Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2021 2:52:48 PM EDT
I've got a 25 years old truck that idles funky sometimes and was told to put seafoam in the gas ever so often.
This really do anything or is it snake oil?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've got a 25 years old truck that idles funky sometimes and was told to put seafoam in the gas ever so often.
This really do anything or is it snake oil?
View Quote

Out of the 15 times or so in my lifetime where I've had a carb clogged up on a mower, tiller, chainsaw, atv, etc, etc........I'd say that at least 10 of those times, running a heavy dose of Seafoam through the carb was enough to clean the junk out of the jets and get the motor running better.  A few times I still had to pull the carb to clean it, but I always try seafoam first....it works (most of the time).

I had a mower once that wouldn't idle at all....probably had the low speed jet clogged in the carb.  It would run like crap at full throttle, and die if you tried to idle it.  I dumped a whole can of seafoam in the tank, fired it up, and maxed the throttle. After about 2min it started to smooth out and gain RPM and run faster, and faster....after about 10min I backed the throttle down to an idle, and it idles nice and smooth.  

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#2]
25 year old truck?

Something to consider is shit like capacitors going bad in the ECU causing sensors to not reference correctly.

I have a 95 Cobra that is running inconsistently as hell.   Gonna pull ECU and check the 3-4 capacitors that may potentially be bad and replace them.

Hoping to regain my high speed fan again as well, it stopped working despite a new CCRM and all fuses check out.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#3]
My Tacoma started to idle a little rough, so I tried it.  (First time user)

I used 2 bottles when I filled the truck up last week.   The slight miss or whatever seems to be gone.

It’s not very expensive, so why not try it?
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#4]
It is mainly alcohol.  

It doesn't hurt...but it isn't magic.  I run some through my small engines once a year.  I can't say it really helps but I can't say it hurts anything either.  

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:18:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone that douts seafoam need to watch this.

Seafoam--can't believe what it did to my engine!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't see any change in mpg (2001 Tundra 200k + miles)
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't tried seafoam, but I did try the berryman b12 stuff and it worked like magic on my old expedition.

Poured one bottle in a half full tank and it started running noticeably better.   That being said, it does sit a lot.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a mixture of Seafoam, Marvel Mystery Oil, and Stabil, in all of my small engines, I add it to the gasoline bulk tank before dispensing to the small tanks on weed eater, chainsaws, lawn mowers, and tillers. I never have had fuel or carburetor issues on any of my equipment. The shit just works.

Every so often I put some (Seafoam) in the gas tanks of the cars and trucks around the house, especially the old truck that doesn't get used or run as often as it needs to be.

So for me it works, but your mileage may vary.....

Edit-spelling
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#9]
This has got my interest, next week I'm purchasing a 1977 Ford F100 with the straight six.  I do know that back in those days, ethanol in gas wasn't even a thought.

I also remember back in the day, I was buying a lead additive for my '69 Land Rover because of potential valve seat recession while using unleaded gas.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#10]
My go to is Seafoam, followed closely by Berryman and Techron extra strength. All are good products IMO.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is mainly alcohol.  

It doesn't hurt...but it isn't magic.  I run some through my small engines once a year.  I can't say it really helps but I can't say it hurts anything either.  

View Quote

Naphtha
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Does seafoam really do anything if you put it in the gas?

it makes money for whatever company is selling it
it does nothing for your fuel or engine
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Naphtha
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is mainly alcohol.  

Naphtha

It’s pale oil, naphtha, and isopropyl alcohol. IIRC the isopropyl content is somewhere around 25%. It’s always funny that the people who scream about the horrors of alcohol in fuel also preach the wonders of Seafoam and the main cleaning component of Seafoam is.....alcohol. Run some ethanol gas if you want to clean your fuel system.....same thing but higher alcohol content than a bottle of Seafoam.

That said, since Seafoam contains alcohol, it can have some cleaning benefits. It MIGHT clean up a minor clog issue but it WILL NOT clean a major issue or fix something that is broken.

If you want something more effective at cleaning your fuel system, buy a fuel additive with PEA. It actually works very well to clean your fuel system....but again, it won’t fix something that is broken or a severely clogged system.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#14]
In the gas on a car I'd rather use something like Chevron Techron (in before Foxtrot calls me a dumbass for that).  I've had OK luck with seafoam/chemtool b12 on small engines, including pulling float bowls off and filling them.

I do have a good seafoam story: I got a somewhat neglected XJ jeep a few years ago, and before changing the plugs, I ran a can through the vacuum line.  It apparently pooled somewhere in the intake manifold, so when I started it there was a little smoke, but once I started moving, it was like a fog machine.  At the time, I lived next to a park, and basically fogged out a little league game.  One of my friends saw me a few minutes later, and called me to tell me my car was on fire.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Are Fuel Additives A JOKE? Find Out Here

Granted this is on lawn mower engines, but still does provide good info.  He does this every month for a full year.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In the gas on a car I'd rather use something like Chevron Techron (in before Foxtrot calls me a dumbass for that).  I've had OK luck with seafoam/chemtool b12 on small engines, including pulling float bowls off and filling them.

I do have a good seafoam story: I got a somewhat neglected XJ jeep a few years ago, and before changing the plugs, I ran a can through the vacuum line.  It apparently pooled somewhere in the intake manifold, so when I started it there was a little smoke, but once I started moving, it was like a fog machine.  At the time, I lived next to a park, and basically fogged out a little league game.  One of my friends saw me a few minutes later, and called me to tell me my car was on fire.
View Quote

They’re all naphtha solvents with some extras in it.

If something is varnished up, naphtha solvent, xylene, mineral spirits, white gas, zippo fluid, whatever. Will all get the varnish and any carbon up pretty much.

It’s certainly not magic sauce. Or any one brand. They literally all use the same basic materials in their own “trade secret” amounts.

Whether they work or not directly depends on the problem you have.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:40:44 PM EDT
[#17]
SeaFoam in small engines is a thing. Absolutely.

In a large engine, no experience.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:49:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Start truck, take vacuum line off brake booster, pour it in a little at a time (not too much or the truck will stall).
It will smoke out your neighborhood, but it will clean your intake.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:49:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I have used it in small engines works great to clean them out.  I also put in my 2007 Silverado just to keep it running smooth. Seems to help.  With an old truck like that couldn't hurt.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#20]
As mentioned. Depends on the issue. Have a truck that the fuel sending unit went bad. Too expensive to fix so let it go for 2-3 years like that. Decided to experiment with sea foam so bought a gallon and began heavy doses. (Like 2-3x recommended) before the gallon was out the sending unit started working.  At that time the gallon of sea foam was around $55.  Btw. It’s been 10 years since then and the sending unit still works.  

I use it extensively on my small engines and don’t seem to have any issues with ethanol gas.  It’s much cheaper per oz when you buy a gallon at a time and I usually have 1 or two gals around the place.

It’s not magic but it’s a solid tool to keep around.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#21]
If the vehicle has a throttle body I would suggest getting to that and cleaning.. especially the down stream side of the valve. Of note, SeaFoam make a product called Deep Creep that works well as a TB cleaner.
I've used SeaFoam as a preventive. I did over-dose a mower once that was bitching... it quite bitching.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#22]
At a 24 hours of lemons race a year or so ago the team next to us decided to seafoam their neglected and horrible car after racing more or less successfully on Saturday.

They went through multiple fuel filters on Sunday, and stalled on track a few times, so it must have broken the crap in the tank loose.

Either that or their car sucked, it was a lemons race after all.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#23]
My stihl chainswa is hard to start. It sits for a year between uses normally. Will seafoam work on 2 strokes or is it a no no
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My stihl chainswa is hard to start. It sits for a year between uses normally. Will seafoam work on 2 strokes or is it a no no
View Quote
I've used it in 2 strokes, but on a nice saw, I'd probably throw a new carb in it, and use ethanol free gas.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:34:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Seafoam is primarily white spirits and isopropanol.

Read the SDS (Safety Data Sheet) published by the Seafoam company.

Seafoam SDS

White spirits is another name for mineral spirits... the same stuff used to thin paint and clean paint brushes.

The current SDS calls it a hydrocarbon blend.
Years ago I read their SDS and it was mostly "white spirits".

Can it help?
Yes... in some instances. Fouled/gummed carburetors in small engines are its strong point.

Is it a magic fix-all?
Oh hell no.

You're better off using ethanol-free gas and a fuel stabilizer in small engines.
The ethanol does REALLY BAD things to carburetors that are not used daily... or at least a few times a week.

Oh....
It is labelled as good-to-go in diesel engines.
FUCK THAT NOISE!!
Alcohol is bad news in diesels.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#26]
I have added Seafoam to the fuel in a boat motor, multiple lawn mowers, a weedwhacker, wood splitter, and every time it resulted in better starting, idling, and overall performance.  All of them either ran rough or would not keep running before the treatment.  Some of them took a few applications and tanks of fuel to get running better but in the end performance was improved.  I am sold on it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:21:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I use an oz or two in most every gal of 2 stroke mix I use. My saws and trimmers start decently easy after sitting for months. If they’re being used every month or so they start very easy.  Sea foam is also claimed to be a stabilizer.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:19:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
At a 24 hours of lemons race a year or so ago the team next to us decided to seafoam their neglected and horrible car after racing more or less successfully on Saturday.

They went through multiple fuel filters on Sunday, and stalled on track a few times, so it must have broken the crap in the tank loose.

Either that or their car sucked, it was a lemons race after all.
View Quote

Broke everything loose.

It’s mineral spirits. Any crud, it will break up.  Algae, varnish, carbon, funk, etc.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My go to is Seafoam, followed closely by Berryman and Techron extra strength. All are good products IMO.
View Quote

I've used all three but not in all my vehicles.

Doesn't go in my 4runner.

Jeep 4.0 I add Lucas or Techron every few tanks. It's an extra $8 for a weekend toy.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Broke everything loose.

It’s mineral spirits. Any crud, it will break up.  Algae, varnish, carbon, funk, etc.
View Quote

This is why I refuse to use it in my F150 Ecoboost cause I'd rather not have all that shit go through my turbos.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:08:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Rule of Thumb;  Ethanol Free Gas in small engines, doesn't hurt to add some SeaFoam once a year or so especially if you've used some shitty ethanol laced gas.

A couple of years ago my check engine light kept coming on in 2010 F150 (over 300,000 miles) Diagnostics showed nothing major so I add 16 ounces of SeaFoam every other fill up and the engine light hasn't come on since.  Not my daily driver so it sits at the farm more than on the road.  For me and this truck, SeaFoam seems to work.

I also use it in my 18 year old Kawasaki 4 Wheeler.  Sumbitch starts every time even in the cold and I neglect the shit out of it regarding most maintenance.  Hell, I should stop using SeaFoam in it so it dies and I have an excuse to buy a new one!  HA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top