BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/27/2022 12:30:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:33:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a lead holder instead. I do a lot of drawing and these hold up forever- they have a sharpener in the end cap too - lots of leads available for a decent price.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I do like the Staedler lead holders. Especially if I'm out in the garage needing to cut some lumber or something.

My son had a request for some black pencils that seemed decent. I forgot what they were. But all thed stuff you buy at the store now a days is trash. Sharpen it and the lead breaks because there's like zero glue holding the pencil together.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Almost every wood pencil I buy doesn't sharpen right, lead falls out (yeah I know, it's graphite. thats what we always called it. Gen X'r)

Mechanical pencils suck. I am extremely lucky if I can write a whole sentence without the lead (yeah I know, it's graphite. thats what we always called it. Gen X'r) breaking apart.

I'm angry.... very very angry. Grrrrrrrr. (see?)
View Quote

For general writing, you want a Dixon Ticonderoga. They’re the good pencils you remember, and easy to find. Walmart has them.

For drawing - or if you just want the best possible wooden pencil - you want a Blackwing.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:42:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Ticonderoga
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe one of these is a good pencil?

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I do like the Staedler lead holders. Especially if I'm out in the garage needing to cut some lumber or something.

My son had a request for some black pencils that seemed decent. I forgot what they were. But all thed stuff you buy at the store now a days is trash. Sharpen it and the lead breaks because there's like zero glue holding the pencil together.
View Quote

There’s a line of the Derwent pencils that are black with a red stripe (I think ) that are pretty nice, they come in a tin too with the whole range of pencils 6B to 6H
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Rotring makes some pretty good mechanical pencils.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Almost every wood pencil I buy doesn't sharpen right, lead falls out (yeah I know, it's graphite. thats what we always called it. Gen X'r)

Mechanical pencils suck. I am extremely lucky if I can write a whole sentence without the lead (yeah I know, it's graphite. thats what we always called it. Gen X'r) breaking apart.

View Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaGxPwgR-Nw
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There’s a line of the Derwent pencils that are black with a red stripe (I think ) that are pretty nice, they come in a tin too with the whole range of pencils 6B to 6H
View Quote

That reminds me - OP, if you’re having issues with the lead for mechanical pencils breaking, there are two things you can do: get a thicker lead (0.7mm instead of 0.5mm; maybe even move up to 0.9mm or larger), or use a softer lead. Most lead is going to be “#2” (HB). Order some 2B lead in the right size and see how that does for you. It’ll write darker and won’t break as easily.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Pentel twist erase click 0.9mm. I bear down way harder than I should and don't have any issues with this one. Plus it has like a two inch eraser for all the fucking up I do.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Dixon Tigonderoga. Duh.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#12]
What are you wanting it for, Mr. Wick?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#13]
If you’re breaking mechanical pencil lead that often, there’s a problem with how you write.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't buy the pencils with skinny lead.

Pentel 0.9mm (I used these for years as a finish carpenter and I still do for home projects.)

Or

Graphgear 1000 0.9mm
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I immediately thought of pencil fighting!

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:58:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Blackwing 602. The Patek-Phillipe of pencils.

https://blackwing602.com/products/blackwing-602-set-of-12

I have a friend who has nearly everything he has ever wanted, and could probably afford to buy several small countries if he so desired. I was absolutely stumped for a birthday present, so I got him a box of these. On the birthday card I wrote, " I can't buy you a Beech Staggerwing or a classic Ferrari, but I did get you something which has a reputation for being the finest in the world: these Blackwing pencils". He said it was one of the most thoughtful gifts he'd received - and they really were kickass pencils for either writing or drawing.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:59:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I like the feel of a pencil in my hand, I use them exclusively making notes for myself.

Staedtler makes a nice conventional #2 lead (graphite) pencil. Several actually.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#18]

I have a friend who has nearly everything he has ever wanted, and could probably afford to buy several small countries if he so desired. I was absolutely stumped for a birthday present, so I got him a box of these. On the birthday card I wrote, " I can't buy you a Beech Staggerwing or a classic Ferrari, but I did get you something which has a reputation for being the finest in the world: these Blackwing pencils". He said it was one of the most thoughtful gifts he'd received - and they really were kickass pencils for either writing or drawing.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:04:52 PM EDT
[#19]
WTF - had an uncommanded double-tap, and the edit function refuses to allow an edit or delete. Sorry 'bout that.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

For general writing, you want a Dixon Ticonderoga. They're the good pencils you remember, and easy to find. Walmart has them.

For drawing - or if you just want the best possible wooden pencil - you want a Blackwing.
View Quote
Ticonderoga #2 is not the same as it was a number of years ago. Not made in the same country, out of the same wood, and not made the same way. Used to buy them by the case for the office, shop and field. Then one day they weren't the same.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Skillcraft No.3 Med. Hard.   Have to find them on Ebay.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:21:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ticonderoga #2 is not the same as it was a number of years ago. Not made in the same country, out of the same wood, and not made the same way. Used to buy them by the case for the office, shop and field. Then one day they weren't the same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For general writing, you want a Dixon Ticonderoga. They're the good pencils you remember, and easy to find. Walmart has them.

I get that, but I figure if he’s asking for advice on pencils, he never experienced the old ones. The new Ticonderogas are still as good or better than the typical pencils were years ago.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ticonderoga
View Quote

This, however you spell it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Zebra M.301.  Stainless steel body, very durable.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Ticonderoga No. 2

Pentel P205

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Go to jet pens and use their guides and reviews
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Attachment Attached File

Sometimes it's not the pencil

Every home should have one of these bolted to a wall somewhere. I keep mine in the garage.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Maybe you just know how to sharpen them correctly?

https://vimeo.com/60718161/description
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#31]
John Wick had a good one.

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Best I have found, use them daily.

" />
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:45:26 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm still pissed that Autopoint went out of business.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 1:54:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Blackwing pencils.
You’re welcome.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#37]
I really enjoy using a Rotring 600 or a Staedtler 925, both with some 2B .35mm leads. You don’t have to press so hard with the 2B, and after a while you get used to using less pressure.

That doesn’t really help you, though, unless you’re willing to give mechs another try, lol.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

When I clicked on this thread, I knew it was going to cost me money.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

For general writing, you want a Dixon Ticonderoga. They’re the good pencils you remember, and easy to find. Walmart has them.

View Quote

+1 for DT and Blackwing both.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 4:41:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ticonderoga
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Berol Torquoise (wood pencil)

Likely only find them in art supply or surveying supply and blueprint stores. Yeah I know nobody does blueprint anymore but I am talking a outfit that does large scale copy/printing for construction plans.

Just writing on paper you will want # 2H or #2.5H. A carpenter type or high pressure type of guy will want #3H or #4H.

Yeah , mechanical pencils with small diameter leads are snap-o-matics for the most part but the same art,survey,drafting supply will have lead holders that are designed for larger diameter leads . You will also need a special sharpener . the leads come in various hardness grades and colors also .The sharpener really only touches up the point of the lead so the 6" long lead will last a long time
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#42]
I am a Pentel .5, .7 mm person, been using these for years, as far back as 1976.   I would guesstamate I have over 50 mechanical pencils in my office....yeah I know it is crazy

I have the clear plastic Pilot mechanical pencil, I used to take my last exam when I graduated from engineering school....I walked out of the exam, put the pencil in my pocket and then into a safe spot when I got home and I have not used it since.  

Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:23:44 PM EDT
[#43]
What you seek can be found in the land of the rising sun.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Mirado black warrior
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Ticonderoga
Costco sells huge packs of them for teachers who are suckers and give out free pencils.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What are you wanting it for, Mr. Wick?
View Quote
a foooookin' peen a ceal?
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Ticonderoga
View Quote

Ticonderoga isn't what they used to be.  1 out of 10 will have the graphite off center and no amount of sharpening will make it a usable pencil.  

Granted they are better than the cheap office brands, but don't expect to relive your childhood with them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's where you're wrong.

This pencil is almost 20 years old.
Attachment Attached File

I use it for writing, obviously, but it's good for marking wood cuts, hanging pictures, etc.

I don't know if the internals have changed much, but you can still buy the same pencil today.
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/27/2022 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#50]
https://smile.amazon.com/Ticonderoga-Wood-Cased-Graphite-Pencils-13872/dp/B00125Q75Y

/thread

Use them in my classes for my students.  Never had an issue … ever.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top