Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/19/2021 1:08:42 PM EDT
Good afternoon ladies and gents.  I guess I'm showing my age here, anyone a fan of the novel Dune or the film adaptation of the 80's?   I am stoked to see this modern version, but also trying not to be overhyped.  I hope this is just as good as Bladerunner 2049.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9xhJrPXop4
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#1]
The Spice Must Flow.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 1:19:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Top 10 SF books ever written!
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Great book, the 80's movie had it's moments.  I haven't heard anything about a 2021 movie, but considering the 'wokeness' that we're being subjected to in cinema, I'll reserve judgement.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I really enjoyed reading the books.
I have 100% faith in HollyWeirds ability to screw this all up.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 2:24:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Sandworms.....!
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#6]
If Rush was a SciFi movie.  

Link Posted: 7/19/2021 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Expecting extreme wokeness.

Loved the book, back in the day.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Dr. Liet-Kynes is a woman in this Dune.

Jay
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Jay
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jay

Yeah, I know…
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Fear is a mind fucker!
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Another classic film being fooked......
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#12]
There was a miniseries back in the early 2000's that was a two part, multi-episode affair. For some reason, it has disappeared from the internet. I have tried several times to find it to watch again. No luck. It was a very good rendition of the first 3 books.

Additionally, Herbert's son and another guy wrote 5-6 books adding to the Dune canon. See: House Atreides, House Harkonnen, Butlerian Jihad, and a few more. They were very good reads, and laid the groundwork for a lot of the various subcultures that appear in the books.

Looking, ever so hopefully that the new movie/series will be watchable and not totally full of SJW fuckery.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#13]
While I enjoy the original movie its obvious that the creators didn't get much of the ideology behind the book or the real plot.

The mini series was much better and I have hopes for this one.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 4:46:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There was a miniseries back in the early 2000's that was a two part, multi-episode affair. For some reason, it has disappeared from the internet. I have tried several times to find it to watch again. No luck. It was a very good rendition of the first 3 books.

Additionally, Herbert's son and another guy wrote 5-6 books adding to the Dune canon. See: House Atreides, House Harkonnen, Butlerian Jihad, and a few more. They were very good reads, and laid the groundwork for a lot of the various subcultures that appear in the books.

Looking, ever so hopefully that the new movie/series will be watchable and not totally full of SJW fuckery.
View Quote

It's still available on physical media along with it's sequel "Children of Dune".  

Well worth the purchase.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 4:53:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Good afternoon ladies and gents.  I guess I'm showing my age here, anyone a fan of the novel Dune or the film adaptation of the 80's?   I am stoked to see this modern version, but also trying not to be overhyped.  I hope this is just as good as Bladerunner 2049.

View Quote
books and such are great.

The 80s movie was too complicated for the average movie goers.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 5:07:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Great book.... movie looks like it’ll be awesome
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Just picked up the mini series and children of dune off of eBay. Loved the book. Excited to get to watch this. Also going to go back and re-read the series.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Read the books in high school, saw the Lynch movie and now own it, as well as the Sci-Fi mini seriez, and own them.  Timothy Chalamet is much closer to Herbert's description of Paul as small for his age than either Kyle McLaughlin or Alec Newman.  And as much as 80s Sean Young was gorgeous, she isn't a Fremen.  Too "water fat"!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Read the books in high school, saw the Lynch movie and now own it, as well as the Sci-Fi mini seriez, and own them.  Timothy Chalamet is much closer to Herbert's description of Paul as small for his age than either Kyle McLaughlin or Alec Newman.  And as much as 80s Sean Young was gorgeous, she isn't a Fremen.  Too "water fat"!!
View Quote

Lost me when he turned into a worm!
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sy-Fy channel mini series. I think there is a 4k release out now. Someone on facebook was talking about it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Golden Path. Leto 2 had to become to worm to have the time to save humanity.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 10:45:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sy-Fy channel mini series. I think there is a 4k release out now. Someone on facebook was talking about it.
View Quote

I have it on DVD.  I think they did a really good job with it.  Also it has boobs.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 12:14:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The Golden Path. Leto 2 had to become to worm to have the time to save humanity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A fucking worm…how weak…
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 10:30:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There were elements of Messiah and Children that were great, but the mechanics of the story after Dune were a little weak.

Heretics and Chapterhouse were meh, but I understand what he was doing trying to pull all the threads together.

I tried to like the Brian Herbert stuff, but it was utterly flavorless to me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 12:17:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It's still available on physical media along with it's sequel "Children of Dune".  

Well worth the purchase.
View Quote

Thanks DaGoose. Found it and ordered it this morning.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Liet is a chick!!

But I am still on board.

But this should be 16-24 hours for us.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 12:42:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Please use the search function.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/New-Dune-2021-trailer/5-2471935/?page=6
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 1:26:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm not sure why you posted this.  I clicked on the link you provided and the person posted his Dune post yesterday, whereas I posted mine on the 19th.  Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 2:16:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stopped at Godemperor Dune
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 3:06:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Its not going to be good,

They have the ugly spiderman girl in it (why is she so ugly and why do they keep putting her in movies), and Jason momoa.

Link Posted: 8/8/2021 12:50:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dune miniseries first episode on Youtube
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#33]
gonna be woke

Denis Villeneuve Says Zendaya Will Be the Main Character in Dune 2
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#34]
I read the book while spending 11 days one summer in the Jordanian desert. It certainly added to the experience!
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 6:21:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Watched it yesterday (2021 version). I didn't expect it to be so good. So far they managed to make all the things cool. The worms, the spaceships oh and those sardaucar soldiers. A bit less whining of the young Paul wold be better but they can't make all the thing good.

BTW its only a part I which was a BIG surprise for me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 6:25:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Dune is probably my favorite book ever, or at least a serious contender (I read a lot...).  Was not into the 80s flick at all, but the new one is in very capable hands.
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Watched it yesterday (2021 version). I didn't expect it to be so good. So far they managed to make all the things cool. The worms, the spaceships oh and those sardaucar soldiers. A bit less whining of the young Paul wold be better but they can't make all the thing good.

BTW its only a part I which was a BIG surprise for me.
View Quote

How/where did you watch it?
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 3:48:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How/where did you watch it?
View Quote

Here in Ukraine the premiere was on Sep 16th. Probably the premiere date moved due to another lockdown starting next week :(
So yeah I'm a lucky bastard
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Generally speaking been a fan of (good) SciFi since it exists (or I) hence YES to Dune.

I have hopes and expectations for this one.
We were watching with the kids the 1980s one with Sting and BY GOD the special effects are so poor that that ruined the movie (which I used to love) for all of us.

It's just the way it is - non-credible effects unfortunately, to a trained eye of 2021 - they will ruin an otherwise good movie.

My two cents
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Really looking forward to seeing it myself!
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#41]
New extended trailer:

DUNE Extended Trailer - "Royal Houses" (2021)

I really hope they don't fuck this up. Fantastic cast, perfect director for this, production values and effects look fantastic. I'm optimistic.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#42]
I just watched a cam version of the new Dune movie. It's out there in the wild if you want to look for it, but it's crappy quality. I never watch cam movies, but I just couldn't resist this one.

It's awesome. I can't wait to see it on the big screen next month. I will happily pay to watch it again.

If you've read the book or seen the earlier versions, you already know the story, so it's basically already spoiled. There are no major departures from the book or earlier movie/series. For those worried about the Liet-Kynes switch, she does fine.

The movie leaves off right about the point that Paul and Jessica meet the Fremen in the desert, so there will obviously have to be at least one sequel to get to the end of the first book, or where the 1980s movie ended.

But for those who are worried about this adaptation... Relax. If you like the book and like the story, you'll like this version of it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:56:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Now this would have been something...https://www.jodorowskysdune.com/
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I just watched a cam version of the new Dune movie.
View Quote

Now there's a name I havent heard in a long time.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Well worth the purchase.
View Quote

To date, the closest adaptions to the original works.
Much better than you would expect from just hearing Sci Fi Channel and TV mini-series.

The 80s movie really jacked up a lot of stuff.
The first problem was it’s based on a novel with over 180K words.
That’s about twice the count of the average novel.  Around four times what could be considered a novel.  About eight times what could be considered a novelette or novella.  And like 20 times the word count of a short story.

The sweet spot for capturing the essence of printed work adapted into a movie is about 10 to 15 words per second.    (This does not mean the movie will be good, profitable, etc. But seem to be the best balance of not losing any significant points.development, while not dragging on with boring, unnecessary stuff).

I remember reading dune the first time around 11 or 12, and it’s my first example of significant, major, detailed world building in well above average length for a book.

This rough rule of thumb would mean the first Dune novel would really need about 4 hours.

For about a hundred years, movies seem to average about 100 minutes long, and almost all are between 80 to 120 minutes,with very slight upward trends, maybe average a minute longer per decade.  This does not mean it’s the best leghorn for the story telling medium, but realities of time available in one sitting, advertising, broadcast schedules, movies theatre showings per night/day, etc.

The 155 minute runtime of dune 21 is probably overkill for half of the first novel.  I’ll have to see if it does more than half and is more appropriate.
The 137 minute runtime of dune 84 didn’t cut it for the full novel.
The 265 minute runtime of the Miniseries, (295 directors cut) was pretty close to the sweet sport, and allowed some seepage from later importance to better portray the relevance of Irulan.
The miniseries sequel adapted Dune Messiah and Children of Dune.  About 210K words.  Again a run time pretty close to the sweet spot at 266 minutes.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Well worth the purchase.
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 12:46:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Liet is a chick!!

But I am still on board.

But this should be 16-24 hours for us.
View Quote

That would be way too long for the first novel.

Plus, after the first novel- which gives a classic and satisfying  typical hero cycle, the next novel skips over a decade and unevenly further powers while simultaneously deconstructionism of the role as completed hero cycle empower, with an atypical branch he ends up on, and his son on a branch essentially requiring the sacrifice of his humanity to attempt the one path that results in the survival of the human race as a whole.  With less than satisfying outcomes and progression over about 5,000 years , and ending on a cliffhanger.

For audiences as a whole, each subsequent novel seems to trend waning interest and popularity.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Now this would have been something...https://www.jodorowskysdune.com/
View Quote

Have you seen any of his other films?

At best we would have been looking at Zardoz meets Heaven’s Gate.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 1:20:16 AM EDT
[#49]
I just re-watched the Dune 84 theatrical release foe the first time in, well, 15 years or so.

At the time of its release,
My thoughts were:
What is this shit show.
WTF is with the voice module thing
What happened to the freeman fight to the death entry for Paul
Why is Paul not 15, he looks like 25 or so, and why does it seem like a year at most went by vs 3 or so years
Zero of the Gurney, Duncan, etc relationship aspect are there, even to the basic level they did with Kynes

I had also seen the TV version on a black and white 13 inch TV, and later a 19 inch color on VHS.  
It had some more scenes that were of importance,
But the birth and death of a son is a big deal,
And the whole training/martial art vs module thing still left it very flawed.
Let alone raining at the end.

Like others I heard rumors of a six hour version, but even in the pre-internet as we know it of 30 years ago, we kind of knew the root of the rumors was the 180ish minute TV version aired over two, 2-hour nights with commercials, a four hour version missing many special effects shown among the makers, or on the six hours total of film shit, including multiple takes of single scenes, etc.

Had any of you seen the original Highlander movie, and eagerly went to the theatre in 1991 to see the sequel?  Remember how you felt?  That’s how I felt walking out of the theatre after Dune.  

Watching it again, I have the same lingering disappointment.  
I’ll watch the TV edition steel book remastered to widescreen DVD later for comparison again.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep was a about a 35,000 world novel set to a rich 117 minutes.
Dune, about five times that length, limited to only 20 minutes more.
These are two movies are renown for multiple cuts and versions- probably the two most infamously known for major changes it vs standard clean scenes for TV, cuts for runtime, cuts for a rating change, filler deleted scenes for TV filler.
One known as a box office failure and panned by critics, fans of the book, and moviegoers in general.
The other, while not a box office smash, was not a failure, was lauded by critics, surpassed the expectations of those familiar with the book by transcending the source work, and has provided a rich source of undergraduate and graduate analysis in the academic world.

Largely because there is a sweet spot for how many words per minute of runtime exist.

Link Posted: 10/8/2021 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Ok, so I watch what I thought was the TV version last night.

It’s not quite the TV version.

There was the theatrical 137 minute version,
And a 187 minute TV version.  I have seen this on VHS on 13 inch B&W and 19 inch color TVs that someone recorded.

I have the 177 minute steel box DVD from about 15 years ago, that I think is exactly the TV TV version except the widescreen remaster version of it minus the extra opening and closing credits from airing over two nights.
I’m not sure if anything other than the extra openings and closings were cut.  The primary differences I remember between the TV version and theatrical version  are the evil gay bloody murder presumed corpse rape the baron does is missing from the TV version, the opening princess narration is replaced by some longer backstory and pictures in the TV version, and the tv version has the Paul fight the fremen scene and the drowned worm/water of life scene and the Picard playing the Bali set scene.   With some other  scenes using a little longer takes/more dialog.

Basically, the movie version is a better film.  In terms of flow, single sitting run time, etc.
The TV version/extended version is a better adaptation, including a couple of key scenes and offering a little more exposition.

Probably the best version possible of the 1984 attempt would be a hybrid using all of the movie fitting and opening, adding the art work opening of the TV version, then doing the movie version with the fremen fight, water of life, gurney, and death of max von sydow scenes from the tv version placed in.

Maybe Sean young just has a knack for being in films with controversial cuts and changes.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top