Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I suppose when you swim where they swim you either know it's a risk or you need to be removed from the gene pool anyway.

Like running around in the woods where there are bears and you don't carry something big enough to knock them on their ass.  You either ain't too bright or you're just waiting for it to happen and don't really care.

I'm just your average hillbilly.  I don't swim in the salt water and I don't walk out of the house without a gun.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
most people don't realize, that in the Gulf of Mexico, you're rarely more than 100 yards away from a shark. It may be a tiny shark, but you are almost always in proximity of one.
View Quote

In Flamingo, there's 5 bullsharks for every 100 yards. I was drift fishing Shark River markers and the flats boat I was in hit a weird standing wave that caught me off guard and I fell in.  I floated motionless until my buddy motored over so I could climb back in.  He was laughin his ass off. I told him I would remain floating and motionless until he came to get me.  I've seen way too many bulls eat my fish when they're thrashing around.  Not going to become shark food by splashing around trying to swim and fight the current.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Just what I should be reading as I’m getting ready to go diving and snorkeling in Key West!

Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Bear or Lion is Worse
View Quote

Small bites
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just what I should be reading as I’m getting ready to go diving and snorkeling in Key West!

View Quote

https://keysweekly.com/42/boy-loses-part-of-leg-after-shark-attack-in-the-florida-keys/
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#7]
https://keysweekly.com/42/shark-attack-off-lighthouse-highly-unusual-for-3-very-important-reasons/

Eddy told Forcine he jumped in the water and immediately saw a gray shape. The shark bit him almost head on by the shoulder and then started to shake and thrash him and turn him upside down.

Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hopefully it was quick.

View Quote

I'm thinking it probably...wasn't.

Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Better than dying slowly from ass cancer.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Better than dying slowly from ass cancer.
View Quote

Beetlejuice (1988) - The Netherworld Waiting Room scene
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:33:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File

Photo credit.... me
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#13]
If I believed in reincarnation I was a Portuguese sailor that fell off an old ship and was eaten by a shark. I will not swim in the ocean period.

Man I feel for that lady and the horror she must have endured knowing she was being eaten alive at one point. I hope she died very quickly at least and did not suffer. This will haunt her husband and family the rest of their lives.

Yes there are more worst ways like cancer ect but at least the victim and family can prepare for it. But for the victim it does not matter weather it was cancer, auto accident.....being ripped apart and realizing you are being eaten alive must have been a nightmare until it went dark.

May she rest in peace.??

I just love those Marine Biologists that study sharks and their BS that sharks do not eat people on purpose. That they bite and realize it's not their normal prey and then stop. Think about that for a moment. They have found all kinds of things in a tiger shark's stomach including none food items. A tiger shark will eat anything they can get hold of if they are hungry. Bull sharks have to be next on my list. If I'm out in my kayak and a bull comes around and starts acting aggressive around me I'll shoot the damn thing. I hate sharks and will not swim in the ocean anymore. I damn sure don't hang fish off of a stringer anymore from my kayak. I've had bulls grab them twice in 3ft of clear water. Gators also...get to close they are shot.

What a horrible event to watch in those videos and then see her body floating in the water.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Way back I had a paperback called "Shark Attack!", compiled from Navy records (including civilian shark victims).
Some of the stories (paraphrased for brevity):

1) A doctor had his penis (yes, that) bitten off when spearfishing.

2) Some brilliant guy had his foot bitten off by 12 foot Tiger shark - in 3 inches of water. Pro Tip: don't fuck with sharks.

3) The winner was a dim bulb on a fishing charter, who caught a small dogfish.
Holding it by the tail, he joked, "I'm going to swallow this!"
The shark clamped onto the guy's neck, and did not release until they cut the jaws off the shark.
The man bled to death before the boat could return to shore. (This was in the 60's, no life-flight.)
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Funny story-
We took the kids to Disneyland in 2001.
We decided to take the PCH up into Anaheim and walked Seal Beach at sunset. We were walking and we happened upon the finless and headless corpse of a seal.
The kids are splashing in the water as we walked and as it got dark the temperature dropped quickly. The wife is getting cold and is ready to go and I holler for the kids to come on, we are leaving. The oldest trots right up to us, not a problem. The youngest (8 at the time) continues to horseass along in the water even after I hollered a couple more times for him to get out and come on.
I finally hollered to him: “Hey XXXXX, you remember the seal we saw on the beach?”
His reply: “Yeah?”.
I hollered back: “Whatever did that to the seal is still out there.”
Ever seen an 8 year old walk on water?
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Hooper sleeps with Chief Brody's wife in the book because she dated his older brother in college.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I like the story in the movie better.    The whole angle of hooper and the chiefs wife having an affair - the movie turned out better.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hooper is eaten by the shark, Quint drowns.

I like the story in the movie better.    The whole angle of hooper and the chiefs wife having an affair - the movie turned out better.

You like it more, not better.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:52:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

In Flamingo, there's 5 bullsharks for every 100 yards. I was drift fishing Shark River markers and the flats boat I was in hit a weird standing wave that caught me off guard and I fell in.  I floated motionless until my buddy motored over so I could climb back in.  He was laughin his ass off. I told him I would remain floating and motionless until he came to get me.  I've seen way too many bulls eat my fish when they're thrashing around.  Not going to become shark food by splashing around trying to swim and fight the current.
View Quote

Fuck Carcharhinus leucas, pit bulls of the sea
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If I believed in reincarnation I was a Portuguese sailor that fell off an old ship and was eaten by a shark. I will not swim in the ocean period.

Man I feel for that lady and the horror she must have endured knowing she was being eaten alive at one point. I hope she died very quickly at least and did not suffer. This will haunt her husband and family the rest of their lives.

Yes there are more worst ways like cancer ect but at least the victim and family can prepare for it. But for the victim it does not matter weather it was cancer, auto accident.....being ripped apart and realizing you are being eaten alive must have been a nightmare until it went dark.

May she rest in peace.??

I just love those Marine Biologists that study sharks and their BS that sharks do not eat people on purpose. That they bite and realize it's not their normal prey and then stop. Think about that for a moment. They have found all kinds of things in a tiger shark's stomach including none food items. A tiger shark will eat anything they can get hold of if they are hungry. Bull sharks have to be next on my list. If I'm out in my kayak and a bull comes around and starts acting aggressive around me I'll shoot the damn thing. I hate sharks and will not swim in the ocean anymore. I damn sure don't hang fish off of a stringer anymore from my kayak. I've had bulls grab them twice in 3ft of clear water. Gators also...get to close they are shot.

What a horrible event to watch in those videos and then see her body floating in the water.
View Quote

The videos on page 1 were of a guy in Australia being killed and eaten by a shark last February.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:56:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Meh. She knew the risks.

Oh wait, she was a woman.

Someone should've told her about sharks.

She still would've gone.

It is what it is.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
most people don't realize, that in the Gulf of Mexico, you're rarely more than 100 yards away from a shark. It may be a tiny shark, but you are almost always in proximity of one.
View Quote

I’ve seen a few off the coast of Daytona Beach as well
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I deal with Bull Sharks every time I go spearing. They are annoying and can be aggressive but, they are generally smallish(3-6'). Not usually a big problem as they hate being hit in the head with the butt of my gun. I've had one really brave one grab my stringer once. He's now in shark heaven via a disposable bang tip.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Haven't seen a single shark in the Great Lakes yet.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There is a way to avoid shark attack.
View Quote

Kill all the sharks?  
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Let’s be honest, if this woman was killed by a bison in Yellowstone we’d all be laughing at her and calling her a dumb bitch.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Kill all the sharks?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kill all the sharks?  

Leave Shark 'Bros alone, they're just doing what they've always done. How would you like it if someone came in while you were picking up dinner & popped a cap in your ass?

Maybe a little more self-awareness of her environment would have saved her.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Wait til Chris Hemsworth hears about this!
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There is a reason the last time I swam in the ocean is going to remain the last time. Fuckers are everywhere these days. I’ve even seen them in the surf just offshore.
View Quote

Over protected species. Results speak for themselves.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Not top of food chain at times.
View Quote

When you enter the water, you enter the food chain.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:33:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I see bulls, tigers, and hammerheads frequently while fishing off the piers in Pensacola, Navarre, Gulf Shores, Ft. Walton.  Just last week there was a 12ish ft. tiger following a small school of blacktips about 3ft long.  He stayed about 20 yards behind them insight all around the pier at Pcola from the shallows to the deep end.  They finally headed out away from shore.  Same day we saw a large bull shark following a large school of cownose rays.  Later there apparently was a kill because we saw blood slick about 80 yards out.

I heard there was a great white running around just out from Destin/Ft. Walton area in the last month but I have no way of confirming.

I tell the tourist when I see a shark go up on the beach and pull someone into the water and eat them is the day I will stop fishing saltwater.  I do not fish fresh/brackish water from the shore just because I do not want to be gator food.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

When you enter the water, you enter the food chain.
View Quote

Not everyone                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
This Is Why Orcas Are Called Killer Whales
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:47:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Here is a link to a live camera at a Ft. Lauderdale marina. At night, they have underwater lights that draw an amazing number of large fish, including a lot of sharks. Note, if you are checking this during daylight hours it is just a boring water view. Need to see it at night.

Ft. Lauderdale marina camera
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a reason the last time I swam in the ocean is going to remain the last time. Fuckers are everywhere these days. I’ve even seen them in the surf just offshore.

This.  Some marine biologists are finally admitting it. There is a reason why some animals were hunted to extinction or at least close to extinction.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Here is a link to a live camera at a Ft. Lauderdale marina. At night, they have underwater lights that draw an amazing number of large fish, including a lot of sharks. Note, if you are checking this during daylight hours it is just a boring water view. Need to see it at night.

Ft. Lauderdale marina camera
View Quote

That’s awesome
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:52:29 PM EDT
[#36]
She went in the water.
Shark in the water.
Our shark.

Pic is of a Tiger but betcha whitey will be confirmed. Always white mans fault.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Tiger sharks are the most common around HI and they take clean bites that result in massive blood loss and death in likely no more than a minute.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:56:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope.

Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#39]
I survived my shark attack

Link Posted: 12/19/2022 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Marked safe from great white attacks in Kansas.
View Quote

But...
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Kill all the sharks?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kill all the sharks?  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Nature don't give a fuck. Sometimes it really sucks. I feel bad for the couple.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Doll eyes.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#44]

Mostly.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#45]
For those going to the keys.

...The International Shark Attack File has only 17 unprovoked shark attacks in Monroe County on file in the past 138 years, dating back to 1882. (Sombrero Lighthouse is slightly older. It was constructed in 1858.)...

I dove the keys for many years and never saw any shark other than a bonnet head or a nurse shark.
I dont spear fish.
It seems everytime I hear a story about sharks in south florida its always when they are spearfishing.
Not to say it never happens.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Haven't seen a single shark in the Great Lakes yet.
View Quote

Not in the Great Lakes, but definitely the MI. Governor, Attorney General, and Secretary of State.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:48:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:51:08 PM EDT
[#48]
That was a shark attack in Sydney Australia dude. Victims name was Simon something.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Now I know.....  I will never be diving Hawaii. That Tracker was pretty telling.
Bet that area is Full of Fish though.
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 9:54:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Way back I had a paperback called "Shark Attack!", compiled from Navy records (including civilian shark victims).
Some of the stories (paraphrased for brevity):

1) A doctor had his penis (yes, that) bitten off when spearfishing.

2) Some brilliant guy had his foot bitten off by 12 foot Tiger shark - in 3 inches of water. Pro Tip: don't fuck with sharks.

3) The winner was a dim bulb on a fishing charter, who caught a small dogfish.
Holding it by the tail, he joked, "I'm going to swallow this!"
The shark clamped onto the guy's neck, and did not release until they cut the jaws off the shark.
The man bled to death before the boat could return to shore. (This was in the 60's, no life-flight.)
View Quote

You mean 3ft?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top