Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2018 10:19:50 AM EDT
Anyone ever try these? I understand the play in a drill press and the need to have the press depth locked in place. Something like this (as an example):

Amazon Product
  • The table is suitable for Mini Drill and drill bracket series. It can also apply to other suitable machine.
  • The work table is composed of several adjustable dovetail slotaluminum alloy composition, can guarantee the minimumspace and ensure the accuracy
  • The working table comes with three T shaped groove, standard size is 15x8x6mm.

Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#1]
OST.  Been thinking about one of these that I can use on my drill press and metal lathe.   Just not sure about their quality (gaps, vibration, etc.) and which brand to get.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 11:56:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I got one for my drill press.
Did some 80% lowers.
Take your time, measure and test multiple times.
Shallow cuts. Don't try to do it all at one pass.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#3]
neat, thanks for making me add it to my amazon cart....
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Anyone ever try these? I understand the play in a drill press and the need to have the press depth locked in place. Something like this (as an example):

www.amazon.com/dp/B01KUZB8DW
View Quote
Drill press shaft bearings are not set up for side loads.

They are often still simple ball bearings and not roller bearings.

It can work on aluminum or softer material but usually has horrible cut quality on harder material like steel.

It  is far more useful for precision location and spacing of drilled holes.
If you use a flat bottom end mill you can make very nice holes.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the idea of using this as a precision positioning device.

If you are serious about doing mill work, get a mill. Or, look for a DIY workspace/ collaborative shop in your area, they often have machine shops where you rent time.

I'm lucky that my father has a full metalworking shop. I go over there when I can and work on custom flashlights.

Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Drill press shaft bearings are not set up for side loads.

They are often still simple ball bearings and not roller bearings.

It can work on aluminum or softer material but usually has horrible cut quality on harder material like steel.

It  is far more useful for precision location and spacing of drilled holes.
If you use a flat bottom end mill you can make very nice holes.
View Quote
This.

And drill chuck are mounted on a taper which is not really meant for side loads of milling.  And a 3 jaw drill chuck is damn poor at holding side loading also.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:57:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't waste you money on that POS. spend around 275-300, that will not stand up for long if at all.
Check MSC (they bought out Enco) or McMaster-Carr maybe Grainger
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:03:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Don't waste you money on that POS. spend around 275-300, that will not stand up for long if at all.
Check MSC (they bought out Enco) or McMaster-Carr maybe Grainger
View Quote
What are you  recommending for 275-300
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I posted this with the idea of finishing 80% lowers. Maybe some other aluminum projects. Not steel. But if I can get something that doesn't break the bank that does steel, I am open to it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I've tried those milling vises with my drill press before. The problem is that most drill presses aren't rigid enough to do milling work....they are designed to drill, not have side loads put on them.  They chatter way to much if you try to mill with them.....it will work in a pinch, but it's pretty crummy looking, and hard on your drill press.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 3:02:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've tried those milling vises with my drill press before. The problem is that most drill presses aren't rigid enough to do milling work....they are designed to drill, not have side loads put on them.  They chatter way to much if you try to mill with them.....it will work in a pinch, but it's pretty crummy looking, and hard on your drill press.
View Quote
We did soft materials for modelling and a little bit of aluminum.

You have to make VERY small cuts.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Enco used to have one in that price range, but they have been bought out by MSC.

These are at McMaster Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/cross-slide-tables, Strange as it sounds the larger one is cheaper $339.00 It has been a long time since I priced them  (I have a Rong-FU mill-drill I paid $1250.00+ tax brand new in 2002).
As others have said a drill press was not designed for side cutting.
A mill drill will be a lot more money to start with, but depending on how involved into you want to get into finishing 80%'s it will do what you need to do.
I finished a 0% on mine (never again).
I build a 1" bore breach loading cannon on mine, milling a .750" x3" breach block and breach block hole in a 3" dia. of stainless steel tubing.
there are also CNC mills just made for finishing 80% lowers for around $1100.00
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like the idea of using this as a precision positioning device.

If you are serious about doing mill work, get a mill. Or, look for a DIY workspace/ collaborative shop in your area, they often have machine shops where you rent time.

I'm lucky that my father has a full metalworking shop. I go over there when I can and work on custom flashlights.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/640x480q90/924/tQ27wg.jpg
View Quote
@drafterdan

Do you have some info on that beauty of a custom flashlight? I love the shape.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#14]
People need to understand - That unit is not really intended for milling.

It allows you to drill a series of holes using the feed dials with repeatable results and decent accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@drafterdan

Do you have some info on that beauty? I love the shape.
View Quote
That looks like a spin indexer rather than a dividing head (Read, a lot cheaper).
You could also use a 5C collet in a hex collet holder
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That looks like a spin indexer rather than a dividing head (Read, a lot cheaper).
You could also use a 5C collet in a hex collet holder
View Quote
oops, I meant the customer flashlight body!

but still good information to have!
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 7:10:18 AM EDT
[#17]
One other thing I forgot to mention is how the chuck is attached to the quill.If it is not threaded it will most likely have some type of taper (ie morse) it might be called a Jacobs taper.
Before I had my mill I was using a sanding drum to open up a 2" pipe tee. If there was too much chatter the chuck would just fall out of the quill.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:29:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

www.amazon.com/dp/B01KUZB8DW
View Quote
As mentioned by several others that is a waste of money if you plan on doing any milling, stepping off holes is about all it is good for.

Full disclaimer: My opinion is biased towards real machines since I depend on them for my livelihood.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Get one of the square column bench top mill-drill machines for limited work.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Dont waste your time with it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:24:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@drafterdan
Do you have some info on that beauty of a custom flashlight? I love the shape.
View Quote
This was the first flashlight body I made, about six years ago. As I progressed in skill, I ended up making the head and tail. Generally based on a Surefire 6P, but with an 18650 feeding a custom quad I put together. Here's how it looks today.

yes, it's a spin indexer, not the type that you hit the lever to auto-advance to the next rotated spot.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:29:54 AM EDT
[#22]
It's pretty much crap.   There's no rigidity to speak of so only the lightest of cuts is possible with anything even vaguely resembling an acceptable surface finish.

I'd say you'd be better off to save the money toward a mini mill.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top