Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2019 3:48:07 PM EDT
I just spent 3hr at the legislator in Carson fighting an anti-gun bill. Was the GOA there, no. Was the FPC there, no. Was the NRA there, yes. Not just one guy but 2 lobbyist and a NRA representative. Almost everyone there was an NRA member. I didn't see anyone from any other firearms group there. It's great that the other groups talk the talk, BUT where the F are they when it matters. I sure the F didn't see them. Let me guess there in Washington fighting or maybe there in court fighting. Well if the NRA stops it before it becomes law. That is way better isn't it. I am so pissed off that I joined the GOA and the FPC right now. There a F-ing joke and a waste of time
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#1]
HTF can those organizations be in all places at all times?

I would expect the organization with the most money and the most stafff to show up in the post places.

Sorry you had to deal with “an anti-gun bill”. My current legislative session has had 24.
No organization has the resources to send national representatives go to every committee hearing in every state for every one of these. For the biggest fights, yes, but we are fooling ourselves to think we can rely on outside help for every political skirmish. We must step up our local and regional efforts.

ETA: Good on OP for being there.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
HTF can those organizations be in all places at all times?

I would expect the organization with the most money and the most stafff to show up in the post places.
View Quote
This. NRA, GOA, and FPC have all had my money in the past. GOA and FPC are the only ones that still get it. I don't care much what all events the NRA shows up to, they're still key players in the GCA, RFL's, Bumpstock ban, Background checks, NFA, etc, etc.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 4:30:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 5:09:22 PM EDT
[#4]
NRA was probably their on behalf of bloomberg supporting the bill
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Have any of you gone to one of these hearings? Or is all the information you have gotten from internet chatter. What has the GOA done? I hear them talk, but I haven't seen them. As for them not being everywhere. There are only 50 states with 1 legislator's building in each capitol, They should be in every one that is fighting anti-gun legislation. I didn't get a email from the GOA about what the anti gunners are trying or a phone call, text, nothing. So what are they doing?
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So what are they doing?
View Quote
You mean besides taking the fight for the highest profile issue of the year all the way to the Supreme Court?
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You mean besides taking the fight for the highest profile issue of the year all the way to the Supreme Court?
View Quote
Cool, you can attach that bump stock to your 6rd registered fixed mag AR. Sounds great. There's a way bigger picture your not looking at.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 10:08:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The GOA and GOF are taking on the NFA in court.

The very NFA the NRA supported.

Just saying.

https://gunowners.org/gun-owners-of-america-funds-challenge-to-national-firearms-act-in-u-s-supreme-court/

They are also tried to get the bump stock van overturned...

Also, the very bump stock ban the NRA supported.

https://gunowners.org/alert31919/

They are also pushing constitutional carry in half a dozen states.
View Quote
Have you seen them in action? Have you gone to your legislator and seen them? It's great they took on the bump stock ban, but other than filing lawsuits that they knew they were going to loose. Where are they? like I said there are only 50 states and they are a multi million dollar origination. They don't have the money to hire 50 lobbyist to show up and fight? Constitutional carry is a fight the NRA is taking on the only difference is they are being effective. https://www.nraila.org/articles/20190311/governor-bevin-signs-nra-backed-constitutional-carry  how's the GOA doing? Seriously how effective are they? Have you ever talked face to face with anyone from the GOA?
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:16:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh and as a matter of fact, Today's hearing in Carson was about further expanding the bump stock ban and reinforcing it. The NRA that you say is for it, was there fighting agents it and was the one that let me know about the hearing. I also got to speak with the 2 lobbyist and got further information on who to contact and what's coming next. Didn't see or hear anything from the GOA. Not an email,text or phone call. As far as I can tell they are asleep at the wheel. I did get a sticker for joining and a weekly we need money email. If you ever go to your legislator to voice your opinion on a gun matter, I bet you will see someone from the NRA and I bet you won't see anyone from the GOA. So how effective do you think the GOA is?
If you ever go to your legislator I bet your opinion on who is in the fight with you will change It changed mine I was falling for the F-the NRA B.S. until today
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:40:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just spent 3hr at the legislator in Carson fighting an anti-gun bill. Was the GOA there, no. Was the FPC there, no. Was the NRA there, yes. Not just one guy but 2 lobbyist and a NRA representative. Almost everyone there was an NRA member. I didn't see anyone from any other firearms group there. It's great that the other groups talk the talk, BUT where the F are they when it matters. I sure the F didn't see them. Let me guess there in Washington fighting or maybe there in court fighting. Well if the NRA stops it before it becomes law. That is way better isn't it. I am so pissed off that I joined the GOA and the FPC right now. There a F-ing joke and a waste of time
View Quote
GOA specifically asked me if they were needed in FL. So far they've offered assistance but haven't been needed because our legislature is a waste of space at the moment and I told them to save their funds for other goals at the moment. Sorry man.... it sucks. But GOA is honestly good, but small. As is FPC. My NRA rep is Marion Hammer. She backed the state bump stock ban and has been indifferent to our red flag law.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 1:42:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
GOA specifically asked me if they were needed in FL. So far they've offered assistance but haven't been needed because our legislature is a waste of space at the moment and I told them to save their funds for other goals at the moment. Sorry man.... it sucks. But GOA is honestly good, but small. As is FPC. My NRA rep is Marion Hammer. She backed the state bump stock ban and has been indifferent to our red flag law.
View Quote
Resident of FL here.

I recently emailed The Cat Lady about some of the stupid shit BAWN is trying to accomplish in 2020 and received a pretty great single sentence non-answer.

300k.

A.

Year.

I must have caught her while cleaning out a litter box.  I bet a more accurate answer would have been "nothing - we aren't doing shit"

To OP: If your NRA rep doesnt suck, more power to you.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:16:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Op, you are a member of the GOA and FPC, so thank you for representing those two fine organizations to fight the good fight.  Most people bitch about someone should do something, but you picked up that banner and represented yourself, all Nevada gun owners, and the organizations that you are a member of.  Perhaps you should make it official and become the Navada representative of one or both organizations.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 2:33:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Shotgun pattern Gentlemen. I suggest supporting all of these organisations.

Are they all perfect? No. Sometimes one screws something up and another doesn't and vice versa.

The anti freedom forces are united in this country. I suggest we follow their example and not let any infighting distract us from staying the course.

Just my perspective. YMMV
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I am just sick of hearing all this anti NRA B.S. The NRA is the only organization that seems to be doing anything in NV. I have been going to the legislature on a regular basis to voice my opinion. The NRA guys are there. The NRA had a town hall meeting in Reno trying to get people organized and ready to fight. They made me understand you/we need to be in the fight not just send money and hope for the best. I've been doing that. I get emails and texts letting me know what's going on and how I can help. Not asking for money but who to contact and how. I joined the GOA and FPC because all the negative shit I've been hearing about the NRA, but so far the only organization that has been doing anything in my area is the NRA. I've been more involved in politics then I ever wanted to be and I'm seeing how it works. If all your doing is joining group's your going to loose. I understand why the NRA sides with the fuds. They show up they are at the legislator making noise. That's how the libs get shit done and that's the only way we are going to get shit done. The NRA is on the ground fighting next to me and educating me. Haven't seen or herd anything from GOA FPC except we are doing X and need money. Hate to say it but that's not how it works. Ground troops is how it works, and you and I are the ground troops. We need to be at our legislators every chance we get we need to be seen. Otherwise it's your lobbyist agents the 50 to 100 libs that show up. Who do you think the legislators are listing to
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#16]
So cool!  Seeing all this infighting!  So good for our community.  You guys are awesome.  We deserve everything we get.
Link Posted: 4/5/2019 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Shotgun pattern Gentlemen. I suggest supporting all of these organizations.
View Quote
This.
I'm a member of NRA, GOA, FPC, SAF, GCO, and some state orgs in states I'll never even live in.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 1:55:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This.
I'm a member of NRA, GOA, FPC, SAF, GCO, and some state orgs in states I'll never even live in.
View Quote
I am a member of NRA, FPC,GOA and Nevada Firearms Coalition. I am just sick and tired of the bashing on the NRA. In Nevada I have gone to almost every Pro gun rally and to the legislator on every anti gun bill. Every time there are at least 3 NRA people there. I don't know what I'm doing, they have helped me figure things out.
I understand why they didn't fight the bump stock ban and several other fights we wish they would have. It's simply because your not there, your not at the rallies your not at the legislators and your not at there grassroots work shops. At least not in numbers that show you matter. How do I know? because most of the time I'm the only AR/AK advocate in the room. Most of the legislators I have met with say I am the only citizen AR/AK guy that has contacted them to sit one on one to discuss an issue with them. It's mostly FUDS and gun club guys. If your not there your not going to be heard.
I have tried to get people on my home town forum involved, but most have given up without even trying. I have given up on them and have focused on working with people that are standing next to or at least behind me in this fight. We may loose a battle but we will not loose the war. Unfortunately the NV AR15 community will have lost without even trying. I'd rather go down fighting than just give up.
So yes I understand why the NRA dose some of what it dose. I gave up on my local AR brothers, They gave up without even the slightest effort. They bitch and complain, but have accepted there fate. Who would fight for people or a group like that? Especially when there are others standing next to and behind ready to fight.
I don't hate any of the other pro gun groups and I will continue to be a member of all of them. Maybe I should have come up with a better title, but after a day working with the NRA guys and coming here and seeing a bunch of I hate the NRA posts. I got frustrated and acted out with a stupid title. I can't change it now, that would be just weird.

TLDR: Feeling alone if a fight with only the NRA on my side. I like the other pro gun groups. To late to change title
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 3:50:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I am just sick of hearing all this anti NRA B.S. The NRA is the only organization that seems to be doing anything in NV.
View Quote
Very much akin to hating JBT rants when you feel your local boys in blue are just swell. More illustrative: Maybe the field agents of the FBI are doing all they can to keep us safe while their leadership almost got away with destroying our democracy and everything our society was built upon.

Here's the thing: it seems both perspectives may mutually exist. Your experience may be reason enough for you to support or boycott a group. Others may have good reason to think that organization lackluster or even dogshit. Your experience supports your beliefs/position but does not invalidate theirs.
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 4:52:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Cool, you can attach that bump stock to your 6rd registered fixed mag AR. Sounds great. There's a way bigger picture your not looking at.
View Quote
You may want to read the bump stock ban and pay attention to how it is worded - that IS the big picture.

YMMV
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Various people, including former NRA BoD members have said we don't need more then 5rds, let alone 10rds to defend ourselves against attacks either by criminals or government.

NRA board member Joaquin Jackson, the enemy with in

As a NRA Board Member and he flat out said in 2005 that:

"I personally believe a weapon should never have over, as far as a civilian, a five-round capacity. If you're a hunter, if you're going to go hunting with a weapon, you shouldn't need over but one round. So five rounds would be plenty ... Personally, I think assault weapons basicallyneed to be in the hands of the military, and in the hands of the police."
View Quote
That was in 2005.

In 2007 the NRA defended him via a press release.
NRA-ILA | Statement of Joaquin Jackson

Statement of Joaquin Jackson
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 15, 2007
Concerns have been raised in response to statements made by NRA Board Member Joaquin Jackson to Texas Monthly in 2005.

We have received inquiries seeking clarity as to NRA's positions on the subject matter discussed in Mr. Jackson's interview. To be clear, NRA supports the right of all law-abiding citizens to Keep and Bear Arms for all lawful purposes. We will continue, as we have in the past, to vehemently oppose any efforts to limit gun ownership by law-abiding citizens as an unconstitutional infringement on our Second Amendment freedoms. These efforts include opposition to any attempts to ban firearms, including firearms incorrectly referred to as "assault weapons", and any attempts to place arbitrary limits on magazine capacity.

For more information on NRA's legislative efforts to protect and defend the Second Amendment, please visit www.NRAILA.org  and www.Clintongunban.com.

STATEMENT OF JOAQUIN JACKSON

Some misunderstandings have arisen about a news interview I participated in a few years ago.  After watching a tape of that interview, I understand the sincere concerns of many people, including dear friends of mine.  And I am pleased and eager to clear up any confusion about my long held belief in the sanctity of the Second Amendment.

In the interview, when asked about my views of "assault weapons," I was talking about true assault weapons  fully automatic firearms.  I was not speaking, in any way, about semiautomatic rifles.  While the media may not understand this critical distinction, I take it very seriously.  But, as a result, I understand how some people may mistakenly take my comments to mean that I support a ban on civilian ownership of semiautomatic firearms.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  And, unfortunately, the interview was cut short before I could fully explain my thoughts and beliefs.

In fact, I am a proud owner of such rifles, as are millions of law-abiding Americans.  And many Americans also enjoy owning fully automatic firearms, after being cleared by a background check and meeting the rigorous regulations to own such firearms.  And these millions of lawful gun owners have every right  and a Second Amendment right  to own them.

As a hunter, I take great pride in my marksmanship.  Every hunter should practice to be skilled to take prey with a single shot, if possible.  That represents ethical, humane, skilled hunting.  In the interview several years ago, I spoke about this aspect of hunting and my belief that no hunter should take the field and rely upon high capacity magazines to take their prey.

But that comment should never be mistaken as support for the outright banning of any ammunition magazines.  In fact, such bans have been pursued over the years by state legislatures and the United States Congress and these magazine bans have always proven to be abject failures.

Let me be very clear.  As a retired Texas Ranger, during 36 years of law enforcement service, I was sworn to uphold the United States Constitution.  As a longtime hunter and shooter, an NRA Board Member, and as an American  I believe the Second Amendment is a sacred right of all law-abiding Americans and, as I stated in the interview in question, I believe it is the Second Amendment that ensures all of our other rights handed down by our Founding Fathers.  
I have actively opposed gun bans and ammunition and magazine bans in the past, and I will continue to actively oppose such anti-gun schemes in the future.

I appreciate my friends who have brought this misunderstanding to light, for it has provided me an opportunity to alleviate any doubts about my strong support for the NRA and our Second Amendment freedom.
View Quote
His true opinion on the 2nd Amendment and how it applies to the general public got loose and he back peddled two years later. NOT TWO DAYS, OR WEEKS, OR MONTHS. Two full years. And it was only after NRA members raised a stink to NRA HQ. You know why it took two years? Because he thought he'd never get caught and that his shit didn't stink. And worse is that the NRA defended him.

Even when he passed away the NRA defended him.

LaPierre Mourns Loss of Former NRA Board Member Joaquin Jackson

"Joaquin Jackson was an American hero in the truest sense," LaPierre said. "His twenty-seven years as a Texas Ranger was the stuff of legends, the heroic tales of books and movies and campfires. He loved the people he served, loved Texas and America, loved and adored his wife and family."
View Quote
LaPierre said Jackson served the NRA board with great distinction.

"Joaquin believed in the Second Amendment with all his heart and was a great friend to gun owners in his service to the NRA. I knew I could always count on his personal support and friendship."

"The NRA has lost a valued director, a trusted member of the NRA family," LaPierre continued. "America has lost a legendary lawman. I have lost one of my heroes."
View Quote
LaPierre was reminded of a conversation he once had with Jackson.

"I once asked Joaquin how he would like to be remembered," LaPierre recalled. "I'll never forget what he told me. He said, 'Wayne, I'd like to be remembered as a good hand, a Texas Ranger, a lawman that made Texas safe for decent people.' That's how I'll always remember my friend, Joaquin Jackson."
View Quote
Yup.... Wayne  LaPierre, the voice of the NRA said that about Joaquin Jackson of the Texas Rangers. The NRA Board Member that flat out said everyday Americans should not have mags over five rounds and that "Assault Weapons" should be limited to the government.

In his back peddling he first stated that he meant that Fully Automatic Firearms should be banned but then he says that "And many Americans also enjoy owning fully automatic firearms, after being cleared by a background check and meeting the rigorous regulations to own such firearms.  And these millions of lawful gun owners have every right  and a Second Amendment right  to own them."

Yup.... that's the history of part of the NRA.

Hell, after Vegas a BoD member, former President, and current lobbyist Marion Hammer flat out stated Bump Stocks are Machine Guns.

The "bump-stock" device, used by the killer in the Las Vegas shooting, converts a semi-auto rifle to a full-auto rifle.

Make no mistake, the NRA has NOT cleared the way for more regulation. If it were not for ATF's wink and nod to the manufacturer of the bump-stock, it would already be regulated under federal law. NRA has tossed it back into ATF's lap where it belongs. NRA has not agreed to any new legislation nor has NRA said we agree with any existing NFA legislation. NRA has not agreed to a ban. NRA has not agreed to anything. NRA simply insists upon enforcing existing law.
View Quote
The NRA has shown a repeated history of not being in favor of certain ownership of certain things. It flat out said Bump Stocks were MGs and tried to claim that they aren't supporting their banning because they're already banned.

That's why we need to force change by electing new members to the Board. Marion Hammer  Wayne LaPierre, and Chris Cox is part of the old guard and there are other like them and like Joaquin Jackson.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#22]
As an NRA lifetime benefactor...I can tell you the NRA isnt always there either. They didnt support machineguns in 1986...and last year they didnt defend bumpstocks in Florida. I spoke to Marion Hammer personally about it and she said the GOA was handling a lawsuit so they (NRA) were going to focus elsewhere (like age 21 laws).

At the time I was upset...Ive donated a fortune to the NRA...so instead of getting mad, I doubled down and ALSO joind GOA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top