Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2024 10:25:38 AM EDT
I was just looking at old collector guns online, and saw an early 50s Remington 22 target rifle with no serial number.  What does an FFL do to transfer a gun with no serial?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:28:01 AM EDT
[#1]
It gets received like any other firearm and the serial number is recorded as “NSN”
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#2]
In addition to ghost and zombie guns - these will soon be categorized as mummy guns.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#3]
From the instructions included with every 4473 form:

Questions 1-6. Firearm(s) Description: These blocks must be completed with the firearm(s) information. All firearms manufactured or made after 1968 by Federal firearms licensees should be marked with a licensee’s serial number.  Should you acquire a firearm that is legally not marked with a serial number (i.e., certain pre-1968 firearms); you may answer question 3 with “NSN” (No Serial Number), “N/A” or “None.” Unless already properly marked by another licensee, licensees who take a privately made firearm (PMF) into inventory are required to mark the PMF with an individual serial number that begins with the FFL’s abbreviated license number, which is the first three and last five digits, as a prefix to a unique identification number, followed by a hyphen, e.g., 12345678-unique identification number.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:50:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#6]
A friend of mine had a Stevens 12 Ga side by side shotgun with no serial number..
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Remington 510 TargetMaster that doesn’t have a serial number on it. Transferred like any normal firearm would.

Beware though you will run into fuckfaces that will tell you it’s illegal to have a firearm that doesn’t have a serial number on it. Just tell those people to fuck off, it usually isn’t worth the energy to try to educate those assholes. They already have their mind made up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#8]
My niche is mid century collectible and custom rifles.

By bound books have hundreds of NSN entries.

Where it gets a bit interesting is the custom rifles.  Prior to 1968 it was also legal to remove serial numbers and it was done on a lot of custom rifles.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By UtahShotgunner:

Where it gets a bit interesting is the custom rifles.  Prior to 1968 it was also legal to remove serial numbers and it was done on a lot of custom rifles.
View Quote

What was the purposed of removing a serial number?  Something like using a military action as the base of a custom gun, or some other reason?  

Only kind of related question, were there a lot of more or less boutique rifle makers back then that made guns completely to order?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:25:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: miseses] [#10]
What do they do with black powder revolvers that had a center fire cylinder conversion?  Considered PMF?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#11]
This one has no serial number, marked NSN in his logbook.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:51:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Check with your FFL first.  I’ve heard stories of FFLs engraving a serial number on themselves in such a case (with no notice to the owner), which would really suck.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:58:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UtahShotgunner] [#13]
Originally Posted By Colt1860:

What was the purposed of removing a serial number?  Something like using a military action as the base of a custom gun, or some other reason?  

Only kind of related question, were there a lot of more or less boutique rifle makers back then that made guns completely to order?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

"Boutique rifle maker"?  Yes, think of the gunsmith that was in every other town in the 30s, 40s, 50s & 60s.

Reasons I have seen.
1) Removing pitting.  
2) Unmarked surface for engraving.
3) Heavy hand on the sander/polisher.  

More of the custom/extreme version.
Weight cutting.

Ex:  Oberndorf German made 1903 Turkish Mauser actions had the earlier small barrel shank, but had the large ring of the GEW98.
Milling the front ring to small ring dimensions would removed 2-3 ounces.    Ounces are easy to add and hard to remove for a truly lightweight rifle.  
I have completely hollowed the stock from grip to butt leaving walls approx. 1/8 of an inch thick.  That only removed two ounces.

Later, the K. Kale 98s were imported with the same small shank/large ring, but that was post '68 so reducing the front ring now requires ATF involvement to move the s/n.  

There is also the simple example of having an old firearm refinished or restored.   In say 1965 you take Grandpa's rifle in that got left in the barn or whatever.   Local 'smith could grind and polish exterior without concern, then re-blue.  

The "tricky" part is knowing when that work was done.   So many Mauser rifles were built by Bubba, local 'smiths and true Gun Makers in the pre '68 era that I don't have a problem putting NSN in my bound book.   Others?   A firearm from a company that did use s/n's such as Winchester?   Case by case basis and I usually default to not buying them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Dolomite:
In addition to ghost and zombie guns - these will soon be categorized as mummy guns.
View Quote

Nice!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Slightly related...the 1980 22lr I bought from Cabelas wasn't stamped Miroku, the manufacturer, only Browning.

It gave Cabelas' already torturous process fits, and was only resolved when the senior manager threw up his hands and said, "Mark it as Browning, and sell him the damn gun." Or words to that effect. Singular case, but I can't imagine how they're working through guns in the library with no serial numbers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:05:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Dolomite:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Action45:
This one has no serial number, marked NSN in his logbook.
View Quote

Wow, it's in great condition.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 12:34:16 PM EDT
[#18]
- snip -
View Quote

I would love to see some of those old guns.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#19]

"Boutique rifle maker"?  Yes, think of the gunsmith that was in every other town in the 30s, 40s, 50s & 60s.

Reasons I have seen.
1) Removing pitting.  

Weight cutting.

Ex:  Oberndorf German made 1903 Turkish Mauser actions had the earlier small barrel shank, but had the large ring of the GEW98.
Milling the front ring to small ring dimensions would removed 2-3 ounces.    Ounces are easy to add and hard to remove for a truly lightweight rifle.  
I have completely hollowed the stock from grip to butt leaving walls approx. 1/8 of an inch thick.  That only removed two ounces.

Later, the K. Kale 98s were imported with the same small shank/large ring, but that was post '68 so reducing the front ring now requires ATF involvement to move the s/n.  

There is also the simple example of having an old firearm refinished or restored.   In say 1965 you take Grandpa's rifle in that got left in the barn or whatever.   Local 'smith could grind and polish exterior without concern, then re-blue.  

The "tricky" part is knowing when that work was done.   So many Mauser rifles were built by Bubba, local 'smiths and true Gun Makers in the pre '68 era that I don't have a problem putting NSN in my bound book.   Others?   A firearm from a company that did use s/n's such as Winchester?   Case by case basis and I usually default to not buying them.
View All Quotes

Reasons I have seen.
1) Removing pitting.  

Weight cutting.

The reason I've heard the most is they thought it was ugly.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Dracster:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dracster:

Reasons I have seen.
1) Removing pitting.  

Weight cutting.

"Ugly" and unneeded.
A lot of the crests got removed for the same reason.   Personally, I like the crests.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:52:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#21]
Originally Posted By Osprey61:
Slightly related...the 1980 22lr I bought from Cabelas wasn't stamped Miroku, the manufacturer, only Browning.

It gave Cabelas' already torturous process fits, and was only resolved when the senior manager threw up his hands and said, "Mark it as Browning, and sell him the damn gun." Or words to that effect. Singular case, but I can't imagine how they're working through guns in the library with no serial numbers.
View Quote

You record what’s on the gun. You don’t bring your own knowledge into it. Some cop who recovers the gun after a burglary isn’t going to know what you think you know. He’s going to run a trace based on what is written on the gun.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Some of those pre 68 no serial number guns actually have numbers but they are not visible unless the gun is partially disassembled.

Remington Model 41 rifles have a serial number located on the underside of the barrel that is hidden by the stock when the gun is assembled. In those days the serial number did not have to be readily visible.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top