Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/20/2018 7:30:03 PM EDT
Good to know that Don Jr. has our backs and has been appealing to his father on our behalf.  He is 100% correct on this!  Let's hope his father is wise enough to listen.

Don Jr. Advises President Trump After School Shooting: Don’t Go Wobbly on Guns
In the wake of the school shooting in Parkland, Florida, young survivors issued a call to action to President Trump, but his eldest son is telling him not to listen.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/don-jr-advises-president-trump-post-parkland-dont-go-wobbly-on-guns?ref=home

As President Donald Trump surveys aides and guests at his resort at Mar-a-Lago about what to do about gun control in the wake of another school shooting, one voice close to him is advising that he not give in to those calling for stricter measures.

Donald Trump Jr., the president’s eldest son, has been assuring his dad that the right move was to stay strong on gun rights and draw a hard line on the issue that helped propel him in the 2016 election. He is among the host of people talking to the president in the wake of the massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, which resulted in the death of 17 people. But the fact that he is family makes his access more personal and his guidance more trusted.

For those hoping to turn the latest national tragedy into a robust legislative response on guns, this isn’t a good thing. While some friends have urged Trump to adopt a more balanced approach, or even for the revival of an assault-weapons ban, Trump Jr. has argued that there was no time for even a hint of reversion to the more restrictive views on guns that Trump espoused years before he became leader of the Republican Party.

According to three sources with knowledge of their conversations, the president and Trump Jr. repeatedly discussed gun control over the long Presidents’ Day weekend, often as they both closely watched a TV airing footage in real-time of young Parkland students savaging the president for his inaction.

When polled on his opinions on the matter, the first son emphatically replied that the president must not waver on his pro-gun stance, whatever the impassioned calls for reform. Trump Jr., according to these sources, reminded his father that inching toward gun control would be immediately taken by his conservative base—as well as major donors and motivated activist networks, including the National Rifle Association—as an unforgivable betrayal.

Eric Trump, his middle son, readily agreed.

But not everyone at Mar-a-Lago on Saturday nodded along. That evening, President Trump and his two sons had dinner with Fox News personality Geraldo Rivera, who is pushing Trump to support, as Rivera calls it, a new “Juvenile Assault Weapons Ban” as a “compromise all can live with,” and as “a start” to fixing the problem.

Trump Jr. and Eric Trump did not respond to requests for comment on this story.

But those close to President Trump, in and outside of the administration, generally view it as unlikely that he will have another meaningful change of heart on gun control, instead opting to throw the spotlight on mental health and “school safety.” Late last year, after Las Vegas suffered the single largest mass shooting in modern American history, Trump stayed on message in the initial aftermath, and (only surprising because of his penchant for careening off-message in times of crisis) managed to stick to it.

“I don’t think it’s even about guns for him,” a senior Trump administration official told The Daily Beast at the time, regarding Trump’s symbiosis with the gun lobby. “[The] NRA put unprecedented support behind him… and that’s the kind of thing he remembers.”

Trump Jr., a gun-rights advocate and hunting enthusiast, had previously stated he would not get directly involved in his dad’s administration. However, that doesn’t mean he doesn’t wield influence. The Trump son has for years acted as a conduit for pro-gun activists looking to influence or support his father’s political agenda. Early on in the Trump era, he was slated to play a critical role with the president’s advisory group on guns, and had previously been a prominent ally of business interests pushing gun-silencer legislation on Capitol Hill. And this weekend, he reasserted himself in his position as one of President Trump’s unofficial counselors on weaponry and gun culture.

But on Monday, the White House at least gave the appearance of a softening of tone, if not on actual policy or substance, on the matter.

“The president spoke to Senator [John] Cornyn on Friday about the bipartisan bill he and Sen. [Chris] Murphy introduced to improve Federal Compliance with Criminal Background Check Legislation,” press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders wrote in a statement sent out on Monday morning. “While discussions are ongoing and revisions are being considered, the president is supportive of efforts to improve the federal background check system.”

It’s a carefully worded statement that shows the Trump administration not committing to anything, as “discussions” and changes continue for an indefinite period of time. Sen. Murphy, a Democrat, himself tweeted Monday that the bill by itself is hardly an “adequate response” to the mass shooting in Parkland.

In the meantime, the White House plans to hold a “listening session” with Trump on Wednesday, and announced that it would include teachers and students from Florida. Two days out from the scheduled event, the White House still won’t confirm whether or not this session will even include students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

“We’ll be sending more info later on to all,” White House principal deputy press secretary Raj Shah simply told The Daily Beast on Monday, when asked if students or survivors from that high school would participate.

Students and parents of the victims told The Daily Beast last week they do not want anything to do with President Trump, and hope he stays far away from their grieving community. Trump did visit a nearby hospital on Friday that was treating wounded students, but dedicated most of his excursion to holding a smiling praise-fest with law enforcement, first responders, and staff before heading back to Mar-a-Lago.

Students and their family who wished the president would come to them said they only wanted him to visit so they could give him a piece of their mind.

“If Donald Trump wants to listen to us, he should have taken the first invitation [to come to a town hall],” survivor Alex Wind told CNN on Monday. “We are not going to come to him. He is going to need to come to us.” (On Wednesday, CNN is hosting a town-hall event that is set to feature Parkland survivors. Trump had turned down an invitation to participate.)

Emma Gonzalez, another survivor, argued that Trump’s planned “listening session” was just another way for the president to avoid enraged students. “He’s scared of us and… he doesn’t want to have to face us,” she said.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#1]
He is.  Today.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:31:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Don Jr is a savage.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:31:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Don Jr isn't president.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#4]
That article was posted at 4 in the morning. Some stuff has happened since then.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah....looks like he didn't listen.

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Reuters via Yahoo is reporting that an age limit to buy an AR-15 (or this "juvenile assault weapons ban" as this article puts it) is on the table.

We'll see what happens. I can't see the NRA or the average gun owner pitching a fit over banning bump stocks or boosting the age to own a so called "assault weapon" to 21, like handguns.

I don't support it, and I hope he stays strong, but if that were all he did then I have to admit that it would not cost him my vote in 2020. The left would do far worse if they were in power.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Reuters via Yahoo is reporting that an age limit to buy an AR-15 (or this "juvenile assault weapons ban" as this article puts it) is on the table.

We'll see what happens. I can't see the NRA or the average gun owner pitching a fit over banning bump stocks or boosting the age to own a so called "assault weapon" to 21, like handguns.

I don't support it, and I hope he stays strong, but if that were all he did then I have to admit that it would not cost him my vote in 2020. The left would do far worse if they were in power.
View Quote
I'm highly disappointed in Trump. He gains nothing supporting gun control. Is the media going to start cheering him for doing what they want? Of course not, they will be shouting the loudest about how Trump broke his campaign promises and then going after him for not doing enough.

I thought Trump was smarter than this. He was still the only person who could get the grassroots support to overcome the media and beat Hillary but there is no reason to cheer him doing this.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:47:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Did he ban thumbs in beltloops?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#9]
How about we just calm down for a bit and see what this is, huh?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm highly disappointed in Trump. He gains nothing supporting gun control. Is the media going to start cheering him for doing what they want? Of course not, they will be shouting the loudest about how Trump broke his campaign promises and then going after him for not doing enough.

I thought Trump was smarter than this. He was still the only person who could get the grassroots support to overcome the media and beat Hillary but there is no reason to cheer him doing this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He’s probably got a plan. He probably knows it won’t oass Congress because of dem votes or some shit and he’ll say see! Look at these hypocrites. I tried but your dems shut it down.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:59:13 PM EDT
[#11]
MAGA
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:00:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He’s probably got a plan. He probably knows it won’t oass Congress because of dem votes or some shit and he’ll say see! Look at these hypocrites. I tried but your dems shut it down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully it's similar to his I'll work with the dems on the dreamers . As long as they stick to the definition of machine as more than one shot per trigger function I don't think anything  will happen.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Get out of here with your logic and reason!
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Take a look at what the Obama administration accomplished and think about what I've highlighted...

They had it all and got nothing accomplished.  How are we about to ban more stuff and raise the age to purchase under Republican leadership?  How is this happening!?!  

Eta: MAGA, Don't let me down!
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It should be filled with poison pills that benefit gun owners..............if they want their portion, they have to give us something in exchange that is better
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

[/b][/i]

Take a look at what the Obama administration accomplished and think about what I've highlighted...

They had it all and got nothing accomplished.  How are we about to ban more stuff and raise the age to purchase under Republican leadership?  How is this happening!?!  

View Quote
You aren't wrong.

I'm not happy about this.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:14:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Don Jr isn't president.
View Quote
Does he have DJT's ear?  Do you?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Too late, he done wobbled
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Did he ban thumbs in beltloops?
View Quote
They'll ban semi-auto so your thumbs and belt loops
don't work anymore.  This is a step closer.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#20]
His father already listened.

The memo and the Sanders statement are political non-answers.  Trump told the DOJ to do what they were doing and added some flourish to it, Sanders gave a political non-answer to a question intended to become "why do you want to murder children?"

Still supporting Trump.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#21]
anything they do will just be feel good appeasement BS that is an infringement on our rights and will do absolutely nothing to stop mental assholes
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obama could do anything he wanted to without repercussions.

Trump can't do anything he wants to do without repercussions.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
I just got back from the VA Clinic.  What happened today?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:23:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#25]
DJTJ24 KAGS
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:44:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nothing apart from the GD Chicken Littles having their usual freak-out session.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:45:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Good to here
I am sick to death of the B.S.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#28]
“If Donald Trump wants to listen to us, he should have taken the first invitation [to come to a town hall],” survivor Alex Wind told CNN on Monday. “We are not going to come to him. He is going to need to come to us.”
View Quote
The President of your country wants to meet with you and you spit in his face. Disrespectful little cocksucker.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#29]
BS he told him give them bump stocks those are gay dad, we can afford FA. pew pew pew is for the peasants.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
all the never trumpers and underscore brothers have already worn their dicks to bloody nubs even though they have been wrong every single time.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OK.  Thanks for buyin' me a vowel
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:02:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It should be filled with poison pills that benefit gun owners..............if they want their portion, they have to give us something in exchange that is better
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What if he works out a deal for 21 to buy a rifle but national reciprocity or something? Still an infringement but would y’all support something like that? That’s a tough call because the 2nd is black and white but in today’s reality...
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:04:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I nominate Don Jr for the head of the ATF. Can I get a second?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:04:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

all the never trumpers and underscore brothers have already worn their dicks to bloody nubs even though they have been wrong every single time.
View Quote
I'm none of the above and I'm very unhappy about this.

However, looking at the text of the proclamation, he instructed the ATF to divert all available resources to come up with their determination of what makes a machinegun as quick as possible, and to the letter of the law.

That gives me hope.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Good to know that Don Jr. has our backs and has been appealing to his father on our behalf.  He is 100% correct on this!  Let's hope his father is wise enough to listen.

Don Jr. Advises President Trump After School Shooting: Don’t Go Wobbly on Guns
In the wake of the school shooting in Parkland, Florida, young survivors issued a call to action to President Trump, but his eldest son is telling him not to listen.

https://img.thedailybeast.com/image/upload/c_crop,d_placeholder_euli9k,h_1440,w_2560,x_0,y_0/dpr_2.0/c_limit,w_740/fl_lossy,q_auto/v1519094790/180219-Suebsaeng-trump-gun-lede_oyqsut
https://www.thedailybeast.com/don-jr-advises-president-trump-post-parkland-dont-go-wobbly-on-guns?ref=home

As President Donald Trump surveys aides and guests at his resort at Mar-a-Lago about what to do about gun control in the wake of another school shooting, one voice close to him is advising that he not give in to those calling for stricter measures.

Donald Trump Jr., the president’s eldest son, has been assuring his dad that the right move was to stay strong on gun rights and draw a hard line on the issue that helped propel him in the 2016 election. He is among the host of people talking to the president in the wake of the massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, which resulted in the death of 17 people. But the fact that he is family makes his access more personal and his guidance more trusted.

For those hoping to turn the latest national tragedy into a robust legislative response on guns, this isn’t a good thing. While some friends have urged Trump to adopt a more balanced approach, or even for the revival of an assault-weapons ban, Trump Jr. has argued that there was no time for even a hint of reversion to the more restrictive views on guns that Trump espoused years before he became leader of the Republican Party.

According to three sources with knowledge of their conversations, the president and Trump Jr. repeatedly discussed gun control over the long Presidents’ Day weekend, often as they both closely watched a TV airing footage in real-time of young Parkland students savaging the president for his inaction.

When polled on his opinions on the matter, the first son emphatically replied that the president must not waver on his pro-gun stance, whatever the impassioned calls for reform. Trump Jr., according to these sources, reminded his father that inching toward gun control would be immediately taken by his conservative base—as well as major donors and motivated activist networks, including the National Rifle Association—as an unforgivable betrayal.

Eric Trump, his middle son, readily agreed.

But not everyone at Mar-a-Lago on Saturday nodded along. That evening, President Trump and his two sons had dinner with Fox News personality Geraldo Rivera, who is pushing Trump to support, as Rivera calls it, a new “Juvenile Assault Weapons Ban” as a “compromise all can live with,” and as “a start” to fixing the problem.

Trump Jr. and Eric Trump did not respond to requests for comment on this story.

But those close to President Trump, in and outside of the administration, generally view it as unlikely that he will have another meaningful change of heart on gun control, instead opting to throw the spotlight on mental health and “school safety.” Late last year, after Las Vegas suffered the single largest mass shooting in modern American history, Trump stayed on message in the initial aftermath, and (only surprising because of his penchant for careening off-message in times of crisis) managed to stick to it.

“I don’t think it’s even about guns for him,” a senior Trump administration official told The Daily Beast at the time, regarding Trump’s symbiosis with the gun lobby. “[The] NRA put unprecedented support behind him… and that’s the kind of thing he remembers.”

Trump Jr., a gun-rights advocate and hunting enthusiast, had previously stated he would not get directly involved in his dad’s administration. However, that doesn’t mean he doesn’t wield influence. The Trump son has for years acted as a conduit for pro-gun activists looking to influence or support his father’s political agenda. Early on in the Trump era, he was slated to play a critical role with the president’s advisory group on guns, and had previously been a prominent ally of business interests pushing gun-silencer legislation on Capitol Hill. And this weekend, he reasserted himself in his position as one of President Trump’s unofficial counselors on weaponry and gun culture.

But on Monday, the White House at least gave the appearance of a softening of tone, if not on actual policy or substance, on the matter.

“The president spoke to Senator [John] Cornyn on Friday about the bipartisan bill he and Sen. [Chris] Murphy introduced to improve Federal Compliance with Criminal Background Check Legislation,” press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders wrote in a statement sent out on Monday morning. “While discussions are ongoing and revisions are being considered, the president is supportive of efforts to improve the federal background check system.”

It’s a carefully worded statement that shows the Trump administration not committing to anything, as “discussions” and changes continue for an indefinite period of time. Sen. Murphy, a Democrat, himself tweeted Monday that the bill by itself is hardly an “adequate response” to the mass shooting in Parkland.

In the meantime, the White House plans to hold a “listening session” with Trump on Wednesday, and announced that it would include teachers and students from Florida. Two days out from the scheduled event, the White House still won’t confirm whether or not this session will even include students from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

“We’ll be sending more info later on to all,” White House principal deputy press secretary Raj Shah simply told The Daily Beast on Monday, when asked if students or survivors from that high school would participate.

Students and parents of the victims told The Daily Beast last week they do not want anything to do with President Trump, and hope he stays far away from their grieving community. Trump did visit a nearby hospital on Friday that was treating wounded students, but dedicated most of his excursion to holding a smiling praise-fest with law enforcement, first responders, and staff before heading back to Mar-a-Lago.

Students and their family who wished the president would come to them said they only wanted him to visit so they could give him a piece of their mind.

“If Donald Trump wants to listen to us, he should have taken the first invitation [to come to a town hall],” survivor Alex Wind told CNN on Monday. “We are not going to come to him. He is going to need to come to us.” (On Wednesday, CNN is hosting a town-hall event that is set to feature Parkland survivors. Trump had turned down an invitation to participate.)

Emma Gonzalez, another survivor, argued that Trump’s planned “listening session” was just another way for the president to avoid enraged students. “He’s scared of us and… he doesn’t want to have to face us,” she said.
View Quote
View Quote
Uh or you are 14-17 year old kids and can't vote so your opinion basically means jack shit. Bitch at your parents and get them to vote with your opinion in mind. Other than that, STFU.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:07:35 PM EDT
[#36]
DJT Jr. please keep up the 2A fight
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Trump isn't going to turn a hundred million of his supporters into felons. That's crazy talk.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah I'm out of the loop.  What's going on?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Trump isn't going to turn a hundred million of his supporters into felons. That's crazy talk.
View Quote
This

I would say an AWB is out of the picture. That would be pure lunacy.

I think smaller regulations are a possibility such as an age limit increase, etc.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Disagree there Holmes.
Democrats hell.

With all the WEAK ASS LIBERALS we call Republicans-they'll ban all the guns they can.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:12:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yeah I'm out of the loop.  What's going on?
View Quote
Trump re-opened the AWB and the ATF is already collecting bump stocks.

Please go to the nearest FEMA camp to be re-educated.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Trump/Trump Jr 2020
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:13:17 PM EDT
[#45]
If they increase the age limit you should not be considered and adult. Until your at that age to buy Gun. No voting.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:14:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
His father already listened.

The memo and the Sanders statement are political non-answers.  Trump told the DOJ to do what they were doing and added some flourish to it, Sanders gave a political non-answer to a question intended to become "why do you want to murder children?"

Still supporting Trump.
View Quote
My god there is hope.  This guy gets it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
You mean he's encouraging congress to re-enact the 1994 "Assault Weapon" and "magazine" ban??? Until he does, crawl back under the rock.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#49]
I think they were already on their way to getting banned, and Trump is using this to make it seem like it was his idea so the democraps ease up on him. I don't know, it's still crappy and I wonder what else is down the pipe
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#50]
“Juvenile Assault Weapons Ban” as a “compromise all can live with,” and as “a start” to fixing the problem.

WTF is a Juvenile AW Ban.

Don Jr can talk in one ear of Dad but it disappears once this one whispers in the other.

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top