Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2020 2:11:31 PM EDT
Am I crazy for wanting to snag some up?  I know they got swept up in the oil speculation issues.
I have a bit to toss at it and not worry about returns for a year or so.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 4:36:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RedFox1911:
Literally on the first page
View Quote

Thanks.  Didn’t see it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Those leveraged ETFs aren’t intended to be held for a year, FYI.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Tit_Dirt:
Those leveraged ETFs aren’t intended to be held for a year, FYI.
View Quote

That's ancient nonsense FYI
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By dragonstalk:

That's ancient nonsense FYI
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

“The fund is not intended to be used by, and not appropriate for, investors who do not intend to actively manage and monitor their portfolios. For periods longer than a single day, the fund will lose money if the index’s performance is flat, and it is possible that the fund will lose money even if the index’s performance increases over a period longer than a single day.”

“The fund does not seek to achieve its stated investment objective for a period of time different than a trading day”

These quotes and more like them are all throughout the prospectus. This isn’t intended to be a long term buy and hold product.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#6]

“The fund is not intended to be used by, and not appropriate for, investors who do not intend to actively manage and monitor their portfolios. For periods longer than a single day, the fund will lose money if the index’s performance is flat, and it is possible that the fund will lose money even if the index’s performance increases over a period longer than a single day.”

“The fund does not seek to achieve its stated investment objective for a period of time different than a trading day”

These quotes and more like them are all throughout the prospectus. This isn’t intended to be a long term buy and hold product.
View All Quotes

“The fund is not intended to be used by, and not appropriate for, investors who do not intend to actively manage and monitor their portfolios. For periods longer than a single day, the fund will lose money if the index’s performance is flat, and it is possible that the fund will lose money even if the index’s performance increases over a period longer than a single day.”

“The fund does not seek to achieve its stated investment objective for a period of time different than a trading day”

These quotes and more like them are all throughout the prospectus. This isn’t intended to be a long term buy and hold product.

I would believe that if they didn’t give a dividend (albeit a small one)
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:24:43 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

and bitcoin wasn't intended to be a speculative asset, yet it is
HSA wasn't intended to be a backdoor IRA, yet it is

nowhere in that prospectus does it say you can't do it, just intention

run some backtesting of non-inverse leveraged ETF's, they blow most portfolios out of the water
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 11:57:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 20229mm:

I would believe that if they didn’t give a dividend (albeit a small one)
View All Quotes

I would believe that if they didn’t give a dividend (albeit a small one)

I didn’t make those quotes up, they are straight from Direxion. I guess you can choose to believe the company about their own fund or not
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:05:52 AM EDT
[#9]

and bitcoin wasn't intended to be a speculative asset, yet it is
HSA wasn't intended to be a backdoor IRA, yet it is

nowhere in that prospectus does it say you can't do it, just intention

run some backtesting of non-inverse leveraged ETF's, they blow most portfolios out of the water
View All Quotes

and bitcoin wasn't intended to be a speculative asset, yet it is
HSA wasn't intended to be a backdoor IRA, yet it is

nowhere in that prospectus does it say you can't do it, just intention

run some backtesting of non-inverse leveraged ETF's, they blow most portfolios out of the water

Oh I’m well aware there’s nothing stopping you from holding them long term, but Direxion, who stands to benefit from folks purchasing their ETFs, tells you in bold letters multiple places not to do it for a reason. There are hidden risks there. Otherwise, why would anyone hold an SP 500 fund for 30 years when UPRO exists? Or long term treasurys when TMF exists? Leverage your whole portfolio and “blow other portfolios out of the water”.

I was only trying to bring it to OPs attention because the way he asked the question I figured there was a good chance he doesn’t fully understand what he’s thinking about buying here.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:53:37 AM EDT
[#10]
To clarify my portfolio.  
I have plenty in my 401 and my IRA. Mostly set to DRIP or mid caps.

This is purely fuck money. Toss 5-10g at it and wait.  It’ll be 100g at some point.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
To clarify my portfolio.  
I have plenty in my 401 and my IRA. Mostly set to DRIP or mid caps.

This is purely fuck money. Toss 5-10g at it and wait.  It'll be 100g at some point.
View Quote
If you are long on oil, why not just buy the oil companies you like? This fund makes no sense to me. It's 2x leveraged but has 61% of its holdings in cash or bonds. Doesn't that negate the 2x leverage? On top of that they charge almost 1 percent in fees to own it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 2:25:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By wvar15:
If you are long on oil, why not just buy the oil companies you like? This fund makes no sense to me. It's 2x leveraged but has 61% of its holdings in cash or bonds. Doesn't that negate the 2x leverage? On top of that they charge almost 1 percent in fees to own it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wvar15:
To clarify my portfolio.  
I have plenty in my 401 and my IRA. Mostly set to DRIP or mid caps. 

This is purely fuck money. Toss 5-10g at it and wait.  It'll be 100g at some point.
If you are long on oil, why not just buy the oil companies you like? This fund makes no sense to me. It's 2x leveraged but has 61% of its holdings in cash or bonds. Doesn't that negate the 2x leverage? On top of that they charge almost 1 percent in fees to own it.

These funds achieve their leverage through derivatives. The cash is mostly there to cover losses on the derivatives. So no it doesn’t negate the leverage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top