Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2020 1:36:52 PM EDT
On yesterday's walk, my dog sniffed that a coyote had passed by "her" territory.  Her hackles went up and she began barking. Yet her tail was wagging.

What's with the tail wagging?
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Happy for some action?  Hard to say. We had a Kai Dog and he was not the friendliest towards other dogs. However, his tail would still wag as he was trying to run over and assert himself upon whatever he set his sights on.  Same with people, just because his tail was wagging did not mean he wanted anything to do with you.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Most see a dog wagging it's tail as happy. Not always true. It can also mean danger, aggression, fear.  Which it is telling you depends on the rest of the dog's body language seen at the same time.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 2:56:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure, my dog doesn't have a tail.

She's a Border Collie/ Aussie/ Blue tick mix master breed.  Last summer I caught her chasing a coyote out of the yard hot on it's heels, and today when I was loading my atv on a trailer outside my gate she was barking like hell at the two Pyranees that live across the road.

She does act way above her weight class.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#4]
My K9 wags his tail while growling and barking right before he attacks...there is nothing friendly about his tail wagging...my guess is he is wagging his tail out of aggression/excitement/adrenaline ...he has always done this and its not subtle...
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Tail wagging turns out to be pretty complicated, with the height of the tail, speed of wag, and even “right/left bias” having meaning. The type of barking also communicates a lot.

My 9 month old GSD hackles up when she’s excited about many things. Her back looks like a Mohawk during rowdy play with the boxer.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#6]
When both my pyrenees and lab sense “danger” , their tails are up and stiff, no waging.

When pyrenees gets hackles up front to back, its a sight to see, he looks pretty badass. And being that he is 50% pyrenees and 50% Anatolian shepherd makes it intimidating.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Most see a dog wagging it's tail as happy. Not always true. It can also mean danger, aggression, fear.  Which it is telling you depends on the rest of the dog's body language seen at the same time.
View Quote
Nailed it.

Waggy tail does not always mean happy tail, just like a smile doesn’t always mean someone’s happy. We have tense smiles, evil smiles, sad smiles, etc.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Over the years, I have learned what the various tail states of my dog mean.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top