Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2024 5:04:46 PM EDT
I recently switched to Spectrum from Bright Speed/ Century Link. The modem they give you is connected to your network via coax cable. My old service used an ethernet connection to get it running. I have done a good bit of looking to find a modem that runs on ethernet only. Are there any recommendations for one which is compatible with Spectrum? I have coax plugs the issue is my previous set up allowed me to have everything out of the way. TIA
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:17:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Check Spectrums website.  In my area they have a list of modems that are compatible.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:18:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#2]
So the line coming into your house is a cat6 cable?

I have never seen that before.

If you had century link, that line coming into your house may be a phone line (4 wires) not an Ethernet line (8 wires).

To my knowledge spectrum only runs coax or fiber optic lines into your house, and the modem is necessary to convert that to Ethernet ports.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Something doesn't sound right.

Does your Spectrum modem have any ethernet ports on the back?

Is it wireless only?

What you need is a router.  Depending on the answers above will determine which router you need.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By drfroglegs:
So the line coming into your house is a cat6 cable?

I have never seen that before.

If you had century link, that line coming into your house may be a phone line (4 wires) not an Ethernet line (8 wires).

To my knowledge spectrum only runs coax or fiber optic lines into your house, and the modem is necessary to convert that to Ethernet ports.
View Quote

The CenturyLink modem was plugged into this connection CAT 5E.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 6:44:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By number40Fan:
Something doesn't sound right.

Does your Spectrum modem have any ethernet ports on the back?

Is it wireless only?

What you need is a router.  Depending on the answers above will determine which router you need.
View Quote

I have a router, but from my understanding it has to be plugged into the modem.  The modem has one Ethernet por, which the router is plugged into. I have wifi/internet in the house my problem is I am not fond of the location. When I had the previous provider I had everything on top of my cabinets in my kitchen, out of sight out of mind. The coax locations in my house aren't ideal. I currently have it set up in a spare bedroom that I'm using as a movie room. It isn't too big of an issue because I don't have my TV in yet but when I do, I will have it, receiver Xbox and sub plugged into the outlet nearby. Right now I have the modem, router and my Arlo hub plugged into it. I have a mesh setup which isn't plugged in but that will take up real estate too once I start using it too.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Typically a Spectrum cable modem will be coax on the "street" end and built in wireless and a single ethernet port.

You plug in that port to your router's WAN ethernet port or just use their crappy wireless.

Don't over think it, any modern router (or even a 15 year old one) will have a port you can use with your new Spectrum set up.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By BrentMG:

I have a router, but from my understanding it has to be plugged into the modem.  The modem has one Ethernet por, which the router is plugged into. I have wifi/internet in the house my problem is I am not fond of the location. When I had the previous provider I had everything on top of my cabinets in my kitchen, out of sight out of mind. The coax locations in my house aren't ideal. I currently have it set up in a spare bedroom that I'm using as a movie room. It isn't too big of an issue because I don't have my TV in yet but when I do, I will have it, receiver Xbox and sub plugged into the outlet nearby. Right now I have the modem, router and my Arlo hub plugged into it. I have a mesh setup which isn't plugged in but that will take up real estate too once I start using it too.
View Quote
You can leave the modem where they put it and run a long ethernet cable to where you want your router to be.

Or, bat your eyes and be nice to the cable guy and see what they can do. I've had them drill through walls and run cables along the outside of the house before just by being nice. (And I am a fat, hairy dude.)
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:49:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#8]

The CenturyLink modem was plugged into this connection CAT 5E.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/374638/1000025563_jpg-3152290.JPG
View Quote

That is very interesting...

I would be shocked if that's the line spectrum is using.

Have they already visited your house to "install" the internet?

If it is, then all you need is a standard router, one end to that box and the other end into the router. You may have to call to give them a Mac address or something.

Most standard installs have coax > modem > router. Spectrum has an all in one modem/router though that they typically issue. So then it's coax into modem/router combo and you bet your wireless, Ethernet ports, etc all from that combo box.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:57:57 PM EDT
[#9]

That is very interesting...

I would be shocked if that's the line spectrum is using.

Have they already visited your house to "install" the internet?

If it is, then all you need is a standard router, one end to that box and the other end into the router. You may have to call to give them a Mac address or something.

Most standard installs have coax > modem > router. Spectrum has an all in one modem/router though that they typically issue. So then it's coax into modem/router combo and you bet your wireless, Ethernet ports, etc all from that combo box.
View Quote

They didn't install it, just had the modem sent in the mail. That is the line though CenturyLink installed it in. Went straight to it when I had them install when I moved in.  I'll give that a shot
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By RR_Broccoli:
Typically a Spectrum cable modem will be coax on the "street" end and built in wireless and a single ethernet port.

You plug in that port to your router's WAN ethernet port or just use their crappy wireless.

Don't over think it, any modern router (or even a 15 year old one) will have a port you can use with your new Spectrum set up.
View Quote

Thanks, I'll look into this.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:12:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#11]

They didn't install it, just had the modem sent in the mail. That is the line though CenturyLink installed it in. Went straight to it when I had them install when I moved in.  I'll give that a shot
View Quote

I'm wondering if they have the cat5e wired as a telephone line... Century Link is telephone line, not Ethernet to my knowledge. You can use 4 of the wires from cat5 cable to make it a phone line, I'm wondering if that's what they did.

One fool proof way to be sure is take the wall plate off and see if there are 4 wires going into the keystone jack or if all 8 are going in there.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#12]

I'm wondering if they have the cat5e wired as a telephone line... Century Link is telephone line, not Ethernet to my knowledge.
View Quote

Almost certainly this.

CenturyLink / Lumen / Brightspeed provides DSL. They have zero coax outside plant that I am aware of.

It isn't completely unheard of to see RJ45 used for POTS. Just because the jack is labeled CAT5e doesn't actually mean anything.
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#13]
My aunt has DSL coming into her house.  The installer used RJ45 jacks and connectors
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top