[#2]
Meh.  No fire no care.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Meh.  No fire no care.
View Quote

I'm not sure how this hasn't caught on fire yet.
Super pumped to dick around with this tomorrow
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seen worse......
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Wanna look at the mystery live knob and tube in my attic?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the neutral fused?

What am I looking at?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wanna look at the mystery live knob and tube in my attic?
View Quote

I've seen a lot of houses on the east side of Houston with two tubes sticking out for a service. (2 wire , 120 v service)
Sucks when you have to run a new drop to the house and try not to break off the #10 wire in the tube.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:24:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is the neutral fused?

What am I looking at?
View Quote

Probably some kind of 240 volt circuit using the white and black for hot legs.......
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#9]
30 amp fuses on 12 ga wire, no big.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've seen worse......
View Quote
I may or not have done worse.
Nobody has ever said it bad.
But maybe nobody ever saw it
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:27:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Time delay fusing, no less!
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Home we’re selling (just the property really..bulldozer coming) is part knob and tube with fabric covered wire.  Lots of weird outlets with no ground.  Two separate boxes.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#13]
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#14]
That looks like something you’d find on a farm in my area. Farmers are the world’s worst electricians.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:45:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#17]
It's a fusible disconnect. What is it for?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Totally normal to protect grounded conductors with OCPD...
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Shit man, that's not really bad for wiring of that vintage. I've seen much, much worse than that.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:50:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is the neutral fused?

What am I looking at?
View Quote

Yup, the neutral is fused.  
Single hot leg on the right fuse, Neutral on the left.  

4 circuits wire nutted to a single 12ga wire on both legs as well

Fun stuff
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:55:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Fun stuff
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is the neutral fused?

What am I looking at?

Fun stuff

You sure that's a neutral? Put a meter across the black and white and see what it reads........

ETA, not saying you're wrong, but don't assume anything on crap llke that......
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 9:07:02 PM EDT
[#23]
You do good work, OP.  What's your hourly rate?  
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 9:10:29 PM EDT
[#24]

LOl, I guess some scrapper  thought the power was off because of no meter!
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 9:10:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

My only involvement with that nightmare is living here. I'm planning on doing something about this... just not sure the level of effort I want to put in yet
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#26]
cloth cable i remember 1940s lol
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Replace those fuses with a couple of pennies and call it a day.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My only involvement with that nightmare is living here. I'm planning on doing something about this... just not sure the level of effort I want to put in yet
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, the good news is, it's old, been there a long time and hasn't burned you down yet. Keep the load the same as it's been and you're in like flint!
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Pretty brutal.  That white wire looks newer than the rest.  The old one previous one probably vaporized before the fuse completely went.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#30]
That is absolutely pristine compared to the panel I am cleaning up in my attic. Random wires jumpered to others. Some come from a breaker. Others enter the panel, connect to an existing wire, and then go out another wire. Most are connected with nothing but tape, and folded back into the panel. Luckily I am ripping out almost all of the circuits, so I can get rid of most of the spaghetti.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks OP, this makes my remodel dealing with aluminum wiring and shady previous modifications look like quality work.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#32]
and yet, nothing happened...weird... Its almost like code just changes to create work and justify wages...
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 11:21:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Well.  I did pull wires and test to verify that the white is neutral.  However, I'm now realizing that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" might be the best course of action here.
There is a single hot and single neutral coming from a sub-panel (also fused) that itself is fed from a 3-wire line from the main panel (2 hot one neutral)
Neither are properly grounded from what I can see.

That being said, I'd originally had the thought to replace this with a 4-breaker subpanel, even go the extra mile and run a second grounding rod for these guys, but now realizing that even with 4x 15a breakers I'd be allowing up to 60a on the single 12ga lines and.. well... I think its time to break the news to the homeowners that this is going to be WAY more costly than they want it to be.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Home we’re selling (just the property really..bulldozer coming) is part knob and tube with fabric covered wire.  Lots of weird outlets with no ground.  Two separate boxes.
View Quote

Pull out some of those knob and tubes. I had some that I wanted to try out for knife sharpening rods but I lost them.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Damn, what a mess, and I am not an electrician.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey those fuses are expensive.  Try to save them where you can.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#38]

I bet that individual looked like a stuck match when that party ended
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 5:45:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well.  I did pull wires and test to verify that the white is neutral.  However, I'm now realizing that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" might be the best course of action here.
There is a single hot and single neutral coming from a sub-panel (also fused) that itself is fed from a 3-wire line from the main panel (2 hot one neutral)

That being said, I'd originally had the thought to replace this with a 4-breaker subpanel, even go the extra mile and run a second grounding rod for these guys, but now realizing that even with 4x 15a breakers I'd be allowing up to 60a on the single 12ga lines and.. well... I think its time to break the news to the homeowners that this is going to be WAY more costly than they want it to be.
View Quote
i am definitely not an electrician, but i thought that subpanels were only supposed to be connected to ground via the main panel.  if you have two sources of ground, wouldn't it be possible to get a voltage difference between to points?
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depending on expected circuit use calculation, it should be fine to have those four lines come out with 15 amp breakers on them and have the feed for that subpanel use the 12 ga with a 20 amp fuse/breaker.  I don't know what the book says to calculate, so a 20 amp feed might not allow much room.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

My advice is to start at the meter and gut the electrical system and come back with current code. I find it to be the cheapest was in the long run.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Is the neutral fused?

What am I looking at?
View Quote

Yes in knob and tube they fused the neutral, do to the fact they ran the wires separately and you just kind of spliced in to the closest one.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#44]
It worked though didn't it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Seen worse, no roasted snek no care.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 6:30:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Brings me back to my childhood and the old farm house I grew up in.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top