Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/19/2019 10:11:28 PM EDT
Here in Portland as the years go on the speed limits on any given road keep getting lower and lower.

Freeways are kept at 55mph and neighborhood roads stay at 20-25mph but all the other roads have dropped 5-10mph over the last 5-10 years.

So in 20 years every road will be 25mph?
Not only that 2 lane roads are turning into 1 lane roads.

Is this what all cities do over time or it is just liberal cities like mine who I feel are trying to push tax payers out of their vehicles?
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Portland lol
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 10:14:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Some roads that used to be 55 or 45 are now 10mph lower, but I guess that's development for you.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 10:20:51 PM EDT
[#3]
They changed the speed limit on a road here from 25 to 35

Small town, and the improvement was much needed.

25 mph is way too slow on a road leading into town.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 10:29:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes. And getting rid of passing zones.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 10:30:16 PM EDT
[#5]
No, they just bumped 3 highways from 60 to 65.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 10:32:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Some 2000 miles of Cnty Road here just went from 55 to 60.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#7]
They raised most speeds here.   The only place they lowered was a big arterial that was 50mph then went down to 45 and finally 40.   People kept wanting a school zone on it but it never happened so they lowered the 50 to 45 and then it goes to 40.   It really didn't need a school zone its fairly far from a school.  Our interstate between the largest 2 cities is 75mph.   They also raised some divided highways from 60 to 65mph.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 10:34:02 PM EDT
[#8]
A few years back they raised the main road through town from 25 to 30. It was 2 lanes each way with a center turn lane. Shitbag cops would pull people over for doing 2-3 mph over. If you did 23-24 you would get pulled over for holding up traffic.

They loved targeting teenagers. Last I heard the city got their shit pushed in for it a number of years ago and then the speed limit was raised to 30.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 10:41:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Here in Portland as the years go on the speed limits on any given road keep getting lower and lower.

Freeways are kept at 55mph and neighborhood roads stay at 20-25mph but all the other roads have dropped 5-10mph over the last 5-10 years.

Is this what all cities do over time or it is just liberal cities like mine who I feel are trying to push tax payers out of their vehicles?
View Quote
Had an 8hr symposium on various forms of mass transit several weeks ago.  What you said was never explicitly said there but EVERY SINGLE PICTURE shown of the utopia was a liberal city.

Their idea is more people can move about using less space if people use mass transit or walk.  The mass transit part has them giving buses, etc exclusive lanes, meaning less lanes for normal vehicular traffic. They will go so far as to allow buses the ability to control signals to a degree.  This allows them to move about quicker, with only "some" added delay to normal cars.

The lowering speed thing is to promote the use of areas historically designated as buffer zones for vehicles that errant leave the road way a safe way to do so.  Now they want wider sidewalks there so people can walk, so lower the speeds to make things "safer" for them.

You really got a feel for who the planners and engineers were in the room.  IMO, these things work fine in extremely dense areas where people are okay with and expect someone else to take care of them, problem is they want to push it on those that want to come and go as they please.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 10:55:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Liberals want 15mph speed limit all over town.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 10:57:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Ha Speed Limits
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Isn't that how you stop speeding?

Or is it how you increase revenue by stopping slower-going cars as the limit drops?
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:11:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Yup it down to 25 now
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:12:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Best way to raise money.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:13:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
For the bike lane, right? It's so stupid.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:15:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Been the same here for over 30 years.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:16:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes and yes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:20:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Not even a little.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:20:43 AM EDT
[#19]
No. They have upped them a bit though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:26:31 AM EDT
[#20]
The logic i heard from a Portland city official was that reducing vehicle speeds, increases the odds that a vehicle-pedestrian encounters become non-lethal.

What happened to looking both ways?

Plus you have to slow regular traffic down so that mass transit pencils out.

Portland is ranked 10th in the nation for the worst traffic.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:29:29 AM EDT
[#21]
I heard on the radio that Portland is considering not allowing permits for single family homes, based on location.
They think this will make homes more affordable for the "less fortunate".

All about density.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:32:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The logic i heard from a Portland city official was that reducing vehicle speeds, increases the odds that a vehicle-pedestrian encounters become non-lethal.

What happened to looking both ways?

Plus you have to slow regular traffic down so that mass transit pencils out.

Portland is ranked 10th in the nation for the worst traffic.
View Quote
PBOT ranks POVs last on traffic priority.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:33:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Dont know, I don't pay attention I speed everywhere
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:40:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Good, hope they keep lowering it. People act like the public roadways are their private race tracks. If I want to go fast, I go out on my ATV or snowmobile and rip across the fields. That's the place for going fast, not on the roads where my family gets from point A to B.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:50:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I heard on the radio that Portland is considering not allowing permits for single family homes, based on location.
They think this will make homes more affordable for the "less fortunate".

All about density.
View Quote
What's funny is these kinds of things have the opposite effect.

They're also putting a 7% cap on yearly increases on rent and all that's going to do is cause a supply issues and landlords will just now up it 7% every year to protect futures.

Of course there is no law being passed to put a cap on property tax increases.

This city is so retarded. And the retards just keep voting retards into office.
The cycle continues.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 12:52:40 AM EDT
[#26]
The war on traffic will be won any day now
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:00:37 AM EDT
[#27]
No, it's been the opposite here.  The MSP went through and did a study and went thru and raised a bunch of speed limits.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:01:08 AM EDT
[#28]
One of the most heavily traveled streets in Idaho, Eagle Road has a 55mph limit. Most rural roads are 50mph.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:04:49 AM EDT
[#29]
We got a raise from 55 to 65 near my town.  Long desolate stretch in the U.P. of MI.  Everyone went 65+ on it anyways.

Years ago I was going 70+mph in a wrecker on that stretch and a county cop passed me and was out of sight within 3 minutes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:07:52 AM EDT
[#30]
No but they are narrowing streets when they redo them for multiple reasons like it's cheaper, less road to plow and all the big cities are doing it. Oh and they still allow on street parking on them so you can only get one car down the road at a time.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:10:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Highway 1 in Alexandria, yes. Actually all of NoVa is fucked.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:15:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Good! Portland is accommodating for bicycles and pedestrians.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:16:10 AM EDT
[#33]
invest in a 100 dollar radar detector....problem solved
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:19:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Had an 8hr symposium on various forms of mass transit several weeks ago.  What you said was never explicitly said there but EVERY SINGLE PICTURE shown of the utopia was a liberal city.

Their idea is more people can move about using less space if people use mass transit or walk.  The mass transit part has them giving buses, etc exclusive lanes, meaning less lanes for normal vehicular traffic. They will go so far as to allow buses the ability to control signals to a degree.  This allows them to move about quicker, with only "some" added delay to normal cars.

The lowering speed thing is to promote the use of areas historically designated as buffer zones for vehicles that errant leave the road way a safe way to do so.  Now they want wider sidewalks there so people can walk, so lower the speeds to make things "safer" for them.

You really got a feel for who the planners and engineers were in the room.  IMO, these things work fine in extremely dense areas where people are okay with and expect someone else to take care of them, problem is they want to push it on those that want to come and go as they please.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And use your own tax dollars to force the implementation upon you.  Austin has added tons of bike lanes and walking paths, to the detriment of street lanes, which no one uses because it’s hot as F during the summer and no one wants to be all sweaty every damn time they go somewhere.  Traffic congestion is awful so the solution? How about we take the existing 3 lanes, squish them together some so we can make a forth lane that’s a TOLL lane... f’n brilliant.  Austin tax payers have been pouring money into a bus program that loses millions each year.  Now they’re talking about a train system in town and giving incentives to developers to build low rent housing near the proposed train path to increase density (with tax incentives and waivers on minimum parking spots and max #of floors).

It’s a shot show — So glad I got out of there
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:20:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Not where I live.

The highest speed limit in my neck of the woods is 85mph and I regularly drive on the 80mph highway sections where most cars are cruising in the mid 80s to low 90s and its not uncommon to have to hit triple digits in order to pass.

On the 85 mph areas you better be comfortable with driving 90mph or you are going to be a potential road hazard.  Its crazy to me when I see folks trying to drive 65mph on a 85mph highway and getting passed by people going 95 (or more).
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:28:04 AM EDT
[#36]
In Vegas, a red light isnt even a suggestion to stop, it is just some annoying light that everyone ignores.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 1:30:14 AM EDT
[#37]
TX. 75 mph in most places in my neck of the woods with a few areas by Austin that have 85 mph.

Traffic flows just fine here, go out of state though and people act like their car will fly off the road and crash if they go 56 in a 55.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 5:00:41 AM EDT
[#38]
my areas keeps dropping them because 45MPH means 65 for most drivers. so if they drop it to 30 then 45 will be the norm. blame it on the speeders and the wrecks they cause
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 6:06:03 AM EDT
[#39]
If they have it's not working here.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 6:08:01 AM EDT
[#40]
My current city has no speed limit. My city in the US...they've been mostly static. I can think of 1-2 that were raised by 5-10mph, but not lowered.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 6:37:27 AM EDT
[#41]
city im a cop in has actually upped the speed limit on a few of the roads in town that were too low to begin with. A couple went from 30 to 45.

J-
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 6:38:20 AM EDT
[#42]
double tap
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:12:52 AM EDT
[#43]
No, but they've dumbed down damn near every intersection for our snowbird population. Most lights, you can't even legally turn left on a green light anymore. Infuriating.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:31:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Portland is a C40 city, so, yes.

They do want you out of your car.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:56:13 AM EDT
[#45]
You would not believe the number of people who complain about speeding.
After a while the limits get dropped to pacify them. In my town 4-way and
3-way stops are common as a way to slow traffic.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Wait until they completely eliminate your ability to drive a vehicle in Portland.

No...not kidding. They talk like that.

The other angle is revenue. Lower speed limits=$$$
All in the name of public safety of course.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:02:29 AM EDT
[#47]
A small town did it near me and by the city councils own meetings it was done to increase revenue from tickets. Tyrone Georgia is the speed trap you seek. Now Senioa wanted to not be a speed trap so they made the city ordinance tickets for a tail light or tag light our an over $200 ticket.  There are many levels to the traffic revenue game.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:06:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Remember, speed limits are so that the biggest idiot driver should be able to drive safely.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:09:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Speed limits are tyranny.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:24:08 AM EDT
[#50]
They need raised all over around me. 2 lane roads are 45, and highway 55.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top