Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/19/2021 12:55:12 PM EDT
Pirate Action
Pirate radio has existed since the early days of radio, but advances in technology have allowed for the creation of a new breed of small, highly-mobile pirate radio stations. Unlicensed broadcasters can pose a hazard to the community by interfering with public safety frequencies. In addition, pirate stations compete unfairly with licensed broadcasters for advertising dollars. Such pirate operators pose a significant challenge to track and shut down, but the Enforcement Bureau’s Field offices work around the clock, using the latest technology, to accomplish this mission. This map tracks the Enforcement Bureau’s efforts to shut down such stations and take aggressive enforcement action against the operators and those who assist them. It consists of Bureau or Commission orders related to pirate radio operations, but does not include unpublished informal warnings, which may be issued in appropriate circumstances.

https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/maps/fcc-enforcement-actions-against-pirate-radio-location/
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Change your wifi names to FCC Predator Drone.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup go ahead a laugh
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#4]
The Clash - This is Radio Clash (Official Video)
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:03:00 PM EDT
[#5]
There's a few in there like "B87.7" or "Real Deal FM" that sound like they're trying to be Wolfman Jack.  Most of them are "Realty" or "Management LLC" that sound like someone dialed up the power a little too high on their real estate talking house things or their parking instructions.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the ones in Kentucky... all 4 are the same case:

This NAL proposes the maximum fine against two individuals for running an unlicensed LPTV station for 18 years, even after receiving warnings by Field Agents
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:11:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Florida at 169 and NY at 151...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:12:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Remember when pirate radio was commemorated by Hollywood for sticking it to the man?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:13:44 PM EDT
[#9]
It looks like churches (parking lot gatherings?) and holiday displays (typical in a lot of neighborhoods).
I dont know why the churches just don't stream to their people, even in a parking lot.  Most people have phones and tablets.  Setup a Zoom conference or something instead of using FM radio.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:15:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Time for some barbequed iguana
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:15:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Time for some barbequed iguana
View Quote

nice!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Wall Of Voodoo - Mexican Radio (Official Video)
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#15]

For reference, the entire underhanded might of the UK government was applied to shut them down and eventually the ship sunk (at least in the movie).
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:24:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Remember when pirate radio was commemorated by Hollywood for sticking it to the man?
View Quote

Zach De La Roche remembers,  especially after he was busted for running one of his own.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:26:41 PM EDT
[#17]
There used to be a Pirate latino station here in Cleveland. They would bounce around from one attic to the next with their equipment, and play salsa and other Latino stuff. They would get on air on the lower 88-89mHz bands, down by the college radio stations.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Need more border blasters.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#19]
The FCC going after pirate radio isn't nothing new. A couple years ago I read a good article about some pirate radio stations in the west and their run ins and closings over the years.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#20]
The Left wants to control all of the message. This is definitely prelude stuff to a not very happy future. They are going for it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:31:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Shit. Are they going to drop the fucking hammer on Howlin' Mad Murphy?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It looks like churches (parking lot gatherings?) and holiday displays (typical in a lot of neighborhoods).
I dont know why the churches just don't stream to their people, even in a parking lot.  Most people have phones and tablets.  Setup a Zoom conference or something instead of using FM radio.

View Quote

Do you think a 85yo has an iPhone and can get onto Zoom? Her grandkids aren't coming to church with her.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:35:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Left wants to control all of the message. This is definitely prelude stuff to a not very happy future. They are going for it.
View Quote

Yep.  Most of it is just people doing it for the fun of it.  We had one around here that would pop up at odd hours, play some alternative music then disappear for a day or two.  Never any talking or advertisements, just somebody wanting to play their preferred music and they were on a frequency that wasn't in use.  I guess they just quit doing it as I haven't thought of it in a couple of years and don't recall ever hearing about anyone getting busted.  

I actually thought about doing a low power version for our FOB overseas since the only thing we could get was goat calling and local music.  The equipment to hook up to your computer wasn't that expensive at the time.  Kinda wish I had.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:36:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Shit. Are they going to drop the fucking hammer on Howlin' Mad Murphy?
View Quote

Incoming FCC Search and Destroy vessel!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This NAL proposes the maximum fine against two individuals for running an unlicensed LPTV station for 18 years, even after receiving warnings by Field Agents
View Quote

The stupid thing is that in most cases like this, it's because the FCC just doesn't bother issuing licenses for certain classes of stations, and these operators have been requesting them and complying with what would be the license restrictions the entire time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because it's legal to use FM radio, and pretty much every car has FM radio.  I'll bet almost all of these are very minor infractions like having slightly too much power.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Couldn't agree more. They're probably ramping up "enforcement" as part of the overall purge.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#28]
So there's this, the Parler shutdown, ARFCOM/GoDaddy thing, the push to shutdown Telegram, the "reminder" from the FCC about ham radios, and open discussion on CNN that cable companies shouldn't "be bringing them into tens of millions of homes" when talking about OAN and Newsmax.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There's a few in there like "B87.7" or "Real Deal FM" that sound like they're trying to be Wolfman Jack.  Most of them are "Realty" or "Management LLC" that sound like someone dialed up the power a little too high on their real estate talking house things or their parking instructions.
View Quote
Some of the 87.7 ones are legit. They are using an analog TV license to broadcast audio and usually have some kind of fixed or oddball video running. Their licenses all expire in July IIRC. There is a popular channel in Chicago run by MeTV. They are trying to get an FCC authorization to allow them to maintain the analog audio channel while switch to digital for TV.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I used to listen to a lot of Alex Jones on the Austin station.  Then ultimately I realized it was not making me a better, happier, or more prepared person.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#31]
The Left intends to go full Stalin, they see this as their opportunity to crush all political dissent and gain perpetual rule. Personally I think they played their hand 10-20 years too soon due to Trump derangement syndrome and their fringe groups going full retard. If I'm right then forcing them to launch into a full scale takeover before they were ready might turn out to be the best thing Trump accomplished.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Do pirate radio stations play sea chanties (see the other sea chanty thread)???

And does the FCC's enforcement bureau have its own SWAT teams?   If not, they're missing out on that bit of fed JBT glamour...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Cracking down on those menacing churches, RV parks and gift shops (TX).  I feel safer now.  

I bet they weren't even wearing their masks when they got nabbed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Because it's legal to use FM radio, and pretty much every car has FM radio.  I'll bet almost all of these are very minor infractions like having slightly too much power.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of churches have gone to drive-in services with the Covid crap. Part of the problem is that 99% of the FM transmitters on Amazon are not FCC certified and put out many times the power allowed for a part 15 transmitter. Bezos should be billed for the fines generated by these devices.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#35]
ZZ TOP - Heard It On The X - 1980 *re-upload
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Pirate Action
Pirate radio has existed since the early days of radio, but advances in technology have allowed for the creation of a new breed of small, highly-mobile pirate radio stations. Unlicensed broadcasters can pose a hazard to the community by interfering with public safety frequencies. In addition, pirate stations compete unfairly with licensed broadcasters for advertising dollars. Such pirate operators pose a significant challenge to track and shut down, but the Enforcement Bureau’s Field offices work around the clock, using the latest technology, to accomplish this mission. This map tracks the Enforcement Bureau’s efforts to shut down such stations and take aggressive enforcement action against the operators and those who assist them. It consists of Bureau or Commission orders related to pirate radio operations, but does not include unpublished informal warnings, which may be issued in appropriate circumstances.

https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/maps/fcc-enforcement-actions-against-pirate-radio-location/
View Quote
I would bet this has more to do with communications during times of insurrection than the above mention reasons
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#38]
In communist Poland a buddy of mine used to drive around the city and play recorded pro Solidarity messages on a mobile transmitter in an effort to avoid detection,  it was very short range but it no doubt had a morale boosting effect during martial law.    

I'm sure it was part of the overall 'Radio Solidarity' efforts,  I'll have to ask him.

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/04/13/world/radio-solidarity-on-the-air-defies-polish-regime.html

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1982/07/11/Arrested-Radio-Solidarity-staff-faces-up-to-10-years-in-jail/1498395208000/

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I would bet this has more to do with communications during times of insurrection than the above mention reasons
View Quote

Oh I guarantee it
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And does the FCC's enforcement bureau have its own SWAT teams?   If not, they're missing out on that bit of fed JBT glamour...
View Quote
No. If FCC is going to do enforcement that could involved arms, they often bring along U.S. Marshals and/or local PD depending on circumstances. There was often issues with guys jamming the New York City Marathon repeaters. FCC would DF the signals and then go to the location in the company of NYPD. It was often entertaining to hear a jammer suddenly disappear with odd background noise just before they went off the air
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Some of the 87.7 ones are legit. They are using an analog TV license to broadcast audio and usually have some kind of fixed or oddball video running. Their licenses all expire in July IIRC. There is a popular channel in Chicago run by MeTV. They are trying to get an FCC authorization to allow them to maintain the analog audio channel while switch to digital for TV.
View Quote
My 10 year old listens to them all the time, and he's probably the only kid his age that knows some of those oldies.    But I can see how that spot would be attractive to some form or another of an illegal broadcast in a market where there's no licensed station there.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#43]
WTF is going on in Florida lol?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:20:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Lights out, guerrilla radio...

...turn that shit up!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Restrict the Communications is the message and it looks effective.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:27:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Way to go Florida!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Do pirate radio stations play sea chanties (see the other sea chanty thread)???

View Quote

In the urban areas (where you see most of these), they play a lot of caribbean and latin music mostly.

ETA- Then there was Radio First Termer, broadcasting from the back room of a whorehouse in Saigon in 1971.

RADIO FIRST TERMER Dave Rabbit Vietnam Radio Part 1/4

"COOKIN from the Big 69!"
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
But I can see how that spot would be attractive to some form or another of an illegal broadcast in a market where there's no licensed station there.
View Quote
Out in the boondocks one can probably get away with it but there are lot of little digital LPTV's popping up in the urban areas and being on TV channel 6 it can be a problem for a pirate. Empty spots on the low end of the FM band, where all the colleges and universities are located, is probably a better choice. A lot of 10 W and 100 W stations there with not much range.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top