Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2018 9:33:03 AM EDT
Our 6 month old Lab pup is a drywall destroying machine. I've caught him in the act over a dozen times. Everytime I've caught him in the act I yell NO! to startle him. After a lot of times hitting the same patch of drywall I combined a loud no with a two fingered slap across the bridge of his nose. I don't believe in hitting dogs but I'm at my wits end. Anybody dealt with this successfully or have any advice?
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I call mine a 'labragoat'. They eat things...mine grew out of it after a couple years, but constant supervision was the only way to get her to not eat the house.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#2]
bitter apple spray on his fav area
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 11:56:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Good luck. I couldn't stop mine until he chewed right to an outlet. I am assuming he got a good shock. He won't even go near the area now.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 11:57:57 AM EDT
[#4]
We had a freak of a dog that ate all the foam and vinyl off of a couch we had in the basement, ate a bunch of pink fiberglass insulation from the wall in the basement stairwell, and ate a length of 2x4 he found in dads basement shop.  How he didn't die after ingesting all that is a mystery.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 12:19:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good luck. I couldn't stop mine until he chewed right to an outlet. I am assuming he got a good shock. He won't even go near the area now.
View Quote
So....you're saying that aversion therapy works?  
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Try a water gun every time he gets near it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#7]
better diet and give him a toy out of your laundry basket that has sat in their with your clothes. rotate the toys like nyloc bones and kongs and give him a fresh smelling toy whenever you are not going to be watching him.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 12:50:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Labs belong outside and they will still chew off the side of your house.  That's what labs do.  You could start training him to retrieve. He just has a lot of energy and is trapped inside.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Before I clicked on this I KNEW it was going to be a LAB.

Well all puppies chew things, some more than others. They need lots of chew toys. Get some of the Kongs you can stuff treats in. Is he doing it with you in the room? Get him an X-pen to barricade him off. Kennel train them now so it saves your place later.  My wife runs a vet clinic and the top breed for "foreign body surgery" is .......the Labrador. Kennel them for their own safety when you are not home.

That being said Labs are great dogs, minus the chewing.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Step 1) Get a cat
Step 2) Let dog clean cat box for you

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Our 6 month old Lab pup is a drywall destroying machine. I've caught him in the act over a dozen times. Everytime I've caught him in the act I yell NO! to startle him. After a lot of times hitting the same patch of drywall I combined a loud no with a two fingered slap across the bridge of his nose. I don't believe in hitting dogs but I'm at my wits end. Anybody dealt with this successfully or have any advice?
View Quote
If a puppy isn't eating, drinking, peeing, pooping, or sleeping, guess what...  at least 90% of it's time is spent CHEWING.  That's just what puppies do.

You need to redirect it to getting them to chew on things that are OK to chew on.  Give them all the chewies they want.  And, KEEP THEM FROM GETTING USED TO CHEWING ON THE DRYWALL.  Put it in a pen when you can't watch it if you need to.   Get them redirected onto positive stuff!

Also, you should already be training... getting them used to "yes" and "no".   When they chew on drywall, interrupt, redirect them to something positive, then "yes" them for the positive behavior.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I call mine a 'labragoat'. They eat things...mine grew out of it after a couple years, but constant supervision was the only way to get her to not eat the house.
View Quote
My neighbor's lab would eat whole apricots, then have to pass the pits.    It also ate an entire car seat in the guy's garage, and would poop foam rubber.  Labs, such great dogs, but not always the brightest.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:01:57 AM EDT
[#13]
My female Presa pup was doing the same thing for awhile. I don't have a problem physically disciplining my dogs when appropriate.

After about the third hole in the drywall the belt came out. She stopped after that.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 3:04:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Hot sauce worked for my dog. She stopped chewing carpets and wall corners for good after that.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Cayenne pepper smeared into the leading edge of the chew spot. Broke the one dog I've had that started that nonsense
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top