BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2018 1:46:24 AM EDT
pretty good stuff

Air Force Flight Test Projects of the Mid-1950s
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 7:26:09 PM EDT
[#1]
The 1980s was like an airshow every day in the Antelope Valley between ED AFB and Plant 42 in Palmdale.

My dad worked at Edwards on various CTFs and programs there, which had fundamentally formative effects on the way I view the world, materials science, and applied physics.

At an early age, I learned to tell the difference between an F-4D/E, T-38A, F-106A, F-16, F-15, B-1, and F-111 by the sound alone, from indoors.

There were so many times throughout the day when I was younger where I would race outside upon early feeling of the noise, so I could see what it was.

After you do that 3-8x/day, 3-5 times/week, for years, you get attenuated to the different noise signature of the various aircraft.

It was balls-to-the-wall flying back then.  There was a noticeable decrease in test flight tempo I would say in the late 1980s, and especially the early 1990s.

The desert, dust, and tumbleweeds were more than bearable given the show you got on almost a daily basis.  Love it out there and miss those days with much fondness.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top