View Quote

You woukd know, right?
Choad comment
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 6:54:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Debit cards suck.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:39:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I recommend keeping your money available in layers.

Cash in your pocket.
Cash at your house.
Credit Cards with a minimum of several months living expenses available in credit. Make sure text alerts are enabled for purchases at a fairly low dollar value. Minimum of two CC's in case one gets compromised.
Debit card with text alerts - only used for cash at the ATM.
Max one month cash in your primary checking account. (Helps limit your losses in case of fraud.)
Cash in your savings account. More can be stored here as it's less likely to be compromised.
Liquid assets through your brokerage.
Bitcoin cold storage as a dollar hedge.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:44:41 AM EDT
[#4]
The bank will likely get your money back although it takes longer than if a cc.  Every time I’ve had an issue the bank came through.  Set your notifications up to get a txt msg for anything spent over $10.  That catches it immediately.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:46:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Target has a bunch of surveillance cameras. Go after perp.
View Quote
This. And doesn't your bank have fraud protection?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:07:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:11:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
HOW MANY FUCKING TIMES MUST WE EXPLAIN WHY USING A DEBIT CARD IS A VERY BAD IDEA?
View Quote

Apparently....more times are necessary

Credit cards with virtual numbers for all online purchases. Citi even let me put an alias on my cc so it's not even my real name! I'm not sure if that helps at all...but I thought it was funny to be Turd Fergusen.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#8]
But......Dave Ramsey says credit cards are bad.  

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Still can’t believe people still put their entire paycheck in a single bank account.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

They are, if they drive financially irresponsible behavior, such as buying things you cannot really afford.  Financial "alcoholics", those are the people they are "bad" for.

If you can use a credit card, not spend more than you would on a debit card, and pay them off in full every month.....  they are useful tools to limit risk and return rewards.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:47:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Got a voice mail while I was working. Some piece of shit has my debit card info and spent my entire paycheck at Target... Mother fucking cunt faced cock gobbling piece of shit! Now I have about $100 bucks to live on for the next 2 weeks.  I am so fucking pissed off right now. I totally understand why people shoot thieves!
View Quote

That sucks it was your debit card. I just cancelled my credit card last night because some shitbird decided to order a whole bunch of golf shit all over the US.

There should be a solid solution to this problem. However, I believe the COC limits what can be said…..
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Debit car that says Visa on the front of it has the same fraud protection a credit card that says Visa on it does.

It is however a good idea to do credit then pay your credit card.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Hope they spent it at target's black-owned businesses.  That makes up for it, right?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Got a voice mail while I was working. Some piece of shit has my debit card info and spent my entire paycheck at Target... Mother fucking cunt faced cock gobbling piece of shit! Now I have about $100 bucks to live on for the next 2 weeks.  I am so fucking pissed off right now. I totally understand why people shoot thieves!
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Does your bank not have a protection policy for things like this????
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:24:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Sucks OP, not dogpiling on him, but this is why you use credit cards only!  Never, never use a debit card for online purchases or at non-bank ATMs, etc.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:28:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This happened to me twice.  I finally learned to stop using my debit card and use credit cards for everything.  Then just instantly pay off what I put on the card.

That way if they steal the card info, the CC company can get their own money back and keep mine in my bank account.
View Quote

^THIS
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:31:50 AM EDT
[#18]
While I share OP's sentiment on thieves. MAKE THEFT A CAPITAL CRIME AGAIN

I also share GD's position on debit cards. Fix your shit OP.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently the FBI will issue a warrant and spend hundreds of man hours looking for someone who uses a debit card without permission.
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up_zps5c0357b9_GIF-103.gif

Havent been keeping up with the biggest missing persons case in a CENTURY..???
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

File a police report, give a copy to the bank, they'll credit your money back to you.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Target has a bunch of surveillance cameras. Go after perp.
View Quote

In my experience the cops don't give a FUCK. Lazy as hell for things like that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Credit cards, man. American Express would void all the charges and overnight you a new card. I can't believe the customer service since I got my cards from them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Sorry OP.  But, do you know how/where they stole your card?  And how did you not notice it was gone?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's not that Dave Ramsey gives BAD advice, so much. It's that it is very basic and unsophisticated, and serves that market.

If you're massively in debt and spending more than you make, it's a good start.

But it's very lacking in some simple moves that can be very advantageous to you.

It's the equivalent of a health and fitness course for 500 pound people and the book just says "Don't eat so much. Take a walk".

Ok, that's a very good idea. To start. But if you want to be in shape you'll have to go way past that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:52:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Debit car that says Visa on the front of it has the same fraud protection a credit card that says Visa on it does.

View Quote

Yeah, except it hooks your bank account so you have to wait for your money back if something happens.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#26]
get rid of debit cards ASAP

stick with ATM cards and credit cards instead of debit cards
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Debit Card Vs. Credit Card...    When you Know the difference, you'll understand why I don't use a Debit Card.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hopefully a good lesson in using a credit card instead.

Also need an emergency stash of cash.
View Quote

This.

I only use a debit card at the bank, with a PIN.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
HOW MANY FUCKING TIMES MUST WE EXPLAIN WHY USING A DEBIT CARD IS A VERY BAD IDEA?

WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS SAFER TO USE A CREDIT CARD, SO THAT IF IT GETS COMPROMISED, THEY TAKE THE CARD ISSUER'S MONEY INSTEAD OF YOUR MONEY?

View Quote

Pretty much this in spades...
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#30]
All of my cards are turned off except for when I use them after I got hit last year. It’s a pain when I forget to turn it on and it gets declined but no one can use them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:08:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I called and had my account locked down. Going to see what my bank says tomorrow but I'm just so pissed off right now. With all the jobs out there for anyone to get and people are doing this shit instead! Get a job you fucking low life pieces of shit! Their dads should have shot them into a sock instead of his sister.
View Quote

Typically it's the card issuer that handles this - or their contracted people - and they'll put the $$ back into your account immediately on a provisional basis, even for a debit card.

But this is a good reason to use credit cards to pay for stuff - when someone steals a CC, they're taking the banks money, not your money; they're a bit more gung-ho to deal with it.   But get 2 card numbers, don't use your gas/grocery/online purchase card # for autopaying bills, unless you like setting payment up again when it gets stolen.   And it will.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:12:52 PM EDT
[#32]
My credit card texts me every time there’s a charge on the card.  Sometimes I’ll get the text before I’ve even put the card back into my wallet when I’m checking out.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

How did you not know your debit card was gone for two days.
View Quote
My debit card is still in my wallet.  I don't know how the hell they used it in person but that's what the card service guy said. Target in Shamburg and I'm a good hour away from there.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS SAFER TO USE A CREDIT CARD, SO THAT IF IT GETS COMPROMISED, THEY TAKE THE CARD ISSUER'S MONEY INSTEAD OF YOUR MONEY?

FUCK!
View Quote

'Tards gonna 'tard.

This post is not directed at any specific 'tard, living or dead. Any similarities to actual 'tards is purely coincidental.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My debit card is still in my wallet.  I don't know how the hell they used it in person but that's what the card service guy said. Target in Shamburg and I'm a good hour away from there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did you not know your debit card was gone for two days.

Any retail cashier who had possession for just a few seconds could take a pic of your card. Or if you used it online, hackers could have stolen from online retailer database
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#36]
I always leave my debit card locked. I only unlock it when I make a purchase or go to the atm.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
If they ran it as a debit w/PIN, that could be an issue.  I know my bank won't reimburse for this.

If they ran it as a CC transaction, you should be covered and the bank will credit your account.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That makes more sense with the CC
had this happen to me once, thankfully my credit union got my money back.

having said that, get a credit card and pay it off at the end of the month. Banks care ALOT more when its their money and not yours.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That makes more sense with the CC
had this happen to me once, thankfully my credit union got my money back.

having said that, get a credit card and pay it off at the end of the month. Banks care ALOT more when its their money and not yours.

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
From what card services told me it was in person and they flagged and blocked another charge at the same store later that same day. But they were spending my money for two days before they got shut down
View Quote
You have the option on every one of your cards to get a text warning whenever a purchase over .10 cents is made. You can set it for whatever amount you like but thieves generally make a few small charges to test the account before making a big charge. The text notification is instantaneous, so if you see a charge and don't recognize it you can shut the card down immediately via the app.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Debit card.

lol

Do you even cash back, bro?
View Quote

LOL. This. Debit card is ONLY used to get cash from an ATM.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Call and ask them how it was used in person when its still in your wallet.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I support the Brazen Bull for thieves!

https://glengreen.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/brazen_bull.jpg
View Quote

What sweet sweet music it makes when you load it with ANTIFA terrorists? Inquiring minds want to know!
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Do they have them on camera at the register?  Call the place and ask them to not record over that time slot.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Can't contest it? PNC is pretty good about stopping that shit.
View Quote

This x87,000

Had it happen once over ten years ago. Chase put the money back in my account the next day if I remember correctly
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:39:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
On line??  If online call the number on transaction(Target phone #) that shows on your account.  Explain what’s going on and have them look up order under YOUR name and info.  It will have had to be placed using your name, card# and address.  They(target) should be able to cancel the transaction and possibly stop the shipment to whatever ship to address the their has set up

ETA: I’ve found you have to be proactive.  My bank has a system set up that anytime a purchase of $1 or more is made I get a txt and a email.  I’ve had 100% success in the path doing what I described above in getting the charges cancelled/reversed and keeping the thief from getting the stolen shit.
View Quote

Same. I get an immediate text anytime it’s used
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I called and had my account locked down. Going to see what my bank says tomorrow but I'm just so pissed off right now. With all the jobs out there for anyone to get and people are doing this shit instead! Get a job you fucking low life pieces of shit! Their dads should have shot them into a sock instead of his sister.
View Quote

Bank should cover what they stole from your account.

How did they get the PIN# ?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:47:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Any retail cashier who had possession for just a few seconds could take a pic of your card. Or if you used it online, hackers could have stolen from online retailer database
View Quote

Or stood beside you with an RF reader
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:47:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a Visa debit and a Visa credit and your statement is valid.

CC is for emergencies, debit is for daily expenses.
I like having a zero balance CC, it grates on me until I clear it when I do use it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Bro... just have your bank dispute the transactions. The money should be back into your account in 1 day pending 30 - 90 day investigation.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I have a Visa debit and a Visa credit and your statement is valid.

CC is for emergencies, debit is for daily expenses.
I like having a zero balance CC, it grates on me until I clear it when I do use it.
View Quote

No offense, but you have that exactly backwards. Use the CC for daily expenses. When you get home at the end of the day, jump onto your bank's bill payment page and push money to the CC to cover what you spent that day, from the receipts you have in your pocket from each purchase. Takes only a couple of minutes, and you keep a zero CC balance AND reduce the risk of theft by avoiding use of a debit card. If your CC is a rewards card, it is even better because it is like getting a discount on everything you buy.

I swear, some of you guys either don't understand the basics of avoiding monetary risk, or choose to live in denial.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top