Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2020 7:46:14 PM EDT
Im sure its been covered but im asking none the less.. Does armor go bad? I see it has expiration dates.. But i assume thats for shit being worn day in and day out..

If its sitting in my closet or bed side should i expect armor to be good past expiration?
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Liability expiration dates. Store it well and you’ll be good.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.

Plates?  Indefinite.

Soft Armor, just don't get it wet.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Liability expiration dates. Store it well and you’ll be good.
View Quote

The most abuse it gets is dust.. It sits in an air conditioned room 100% of the time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yes.

Plates?  Indefinite.

Soft Armor, just don't get it wet.
View Quote

Both and again the worst it gets is dust and its the south so moderate humidity with HVAC
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#5]
What brand and model? That makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Kevlar vests many, many years out of warranty still perform.  

Zylon vests would degrade in months, even in optimal storage conditions.  Even faster under harsher conditions.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:54:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Both and again the worst it gets is dust and its the south so moderate humidity with HVAC
View Quote

I would think it would be fine for a long time past expiration.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What brand and model? That makes a big difference.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:00:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I think there is a difference between warranty and expiration. Cars don't expire after 3 years/36000 miles.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#10]
there are some that feel the quality of the adhesive, binders, and materials used in the chinese made plates is questionable.

while they may perform properly new, over time, who knows?

U.S. made ones shouldn't have any problems with long term storage in a closet
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Factors for the soft armor:

1) Check it for holes. No holes means no moisture getting in, which is good.

2) Has it been creased or folded often?

If you haven't bent, folded, worn the soft armor a lot, and it has no holes in the liner, you should be perfectly fine.

With regard to the hard armor, that one strikes me as peculiar. For one, BulletProofMe doesn't manufacture anything. I'm surprised Nick would ever relabel something. The plate doesn't have an actual manufacturer's model number on it, a date, or who made it.

Can you show the front of the plate? I can usually tell at a glance who made a plate if I see how the nylon is applied. If you can show a corner as well, and whether the nylon is welded, seamed, or stitched, that's also helpful.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Factors for the soft armor:

1) Check it for holes. No holes means no moisture getting in, which is good.

2) Has it been creased or folded often?

If you haven't bent, folded, worn the soft armor a lot, and it has no holes in the liner, you should be perfectly fine.

With regard to the hard armor, that one strikes me as peculiar. For one, BulletProofMe doesn't manufacture anything. I'm surprised Nick would ever relabel something. The plate doesn't have an actual manufacturer's model number on it, a date, or who made it.

Can you show the front of the plate? I can usually tell at a glance who made a plate if I see how the nylon is applied. If you can show a corner as well, and whether the nylon is welded, seamed, or stitched, that's also helpful.
View Quote

I sure as hell can.. Standby  :-)
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Im sure its been covered but im asking none the less.. Does armor go bad? I see it has expiration dates.. But i assume thats for shit being worn day in and day out..

If its sitting in my closet or bed side should i expect armor to be good past expiration?
View Quote

Especially when worn weekly/daily... but soft panels for concealable armor are done for after 5 years.  The ceramic fibers degrade.

Hard panels, not so much.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#14]
And to be 110% upfront.. here is where im going.. The rona has added a couple inches to my mid section.. so my cummerbund doesn't fit. I need to order a new carrier. the question is do i need to order a new carrier or a new carier and armor.

Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:16:28 PM EDT
[#15]
and yes this is a Kyle thread.. Watching a dude get his arm vaporized made me look into my own shit.. Including armor and medical..

This is the way.. All praise Kyle
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
And to be 110% upfront.. here is where im going.. The rona has added a couple inches to my mid section.. so my cummerbund doesn't fit. I need to order a new carrier. the question is do i need to order a new carrier or a new carier and armor.

https://i.imgur.com/oX67QBH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/aYC58O1.jpg
View Quote

Those are LTC ICW plates. If you're just storing them in a closet until needed, they'll last 20 years.

Also, do you have a small pet?
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I used to have some european level III.  I dont even know where it is now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Especially when worn weekly/daily... but soft panels for concealable armor are done for after 5 years.  The ceramic fibers degrade.

View Quote

The above is misinformation that should be ignored.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#19]
and no.. No creases.. No folds no holes in soft armor..
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#20]
My dept sends old vests (soft armor) that expired to the lab for tests were we need the Kevlar panels. While I wouldn’t ever advocate a dept issuing expired Kevlar, in my experience even vests shot to hell, actually work very well as far as stopping bullets

ETA: I’ve shot tons of handguns rounds into soft armor, no exp doing the same to plates
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Those are LTC ICW plates. If you're just storing them in a closet until needed, they'll last 20 years.

Also, do you have a small pet?
View Quote

I got a yorkie that will eat your fucking face off dude..

If you give me your address ill send his ass to you!!

I got a boxer and a pit mix you would think would eat your face off.. Negative... My number 1 defender is the GD yorkie.. That little shit picked a fight with the 160 pound dobie across the street.. Hes got more balls than sense.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, not only can it go bad but throwing it out when it is bad/expired is a federal crime as the material used to make the armor is toxic.

Send it to me, I am a fully trained and an authorized/licensed FBI (Federated Body Inspector) and I will inspect it for you.

If the armor is bad I will safely and legally depose of it for you.

Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes, not only can it go bad but throwing it out when it is bad/expired is a federal crime as the material used to make the armor is toxic.

Send it to me, I am a fully trained and an authorized/licensed FBI (Federated Body Inspector) and I will inspect it for you.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're going to ask it questions?
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:22:28 PM EDT
[#24]
steel pretty much lasts forever.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:22:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

da fuq?
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Only if it’s Hesco cause they don’t give a fuck about you
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:24:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, this thread just might go places.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
steel pretty much lasts forever.
View Quote

I got a set of steel for the Mrs..

A lightweight set of ceramic for the kid..

and dad has the full monty.

ive been steadily upgrading and handing down
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:30:31 PM EDT
[#29]
I think most soft Kevlar vest have 5 year warranty. My old department replaced it every 5 years. At our range some 20-25 year old vest have been tested on dummies and worked every time. As for washing being discouraged I believe that is machine wash or using bleach or other hard detergents. Because if you've ever worn body armor for 12-16 hours in the summer you know it gets real wet. Water doesn't hurt it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#30]
It’s been years ago, when I was researching my purchase, I think it’s on one of my old laptops, but there is an extensive.gov agency test, FBI I think, of soft body armor.

The end results were; even first generation soft vests were still stopping bullets, 20-30 years after manufacture.

Found an interesting Canook Study
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:10:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I hope its still good it was issued to me in 04
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think most soft Kevlar vest have 5 year warranty. My old department replaced it every 5 years. At our range some 20-25 year old vest have been tested on dummies and worked every time. As for washing being discouraged I believe that is machine wash or using bleach or other hard detergents. Because if you've ever worn body armor for 12-16 hours in the summer you know it gets real wet. Water doesn't hurt it.
View Quote

You should never wash soft panels.

Of there is a hole in the liner, it will render the armor useless. If there isn't a hole, washing it might make one. Finally, the tumble cycle puts massive wear on the fibers.

The NIJ simulates years of wear by tumbling soft panels.

To reiterate, don't wash your soft panels.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I've shot the hell out of old soft Kevlar panel at least 12 years old maybe more. I have six of them. So I figured why not shoot one.

I shot it multiple times with everything from .22 up to 357 and 45 acp . I even shot it with a 50 cal muzzle loader at 100 yrs. Trust me, even though it did not penetrate the soft Kevlar panel. You do not want to get shot with a 50 cal muzzle loader.

But I still shoot it every now and then. I use it in my reloading room inside of a lined box with towels to test reloads. Nothing's gone through it yet.

I know one thing with soft armor you need a trauma plate or your screwed if you get hit in the chest around heart. You'll probably still die from a cardiac tamponade/blunt trauma to heart.

When I was in the military we used hard Kevlar panels we tested them with everything from 5.56 to 7.62

I like Kevlar hard panels they can take multiple hits also.

I do not know how long they last but the one I've shot. I put it through the ringer. I even put against a block wall on top of phone books where there was no give. At point blank and no penetration.

Oh yeah these were military Kevlar soft panels 10x12 and crotch panels

Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:19:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think there is a difference between warranty and expiration. Cars don't expire after 3 years/36000 miles.
View Quote

you know how I know you never owned a 1970s-era General Motors car?
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pfft.. Ive owned a Triumph TR6.. that bitches electrical was out of warranty on the lot
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:21:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I've shot kevlar vests that were up to 30 years old, on multiple occasions. Stopped everything they were rated for. Every time.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:24:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

My Ford Taurus did!
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#38]
When we disposed of a bunch of expired vests, I was told by the Dept buyer that the reason we got rid of them was DuPont would no longer warranty the fabric after that "expiration" date and we didn't want the liability if it failed on an officer, so we trashed them, literally, ( ), and bought new ones.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Pfft.. Ive owned a Triumph TR6.. that bitches electrical was out of warranty on the lot
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Electrics by Lucas, the people who invented darkness.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:51:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top