Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2024 7:29:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane]
I know it’s traditionally brisket, but a 5# tri-tip on sale was the perfect size and the fat content looked right.

Yeah yeah, it’s not Irish for St. Patrick’s day, blah blah blah.

Don’t give a shit. I like corned beef, so why the fuck not.

Basically using the same rub as my dry cooked bacon (same ratio of salt/NaNO3, half as much brown sugar, add coriander seed, mustard seed, black peppercorns, bay leaves, a little allspice.

Let’s see what happens, I guess. Might be good, might suck.

Last few times I’ve done corned beef it’s ended up as pastrami.  Not this time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 3:20:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Subnet] [#1]
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:01:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#2]
I don’t plan on cooking it as long as a brisket.  My cooking plan (currently, this may change over the next couple of days) is to give it a quick rinse/pat and throw it in the pressure cooker.  Whether I finish it on the grill is still up in the air… inclined to say no because I’m trying to deviate from my pastrami tendencies.

The cure may be tricky - the key (for me) is to make sure the salt/NaNO3 ratio stays the same as something that I know works… I know this is a poor substitute for knowing the actual chemistry involved, but this was a thrown together attempt anyway.  The real truth is that, a few spices and flavorings aside, I use the same base cure recipe for everything (which started with bacon).

I am also curing it about 2/3 the time of a brisket.  I don’t know if I can over cure it, but I want full penetration of the cure… intuitively, I don’t think you can over cure, since it will reach an equilibrium point once it’s fully penetrated, right?

There is a chance that this will be a total failure.  I’m not afraid of that… hell, it’s part of the fun.

My main motivation for using the tri-tip is that it was the right size and had the right fat content.  It was also on sale.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I could go all the way crazy and sous vide it…
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
View Quote

Not crazy at all! 7 to 9 hours at 130 turns into an awesome piece of meat.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 10:58:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gearjammer351] [#6]

My main motivation for using the tri-tip is that it was the right size and had the right fat content.  It was also on sale.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

2/3 of the reason I end up trying new things.

The other 1/3 of the reason are those TV cooking shows.

That actually sounds like a really good idea to me. I haven't got a sous vide heater, but I think I'm going to get one soon. I'm probably going to get one of those you can hang on the side of a stock pot, since I have limited storage space available in the kitchen.

ETA: sous vide until finished and throw it on the grill for a sear/finish, so it looks pretty and has a nice crust on it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 3:17:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#8]
Ok- after action report:

Dry cured for 5 days, rinsed and into the sous vide overnight,

then thrown on a hot grill for an outside sear.

Served with something vaguely like colcannon

Potatoes were boiled, liquid in the sous vide bag was added to the boiling liquid, along with a spoonful of the brine.

Conclusion:

A good effort. The brine penetrated the fat more deeply, resulting in that part being too salty (in spite of a thorough rinse).  The meat had good penetration of the cure and was pretty good (not nearly as salty as the fat).  The potatoes and cabbage were the perfect accompaniment.

Afterthoughts-

It was a nontraditional cut, and a nontraditional preparation.  There were a lot of unknowns in the dish.  The result wasn’t quite what you’d expect from corned beef, but still good. I think I prefer a more traditional corned beef, though this could be tuned and improved.

A more traditional braise might have been better. A brisket might have produced more predictable results.

Regardless, it was good, and a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Pretty cool experiment.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:04:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#10]
Originally Posted By CajunMojo:
Pretty cool experiment.
View Quote

Biggest thing is that, being a different cut and different prep, the texture wasn’t what I wanted.  Brisket has a unique composition in terms of connective tissue and fat content/distribution, which is what gives good corned beef its texture, and part of what makes it so good. Cooking a different cut exactly the same way would produce something different… cooking a different cut with a different preparation, different still.

Searing it on the grill, if for no other reason beside crisping up the fat a little, was a good idea.

I’m glad I did it, and it was worthwhile, but I’ll stick to a traditional prep in the future…

Which reminds me- I need to check if there’s a post St. Patrick’s Day sale on pre-cured corned beef… that’s pastrami time.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:56:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Subnet] [#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top