Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
[b]Originally Posted By bap:

I'm close to both.  Troy is a tad bigger, and a bit deeper.  You could even do both in a short time depending on what amount of time you want to spend on each.
View Quote

I hear much better things about Troy.

And no urge to go DH.

I will let you know! Just think, I could dive with TWO Arfcommers on this trip.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 5:46:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bap] [#2]
Next small project was coming up with a dedicated single tank for DH.
I have an Faber LP 76 that I don't really use anymore.  It has a small diameter, but a bit long.  I acid tumbled it yesterday as there was a bit of rust that needed to go.  I swapped the pro valve with an older Dacor valve that I rebuilt and has the built in HP hose connection (the old kaboom 3/8" thread).  Mounting an SPG here will solve the problem of "hmm how much air do I have left?" I have J valves, but wanted to add an spg.  The gauge I added is a period piece....3/8" that I pulled from the Scubapro MKVI.

The pack is from the twin 38s and is metal.  I added a metal band to it from a trashed backpack that I saved.  I can go back and forth from singles to the doubles when needed.  After I washed it, the harness is very good shape.  Very little fraying and the wire clasps work just fine.  It even has a sternum strap.

Now I need to top it off along with a bunch of other tanks.

Of course, it needs be bootless for old timey effect.

Link Posted: 12/30/2021 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope everyone had a good Christmas.

More tinkering with the Dacor.

I modified the demand lever with some 3/8" brass tube I had.  This will approximate the surface contact like a forked lever would.  Its got a flat on the bottom as is pretty snug, so movement is highly unlikely.  I don't consider this permanent, just more testing.

Next, I wanted to up the IP.  So I turned a few shims of varying thicknesses from acytal to test.  Of course, I have no way to measure the IP, yet.  I will be making a tool to do that down the road.  I settled on the .020" as it worked, and thicker ones caused excessive pressure and vented.  This is SWAG testing at it's best lol.  There is a noticeable difference in flow now.

Here is a closeup where you can see it installed.  The retaining lip keeps the shim from walking during install and during operation.

I started cleaning the 38s.  I am doing one for now as they were pretty bad.  I will have to do another pass as the bell of the tank has issues.  So far no major pitting.  I will do an inverted acid soak and see how it comes out.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 2:26:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Marie:
And no urge to go DH.
View Quote

I’m disappointed. You should try DH. Really.
Link Posted: 1/24/2022 1:45:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By TigerForce:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TigerForce:
And no urge to go DH.

I dive only SM. That would be really wonky.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:32:25 AM EDT
[#6]

I dive only SM. That would be really wonky.
View Quote

Rube Goldberg Diver Systems LLC Esq

1). Chest Mount DH as posted prior
2). Gas Switch Block

Been really cold here, have two regs to test, but no balls to do so.
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By bap:

Rube Goldberg Diver Systems LLC Esq

1). Chest Mount DH as posted prior
2). Gas Switch Block

Been really cold here, have two regs to test, but no balls to do so.
View Quote

Yeah no.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 6:29:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like there was a wholesale slaughter of threads in this sub forum....
oh well.

Been busy with the place and modern single hose diving.

Also been busy with other related stuff......

New plate for DH regs, doubles as simplistic travel plate.

Today was the first dive since the last modifications to the Dacor and I am impressed.  Increased IP and the plate made a wonderful difference.

Link Posted: 4/23/2022 8:12:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks nice! Glad you’ve been diving at least.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 10:37:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bap] [#11]
@HeavyMetal

Its my design.
Final version is rolling out this week.

I believe arfcom is funny about posts and vendors...so...
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 10:41:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#12]
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 11:55:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bap] [#13]
Gladly.

Some things to note about mine.

It is not a VDH copy.  It's better.

It is designed to use a regular DIR style harness.  The shoulder straps are crossed at the back (necessary for stability).
Also, it has two waste slots for vertically challenged divers and taller divers.
I am 5'9" and the top slots are ideal.  A friend of mine is 6'4" and the bottom slots align as they should just below belly button.
Bottom corners have a subtle bend to prevent digging.
11" centers for modern air cells.  Air cells with open slot design like Dive Rite and DGZ are best to allow for the tank straps to pass through.

This is the final version, which has a little shorter OAL.  Weight for 1/8" 5150 AL plate is 1 lb 5oz.  The newer one will be slightly less.

Also have a SS tank wedge for those that want a more secure tank.  There a slots in the flat plate for the tank band to pass through.  However, they are not necessary.  Of course, they will increase the distance of the can to your back a bit, .10".

They should be available next week.

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 11:57:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HeavyMetal] [#14]
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 12:07:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 1:22:50 PM EDT
[#16]

There was a set of 46's locally for $550...boom sold before I had time to think about it.

There was a guy on SB selling a Thermo PVD One-Piece Manifold.  It was for .gov contract has since been discontinued. The old retail price was insane $800ish

I'll stick with yoke for now.  If I can pu a set of AL63s, I will put one together.  I still have the Selpac double yoke manifold to use.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 2:01:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 1:34:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Hard to believe it's been five years since I rehabbed this set of PST 45s.
Time for hydro.
Haven't taken them apart since hydro as I fill them myself.  🤞

Feeling cute, I might change the manifold to Selpac double yoke.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#19]
That took a little longer than planned.
I acid tumbled them before Christmas then the hydro guy had equipment issues until new year.
Hydro'ed fine...whipped them to clean out flash rust and put the double yoke manifold on them.
Took it out today...had the place to myself.
Still my favorite setup.

Shown with the Healthways double hose, and a frankin single hose as backup (and to have an spg + bcd inflator).

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:45:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
I heard VDH closed their shop.
View Quote

Owner died suddenly. It was a one man show. I only know this from SB.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Very sad...he was a year older than me.

VDH was definately a pillar for all things vintage diving.  There are two other vendors out there dabbling in it still.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 2:11:45 PM EDT
[#24]
@bap

Nice rig. How does it dive?
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 4:00:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bap] [#25]
@bap

Nice rig. How does it dive?
View Quote

Nicely for me.  Fits my profile fine even with them mounted lower than a traditional twin set.  Tanks are 23" oal.
I need to get my Tech Express wing back from my kid who keeps 'forgetting' to bring it with her on her visits .  Its a small horshoe wing which works better than the donut shown (dgx 24).
I still need to cut down the spun reg knob down a bit to accomodate various DH regs.  As is, it is 1/2" shorter than mounted conventionally.

Link Posted: 1/23/2023 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 8:27:18 PM EDT
[#27]

I didn’t realize he died.  I don’t hang out there like I used to.  I knew Couv died
View Quote

I lost two SB friends late last year that I knew in real life. Michael-Fisch who I stayed with in FL in 2021 and Lowviz (Dennis), who I did ITT with in Ontario in 2019. Both really nice guys.
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:10:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/23/2023 9:36:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marie] [#29]
Is the first guy the one who was lost in Cow?
View Quote

Nope. Both Michael and Lowviz died at home.

My Chicago area friend is the one who died at Cow.
Link Posted: 1/24/2023 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Marie, sorry to hear that.  May they RIP.

The more time we spend on earth, the more people come and go and things change.

First trip to my LDS Amigos since new ownershop today.  New owner is a friendly guy and already making changes to facilitate easier fills when crowded.  Also they will keep the same business model as before...self serve fills.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By bap:

Marie, sorry to hear that.  May they RIP.

The more time we spend on earth, the more people come and go and things change.

First trip to my LDS Amigos since new ownershop today.  New owner is a friendly guy and already making changes to facilitate easier fills when crowded.  Also they will keep the same business model as before...self serve fills.
View Quote

Thanks, guys.

I saw on SB that the new owner of Amigos is an asst fire chief (or something like that) in High Springs.
Link Posted: 1/25/2023 2:40:49 PM EDT
[#32]

No idea of his other jobs/ background.
I don't care and don't ask.   If someone I meet throughs that around at initial meet, me: 'that's nice'.
We just talked about the banks, gauges and setups.

He is not the sole owner as I breifly chatted with 2nd half off site.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 1:51:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Cut down the yoke knob on the lathe to make room for other regs, like the Mistral.
No diving here locally now as everthing is browned out.
Planning a trip to SoFlo soon to shoot some fish.

I am going to be making a few powerheads (used as psd) and test.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Made a couple of the poors powerheads.  
Pretty simple...they just slip over the spear tip.  The spear tip smacks the primer upon impact of targetted creature.  Single use of course.

~Heater hose for the slip on part
~Galvanized pipe for the body
~Ammo from my 'need to pull apart can'
~Epoxy tomb.

I intended to make .357, but the pipe I bought was too short, so 9mm for now.

I also picked up a newer production model of an old speargun, a Bandito, for $60.  These were originally made in the 70s. Fits with the rest of the stuff I have and planned on having it for a 'here, use this' tool.  I have an AB Biller and a pneumatic already.

OG ad

Changes made to it:
~Converted the shaft to use soft/dyneema wishbones as opposed factory metal ones.  I did this to the Biller a while ago too. A lot safer now.
~Tied new bands, 5/8" and 9/16" with dyneema wishbones.
~Installed a loop on lower grip screw so I can boltsnap it to me.  Odd that it had no provision for this.  I don't like looping a band in my arm to retain the gun.  Pointy thing in my face and all that.
~Cut a slot in the plain black front sight nub and added a small piece of lime green lexan.  Yes, light defracts colors at depth, but it is still very visible.  I made one for the pneumatic some time ago and like it.
~I was going to just free shaft it, but that can get expensive. I have no mono on hand so used weedeater line (it works) for shaft line.  Rigged like commercial guys (only one physical loop to wrap, but double wrapped line).  Makes for faster reloads.  I have reel line, but that stuff sucks for simple shaft line.

I had or made everything so in it for nuffin more really.

Now watching seas forecasts for a time to go.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top