I'm thinking of something like this to add to my "home gym."

Anybody use something similar?

Anything I should know?
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I like these.

https://www.amazon.com/MummyStrength-Resistance-Exercise-Powerlifting-Station/dp/B00MH5S10M/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Resistance+BAnds+mummy&qid=1588119964&sr=8-3

Also look at James Grage on youtube. He has a bunch of band content.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JamesGrage
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 6:03:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I have two sets of the bands previously posted.  The tube type is rebranded by Golds Gym and the bands are branded WODFitters.  I'm pretty sure most of the bands come from the same place just branded differently.

I pretty much only use them for warmup and stretching.  I have used them a little bit for banded bench press and squat.  I really want to use them for deadlift, but I've been too lazy to install floor anchors.

I'm happy with them both, but I don't really use them in the way it looks like you intend to.  I'm sure you can get a good workout if that's your only access at this time for weights/resistance.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:22:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a horrible knee injury about six years ago.  Part of the rehab was leg extensions.  I have a pretty good set up at home but no leg extension machine.  I got something like THIS that I anchor to my power rack.  I use it to do Terminal Leg Extensions

That's about the only use I've found for bands.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:31:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been using light bands from Rogue on the power rack for Physical Therapy follow through following a shoulder injury.  Without doing those band exercises the shoulder gets worse.
With them my bench has gone up past pre-injury. So they are worth it alone for that reason. I still can't to un-assisted band dips or pull ups since the injury and need stronger bands but are out-of-stock for now.  It would be nice to be able to do dips and chins / pull ups again.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Resistance Bands?

well, "Rage Against the Machine" comes to mind...

Kidding - I've been playing with a old set since quarantine was declared.

They help you work areas that are tough to get via traditional body resistance exercises (Push ups, squats, sit ups, ect...)
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:02:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Resistance Bands?

well, "Rage Against the Machine" comes to mind...

Kidding - I've been playing with a old set since quarantine was declared.

They help you work areas that are tough to get via traditional body resistance exercises (Push ups, squats, sit ups, ect...)
View Quote

I need some cross body transverse stuff.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:19:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been using a set since the local gym closed four weeks ago.  Since I don't yet have a door anchor, I had to be a little creative, but I can replicate all but two of the exercises I do in the gym.  I can't replicate the spider curl and the Callahan press.  The resistance curve is different than dumbbells, but if you use them correctly, you can get in an excellent workout.  If there is resistance at the beginning of the rep, you will have good resistance during the entire concentric and eccentric phases, just do the rep slowly both ways and hold for a second or two at the top of the rep.  If you have the type where you can clip multiple bands to a single handle, you can load it to the point that you cannot stretch them.

After watching the video, what I'm using are lengths of tubes with a handle at each end instead of bands.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 5/12/2020 5:31:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a ton. Mostly use them for rotator cuff exercises and to assist with pull ups. Eventually I would like to use them for bench.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Sooner or later it will snap the shit out of you. It’s inevitable
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#12]
They seem to be pretty much unobtanium nowadays.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the Mountain Dog band pack from EliteFTS. It is currently out of stock, like you noted most places are. I wanted to buy a couple of bands to split them up. I keep some at home and at work, to do some stretching and pull-aparts. I'm happy with them.

https://www.elitefts.com/mountain-dog-band-pack.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top