Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2023 12:56:33 AM EDT
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/f-35c-with-mirror-like-coating-photographed-aboard-carrier

The photos of the jet in question were published by the Defense Department and show the F-35C doing a touch-and-go aboard the carrier.
Two things are quite intriguing about the F-35C being shown.
First is the multi-toned mirror-like treatment applied to the outside and inside of its vertical tails.
The installations on each tail are made up of patches of dark and shiny sheet and tile-like coatings.
Similar coating has been shown to change dramatically based on the angle of view, going from opaque to transparent, and in some cases, from shiny to dark, based on where the viewer is looking at it from.
The upper wings also appear to have strips of the same roughly three types of coatings we have seen on other stealthy aircraft.

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 12:57:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/f-35c-with-mirror-like-coating-photographed-aboard-carrier
https://www.thedrive.com/uploads/2023/12/02/F35C-coating-scaled.jpg?auto=webp&crop=16%3A9&auto=webp&optimize=high&quality=70&width=1920
The photos of the jet in question were published by the Defense Department and show the F-35C doing a touch-and-go aboard the carrier.
Two things are quite intriguing about the F-35C being shown.
First is the multi-toned mirror-like treatment applied to the outside and inside of its vertical tails.
The installations on each tail are made up of patches of dark and shiny sheet and tile-like coatings.
Similar coating has been shown to change dramatically based on the angle of view, going from opaque to transparent, and in some cases, from shiny to dark, based on where the viewer is looking at it from.
The upper wings also appear to have strips of the same roughly three types of coatings we have seen on other stealthy aircraft.

View Quote

Looks like the same coating they were testing on the F-117
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 1:05:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Solar panels. It's the new green version.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 1:37:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I’m guessing to match current Chinese stealth.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 1:38:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 1:40:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Sadly this... no branch is safe from the climate agenda.

Artists rendering of the next generation fighter...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 1:47:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I don’t see anything.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 2:20:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

I meant the reflective surface gives a radar cross section of current Chinese tech.

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 4:33:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't recall seeing any 117s with the mirror finish, but there were certainly sightings of more than one F-22 dressed like that.

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 8:58:34 AM EDT
[#10]
All the services are looking at coatings now.  Recall the blue camo army Blackhawk posted about here a month or two ago - that is even a plastic film wrap and not paint so it can be applied in hours rather than weeks required to paint an aircraft.  

Different paints or coatings give camoflauge in more than just the visual spectrum - you can change the aircraft’s signature in all of the IR bands, UV, radar, as well as other spectrums you might be concerned with.  You could, for example, change the aircraft signature in one IR band but not in another to defeat one specific threat system that is tuned to identify a specific aircraft.  

The patches on those planes are likely for testing the durability of the coating or for in-flight measurement of the characteristics that the coating is intended to modify.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 9:01:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Im mot seeing a mirror like coating in that pic...
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#12]
New ceramic coating by Meguire's on DoD contract.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#13]
At that angle it will reflect the ocean surface, might be it's simply camouflage like a mirror hunting blind
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 9:42:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Holosun F35C. Wonder how the shake awake feature works
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought some vinyl car wrap like that off Temu.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I would figure that one of those crashed spaceships had a cloaking device. We should use that.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does it have shake awake? What’s the battery life like?
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Its a glitch in the retro reflective panels control system. Optical stealth system that only cost 18 billion to put on per aircraft.
Lets see if any one bites.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:04:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I see it fine. That's just a reflection on you.

Nick
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:08:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
At that angle it will reflect the ocean surface, might be it's simply camouflage like a mirror hunting blind
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172926/morror-hunting-blind6_jpg-3053095.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I wonder if lasers can damage it
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#22]
F35 can damage its radar absorbent coating if flown at top speed.

I wonder if this is to allow the speed to increase without damage to radar coating.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:31:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nick
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nick

Badum-tis
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I wonder if lasers can damage it
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#25]
I could tell you what it is but then I'd have to kill you.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#26]
maybe a directed energy countermeasure
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Its to reflect Laser Beams lol
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#28]
My first thought is that it's to make visual identification more difficult, especially at a distance. It breaks up the outline of the vertical stabilizers where viewed from the side.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Don't recall seeing any 117s with the mirror finish, but there were certainly sightings of more than one F-22 dressed like that.

https://www.thedrive.com/content/2021/11/F-22-Silver-coating-nellis.jpg?quality=85
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.thedrive.com/content/2021/11/F-22-Silver-coating-nellis.jpg?quality=85

@MudEagle

I saw a YT video about the 117 still flying.  Looks like the Drive wrote a piece on the two planes.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/43938/f-35-and-f-117-spotted-flying-with-mysterious-mirror-like-skin
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#30]
No idea what it’s for but I do know that American combat aircraft are amazing. F6F to F-35 is a pretty good run of air dominance fighters.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#31]
I love the look and just in general like the concept of shiny stealth aircraft.

Perhaps in the not too distant future we could have different colors. Like gold.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:32:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Chrome won't get you home, or will it?
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Just a layman's guess but aren't those vertical stabilizers one of the biggest contributors to the plane's radar return? Maybe they're targeting specific areas for special coating rather than doing the whole plane? Max return on investment and so forth.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#34]
I don't know what it is, but, it could be something not related to actual stealth at all.

It could be a coating that is made to cost Russia and China money. A technological dead end if you will. We may only have it on a plane or two, to fool them into thinking it works. Then they go down the very, very expensive research rabbit hole, pulling money away from conventional forces, weapons etc.

You have to think. Why would we showcase this tech, especially in the testing phase? That particular photo was taken on a carrier, so the person taking it had to be authorized, and instructed to take it. So, why was he instructed to take it, and why was it released to the public?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top