Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2022 7:21:49 PM EDT
So after following the Walmart clearance thread, I got my hands on a budget optic. Now I need something equally budget to put it on. And I need a new hobby. So, I’ve been eyeballing the FGC9, and Ender3’s. Has anyone done this build using the ender?

I also have a bunch of other small project ideas like control switch boxes for jet ski handlebars. But the FGC would probably be the largest print

how to send photos without losing quality whatsapp
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you already have an Ender?

Getting an Ender is like playing craps. You could waste your money, or you could get an excellent machine. But it's a crap shoot.

My friend has one. His prints nearly perfectly. Very good quality prints. I bought one, and mine is not nearly the machine his is. We can take identical GCODE files and come out with wildly different results in terms of print quality.

That said...maybe it can. Maybe it will give you a headache.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Agreed with Obsessed.  I've gotten pretty good prints on my E3 Pro, and I've done quite a few upgrades/modifications that it didn't really need.

That said... In response to your question - Yes, the FGC-9 and most of the 3D2A designed are created with the Ender3 in mind.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:12:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Getting an Ender is like playing craps. You could waste your money, or you could get an excellent machine. But it's a crap shoot.

My friend has one. His prints nearly perfectly. Very good quality prints. I bought one, and mine is not nearly the machine his is. We can take identical GCODE files and come out with wildly different results in terms of print quality.

View Quote

I don’t have any printer yet. I’m just attracted to the price point
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 7:43:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Just do it. There is nothing that you can’t fix if your prints aren’t working. I have a couple. They are great. Plus you will learn the machine and process.

ETA: yes you can print an FGC and basically ANY other fun file you want.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 9:48:40 AM EDT
[#5]
An ender 3 will print an FGC just fine. Definitely take the time to print other things first and learn what it means to have everything dialed in.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 5:09:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bought a used one and it prints perfectly.  You can tell it was used and must have been calibrated by previous owner.
Try calibration.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#7]
would agree. mine has printed perfectly out of the box. when it fails it's because i screwed something on the bed or feed.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Same as the others above.  I have added a few upgrades, though they hardly seem to make a difference.  I'll buy another ender 3 v2 soon.  I'm in the early stages of an FGC9 mkII.  By that, I mean I have nearly everything printed and fitted, I even have a few spares, but no hard parts yet.  Only about 2 maybe 3 years in, but I'm pretty happy with my ender.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Fgc9 has printed and also non printed parts which must be made.  There is a version 2 and a version 3 out there.  Version2 is easier to make but regardless fgc9 wouldnt be my first choice for a novice 3d printed gun.  Easier options include glock and ar15
Then maybe moce on to the really hard stuff
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Similar boat as OP.
After my 3rd resin printed G26 frame has failed I decided to go ahead and get a used Ender 3 ($139 on ebay) so I can make them stronger. It should be here by next Wednesday. I'm super interested in the new almost-completely-printed AR project by Hoffman Tactical and can't wait for those files to get out there.

In the meantime I reworked the G26 frame to stiffen it at the weak point (around the slide/barrel lock) and am going to give the resin one more whirl.

OP- FWIW the Glock frames are super easy to print, at least in resin, and I can't imagine they are harder to make in FDM.
Link Posted: 10/27/2022 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#11]
The Glock frames aren't hard in FDM. The biggest debate is rails up or rails down, then of course cleaning off supports.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I use a Anycubic Vyper, it was flawless right out of the box. Then I tinkered with it and fucked it up. I bought replacement parts, and tinkered with them before installing and it was still fucked up. So I bought more replacement parts and installed them as-is and it once again prints flawless.

For me the moral of the story is, I want it to work out of the box. Having to tinker with your printer to get it to work is not fun, its frustrating. If it were me I'd upgrade from the Ender3. Hell, do the Ender5 if you want to stay in the Creality line. But I wouldnt risk the headaches by rolling the dice on a budget printer. Which isnt to say a higher end one wont need some tinkering but I think the chance is quite a bit lower......
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#13]
If you want printer headaches then build a Voron. I’ve been messing with mine for 10 months and have yet to print anything.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 12:04:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Fgc9 has printed and also non printed parts which must be made.  There is a version 2 and a version 3 out there.  Version2 is easier to make but regardless fgc9 wouldnt be my first choice for a novice 3d printed gun.  Easier options include glock and ar15
View Quote

I think it depends on how handy you are, really. FGC-9 was my first printed gun, but I'd been printing for a long time before that, and there were a lot fewer options for printable guns when the FGC-9 was released. Drilling the firing pin hole in the bolt would definitely be frustrating if you hadn't done much metal work.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 12:13:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought a ender 3 pro. printed excellent. so I fucked with it and upgraded everything. now it doesnt print that great.
Link Posted: 11/8/2022 12:42:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The Glock frames aren't hard in FDM. The biggest debate is rails up or rails down, then of course cleaning off supports.
View Quote

It's a trick question.

The answer is...

Everything prints better at an angle
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 1:26:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's a trick question.

The answer is...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a trick question.

The answer is...

And with quality DRY filament... An enclosure to maintain heat is a cheap investment and helps with stinky materials
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 3:21:15 AM EDT
[#18]
I have 2 enders. The key is in the assembly. I took nearly 3hrs to assemble each of mine. I used a machinists square and tightened things in patterns like a cylinder head. Build it square and get that jack screw straight and it will do a good job.
Link Posted: 11/12/2022 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agree on the glock and AR.  Those after a Harlot were awesome prints.  Was able to do them all on the first try and while I have yet to fire any of them, they seem to be of decent build quality.

The FGC9 on the other hand is a totally different animal.  I'd love to be wrong but I don't think you can click/print a handful of parts and throw $300 or so at PSA, AIM, etc and have a fully functioning gun.  More customization, cost, and tinkering from what I've seen.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#20]
FGC9 was my only and first gun.
Printed great.  My only suggestion is to not buy the barrel like I did.  My head space is tight and I really have no way to adjust it like you would with the home made barrel.
So it sits for now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top