the amount beyond personal. Don’t know what came of it.
View Quote

I was advised by my contact in our Singapore office not to bring any gum.  It is not illegal to posses, but if you have it, you may be tempted to chew it, and that could get me in trouble especially is you spit it on the sidewalk
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:44:56 AM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

This is for sure. Never forget, that you are responsible. You know the rules and consequences. Don't invite trouble.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By opnblstr:

I found worse than that in a rain jacket pocket on the way back from a 3-gun match many years ago. Plans got cold so I draped the jacket over me and felt a plunk - from both pockets. Kept mouth shut got off and learned a lesson that day.

That jacket went through the x-ray machine and they didn't find those items yet last month on way back from Vegas they flagged my laptop bag with Clif bars as potential plastic explosive.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By opnblstr:
Originally Posted By Undaunted:

I discovered a loaded g17 mag in my carry-on after a return trip from NC. It wasn't detected, but eye opening. I easily could have been hemmed up.

That jacket went through the x-ray machine and they didn't find those items yet last month on way back from Vegas they flagged my laptop bag with Clif bars as potential plastic explosive.
I've twice found stuff after flying, including going through EU and MX customs that wound up in sewers.  

The scary one was a small underseat bag (smallest thing you can get that has rollers, more or less a laptop bag).  It had never had guns in it, or been on a shooting trip. It WAS open in a closet that I knocked over an open 550ct bulk pack in.  I had unzipped the lining, shook the hell out of it, etc.  Apparently some .22LR migrated into the telescoping handle mechanism its self, and I found 3 rounds in my hotel room in Mexico.  

You know how you can't flush TP in Mexico because their pipes aren't set up for it?  Well, I can tell you that you can flush .22LR.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top