Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2023 10:41:07 AM EDT
Looking for a few items of enameled cast iron for my wife as she's made mention of wanting some to go w/ our dutch oven (not sure of brand). Wouldn't mind a broiler, some stock pots, etc.  

Le Creuset seems to be the standard, but holy fuck are they proud of it. Are there any good alternatives that give 90-95% the performance at 50% (or less) the cost?
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Staub dutch oven, similar to Le Creuset.
Bought it on sale a few years back, but I think retail price is comparable with Le C.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
The cheaper versions generally don't last as long.

Le Creuset does have a lifetime warranty also, even if you break it.

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Le Creuset seems to always get recommended here; I don't own any so I can't speak to the quality.  I've been happy with the enamel Lodge we have.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I have some very nice pieces from Le Creuset and Staub as well as some pieces of yard sale no-name enameled cast-iron as well.  For most cooking the lower price stuff is just fine but when you are doing something really special and want very even cooking the pieces from the higher end companies won’t let you down. Here is my favorite Dutch oven. For reference this is a 14 pound turkey.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 10:30:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I have staub and le creuset. I prefer the finish on the inside of the staub better. Check hoomgoods, tjmaxx, and Marshall's the were sell some pieces the last few weeks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 8:41:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m a big fan of Staub also. Never pay full price for any of their pieces. They are regularly deeply discounted. Just last week Williams Sonoma had a lot of Staub items 50-60% off.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Just went to the Le Creuset outlet store and everything was 30% off...
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 3:41:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Le Creuset is worth it. Yes, stupid expensive. But in cooking you get what you pay for and it'll be well worth your money. I'm a housewife who is VERY frugal but also cooks every meal from scratch and so something trustworthy and easy to clean is necessary. The one Le Creuset I own is the gold standard and I use it every single day. I'd recommended getting one that's multi purpose so the money least feels worth it and can be a daily use item. I have the 6 qt Dutch oven with lid that doubles as a deep fry pan. I have other enameled cast iron of lesser name brands and the ceramic coating is flaking off. Not so with the Le Creuset. The other name brands are still expensive, so by the time you buy two of those you're at a Le Creuset but this will last you a lifetime if you care for it properly.

Link Posted: 12/23/2023 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I have both Le Creuset and Staub and both are fantastic long term cooking utensils.

5 qt, Round, Tall Cocotte, Black Matte Staub $149.99
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 4:12:44 PM EDT
[#10]
My Le Creuset Dutch Oven is my single favorite piece of cookware. That thing is bombproof.

I do have one of the older Lodge Chinese dutch ovens and it is decent for what I paid for it. They have very recently started making some enameled cast iron items in the USA. They are pretty pricey, but I am sure that they are much nicer than the Chinese made ones.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 11:42:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack19] [#11]
Save yourself a boat load of money and drive over to Costco to see what they have on the shelf.

Your food will taste no different than if cooked in a $300  $400 dutch oven.

Trust me on this.

Or, this one is the highest rated by Consumer Reports, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WXVHDXY?tag=dprmdexhgli-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&asc_source=CRO&asc_campaign=dprmdexhgli-20&asc_refurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.consumerreports.org%2Fhome-garden%2Fcookware%2Fspice-by-tia-mowry-savory-saffron-enameled-cast-iron%2Fm407665%2F
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a lodge enameled dutch oven. I've cooked the exact same recipe in it and a la cruset and you literally couldn't tell the difference. My SIL law cruset, for reference and the meal was short ribs. She liked my recipe so  much in a visit, I had to teach her in hers.

Save 300 bucks here!!

Link Posted: 12/27/2023 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Staub.  
I have LaC and Staub.  
Staub is easier to keep clean.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Very surprisingly for Christmas, my wife got me a 2-3/4 qt pot and a 11-3/4" skillet while my daughter got me a tiny little dutch oven that I'm using for my salt and my mom got me the Every Day pan.  All in the orange color.  Very pleased w/ such a start to the collection!
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 2:04:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Paulie771:
Very surprisingly for Christmas, my wife got me a 2-3/4 qt pot and a 11-3/4" skillet while my daughter got me a tiny little dutch oven that I'm using for my salt and my mom got me the Every Day pan.  All in the orange color.  Very pleased w/ such a start to the collection!
View Quote

Nice

I bought myself a ~$50 Tramontina one on Amazon (it had good reviews). I am just too poor to pay $500 for a pot. It just arrived the other day, and I haven't even used it yet. It looks good, but I can't comment on quality or function yet.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:08:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I found a Lodge enameled Dutch oven ($50-60) last year and have been happy with it.  I can burn food in it just as adequately as a $300 LC one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top