Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Here are the rules for the class he was in...It's crazy how close they let so many people stand next to these things...

Pro275 rules
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Small budget? Those are 200k cars before the 100k engine is put in.
View Quote
Compare that to other classes of racing. Hell what does it take to run a prostock car in NHRA? Its not cheap but when you compare it to other stuff they spend much less money.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yes it's incredible how fast they run regardless of budget.  For sure a $300,000 car with a pulling rig and spare parts to keep it going is a lot of money, but in terms of racing these are lower budget teams compared to pro stock, top fuel, etc.  Heck the TV show guys have almost the budget of these guys.  This was a steel body car and they think they can get it fixed in time to finish this weekends event.
View Quote
Its impressive to me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Like a leaf on the wind...
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:54:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes it's incredible how fast they run regardless of budget.  For sure a $300,000 car with a pulling rig and spare parts to keep it going is a lot of money, but in terms of racing these are lower budget teams compared to pro stock, top fuel, etc.  Heck the TV show guys have almost the budget of these guys.  This was a steel body car and they think they can get it fixed in time to finish this weekends event.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Small budget? Those are 200k cars before the 100k engine is put in.

These cars are insane and I agree with your earlier statement that we really are in the golden era of racing.   When a bone stock 2021 Mustang GT will gap every muscle car from the 60's, 70's and probably the 80's.  Then it can be driven 500 miles home 100 degree weather with the A/C on and never miss a beat.  Add a procharger, tune and some slicks and run with everything on the strip with the exception of the Top Alcohol / Top Fuel cars.  

I still love my classic muscle, but there is no denying that modern technology has really upped the game.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Not gonna lie, that was amazing
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:07:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:26:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

These cars are insane and I agree with your earlier statement that we really are in the golden era of racing.   When a bone stock 2021 Mustang GT will gap every muscle car from the 60's, 70's and probably the 80's.  Then it can be driven 500 miles home 100 degree weather with the A/C on and never miss a beat.  Add a procharger, tune and some slicks and run with everything on the strip with the exception of the Top Alcohol / Top Fuel cars.  

I still love my classic muscle, but there is no denying that modern technology has really upped the game.
View Quote

I have a procharger on my street car.  Procharger is about to take over drag racing.  Here is Jason Lee's 3.507 from testing for this event...  Some big names are already concerned in pro mod and calling for rules changes for procharger combo's.

Jason Lee 3.507 at lights out 12
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:48:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not a total loss, he can log the flight time as PIC but he does need to clean up the takeoffs and landings...
View Quote

Not what I would need to clean up. LoL
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:48:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Why no wheelie bars? I'm don't know much about drag racing just wondering.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Fast quarter...
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why no wheelie bars? I'm don't know much about drag racing just wondering.
View Quote

Class rules.  That is part of the excitement and challenge of small tire radial racing.  Small tires on cars that look like real street cars with no wheelie bars and 3500+ horse power.  It's my favorite type of racing.  Top fuel and funny car doesn't appeal to me much.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:04:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Class rules.  That is part of the excitement and challenge of small tire radial racing.  Small tires on cars that look like real street cars with no wheelie bars and 3500+ horse power.  It's my favorite type of racing.  Top fuel and funny car doesn't appeal to me much.
View Quote

Thank you, I can't even imagine what 3500+ HP would feel like. Shame to see that camaro get beat up but I'm sure they will have it fixed and running again soon.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:07:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Is the parachute automatic, or released by the sphincter clench?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:08:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is that chute deployed automatically when the car reaches a certain angle or was he just that fast? I assume the button is on the wheel.
View Quote

fast hand

slow right foot  
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its usually an overhead pull handle.  Kinda similar to a twatter throttle quadrant,  But just one handle usually.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:13:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:26:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Best thread of the day, thanks for posting it Op.

I thought Leroy was quick, but then he's a manual car.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:26:43 AM EDT
[#19]
The plane the plane
Damm I see pigs flying next
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:33:05 AM EDT
[#20]
He flew farther than the Wright Bothers first flight
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:00:38 AM EDT
[#21]
I watched this one happen in person. I was in the stands.

https://youtu.be/VgiglXffzNo
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:14:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Tim had heard the F-4 Phantom theory, Put enough power on a barn door it could fly. Tim thought he would apply it to his Camaro.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:15:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Wow, pretty crap for a so-called 'professional' driver. Next time take it easy on the gas.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:16:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Wow, pretty crap for a so-called 'professional' driver. Next time take it easy on the gas.
View Quote

LOL!

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:29:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Its usually an overhead pull handle.  Kinda similar to a twatter throttle quadrant,  But just one handle usually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of guys these days have inclinometer and even yaw sensors on their cars which feed back into the computer and are set up to pop the chutes if it sees the car get too far out of shape or the front end climb over a certain level.  As fast and quick as they're running these days, it would take some super human reflexes (not to mention presence of mind) to get the laundry tossed out before it's waaaaay too late to do any good.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:30:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:35:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Home of the flying car. There's almost one every year. Radial tire cars to the mother fucking fromt
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:35:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Leah Pruitt last year.

Onboard safety features helped keep Leah Pruett safe during wild incident in St. Louis
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:51:27 AM EDT
[#29]
He had some fast reflexes with that chute. That could have ended a whole lot worse.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:12:20 AM EDT
[#30]
That was fuckin bad ass
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:16:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:55:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:59:55 AM EDT
[#33]
These cars run 1/8 mile by the way. Mid 3s at well over 200mph on a drag radial tire. Most are promods that they throw radials on for this event. Stevie fast is the man.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:22:01 AM EDT
[#34]
That was some serious hang time!

He was in the air for a while
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:27:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Impressive takeoff, even more impressive landing!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:55:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Stevie taking flight in the Shadow is pretty impressive.

THE SHADOW HUGE WHEELSTAND & CRASH!

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:01:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Graceful almost.
Unfortunately the front fell off.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:04:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
These cars run 1/8 mile by the way. Mid 3s at well over 200mph on a drag radial tire. Most are promods that they throw radials on for this event. Stevie fast is the man.
View Quote

This car was actually in pro275 no pro mods allowed.  This Camaro is a steel body car.  He used to run radial vs the world, but moved to pro275 because all the cars in RVW are pro mods now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:25:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Is that chute deployed automatically when the car reaches a certain angle or was he just that fast? I assume the button is on the wheel.
View Quote

No button. It's a lever they have to reach and push.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#40]
For the people curious about the chutes.  Near the end of this ride along video you can see her throw the lever to her right above her head for the chutes.  

Lizzy Musi ride along
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#41]
needs to hire a shoe
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
needs to hire a shoe
View Quote

The best drivers, mechanics, and tuners are always in the stands or watching from home...lol
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The best drivers, mechanics, and tuners are always in the stands or watching from home...lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
needs to hire a shoe

Ain't that the damn truth...
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
needs to hire a shoe

LOL

Keyboard racers.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:37:52 PM EDT
[#45]
At some point, they need to do the NASCAR roof vents.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#46]
He clearly hit the throttle again before the car settled, that appears to be a common mistake. Most of the flyers take off on the second hit.

When you wheelie, you lost, don't hammer it again. Yeah, you MAY push through it, you probably won't though.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:02:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
He clearly hit the throttle again before the car settled, that appears to be a common mistake. Most of the flyers take off on the second hit.

When you wheelie, you lost, don't hammer it again. Yeah, you MAY push through it, you probably won't though.
View Quote

Car had wheelie control so it started pulling timing when the front end came up.  When it came down it started putting the timing back in quick so it ramped the power back up fast.  A little timing advance goes a long way with a boosted alky engine.  That and the big bounce was a perfect storm.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#48]
They got the car fixed and made a clean pass
Tim Slavens clean pass in pro275 a day after taking flight
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Car had wheelie control so it started pulling timing when the front end came up.  When it came down it started putting the timing back in quick so it ramped the power back up fast.  A little timing advance goes a long way with a boosted alky engine.  That and the big bounce was a perfect storm.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It may be best to put into the tune when the accelerometer reads a certain angle or front end suspension lift, don't just pull timing, shut'er down because it seems so easy to lose control as the car flails.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#50]

I was watching that live on Dish when it happened.

It still makes me wince when I see it...

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top