Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2020 6:44:15 PM EDT
I was very interested in rockets for a couple years as a kid, but we had no good place to launch them.

Recently I found a couple kits at yard sales and launched them with my 2.5 yo today and I see myself getting back into these.

Where is the best place to get motors at a reasonable price? Everything I've seen is around $3/piece

Looking for A/B/C class.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was very interested in rockets for a couple years as a kid, but we had no good place to launch them.

Recently I found a couple kits at yard sales and launched them with my 2.5 yo today and I see myself getting back into these.

Where is the best place to get motors at a reasonable price? Everything I've seen is around $3/piece

Looking for A/B/C class.
View Quote

Ouch! I remember when it was 3$ for a pack. Do you have a hobby lobby local to you? That is where I have bought in the past. Not sure on price.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#2]
acsupply has the cheapest rocket motors
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:27:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I have got into this hobby again ! It is fun ! With a 5 year old !

Here is a picture of my 5 year old Grandson with his Quix , who's parachute did not open ! Ground nailed !

We moved up to a Baby Bertha it is much better ,
find a good hobby shop .

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#4]
What for Michaels to have a 40% or 50% of of 1 item and then go pick up a package.
Normally you and your wife can both take a coupon in so you get two packages at that discount.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hntr59:
What for Michaels to have a 40% or 50% of of 1 item and then go pick up a package.
Normally you and your wife can both take a coupon in so you get two packages at that discount.
View Quote

This.

Also I find Hobby Lobby has a better selection of rocket motors, some even stock the larger sizes of 24mm black powder E and F motors, and a few composite motors. Same coupon saves you 40-50% on a single item.

A few years ago I encouraged my wife to visit the craft store more so I could get motors. Ended up costing me more than I saved on the 40% coupon though...
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By GUMPchk:

This. 

Also I find Hobby Lobby has a better selection of rocket motors, some even stock the larger sizes of 24mm black powder E and F motors, and a few composite motors. Same coupon saves you 40-50% on a single item. 

A few years ago I encouraged my wife to visit the craft store more so I could get motors. Ended up costing me more than I saved on the 40% coupon though...
View Quote

LOL.  Yes, my wife prefers Hobby Lobby to Michaels.  It might have to turn into family trips...  She can get her beads/yarn, and I'll pick up motors.  Think they would let a 3 yo make a purchase to use another coupon?  
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Just an FYI, Hobby Lobby has restructured their pricing model of rocketry supplies.  They now offer "every day low prices" that don't qualify for the 40% off coupon.

For online shopping, I like to use Hobbylinc.com , and AC Supply.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Bull-Moose:
Just an FYI, Hobby Lobby has restructured their pricing model of rocketry supplies.  They now offer "every day low prices" that don't qualify for the 40% off coupon.

For online shopping, I like to use Hobbylinc.com , and AC Supply.
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:10:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I get all my stuff at Hobby Lobby, but if I launched more often I would get wadding off Amazon.  You get more paper for your buck there.  

Link Posted: 5/21/2020 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#10]
used to shoot these off in the yard all the time. Now that I'm a grown up, I want to build a fake looking rocket launcher/bazooka and fire these around the neighborhood. Worth it?
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#11]
You can buy tubes and nose cones and design miniature bazooka rackets so the fins don't protrude any further out than the
rockets larger dia .

Pvc pipe some radiator clamps . Rig firing control on the tube . You will be the two legged terror on your block .
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
used to shoot these off in the yard all the time. Now that I'm a grown up, I want to build a fake looking rocket launcher/bazooka and fire these around the neighborhood. Worth it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
You can buy tubes and nose cones and design miniature bazooka rackets so the fins don't protrude any further out than the
rockets larger dia .

Pvc pipe some radiator clamps . Rig firing control on the tube . You will be the two legged terror on your block .

I am definitely planning on something like this in the future.  I need a place to try them which I don't have right now.

My thought for fins was to use 2L soda bottle material so they wrap tightly around the tube, and expand after leaving the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:02:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
rockets larger dia .

View Quote

you think it would be worth it to build rockets to put the motors in or just glue fins and shit to the engines themselves? I would consider them disposable anyway...
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:04:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I am definitely planning on something like this in the future.  I need a place to try them which I don't have right now.

My thought for fins was to use 2L soda bottle material so they wrap tightly around the tube, and expand after leaving the barrel.
View Quote

@TribunusSanGeorgii I like that idea... Im trying to figure out if it's worth it to use a guide rod inside the PVC to launch them straight or just make like a sabot for them...
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:35:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Just like everything else, the rocket kits were so much funnier and better quality when they were made in USA.  Now days these chinese made rocket kits are cheap relics of the past.  Probably still a lot of fun for parents & kids alike, just not the same for me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:46:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I've found good prices on ebay for motors.

Personally, I'm fond of launching them skyrocket style. Just get a 1/4" dowel rod, ~24" long, and glue it to the C rocket engine. Light with a bit of cannon fuse.

All the fun of a rocket launch, with no need to chase down a rocket for recovery. And way higher altitudes then any firework grade skyrocket.

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#17]
@TribunusSanGeorgii
Here's a site on amateur rocketry.
This guy has done a ton of research and is building some BIG rockets.
There's a whole section on building your own motors.
I put this in a link further down on the hobby page but thought I'd drop it here as well.
Read, watch vids and enjoy..
http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/

Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:19:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
@TribunusSanGeorgii
Here's a site on amateur rocketry.
This guy has done a ton of research and is building some BIG rockets.
There's a whole section on building your own motors.
I put this in a link further down on the hobby page but thought I'd drop it here as well.
Read, watch vids and enjoy..
http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/

View Quote

Thanks!  Looks like some great reading, and some fun projects for when the boys get older.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#19]
The local mom and pop hobby shop near me closed a couple of years ago.  Rockets and rocket engines were their specialty.  They supplied the N rockets for a local rocket club to launch a porta john.

The Throne Thrusters Porta Potty Launch 12-6-2014
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Amazon

Hobby Lobby and use their weekly 40% off coupon.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 1:07:28 AM EDT
[#21]
acsupply.com has the best prices around. Their estes kits are the cheapest also. I build a lot of mid and low power rockets. They’re the best for anything Estes
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 1:29:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Estes engines also make great Skyrockets, which is a fun alternative to model rockets.

All you need is a length of 1/4" dowel rod, glued to the side of the estes rocket motor. The length of the rod should be such that the completed engine+stick combo balances right at the base of the Estes engine. This is ~24-30" of stick.

They're launched just like a firework rocket; place the stick in a large bottle or traffic safety cone, with a length of cannon fuse in the rocket nozzle.

You can also attach mortar shells to the head of the estes motor, rigged to ignite from the ejection charge.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 8:36:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Tag to follow along...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top