Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
A month or so ago, i was in Lone Pine CA. From there you can drive thru the locations where hundreds of Western movies were filmed.
View Quote

The Alabama Hills.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, many in Los Angeles, New York and a few in Arizona and Georgia.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I couldn't count how many places of having just "been to." It'd have to be in the hundreds or thousands, but of places I've lived:

Las Vegas ring a bell? Who knows how many movies.

Kauai has been in a ton of movies. Jurassic Park, Raiders of the Lost Arc, Avatar, Tropic Thunder, etc. A friend of a friend was a gaffer (or some low level job), ended up marrying Evangeline Lily and we lived across the street from them for a while. They have an entire county program just for feature films.

San Diego/SoCal - Top Gun, Anchorman, tons of others.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Eckley Miners Village outside Hazelton, PA where they filmed The Molly Maguires.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I forgot about Animal House. I've walked around the campus in Eugene Oregon and have seen several of the buildings in the movie. I've been in the cafeteria were the food fight occurred. The interior has completely changed from the movie.

The golf ball scene was filmed with their track stadium in the background. I stood on the side walk near where they hit the golf balls. Since the movie, they put up a new track stadium, re-landscaped, and put up a fence along the sidewalk, so I couldn't get to the exact spot.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Yea, a couple.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada.  It has been used for several movies including Total Recall.  I stopped at a scenic overlook with the family.  About 3/4 a mile away, down a rocky and hilly path, I could see the corner of an old derelict building.  Probably from the 1800s.  Maybe there was an entire ghost town down there just out of view...I love that shit.  My wife and kids did not want to walk that far, so I set off on my own.  It was hot.  I'm fat.  The terrain was rough.  I had a pretty good pace going because I didnt want to leave the wife and kids in the parked car too long.  As I rounded a corner, the building was finally in full view.  It was just a partial shell of a building.  I looked at it for a couple minutes and thought something was a little odd about it.  Aha, a plaque telling me what this surely 150+ year old building was....a movie prop from some movie filmed in the 1970s.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Been here a few times, first time was long ago when I was a little kid.

Been by the house in the final scene in Twister. Was originally planned to be demolished, and then they fixed it up so much for the movie, they didn't destroy it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

Forrest Gump Hwy
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Alcatraz
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I have been to, and swam around in, Thunderball grotto in Staniel Cay, Bahams, where parts of the movie Thunderball were filmed (and  a whole lot of other locations in the Bahamas where other scenes were filmed).

It's a lot smaller in real life than it looked in the movie.  When the tide is high, you have to hold your breath and swim underwater to get into it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I live near this one.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:00:24 PM EDT
[#13]
The Beach in "From Here to Eternity"

Los Pollos Hermanos in Albuquerque

Omaha Beach at Normandie, as well as the American Cemetery and Pointe Du Hoc
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Flysc:
I always thought it would be cool to visit the location where Magua had his last fight in Last of the Mohicans.

Any of you ever vist a non-studio scene location of one of your favorite movies?
View Quote

I’ve hiked up chimney rock where that scene was filmed, it’s pretty cool. I’ve also been to the location of the swamp hideout in the Patriot. That was filmed in Cypress Gardens, not too far away from Charleston SC.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:10:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Torf] [#16]
Many of these may have already been mentioned in the 9 pages so far.

Multiple scenes from "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", "The Fugitive, "Blues Brothers" etc.  Chicago movies.
Also, "Bullit", "The Rock", "Vertigo", and other numerous films shot around San Francisco.
Loads of airport scenes were shot at the Ontario Intl. Airport in Ontario, CA, including parts of the TV series "24".

One that probably hasn't been mentioned.  In "Atlas Shrugged part I", there were a few scenes of them laying tracks with Reardon metal.  I am very familiar with the valley that was filmed in.  I remember jumping off the couch when I saw it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been to Petra, Jordan, where this scene was shot. The inside is ridiculously tiny and obviously nothing like what the movie portrayed.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:13:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I visited Valley of Fire in Nevada. I understand some movies and TV shows were filmed there. I can understand why. It is otherworldly.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Is that the Castle of Aaargh?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Does having a sequel to a famous movie filmed a few doors down the street count?
The original is an ARF favorite.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By mr_o:

I would love to do that as well as go to the town from First Blood.
View Quote

Hope, BC.

I'll have to find my pictures.  Drove thru on a Scout canoeing trip.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah i used to live in Atlanta
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes, the one the OP mentions.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:37:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HourOfAngle] [#24]
Been to a lot of the plantation homes in Louisiana. I'm sure a lot of films and bits of films were filmed there mostly outside for second. Couldn't tell you what movies or which plantation.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been to the Rebel base on Yavin IV
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#26]
The cave where Noah was filmed on Renisfjara black sand beach and Skogafoss where some of Vikings were filmed in Iceland.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Wife and I lived and worked in Chicago for 30 years.

LOTS of movies were shot in Chicago, in places we saw every day. We even watched movies being filmed.

After a while, it stops being a big deal.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Proto3:
Yea, a couple.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By BikerNut:
Wife and I lived and worked in Chicago for 30 years.

LOTS of movies were shot in Chicago, in places we saw every day. We even watched movies being filmed.

After a while, it stops being a big deal.
View Quote

First time I visited chicago for work, I told the office I was planning on riding by the houses they film the show Shameless and take pictures.  All the locals said don't.  It was the rough part of town and I'd get shot.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By LDAguy:

Seriously ????

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LDAguy:
Originally Posted By xmission:

Also, some actor ate pudding on the porch roof of my house in the walking dead.

Seriously ????

Yes. I had sold it at that point, but it was the house my daughter grew up in.

There was a zombie in her room in that episode.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#31]
The Outsiders. Several of my friends were extras as well.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:09:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Bullet
Dirty Harry movies
Star Trek IV
Mrs. Doubtfire
The Rock
The Game
.,, and hundreds more
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:23:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Carousel was filmed in part in our town.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:28:35 PM EDT
[#34]
The MacDowells restaurant from Coming to America was actually a Wendy's and my bus stop to 7th and 8th grade was in front of it.

Lots of movies were filmed where I grew up in Queens.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:39:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Lots of em. Here’s a few unique ones.

This pier.

This courtroom. Men of Honor

Fire in the Sky.

Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:02:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
A month or so ago, i was in Lone Pine CA. From there you can drive thru the locations where hundreds of Western movies were filmed.
View Quote

I think Tremors was filmed there too.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:03:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By LeeFred:
The Goldfield Hotel in Goldfield, NV.  Super Soul (Clevon Little) broadcast his show from the bottom corner closest to the camera in the move, Vanishing Point.

https://i.imgur.com/C5peH5W.jpg
View Quote

Never heard of the movie.  I’ve been through the town.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:05:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Tjcj:

I've drank in the bar from Northern Exposure
View Quote

I saw the totem pole.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:11:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Maybe someday I'll see the European examples listed earlier.
I would love to see Mt. Hood, I love the Shining, it's my favorite.

Some have been posted before but.

SF:
Alcatraz several times.
Cable Cars.
Proposed to the wife on the Golden Gate mid span.
Painted Ladies and Ms. Doubtfire House.
The Cost Plus robbery in Dirty Harry Magnum Force, as of 2018 the Cost Plus was still there @ Taylor / N. Point St.
Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, Sudden Impact and Lost Boys
Crystal Springs Reservoir lays on the San Andreas fault, seen with a lone fisherman in James Bond A View to a Kill

Statue of Liberty
Empire State Building.
Times Square

Ran the Rocky Steps in Philly. That is a really nice museum BTW.

Washington D.C. Mall

Antietam

Hangar S.
VAB.
LC A, B, 5, 14, 19.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By BillythePoet:

You gotta watch it now
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By electrojk:
Pretty much every scene in this movie, including the swimming hole which I'm not allowed to post, lol. I got to see some of the shoots for The Hot Spot and What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/160767/1000004463_jpg-3200140.JPG

I grew up in and around Travis and Williamson Counties, which have been featured in a ton of movies even when not counting Austin itself. Lots of historic downtown areas which made for good scenery in the 80s and 90s. Blood Simple hits me with massive nostalgia every time I see the scenes around Hutto.

@BillythePoet
I forgot all about The Hot Spot, got to watch them film some scenes at the car lot set they built on 2nd street next Louie Mueller's.

I'm going to have to watch Blood Simple now to see how many places I recognize. I have never heard of the movie which is surprising since I've lived in Hutto for most of my 46 years.  

Do you remember the movie Heartbreak Hotel that was filmed in/around Taylor in the late 80s? They filmed a scene right by my cousins house off of CR101/Hwy 79 of the characters walking in the field between the big power lines.

@electrojk
That's the same location we watched! Louie Mueller was a weekly meal with my grandparents and it will always be my favorite. I remember them mentioning Heartbreak Hotel being shot, but I never watched it. Got to see one of the Texas Chainsaw Massacres near Round Rock I think. I was pretty young then though. Definitely check out Blood Simple.

I looked up the filming locations for Blood Simple. My house is in the area where they filmed the burial in the field.

You gotta watch it now

@BillythePoet
Got around to watching it tonight, entertaining movie.

Recognized Mt Bonnell, Dessau dance hall and the house in the field.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:49:10 PM EDT
[#41]
A few of the places from Road Trip (filmed in Athens), and several of the scenes from My Cousin Vinny (Eatonton,Jackson, and Monticello, GA).
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:28:06 AM EDT
[#42]

@BillythePoet
Got around to watching it tonight, entertaining movie.

Recognized Mt Bonnell, Dessau dance hall and the house in the field.
View Quote

We used to go dancing there a lot when i was a kid.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:30:41 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Drove that stretch last year.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:37:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: norco] [#44]
Attachment Attached File

Went here around Christmas a while back. It’s the church from Die Hard 2, the snowmobile chase scene was filmed across the street.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#45]
I used to shop in the convenience store all the time where they filmed the opening scene in the charlie sheen movie The Chase.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:37:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Just remembered two I went to last year

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Torf:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Torf:

No, it’s where highlander started

@Torf
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Deliver Us From Evil (2014) - A Biting Suspect Scene (3/10) | Movieclips
This and another scene from this movie were filmed where I worked
A few other movies were filmed here as well as episodes from shows like Law and Order and Person of Interest

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:13:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BobP] [#49]
Originally Posted By Pesty:

https://i.postimg.cc/cJBgkGht/IMG-4339.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/G23BZgg7/IMG-4402.jpg

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pesty:

https://i.postimg.cc/cJBgkGht/IMG-4339.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/G23BZgg7/IMG-4402.jpg

The restoration of Sad Hill Cemetery is an interesting story
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jun/22/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-graveyard-back-from-the-dead

The funding for the restoration was unique
He was also taken with their ingenious, if morbid, crowdfunding strategy for restoring the graveyard’s 5,000 wooden crosses: for €15, anyone, anywhere can have their name, nickname or initials inscribed on a cross.

“That’s its unique selling point,” he said. “It’s the only cemetery in the world where you can visit your own grave.”
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:23:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pesty] [#50]
Cool story.

Very glad I went. Loved it

The Conan site was also great, not so much for the movie it’s only seen for 30 seconds maybe but it’s just a really cool place
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top