Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2021 12:02:47 AM EDT
Had my starter go out on my 2016 Tucson an the dealer wants $450 for a replacement or I can get a Auto Zone Duralast for $230. How bad are the AZ starters?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:29:36 AM EDT
[#1]
You can get a new not reman starter from Rockauto for about $110 plus shipping (non turbo engine). No idea if it’s a good one or not since I’m not very familiar with Hyundai vehicles.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:55:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Always tend to avoid rebuilt stuff from autozone at all costs.
Rock auto usually has good prices on new stuff (as above)
Dealer if new or factory rebuild is an option
Oreillys if I have to get a parts store rebuild

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 5:41:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I've used a lot of AZ starters and have had very few problems.

Don't buy their value line and you'll be ok.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:14:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Az is hit or miss. Rock auto is what I would do if you can wait. Dont know if you have the turbo or not, but they list a supposed oe starter for the non turbo for 110.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Having your starter rebuilt is the best bet.  Usually less expensive and much more reliable.

I've had to purchase salvage starters and alternators to rebuild when customers have had repeat failures with the part store brands.

Call a local shop and ask who they use in your area.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:34:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I replaced 3 AZ starters for a friend of mine. On number 4 he bought another one elsewhere. I would never do that again. Rockauto is light years ahead.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:46:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Having your starter rebuilt is the best bet.  Usually less expensive and much more reliable.

I've had to purchase salvage starters and alternators to rebuild when customers have had repeat failures with the part store brands.

Call a local shop and ask who they use in your area.

View Quote

Locally all those shops are long gone, used to be 3 or 4 around. Now there's zero.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Lol, Neverlast. The low end is the same as the one with the lifetime warranty. They charge more for the warranty because they know you will need it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lol, Neverlast. The low end is the same as the one with the lifetime warranty. They charge more for the warranty because they know you will need it.
View Quote

That is 100% incorrect.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:33:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That is 100% incorrect.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is 100% incorrect.

Lol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top