Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2019 10:17:14 PM EDT
Power come to my house from the pole to my electrical meter. From the meter it goes to my main house panel. From there you run wire to subpanel in an out buildings or whatever. Why couldn't you just run a second set of wires directly from the meter to a main panel in an out building? So, 2 main panels running from one meter.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to follow the National Eletrit Code.

That's what Eletritians use.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:21:07 PM EDT
[#2]
You could do this if you installed a separate disconnect switch at the meter location for each panel being fed. 6 is the maximum number of disconnects that would be allowed in this configuration.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
And what does the electrical say about my idea?
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:24:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You could do this if you installed a separate disconnect switch at the meter location for each panel being fed. 6 is the maximum number of disconnects that would be allowed in this configuration.
View Quote
Thanks. So could both panels be 200 amp? Would I have to change wire from pole to meter?
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Pass teh popcorn. This thread has potential.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:25:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks. So could both panels be 200 amp? Would I have to change wire from pole to meter?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You'd have to climb up the pole and measure the wire first.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#9]
You could if the load side lugs on the meter are listed to have multiple conductors , the line side conductors and meter socket are rated for the calculated load, the conductors to your other building are treated as service and does not enter your primary building. The other building needs to have its own grounding electrode system etc.
To do two 200’s you’d need a 320 meter base and sufficient line side conductors.
Check with your local electrical inspector as local codes often modify the model code.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:38:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:47:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wise ass.

You guys are jealous because you didn't have this brain storm.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:48:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You could if the load side lugs on the meter are listed to have multiple conductors , the line side conductors and meter socket are rated for the calculated load, the conductors to your other building are treated as service and does not enter your primary building. The other building needs to have its own grounding electrode system etc.
To do two 200’s you’d need a 320 meter base and sufficient line side conductors.
Check with your local electrical inspector as local codes often modify the model code.
View Quote
Thanks, I'm not planning on doing it but just curious.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wise ass.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wise ass.

I'd post a picture of the three different services coming off my pole, but it's dark out.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:50:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Your service entry will only support 200A of load, regardless of how many 200 amp panels you put on it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#15]
sub pannnells
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:53:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:02:09 PM EDT
[#17]
If you fed two panels from the same meter without a breaker you could electrocute someone on one of the services if it was turned off, but the other was still on.

If the main panel was down and the "secondary" panel was hot, you could backfeed into the main panel if the secondary panel had a bad ground.  Basically your white wires on the main panel could go hot from the fault in the second panel, and you'd ground the system by touching any white connector off of the (theoretically disconnected) main panel.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:02:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:04:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Power come to my house from the pole to my electrical meter. From the meter it goes to my main house panel. From there you run wire to subpanel in an out buildings or whatever. Why couldn't you just run a second set of wires directly from the meter to a main panel in an out building? So, 2 main panels running from one meter.
View Quote
You *could*.   If you didn't care about breaking the law or setting things on fire.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:04:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Resist its current.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Resist its current.
Watt?
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:10:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Wise ass.

View Quote
Brain storm?
No.
Shit storm. Absolutely.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:13:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Your idea isn't new or ground breaking what so ever. It comes down to current equipment, logistics and cost. To run electricity to my shop it was easier to go from the main panel through the ceiling in the basement, out the foundation and under ground. Instead of ripping up asphalt to do what you're suggesting Your service from the street is only X amount of amps. I'm not sure im seeing a benefit here without a larger or an additional service
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:14:10 PM EDT
[#23]
The NEC allows the described installation as long as it follows local code and article 230 & 250 .
If it is installed correctly it is not dangerous under normal conditions. There’s always if’s and but’s but it is allowed.
Unless you know of a section in the nec that prohibits it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:14:47 PM EDT
[#24]
double tap
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:15:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Watt?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Resist its current.
Watt?
Stop with the puns!  It hertz!
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:21:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
double tap
View Quote
Literally
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:27:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:28:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I fed my shop from a new set of wires from my pole.  I ran the conduit with wire to my shop from the pole to the shop.  Then I had an electrician do the scary part.  He pulled the meter, pulled out my old panel box and installed a new, larger box that could handle the two feeds.  His part took two guys about two hours to do.  That, and all of the new parts, cost about $800 end of last year.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
I love this place!
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 11:37:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Op you probably save money if you just installed a service panel before your meter. Instead of after make sure you have a disconnect so no one gets hurt
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 12:01:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Your service entry will only support 200A of load, regardless of how many 200 amp panels you put on it.
View Quote
Doesn't that depend on the feeder size?
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:09:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You *could*.   If you didn't care about breaking the law or setting things on fire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldn't be breaking the law an electrician would be. No way I work on the meter. I was just curious if it was allowed in NEC
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Your idea isn't new or ground breaking what so ever. It comes down to current equipment, logistics and cost. To run electricity to my shop it was easier to go from the main panel through the ceiling in the basement, out the foundation and under ground. Instead of ripping up asphalt to do what you're suggesting Your service from the street is only X amount of amps. I'm not sure im seeing a benefit here without a larger or an additional service
View Quote
I didnt say it was ground breaking, unless that's how you interpret brain storming. Just curious if it was NEC says it's ok.

ETA Ok so maybe I implied it was a new idea but meant it was a new idea for me
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Shocking !
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 9:56:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Thank you!

I will be stealing this for use in all text communications with my distribution guys
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:02:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
A few volumes ago but:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Wise ass.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wise ass.

What would this achieve that a sub-panel fed from your existing service wouldn’t?...
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:49:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not completely true.   The amount supported would depend on the transformer and fuses.  The service entrance conductor can hold a lot depending on the weather outside!  . I’ve seen some amusing shit out in the sticks after thunder storms.  Sometimes the line guys will put whatever fuse they have on the truck in.  The fuse on the line would be what really limits your ability to melt some shit down!

As far as the OP’s question.  Most 200a meter bases are not set up for multiple conductor terminations.  Some 320’s are so you would need to upgrade that then put some disconnects under it.  At that point you might as well get the power company to upgrade you from a 200 to a 400a service.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:53:11 AM EDT
[#43]
No step on snek.

No touch meter.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Yesterday, I couldn't even spell "electrician".
Today, I is one.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#45]
The answer is yes with a caveat.

There are specific meters/devices for what you are trying to do.

So your contractor will likely have to purchase one.

Depending on the size of your current panel you may not have capacity for the additional load. However, it's likely you do have it so I wouldn't worry too much.

Call and electrician and have them do an estimate.

Based on pricing in my ao. You would be looking at 1000-1500 in materials alone. I couldn't speak to labor as I just sell to contractors I don't actually get my hands dirty.
Top Top