Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/21/2024 3:16:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Take Prilosec before eating spicy or fried foods?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Something like that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:20:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes.  Very minor ones.  They make me worry that I will actually have a heart attack and not know it.

I also have some weird minor spasms in the center of my sternum from either stress, too much caffeine, or stress. One happened during a routine exam and doc rolled in the EKG.  Clean strip, no issues.  Now it says "anxiety" in my med record.

No matter what, good plan is to get a trust attorney and make sure your shit is together. You will worry less. My consolidation took 6 months and the last transaction was completed a couple days ago.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep I used to get them so bad that I felt like I needed a tube inserted into my chest to vent off the unbelievable pressure. All I could do is rock back and forth in excruciating pain.

The only thing that I found that really helps is about 8 oz of very warm water with about two tablespoons of baking soda and down it. Usually burps some decent relief
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:25:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Can't say that I have.

The one time chest pains landed me in the ER, I really was about to have heart attack. Turned out to be severe anemia, and my heart was going 120 bpm trying to pump enough of my watered down blood to keep me from suffocating.

7 units of blood, a couple iron transfusions, and stopping the internal bleeding, and I feel like a new man.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep I used to get them so bad that I felt like I needed a tube inserted into my chest to vent off the unbelievable pressure. All I could do is rock back and forth in excruciating pain.

The only thing that I found that really helps is about 8 oz of very warm water with about two tablespoons of baking soda and down it. Usually burps some decent relief
View Quote

And I can never drink something like water and then beer it brings it on for some reason
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I call those "migratory fart attacks"

its like, how the fuck a fart get in my shoulder?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, the last time that I ate too many sugar free Jolly Ranchers.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:29:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes.  Very minor ones.  They make me worry that I will actually have a heart attack and not know it.

I also have some weird minor spasms in the center of my sternum from either stress, too much caffeine, or stress. One happened during a routine exam and doc rolled in the EKG.  Clean strip, no issues.  Now it says "anxiety" in my med record.

No matter what, good plan is to get a trust attorney and make sure your shit is together. You will worry less. My consolidation took 6 months and the last transaction was completed a couple days ago.
View Quote

Diagnosed with Anxiety?

Gubment gon' take your guns away. Oh wait, they will insist you either take mind altering drugs or forfeit your guns.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I used to get them a lot. I was depressed enough back then that they didn't scare me. I was disappointed that they weren't the real deal.

Dealing with acid reflux helped with the chest pains, but that was from the reccomendation of a doctor who had EKG data to interpret.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Every now and then I get a twinge of chest pain and think “Is this it? Am I having the big one?”. Then it goes away and doesn’t repeat itself.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Too much pulled pork will do that. Don’t overdo it and make sure you chew thoroughly.  Pork takes longer to digest than any other meat. If you overdo it, it’ll feel like I will lead weight hanging from your heart.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah.  Three of 'em turned out to be heart attacks.

Now it's kind of a triage thing with me.
Mild discomfort -> wait
Continuing discomfort -> Alka Seltzer
Continuing discomfort -> watch closely
Start sweating -> call ambulance

I will say that a few years back while I was doing strict keto I had zero problems with indigestion or heartburn.  Not "reduced incidence"... none.  For two years.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes. Baking soda and water is what I use for acid reflux, faster than anything.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Gal Bladder attacks?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#17]
When I actually had bad indigestion and reflux, I never felt anything in my chest.  A CPAP made all of that go away completely.

My wife is a very finicky eater and has never had heartburn.  She has no idea what it feels like.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:05:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Had a close friend at the gun club that was about 60 with a beer belly and smoked like 3 packs a day. As they say , "poster boy for a heart attack"

Went to his Dr three days in a row with chest pains and all the guy did was suggest different antacids. On the forth day his daughter made him go to the hospital where he had a series of heart attacks for three or four days.

Several months later they did a bypass on him. He lived 3 or 4 years but was in lousy shape for most of that time.

He of course never went back to the first Dr. and none of his new Dr, would give him a clue about what his condition would have been if he had been treated when the shit first hit the fan.

I have got to believe he would have been no worse and likely much better if he had gotten prompt care.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#19]
You too, eh OP?

My ER visit was about a month and a half ago. Pretty high pain level, sweating, ashen complexion, three hits of nitro, aspirin, IV. Amberlamps ride, six hours in ER and kicked out. Just got through the follow up nuke stress treadmill and echocardio.

I think it was the goddamned pizza.

Since then I went back on the eating pattern I used to use prior to the shit show. Lost 14 pounds so far with no additional issues. Basically running carbs less than 70g/day, no additional sugars, and keeping a close eye on portions, plus adding in more walking. Gotta lose the weight.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:07:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I've had GERD/heartburn so bad I've wished for a massive heart attack before.

I cut way back on Coke (Coca-Cola, that is) and I no longer take Omeprazole daily.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:08:48 PM EDT
[#21]
No.

But, I had a heart attack and thought it was gas pains.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#22]
YES. It was excruciating. Happened at least once a week. Tried everything and could not pinpoint a specific food or eating habit that caused it. I'm not overweight and eat pretty healthy. Finally caved and went to the doc, turned out I had a hiatal hernia that ended up having to have a minor outpatient procedure to fix. Unfortunately it could come back eventually, and if so they'll have to do a more invasive procedure installing a mesh on my esophagus. It's been two years now with only minor issues very occasionally, so hopefully I can go a while before having to do that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:11:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Right now in fact
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Apple juice and pure Aloe helped my similar pain(gas and acid).
If you have to burp then burp if you can’t go fucking walk.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah I had that happen about a year ago.  ER, stress test etc...
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:17:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Gal Bladder attacks?
View Quote

This,thought sure it was a heart attack.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Yup. Then I had a heart attack. Different kind of pain.

Now, hikkup and belch log jam thing is painful.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:19:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Yeah I get them.  I also have a back injury that can make pain appear in my chest and sternum, sometimes feels like an icepick stabbing.  When I do have a heart attack I won't know which thing is happening until I'm dead.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#29]
The great thing is, sometimes they *are* heart attacks!
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#30]
All the time. Pepcid chewables are my constant companion.

Just chalk it up to another side effect of chemo/radiation. I never had it before beginning that.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Happens to me a least once a month. Goes all the the way through my shoulder and down my arm. I just try to burp a lot and it usually relieves it after a few minutes. Caused by GERD. It sucks.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I've had them a few times, as well as the shoulder pain from gas.

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:36:34 PM EDT
[#33]
A fart attack?  Never that bad, but sometimes unpleasant.

I know people who have gone to the ER for it thinking it was a heart attack.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#34]
You can't leave the butt plug in that long.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:43:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Pop 7 or so organic fennel seeds and chew on them once a day.  Solves more gastro problems than I can list. It works for me. Motivationaldoc on utube put me on this.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#36]
I used to get squeezing, constricting style chest pains that my doctor said was indigestion. The pain would come on slowly but rapidly leave after about ten minutes or so. They had me on all manner of acid reflux drugs for years and the chest pains would still happen every now and then.

Then one day the pain came on and didn't subside. Went to the ER and after a bunch of tests and rigamarole they diagnosed me with cholelithiasis (gall stones) and pulled my gallbladder out. Turns out I had huge gall stones that were blocking the bile duct and were impossible to pass. Since getting my gallbladder removed I've never had another one of those chest pains.

Also during the tests they discovered I also had a minor hiatal hernia that was probably what was causing my acid reflux.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Yep. A meatball hero had some spices in it that I was not expecting and it was a WTF.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Never experienced it myself, but in EMT school they told us that severe gas pains can sometimes mimic heart attack symptoms.

So I guess it's a thing?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Too much pulled pork will do that. Don’t overdo it and make sure you chew thoroughly.  Pork takes longer to digest than any other meat. If you overdo it, it’ll feel like I will lead weight hanging from your heart.
View Quote

I am a very fast eater, I think not chewing food all the way can lead to a myriad of problems. I really need to focus hard when eating so that I don't rush and swallow food half chewn (chewed?)
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Me! Last night and today. Tons of burps, with tightness in the chest. It’s gotten somewhat better. But still burping and still discomfort in my chest.

Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It is apparently a VERY common occurrence.

Whether acid reflux, gas, or other related issues.  A nurse told me that they've occasionally had cardiologists come in, thinking they were having a heart attack.
View Quote

I was told these were esophageal spasms, and yes, they are very common. What's worse is that they cause chest pains that sometimes radiate to the arm, which is what we're always told is a sign of a heart attack.

Usually associated with reflux, but not always.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#42]
I've had some chest pains that I prayed were heart attacks
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've had some chest pains that I prayed were heart attacks
View Quote

Lol. How so?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Yes, definitely!

Luckily (I guess) I’ve had a heart attack so I know what it really feels like and had none of the other symptoms. Didn’t stop me from worrying a little bit though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:05:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Ever see a cardiogist?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:07:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I used to get squeezing, constricting style chest pains that my doctor said was indigestion. The pain would come on slowly but rapidly leave after about ten minutes or so. They had me on all manner of acid reflux drugs for years and the chest pains would still happen every now and then.

Then one day the pain came on and didn't subside. Went to the ER and after a bunch of tests and rigamarole they diagnosed me with cholelithiasis (gall stones) and pulled my gallbladder out. Turns out I had huge gall stones that were blocking the bile duct and were impossible to pass. Since getting my gallbladder removed I've never had another one of those chest pains.

Also during the tests they discovered I also had a minor hiatal hernia that was probably what was causing my acid reflux.
View Quote

My second acute gall bladder episode landed me in the hospital. Why did it take 2 you ask?

Post gall bladder removal was 3 days of constipation. That was very bad as well.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Gas, no...
Heartburn yes. Prilosec kills that shit dead.
4mg nicotine lozenges about sent me running to the emergency room too.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#48]
I do occasionally

I’ll put about a half teaspoon of baking soda in a  cup of water and ill burp it away

Works every time
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:12:47 PM EDT
[#49]
No but I thought I was being stabbed in the guts at the end of a meal at the Hibachi restaurant. The pain was so bad I went out to the car while everyone else was finishing their meal and after a few minutes of agony I proceeded to fart for what felt like 45 seconds, it was one of those where I really wished there was someone to share it with because nobody would believe me. I mean seriously, I've seen the post colonoscopy IG clips and those weren't nearly as impressive as whatever my guts had to release that day. I don't think I've ever felt more relieved.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Not since I stopped eating pepperoni, and bell peppers.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top