Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/30/2020 4:13:51 PM EDT
I have been wanting a semi auto 7.62x54R rifle for a while along with quite a few others

And since SVDs are unobtainium, Veprs and saigas are typically already fucked with and I have never cared for anything that has come out of Romania.

So that just leaves the Serbs and their M91

Anyone have one? How's the 4x scope? Is the adjustable gas system responsive? General Impressions basically

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#2]
well damn

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Write up a review for us when you get one.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Happy2shoot:
Write up a review for us when you get one.
View Quote

I'm joking, I would write a review
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#5]
So, you like Kia or is this an all consuming joke?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Can't say for the M91, but I've used two POSP 4x scopes, one brand new, and one a little older. The FOV isn't the best but the eye relief and such is good for higher recoiling calibers. I like the reticle design, but it's just 4x mag at the end of the day. The turrets have a built in BDC so they require you to unscrew three screws and rotate the dial to your zero position and then tighten (after zeroing). It works, nothing much to say more. They are cool and fun to use. The illuminated reticle is one setting, non adjustable and is used for low light. You won't see it if the sun is out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an m76 and the Yugo scope that it came with is clear and I can dial that thing in nice and tight. I love that rifle. But, those are old optics and not sure if new Yugo glass is any good

Edit: just wish I could refresh the tritium
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Knightzone:
Can't say for the M91, but I've used two POSP 4x scopes, one brand new, and one a little older. The FOV isn't the best but the eye relief and such is good for higher recoiling calibers. I like the reticle design, but it's just 4x mag at the end of the day. The turrets have a built in BDC so they require you to unscrew three screws and rotate the dial to your zero position and then tighten (after zeroing). It works, nothing much to say more. They are cool and fun to use. The illuminated reticle is one setting, non adjustable and is used for low light. You won't see it if the sun is out.
View Quote

Nice

I don't mind it being dated, worse comes to worse if I get tired of it I can put something else on it
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Happy2shoot:
So, you like Kia or is this an all consuming joke?
View Quote

While Kia is not related to this particular topic

Yes I like Kia, alot.

I work on them for a living
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 5:14:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Sold some for a guy via consignment at an FFL a few years back.  Scopes weren't outstanding, but weren't bad the few times I looked through them. Not a real wide FOV, IIRC.

Had a PSOP optic on a Saiga for a while, it was OK also; gun wasn't too accurate, however, so I sold it all off.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#11]
anyone else?
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:29:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Dont have one but have used an m76 and if the optic is the same as that i can offer an opinion.

I also own one of the most accurate PSLs on the planet.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Harlikwin:
Dont have one but have used an m76 and if the optic is the same as that i can offer an opinion.

I also own one of the most accurate PSLs on the planet.
View Quote

with the right loads you can get them in 1 MOA

with S&B match my mosin gets spooky while regular steel case stuff is 4-3 Moa
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:03:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Save your money. Messed around with the Iraqi version of the M-91 years ago. It’s no better than a PSL. Save for a real SVD if that’s what you want.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By mgwantob:
Save your money. Messed around with the Iraqi version of the M-91 years ago. It’s no better than a PSL. Save for a real SVD if that’s what you want.
View Quote

i could Buy a Rio for the price of a "cheap" SVD

its just not gonna happen.

M91 is close enough
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:05:51 PM EDT
[#16]
damn, another gun to purchase now

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:08:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By BigPolska:
damn, another gun to purchase now 

View Quote

Atlantic firearms has them along with the new ZPAP
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:13:38 PM EDT
[#18]
As long as you realize you are spending money on kitsch and not a modern rifle go for it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:16:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I shot one before, but don't remember much about it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I don’t have a M91, but I have 2 modded Yugoslav M77s with an LPS scope and magpul grips/AR stocks with a SVD flash hiders.  I bought both and then modded them for $1300 and they shoot the same or better with the difference being .308.  The M91 is way too expensive for the money.  For $3000 you are better off with a LMT MWS or SCAR17.  I do make hits out to 600 with the M77 and it is more accurate than the PSLs I have shot in the past.  The M91 is worth $2200 to me and I prefer the M77 because of the shorter barrel and .308.  They both have the same gas block with 3 settings.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I would wait to see if this pans out. There's NO WAY the m91 is worth the coin.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By AKengineer:
As long as you realize you are spending money on kitsch and not a modern rifle go for it.
View Quote

poor taste?

pah.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:22:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nice

I don't mind it being dated, worse comes to worse if I get tired of it I can put something else on it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't say for the M91, but I've used two POSP 4x scopes, one brand new, and one a little older. The FOV isn't the best but the eye relief and such is good for higher recoiling calibers. I like the reticle design, but it's just 4x mag at the end of the day. The turrets have a built in BDC so they require you to unscrew three screws and rotate the dial to your zero position and then tighten (after zeroing). It works, nothing much to say more. They are cool and fun to use. The illuminated reticle is one setting, non adjustable and is used for low light. You won't see it if the sun is out.

Nice

Why? The charm is in the actual parts. Why take a shit tier rifle and do that. Treat it as a historical piece/curio, leave it alone and don't change it. If you want to fuck with something or make something better, go with another platform.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By combatengineer21:
I don’t have a M91, but I have 2 modded Yugoslav M77s with an LPS scope and magpul grips/AR stocks with a SVD flash hiders.  I bought both and then modded them for $1300 and they shoot the same or better with the difference being .308.  The M91 is way too expensive for the money.  For $3000 you are better off with a LMT MWS or SCAR17.  I do make hits out to 600 with the M77 and it is more accurate than the PSLs I have shot in the past.  The M91 is worth $2200 to me and I prefer the M77 because of the shorter barrel and .308.  They both have the same gas block with 3 settings.
View Quote

an LMT or SCAR dont typically come with scopes though

not like its scope is something special but its a fair bonus being that its like a $300-400 optic

the whole package should be like 2500 though yes

but im willing to give a Balkan company a little extra.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:
Why? The charm is in the actual parts. Why take a shit tier rifle and do that. Treat it as a historical piece/curio, leave it alone and don't change it. If you want to fuck with something or make something better, go with another platform.
View Quote

its just an optic man, if i didnt like it i would probably use some other Russian one to just keep it in the family you could say

everything else about it fine to me.

its no SVD but its not shit tier rifle, neither is a PSL.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:36:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By pivoproseem:
I would wait to see if this pans out. There's NO WAY the m91 is worth the coin. https://www-internationalsportsman-com.exactdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/HD18-700x990.png?strip=all&lossy=1&ssl=1
View Quote

Yep. I was pretty pumped when the rep was making his rounds on the board floating this. Not sure if it’ll plan out, but they seem to be following the roadmap they laid out for getting back into the market so I’m cautiously optimistic.

Even if it does arrive it’ll be a pretty penny. The SVD has always been a grail gun of mine but it may be for those with greater disposable income than I.

LP: the M91 looks cool but I’d consider it a compromise gun. It’s not an AK and it’s not an SVD. It’d probably be an easier sell if it were cheaper or the market was flush with all the cheap surplus 7.62x54r that was floating around decades ago. As it stands, you’ll be saving up your pennies to buy it then you’ll be saving up for every time you want to shoot it. There are better options out there for any role it might be filling in your collection (precision rifle, battle rifle, or carbine)
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:06:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Starvin:

Yep. I was pretty pumped when the rep was making his rounds on the board floating this. Not sure if it’ll plan out, but they seem to be following the roadmap they laid out for getting back into the market so I’m cautiously optimistic. 

Even if it does arrive it’ll be a pretty penny. The SVD has always been a grail gun of mine but it may be for those with greater disposable income than I.

LP: the M91 looks cool but I’d consider it a compromise gun. It’s not an AK and it’s not an SVD. It’d probably be an easier sell if it were cheaper or the market was flush with all the cheap surplus 7.62x54r that was floating around decades ago. As it stands, you’ll be saving up your pennies to buy it then you’ll be saving up for every time you want to shoot it. There are better options out there for any role it might be filling in your collection (precision rifle, battle rifle, or carbine)
View Quote

I'm already quite stocked up on 54R luckily
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:08:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By LittlePony:

poor taste?

pah.
View Quote

It's a compromise instead of buying the actual collectible you want. If you are buying for aesthetics instead of capability buy the real thing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:12:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By pivoproseem:
I would wait to see if this pans out. There's NO WAY the m91 is worth the coin. https://www-internationalsportsman-com.exactdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/HD18-700x990.png?strip=all&lossy=1&ssl=1
View Quote

Yeah, I’m on the list...
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:15:14 PM EDT
[#30]
In your other “what should I buy” thread you were trying to decide between a Bren and a Yugo AK.

In it you mentioned that this would be your only rifle aside from a Mosin that you already own.

If that is the case I cannot recommend highly enough you get a simple AR.

That obviously isn’t what you want based on your two threads now, but it is what you should buy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:25:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Attachment Attached File
The rifles are complete and they just finished the EU certification and we are waiting at ATF now.

We can't use the OG FH or bayonet and we did a muzzle brake that looks like the paratrooper short one like the PKM has and the current SVDS has.

once the 100 is done with , we can 200 with delivery to US every 4 months.

It's not cheap but we did it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:25:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I’ve got one of those stocks in the parts box.  Came off a post ban Saiga.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By jmftexas:
In your other “what should I buy” thread you were trying to decide between a Bren and a Yugo AK.

In it you mentioned that this would be your only rifle aside from A Mosin that you already own. 

If that is the case I cannot recommend highly enough you get a simple AR. 

That obviously isn’t what you want based on your two threads now, but it is what you should buy.
View Quote

agree.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:29:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Jozsi:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/313126/IMG_9700_jpg-1395319.JPGThe rifles are complete and they just finished the EU certification and we have waiting at ATF now.

We can't use the OG FH or bayonet and we did a muzzle brake that looks like the paratrooper short one like the PKM has and the current SVDS has.

once the 100 is done with , we can 200 with delivery to US every 4 months.

It's not cheap but we did it.

View Quote

oh baby. A brand spanking new Hungarian SVD.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#35]
It's sad when someone is the majority poster in their own thread.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:34:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 20iner:
It's sad when someone is the majority poster in their own thread.
View Quote

Well people need to skin those smoke wagons and post pictures
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#37]
All that money for something that will get out shot by the cheapest Savage in the Walmart rack?

You gotta really want one.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:45:46 PM EDT
[#38]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/313126/IMG_9700_jpg-1395319.JPGThe rifles are complete and they just finished the EU certification and we are waiting at ATF now.

We can't use the OG FH or bayonet and we did a muzzle brake that looks like the paratrooper short one like the PKM has and the current SVDS has.

View Quote

I can't wait.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:47:21 PM EDT
[#39]
The M77 is Zastava - only difference again is no chrome lined barrel, .308, no dragunov stock, and shorter barrel.  You can use a SVD PSOP scope or rsregulate rail with your choice of optic.  The ALG trigger, shorter barrel, and match .308 make it out perform other AK dmr rifles like the M91 or PSL.  You can find Zastava M77s on GB or Armslist for $1200.  Look in to it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:52:01 PM EDT
[#40]
I have an M77 which is the same as the M91 but with a shorter 20" barrel and chambered in .308. It is a solid 1 MOA AK with decent off the shelf ammo and guys on AKfiles have shot sub-MOA with custom loads with the data and targets to show it. Haven't loaded for mine but I don't doubt it would do it. It shoots Wolf .308 2-3 MOA as well which is to be expected.

Something that is unique to the Yugo adjustable gas system is the design purports to prevent the gas pulse from moving the piston until after the bullet has fully departed the barrel. There is a "T" cavity drilled into the piston head that redirects gases around the piston head to delay the gas pulse.

The gas adjustment is a 3 position puck that can be rotated easily without disassembly but it's much simpler if you remove the gas tube.

The M91 is cool but the price is retarded (my M77 was $499) and 54r is a dead end for me personally. I don't know why they aren't putting out a variant of the M91 in mock SVD configuration in .308. I believe it exists.

Mags would also be an issue for the M91 as I understand they are not SVD mags. The M77 can use modified M14 mags (not a fan) and CSSpecs makes steel mags in various sizes from $34-45 ea.

Build quality on Yugo AKs is very high if you have never held one. To me they more closely resemble the workmanship of old world European manufacturers than they do combloc manufacturers. Up close it feels like you're looking at a German made gun.

I have carried my M77 hunting the past two years and while it weighs a bit more than a bolt rifle it is close to or less than AR10 weight and I'd rather have 10rd of .308 ready to go in moose and wolf country.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Go look at Ian McCullum’s youtube review.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 11:59:10 PM EDT
[#42]
3,100 on atlantic firearms
Psl is only 1,700
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:09:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Not for $3100.

I'd rather have a Vepr in 7.62x54, even despite it being $1500 cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:15:19 AM EDT
[#44]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/313126/IMG_9700_jpg-1395319.JPGThe rifles are complete and they just finished the EU certification and we are waiting at ATF now.

View Quote

@jozsi what’s MSRP?
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:22:16 AM EDT
[#45]
If you're looking for a semi-auto 54R you can keep an eye out for SVT-40's as well. The M91 would probably be alot less finicky though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:22:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Starvin:

Yep. I was pretty pumped when the rep was making his rounds on the board floating this. Not sure if it’ll plan out, but they seem to be following the roadmap they laid out for getting back into the market so I’m cautiously optimistic. 

Even if it does arrive it’ll be a pretty penny. The SVD has always been a grail gun of mine but it may be for those with greater disposable income than I.

LP: the M91 looks cool but I’d consider it a compromise gun. It’s not an AK and it’s not an SVD. It’d probably be an easier sell if it were cheaper or the market was flush with all the cheap surplus 7.62x54r that was floating around decades ago. As it stands, you’ll be saving up your pennies to buy it then you’ll be saving up for every time you want to shoot it. There are better options out there for any role it might be filling in your collection (precision rifle, battle rifle, or carbine)
View Quote

The M91 is very much an AK, just with some unique features. The BCG is scaled up a bit, the piston is longer, the barrel setback into the receiver is less (so a std length receiver can be used), and you get the adjustable gas system that works quite well, along with some gas systrm tricks to remove BCG cycle movement as a factor in accuracy (explained in my last post). But it's still an AK and has no similarity to the SVD other than external appearance.

Yugo barrels are also significantly thicker than PSL barrels, they do not flex and drift like PSLs do. Iirc PSL barrels share the same nominal dimensions as a 7.62x39 barrel despite being significantly longer and firing a much more substantial cartridge.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 12:32:02 AM EDT
[#47]
$3,150 for a stamped steel rifle with a dated design that feeds a rimmed cartridge from a box magazine, and most ammo available is corrosive. What's not to love?

I bought a PSL when they were under $1k. It's fun, and I like it as a range toy. But once you get well above the $1k price point, you better be getting something that's either very well built or that performs well above average. Everything CommBloc is neither.

If you're looking for a medium caliber semiauto rifle that's not an AR, try a FAL or HK91 variant.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:23:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

@jozsi what’s MSRP?
View Quote

It's not gonna be cheap....

but once everything is streamlined and then we hammer out the contracts for cheaper source materials than the frigging expensive EU western countries we are using now, it will go down in price.

MSRP is gonna be over $4k or so with scope and 3 magazines, cleaning kit, and dropcase made for the Hungarian army.

Scopes were repurged and rebuilt by Schmidt and Bender Hungary, the PSO target scopes.

We also just signed a certain gunsmith who does threading jobs regularly to do warranty work and upgrades if needed.

Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:31:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

but once everything is streamlined and then we hammer out the contracts for cheaper source materials than the frigging expensive EU western countries we are using now, it will go down in price.

MSRP is gonna be over $4k or so with scope and 3 magazines, cleaning kit, and dropcase made for the Hungarian army.

Scopes were repurged and rebuilt by Schmidt and Bender Hungary, the PSO target scopes.

We also just signed a certain gunsmith who does threading jobs regularly to do warranty work and upgrades if needed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@jozsi what's MSRP?

That's a good price, relatively speaking. Even Tigr's are pushing $6k these days.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 1:44:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By jmftexas:
In your other “what should I buy” thread you were trying to decide between a Bren and a Yugo AK.

In it you mentioned that this would be your only rifle aside from a Mosin that you already own. 

If that is the case I cannot recommend highly enough you get a simple AR. 

That obviously isn’t what you want based on your two threads now, but it is what you should buy.
View Quote

IIRC  Big pony bought an Anderson a few years back.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top