Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2022 9:30:46 AM EDT
I had to bust out the old switch box to add some new wires.  Whats the best way to fix the up the damaged areas of the drywall to get it back to square for the new box?  I was planning to just add mud and shape it, but is that the wrong approach?

Edited to add ms paint to better represent the switch box that was removed for size estimation.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Kinda hard to tell just how to bad it is.

I'd use a double gang box with one of These.

Also our house has an outlet with every light switch. Initially i thought it kinda wierd but in real life it's very handy.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I installed a panel and some outlets for a welder and machines and the same happened to me. I can say in complete confidence that you don't want to just use mud to fix it, it will latter get hard and crack and look awful(now on my list of things to do...again lol). I would at a minimum cut pieces to fill the void and mud and smooth on top of that and maybe use some mesh tape with that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:41:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I like painter’s caulking, but mud build up would also be fine.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:47:59 AM EDT
[#5]
This is how you do it....

Square up the existing hole....

if you need - put a 2x2 in the center and sides of the hole and drywall screw it in place....I would put one or two in....

Cut a piece of drywall about two inches bigger than the hole...

From the back - measure in two inches - draw your lines - cut the backer paper and the gyp part of the board....snap the board to break break it...leave the front paper inplace...peel off the back paper and the gyp - so you have the board that will fit the hole and the paper that will over lap 2 inches all the way around...

put a little drywall mud to the pack of the pater of the patch....fit it in and screw it to the backer board that you put in...

Finish mud in your patch...

if you do it right - will be a perfect patch.

Red
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#6]
You tube it.
That's an easy fix.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cut it square.  Slide in a piece of 1x that extends a couple inches above and below the break and attach it with a couple of drywall screws.  Screw new piece of drywall to that.  Mud and paint.
View Quote

This is basically what I do.

Usually cut patch piece a couple inches too big on each side. Then score the back paper the correct size and break off the gyp. leaving the top paper.  Built in drywall tape.

Use a piece of 1/4" plywood maybe for your backer.  Should be able to cut out the box hole and fit in a repair box.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Mesh tape on the backside. Will give the mud something to adhere to and ideally paper tape on the front imbedded in the mud to give it some strength
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#10]
with a comically oversized cover.    

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ATVRGE?tag=arfcom00-20

on a more serious note, get a box with the drywall tabs and you can fasten the your patch to the box prior to installing.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Nvm
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nvm
View Quote
I watched it before you neverminded. I loved it man. I wish I knew this when I did mine.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I watched it before you neverminded. I loved it man. I wish I knew this when I did mine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nvm

I posted before reading when I saw "patch drywall", because it's such a neat trick.  It won't work for OP, but now I'll have to put it back.  :)

Eta: actually, it will work for OP.  Just do 3 sides.  Need more coffee.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Make a bigger hole.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

if you need - put a 2x2 in the center and sides of the hole and drywall screw it in place....I would put one or two in....

From the back - measure in two inches - draw your lines - cut the backer paper and the gyp part of the board....snap the board to break break it...leave the front paper inplace...peel off the back paper and the gyp - so you have the board that will fit the hole and the paper that will over lap 2 inches all the way around...

put a little drywall mud to the pack of the pater of the patch....fit it in and screw it to the backer board that you put in...

Red
View Quote

This is the right way.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Paint stir sticks are heavy enough to use for the wood backing at the edge of the repair.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Red
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Paint stir sticks are heavy enough to use for the wood backing at the edge of the repair.
View Quote

Was going to suggest this.  Use hot glue gun to glue paint paddle in place. Mud up over it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#19]
This thread is useful to my needs, thanks everyone.  I have a ragged hole in the drywall under by breaker box, where I fed thru the conduit for my transfer switch I installed almost 2 years ago.  I'm no drywall wizard, so I've just been staring at it daily, wondering how to fix it so it looks halfway decent (it's in the separate garage, so looks aren't terribly critical).
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 10:28:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This thread is useful to my needs, thanks everyone.  I have a ragged hole in the drywall under by breaker box, where I fed thru the conduit for my transfer switch I installed almost 2 years ago.  I'm no drywall wizard, so I've just been staring at it daily, wondering how to fix it so it looks halfway decent (it's in the separate garage, so looks aren't terribly critical).
View Quote

I would probably cover that with a piece of sheet metal or plywood.  Some day, you're going to want to add another circuit.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 12:01:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
I did this, but used a pointed drywall saw to cut a neat square.  After installing all of the wiring, I put in backer strips with drywall screws and reinstalled the panel.  I can easily spackle it and refinish, but this allows me to get back into it to run another circuit, which I have done a couple times.  This is what OP should have done.  Cut the hole, don't go all Leroy Jenkins on your drywall.

If you have ever seen a company do a whole house re-pipe, this is exactly how they do it.  They also sand the patches with a wet abrasive sponge while the mud is still in the plastic state, so there is no dust.

The holes don't need to be perfect, and that makes it easier to reinstall the panel exactly how it was before.

Carnage:

Link Posted: 5/25/2022 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd use a double gang box with a cover that has one switch cutout on the cover. Cutting out to the next stud and boxing it in is a permanent fix but a lot of work.

Note: get yourself a oscillating tool before trying to do any rework. Even a cheap one makes cutting out electrical boxes a snap. I wish I had bought one a long time ago.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

So are cedar pickets.

I'd fill with hot mud, paper tape, coat, texture, then paint.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I posted before reading when I saw "patch drywall", because it's such a neat trick.  It won't work for OP, but now I'll have to put it back.  :)

Eta: actually, it will work for OP.  Just do 3 sides.  Need more coffee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0mxQfnNDoY

View Quote
Learned this method 20 years ago, works well for certain applications and formally referred to at the buttplug patch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top