Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2021 6:30:21 AM EDT
Wife is thinking about getting a new dog. Our dog exposure is basically labs and hounds. She wants some fru-fru cuddly abomination but I told her my terms are it be a sporting dog and be useful. Tried to steer her toward a GSP, but she thinks those and most other spaniels are “ugly”. So the best compromise we have found thus far is an English Cocker Spaniel. I’ve never had one or hunted with one so I’m down to hear personal experience. What type of hunters are they? Bird wise I mostly grouse hunt.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 6:34:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I have 1 English and 2 American. They are inside dogs never hunted. They are very curious of birds though so I would guess they can be quite the hunter.  Should train easily.  They are very affectionate dogs.  Mine English weighs in at 28lbs.  Not very large.  Our next will be a brittany probably just to go up a size
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 6:39:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm trying to remember this correctly, but I remember English Cocker spaniels being fairly popular in Michigan to hunt ruffed grouse and Woodcock. The field bred variety though. Something about their small size allowed them to be able to get through heavy wooded areas other dogs couldn't go.

My ex Vietnamese girlfriend had the same compromise, she wanted a king Charles spaniel. We decided to break up.

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 9:22:00 AM EDT
[#3]
They seem to be nice little dogs, came across two of them while out hiking with my 18 month Lab last week.
I talked to the owner for a few minutes and my Lab and the Spaniel's just wanted to play, I keep my Lab away from them because he is over 80 lbs now and can play a little rough with smaller dogs.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#4]
American Water Spaniel
affectionate
sporty
good companions
will alert on strangers
great swimmers
good bird dogs
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 9:34:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Ever look into a Brittany spaniel?
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:00:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Great dogs, but ear and skin issues are common. Not a carefree animal, need brushing and grooming or they matte but they have tons of personality and are very sweet as a general rule.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:20:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Friends mom had one.  In the 10 years that thing was alive not a single day went by that his ears weren't infected.  Shaking his head would cause a room to clear.  Dumb as a stump as well.

Don't consider a Brittany unless you like high energy dogs.  Every one I've had was NUTS!
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 10:28:21 AM EDT
[#9]
What about a Vizsla OP? Or Llewellyn Setter, since other spaniels and pointers are out?

But this is a field bred cocker spaniel, you'll notice their ears aren't as long and not as much feathering. These videos have some visual representation of their energy and range. Notice these are working dogs, they aren't like regular cocker spaniels.

5 min
Explosive!! English Cocker Spaniels Training on Pheasants with Tom Ness

8 min
Field Bred English Springer Spaniel

4min
Pond Plantation - Oakley: an English Cocker Spaniel bird dog
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

She claims them to be ugly as well....
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welsh Springer Spaniel may be more y'alls style then.  Similar to a brittany but better looking
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:54:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I had one that was great for rabbit, quail, pheasant - upland game basically.  Used her for everything I'd use a Springer for except waterfowl.

Fun little dogs, trainable but also excitable but not insane balls of energy like most wire haired and long-haired pointers are.

Edit: they are known for heart issues if the genetic line is a bit too tight, and it tends to manifest around 4-5 years old or so. Right when the dog is good and trained and calm enough to always listen
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:56:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? I know lots of people keep their hair longer and wavy, but I keep mine trimmed, especially during the summer and hunting season. Easy to see ticks, dry faster, and easier to see injuries.

Attachment Attached File

They are definitely a high energy breed, and do require mental and physical workouts.  They are very impressive hunting dogs, and that is coming from someone who spends weeks at a time hunting ducks, grouse, pheasants and pretty much anything else that flies.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#14]
If you want a bigger Cocker, get a Springer Spaniel.

If you want an even bigger dog, get a Setter.

Dont get mad at them, they are very emotional.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top