Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2021 9:51:37 AM EDT
Ok. So I have a few posts in the “WTB:” section.  About a week ago, a guy texts me saying he’s got a foxpro x24 (exactly what I was looking for).  We talk through text for a while. I ask my normal EE questions.  Why you’re selling, when you bought it, any damage?”  He shows me pictures of a plaque, hanging on the wall. With about 40 fire fighter awards and patches.  Claims these are his credentials.  Said his daughter was sick.  Only accepted Google pay or Zelle. I don’t have those. And told him I didn’t feel comfortable jumping through the hoops that google out wants (ss card scanned, drivers license scanned). I told him I didn’t want to send my info to china just yet.  This should have been my first sign, he didn’t laugh or acknowledge that’s statement.  He texts me, says his son set up a PayPal. I sent over the money.

Couple days later, I get a text replying to another one of my “WTB” ads.  I immediately felt sick to my stomach because I now know, the e caller is probably a scammer.  So I go along with it. This mother ******** says “my credentials: and shares the same picture of the same fire fighter badges.  So I called him out, he says “oh seems you must be texting me on my other line”

The other item was a 22lr conversion kit. The one he had for sale, It came with extra parts from borebuddy. I actually already bought a conversion kit, and some products from bore buddy to improve my kit. This individual was very knowledgeable on the extra parts from bore buddy and never put off a scammer vibe.

Where I missed up: sent the $400 for the caller per PAYPAL FRIEND AND FAMILY.

He has lowered the price of the kit to $150.

(TLDR)

My question for the legal section gurus.  If I send the $150 over through PayPal goods and services, pay the fees, and then have a slight chance in hell of catching these dudes!!!  

Or am I just out $400.  And don’t even mess with the $150?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 10:00:48 AM EDT
[#1]
PayPal is anti anything gun so you’re screwed. Chalk it up to a lesson learn and stop posting WTB adds.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 10:00:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Your money is gone, and is likely in the pocket of some guy in Cameroon.   There’s a slight chance you can get his PayPal shut down if you report, and an additional minuscule chance you’ll get the money back if you sent in the last 24 hours, but you’ll risk losing your account as well.  Don’t send any more money.

In the future, don’t use your phone number on a public forum and advertise that you want to spend money.  Send it after an established user sends you an IM where you can verify feedback or at least tenure as a member here.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#3]
How long ago was the first deal? How do you know you even got scammed yet? Has enough time passed that you know for sure you won't be receiving the item? Any follow up conversation after the first order?

Was this guy a user here? What's his ee score?

ETA: if you're sure enough this is a scam being perpetrated on users here, at least post up the picture of his "credentials."
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Any monies sent via Friends and Family is gone and there is zero chance of getting it back.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 10:10:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Your screwed. Youy first clue should have been when he sent you firefighter bullshit as proof he was honest.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Report his username please.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#7]
New to the internet huh ?
Phone conversations, pics with items and something dated.
No automatic free money.
WTB ads are magnets for scammers.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ok. So I have a few posts in the “WTB:” section.  About a week ago, a guy texts me saying he’s got a foxpro x24 (exactly what I was looking for).  We talk through text for a while. I ask my normal EE questions.  Why you’re selling, when you bought it, any damage?”  He shows me pictures of a plaque, hanging on the wall. With about 40 fire fighter awards and patches.  Claims these are his credentials.  Said his daughter was sick.  Only accepted Google pay or Zelle. I don’t have those. And told him I didn’t feel comfortable jumping through the hoops that google out wants (ss card scanned, drivers license scanned). I told him I didn’t want to send my info to china just yet.  This should have been my first sign, he didn’t laugh or acknowledge that’s statement.  He texts me, says his son set up a PayPal. I sent over the money.

Couple days later, I get a text replying to another one of my “WTB” ads.  I immediately felt sick to my stomach because I now know, the e caller is probably a scammer.  So I go along with it. This mother ******** says “my credentials: and shares the same picture of the same fire fighter badges.  So I called him out, he says “oh seems you must be texting me on my other line”

The other item was a 22lr conversion kit. The one he had for sale, It came with extra parts from borebuddy. I actually already bought a conversion kit, and some products from bore buddy to improve my kit. This individual was very knowledgeable on the extra parts from bore buddy and never put off a scammer vibe.

Where I missed up: sent the $400 for the caller per PAYPAL FRIEND AND FAMILY.

He has lowered the price of the kit to $150.

(TLDR)

My question for the legal section gurus.  If I send the $150 over through PayPal goods and services, pay the fees, and then have a slight chance in hell of catching these dudes!!!  

Or am I just out $400.  And don’t even mess with the $150?

Thanks.
View Quote

Name?
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Make a thread in the feedback section so others will be aware as well.

Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any monies sent via Friends and Family is gone and there is zero chance of getting it back.
View Quote

I understand that.

But, if I can get him to make another deal. And I pay using the goods and services. Will I have a chance at shutting his account down?  Or is that not how goods and services works?
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I understand that.

But, if I can get him to make another deal. And I pay using the goods and services. Will I have a chance at shutting his account down?  Or is that not how goods and services works?
View Quote

If you think that a scammer will give up his scamming just because a paypal account was locked, you may be the type of person that gets scammed in the first place.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#12]
stop throwing good money after bad.

cut your losses.

i had a soldier that got caught in the same trap and by the time i found out about it, he had sent double the amount he initially lost because he kept thinking there might be an "in".

But there isn't. It's gone. Walk away and count it as an expensive lesson.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If you think that a scammer will give up his scamming just because a paypal account was locked, you may be the type of person that gets scammed in the first place.
View Quote

You must not be able to read. It’s ok.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:27:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I’m an EE mod. Our WTB ads are constantly targeted by scammers.

Please don’t send them anymore money. Only deal with accounts with good feedback and/or pay with reversible payment methods.
View Quote

Thanks for the advice. And answering my question. The point of my post.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I understand that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand that.

Sounds like a good plan!
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Are you going to tell us this guys username?
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:08:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Never has to provide Google pay my ID or SS card ..
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:11:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sounds like a good plan!
View Quote

Lol. My bad I just never used goods and services so I didn’t know how it worked.

I’m just pissed that I fucked up.  Trying to save $50-100 and lost $400.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Report his username please.
View Quote

There is none.  OP put his cell # in the ad which is visible to scammers.

Never pay F&F, Zelle, Venmo, Google Pay, or any other method that does not provide buyer protection.

Never send money to a seller if you've posted a WTB ad unless you are contacted using the web site's IM system.

Now, if you truly want to mess with the dude and you don't care if you lock up your own PP account, send him $1 with trigger words in the description (e.g. 9mm pistol ammunition) so that PP auto-clobbers both accounts.  Just de-link your own bank account first.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Now, if you truly want to mess with the dude and you don't care if you lock up your own PP account, send him $1 with trigger words in the description (e.g. 9mm pistol ammunition) so that PP auto-clobbers both accounts.  Just de-link your own bank account first.
View Quote

This is actually a good idea. PayPal will permaban him asap. BTDT, they even permabanned my wife when they discovered we live in the same household. All bc I sold some ammo on gunbroker and some dimwit put the auction number in the comments for his paypal.

If you do it quickly he will lose the money in his account as well; sometimes they confiscate the money in the account when they shut them down for violations.

I would setup a burner PayPal for this.

You also need to report the theft to paypal even though you did F&F. There is a chance PayPal could distribute any confiscated funds to those that were scammed. Be on that list before you do the dirty deed to shut him down. It's a very, very slim chance but it's about the only chance of getting any money back.

Link Posted: 12/29/2021 11:56:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This is actually a good idea. PayPal will permaban him asap. BTDT, they even permabanned my wife when they discovered we live in the same household. All bc I sold some ammo on gunbroker and some dimwit put the auction number in the comments for his paypal.

If you do it quickly he will lose the money in his account as well; sometimes they confiscate the money in the account when they shut them down for violations.

I would setup a burner PayPal for this.

You also need to report the theft to paypal even though you did F&F. There is a chance PayPal could distribute any confiscated funds to those that were scammed. Be on that list before you do the dirty deed to shut him down. It's a very, very slim chance but it's about the only chance of getting any money back.

View Quote

I reported him.

Tempting to make a burner PayPal and fuxk with him.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 11:11:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Your money is gone, and is likely in the pocket of some guy in Cameroon.   There’s a slight chance you can get his PayPal shut down if you report, and an additional minuscule chance you’ll get the money back if you sent in the last 24 hours, but you’ll risk losing your account as well.  Don’t send any more money.

In the future, don’t use your phone number on a public forum and advertise that you want to spend money.  Send it after an established user sends you an IM where you can verify feedback or at least tenure as a member here.
View Quote

I screwed up plain and simple. But the strangest thing was how much he knew about foxpros warranty. The other ad was the conversion kit and he knew a lot about it. Maybe a crook that is just good at googling Shit I guess…..:pisses me off. Lol.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Look at the bright side, you didn't agree to meet up in a Walmart parking lot at 2 AM.
Seriously, red flags galore there -
Picture of awards a credentials
Sick (fill in the blank) so needs money
Payment using non refundable methods
Price low enough to encourage excitement but not low enough to scream SCAM

Look at as the equivalent of you backing into something and doing $400 worth of damage, mistake made and lesson learned.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 4:49:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Alittle late, but it would depend on your funding source from paypal.

If you used a card to fund the transaction, you can still do a chargeback.

If you used a bank account, you could have emptied the bank account or went to your bank and told them not to approve the transaction.

Paypal would then open a case over it and they would remove the funds from their account.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top