Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/20/2021 8:40:34 PM EDT
What do you want to know? How your home's single phase service works? Why single phase motors sometimes need capacitors? Why GFCI's don't need a ground conductor?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#1]
How do you get the smoke back in?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

A question for the ages!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:45:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea. Well enough. Why?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:45:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Never let it out in the first place!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#5]
What is the formula for the inductance of a square coil, given the number of turns, length of the sides, and width of the coil?
Dimensions are to be in inches and inductance in microhenrys.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yea. Well enough. Why?
View Quote

Wye? 3 phase? Parallel connected?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:47:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Can I run a 440 volt 50 amp tool on my 220 volt 200 amp service?

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sure! For how long though is the question
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:49:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, what about if its already out? I got most of it trapped in a zip lock bag.

If you can put lightning in a jar, there should be a way to put the smoke back in.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What is the formula for the inductance of a square coil, given the number of turns, length of the sides, and width of the coil?
Dimensions are to be in inches and inductance in microhenrys.
View Quote

Single layer, multi-layer, Fe core?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

At a reduced rate!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What do you want to know? How your home's single phase service works? Why single phase motors sometimes need capacitors? Why GFCI's don't need a ground conductor?
View Quote

I’m in for grid/substation questions.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:53:50 PM EDT
[#13]
What happens during a brownout?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why are the walls and they grey box on the wall smoking?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What happens if a wavetrap explodes?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:57:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Funny you should ask.

We have local prepper friends who have bought into the notion that there's 'free' electricity floating around in the ground and if you just build the proper tools to extract it, you can power your house with 'free' energy.

You know, sort of like how as kids we lit up a lightbulb with a potato - but they have bought into the idea that you can do this on a household level. My wife was amazed by this (I wasn't there when it was discussed) and I had to explain to her that yes, there's often random bits of current that are 'grounded' into the earth, and once in a blue moon a water line picks up an induction current or something like that, but there's no free electricity just waiting for you to come along and mine it and convert it to some useable voltage/frequency or store it because the actual amount of current in the earth is infinitesimal. You'd have to have something like a transmission line in your yard to build an induction coil and pick up enough current to do anything useful, and you'd probably kill yourself in the process.

I, as a non-engineer who worked in the electric utility world for years, intuitively understand that this is absurd. But I don't know how to explain that to my wife. I'd also like to be able to explain the history of the various 'free energy' theories to my wife.

Wanna tackle any of that?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

What happens if a wavetrap explodes?
View Quote

Line communication gets fucked up due to frequency issues. Then I get a ton of OT to replace it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Funny you should ask.

We have local prepper friends who have bought into the notion that there's 'free' electricity floating around in the ground and if you just build the proper tools to extract it, you can power your house with 'free' energy.

You know, sort of like how as kids we lit up a lightbulb with a potato - but they have bought into the idea that you can do this on a household level. My wife was amazed by this (I wasn't there when it was discussed) and I had to explain to her that yes, there's often random bits of current that are 'grounded' into the earth, and once in a blue moon a water line picks up an induction current or something like that, but there's no free electricity just waiting for you to come along and mine it and convert it to some useable voltage/frequency or store it because the actual amount of current in the earth is infinitesimal. You'd have to have something like a transmission line in your yard to build an induction coil and pick up enough current to do anything useful, and you'd probably kill yourself in the process.

I, as a non-engineer who worked in the electric utility world for years, intuitively understand that this is absurd. But I don't know how to explain that to my wife. I'd also like to be able to explain the history of the various 'free energy' theories to my wife.

View Quote

Free electricty floating around in the ground is a ground fault. The POCO has the corner on that..........
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Funny you should ask.

View Quote

I honestly wouldn’t even know where to start dude. Maybe as her why she doesn’t get electrocuted if she walks barefoot on wet grass. Hell I don’t know.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I honestly wouldn’t even know where to start dude. Maybe as her why she doesn’t get electrocuted if she walks barefoot on wet grass. Hell I don’t know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Funny you should ask.

No voltage gradient?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Isn't an "electrical thread" really called a wire?  
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:14:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think I'm going to try to use the analogy of how you can stop sound by sticking a tuning fork into a rubber band. The rubber band might momentarily move or vibrate or something, but it's infinitesimal, momentary, and not practical to capture. Power diverted into the ground is sort of the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Isn't an "electrical thread" really called a wire?  
View Quote

you need two conductors to complete the circuit............
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:15:06 PM EDT
[#24]
How can I trust anything you say when you call 'wire' 'electrical thread'???
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:18:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think I'm going to try to use the analogy of how you can stop sound by sticking a tuning fork into a rubber band. The rubber band might momentarily move or vibrate or something, but it's infinitesimal, momentary, and not practical to capture. Power diverted into the ground is sort of the same thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Power, in the electrical service, emanates from the source (usually transformer) back to the source. The ground is an alternate path back to the source (transformer)
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No voltage gradient?
View Quote

It’s a thing but as you well know certainly not enough to power your home for free.
I honestly can’t even wrap my head around people believing that.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:22:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Power, in the electrical service, emnates from the source (usually transformer) back to the source. The ground is an alternate path back to the source (transformer)
View Quote

I get that. My wife probably does not.

I was hoping someone had heard this particular conspiracy theory (that there's energy you can tap into, of course Big Oil doesn't want you to know about it) and could help me explain to my wife that TANSTAAFL.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Know enough about residential and industrial. Used to test motor control centers.

Im interested in solar. I know the basics but not going to dive into it until I know all about it as the setup is expensive.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I get that. My wife probably does not.

I was hoping someone had heard this particular conspiracy theory (that there's energy you can tap into, of course Big Oil doesn't want you to know about it) and could help me explain to my wife that TANSTAAFL.
View Quote

Just wait until she learns of the dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide! http://dhmo.org/
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:32:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

You get called out
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:34:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You get called out
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get called out

Lol! Yes!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#32]
What happens to ERCOT?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Why did the master electrician who built the house I just bought use THHN in conduit instead of romex?  I just assume because he got the wire and conduit from work at a "discount"... But maybe there is a legit reason...
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Why did the master electrician who built the house I just bought use THHN in conduit instead of romex?  I just assume because he got the wire and conduit from work at a "discount"... But maybe there is a legit reason...
View Quote

I’m a substation electrician not residential but I don’t believe romex is supposed to be ran in conduit.

I may be wrong on that we don’t have to follow code.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:57:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ooh ooh!

Any clue where to find a manual for a circa 1955 MH-1 Pacific Electric breaker? Specifically the timing and measurements for the trip latch? My and my co-workers google fu is weak. All of our manuals have disappeared  
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not an electrician, just play one occasionally.

But THHN has like a 30% higher ampacity than romex . . . maybe that's why?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Your favorite way to find the nitrogen leak on a tub that went through 1200 PSI of bottle pressure in the last 30 days? Hot soapy water? Cause that’s where I’m going
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Will there be any longterm problems running a 3 phase motor using single phase 220 and a VFD?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:04:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Your favorite way to find the nitrogen leak on a tub that went through 1200 PSI of bottle pressure in the last 30 days? Hot soapy water? Cause that’s where I’m going
View Quote

That's the way we do it. Our last mystery leak was in the pressure switches for the alarm.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Will there be any long term problems running a 3 phase motor using single phase 220 and a VFD?
View Quote

Is motor rated for a vfd?   If no then yes you may marginally shorten the life of the motor as the high frequency/voltage transients from the conversion may cause winding failure.   The certainly would not stop me from using the motor.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I’m a substation electrician not residential but I don’t believe romex is supposed to be ran in conduit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not supposed to run romex in conduit.  It is designed to be run exposed.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Anything special you have to do to hook a 480 primary 240/120 split secondary to sub 100kva generator?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:30:23 PM EDT
[#43]
How many hydrocoptic marsalvanes in a retro encabulator?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:39:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Ooh ooh!

Any clue where to find a manual for a circa 1955 MH-1 Pacific Electric breaker? Specifically the timing and measurements for the trip latch? My and my co-workers google fu is weak. All of our manuals have disappeared  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ooh ooh!

Control building hahahaha

That sounds like a trial and error type situation sorry dude.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Or you can just tell her the truth as it's very easy to understand. It actually depends on where it came from, I'm sure there are people here that know someone who was shocked/killed by cutting into a big ground, or even a ground grid.  The clouds and wind moving over the earth are always producing charge in the ground, and when it builds up you get lightning.  Then the POCO also has Neutral to Earth Voltage, which is a feature and not a bug until someone gets roasted.
Electricity always returns to the source of the power supply (a transformer or substation). ... When electrical current cannot flow through a neutral conductor, due to some type of damage or defect in the circuit, more current will use a path through the earth to return to the power supply.
Electric current always flows from a power supply to the equipment that is using it and then back to its source, completing a circuit as it moves along an electrical supply system. Every electrical supply system uses a neutral conductor to return the current to the supply source. In addition, this neutral conductor is grounded.
This approach creates a "path of low resistance" for the current to follow in returning to its source. Under normal conditions, when electrical current flows along the grounded neutral conductor, a small portion of the current also flows through the earth. This creates some neutral-to-earth voltage (NEV), a small but measurable amount of voltage at each point where the electrical system is grounded.

When damage to the neutral conductor occurs  whether caused by a storm, corrosion or a poor connection  electric current finds an alternate path to the supply source through the earth. This will result in higher levels of NEV, and can become a source of stray voltage.
I don't know of any way to harvest the charge that builds up during storms, but you can move it around with a ground grid to prevent lightning strikes.  It's also a big deal on dairy farms because the charge from NEV and the positive charge that builds up during storms fucks with the cows that are supposedly sensitive to electrical charge.
https://www.wisconsinpublicservice.com/partners/agriculture/stray-voltage/electricity

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:44:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Probably because he is a commercial electrician so he wired it like a commercial job.  I see it quite often.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Control building hahahaha

That sounds like a trial and error type situation sorry dude.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:50:19 PM EDT
[#48]
When g/f plugs in hair iron it trips the circuit breaker everytime at different outlets and different breakers.

Outlets in the kitchen are fine.

What gives???

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Why GFCI's don't need a ground conductor?

This is interesting, why not?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:04:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Serious question.  Please read carefully, as I have asked 5 electricians today, and answers have been all over the map.

Situation... I have a metal roof on my house.  I just mounted a small tripod atop the peak of the roof, to hold a 10’ galvanized pole that will have a 6’ vertical antenna on top of the pole (setting up an HF/VHF/UHF radio shack/room).  I put rubber/nylon washers (about 1.5 mm thick) under the tripod legs to waterproof the bolt holes that go through my roof.

Most things I read say to ground the coaxial cable to the pole, and to ground the pole to a ground rod.

Now, one electrician told me to just run a small #6-#10 insulated wire across the roof to the eave, bend under the soffit, and go down the wall to a ground rod.

Another said nearly the same, but to run the wire on 2” ‘insulators’ to keep it off the metal roof.

Another said to use bare “lightning wire”, a heavy braided/woven copper wire (un-insulated), and to run it in full contact with the metal roof to the eave, then down the wall to ground rod.  He said it would ground the entire roof in case lightning hit the antenna, roof, or nearby.

A fourth told me in no uncertain terms not to mount that antenna on my roof, or I would burn my house down.  He was adamant about that.

The fifth told me I would have to put a grounded lightning rod on every corner of my house if I were to mount the antenna up on the roof.

WTF?  It seems like electrical physics is a known entity (just not known to me).  Why all the different responses?  Which is correct?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top