Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2018 6:13:00 PM EDT
I found and ordered a PRW-3100 from Amazon but of course, that wasn't what I got, so I'm returning it...but even then the PRW-3100 really was sort of a last resort and comes with some stuff I neither need nor want..

Basically all I'm looking for is a relatively bomb-proof digital watch with (in order of importance)
- a high angle/high visibility screen, preferably reversed (Casio's STN screen seems to fit that bill)
- can be synced to an external time source (atomic broadcasts) - the wish here is for sub-second accuracy but if the best they can do is a whole second, then ok
- I'd prefer a solar powered or other renewable powered watch; something that will last decades and that I won't need to replace batteries on, preferably ever
- $250 or less
- A compass
- Thinner than Amy Schumer
- A barometer (optional but if it's available, I want it)

You'd think a Casio of some kind would fit that bill, but ...? The PRW-3100 I thought I ordered from Amazon did fit that bill, mostly, but the seller sent a PRG-300CM-4ER instead...which fits %80 of the bill, but does not have the reversed STN display, which really was the primary reason for buying it in the first place. So that's being returned.

What else fits that bill, or at least mostly fits that bill?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#1]
In.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a PRW-3100 for a while. It was to replace my PAW-2000 that was getting long in the tooth. (I ended up finding an as-new PAW-2000 for $75 and flipped the 3100.)  The 3100 is a fine watch, and the display is really easy to read. It's probably the thinnest Pro-Trek/Pathfinder in the line-up currently. It has a stainless bezel, whereas the US versions of the watch are aluminum and easily scratched. There is a 3100 version out there with a sapphire crystal as well, but it's JDM only and $$$ if you can find one. If I hadn't found the newer 2000, I'd still have the 3100. The main reason I like the PAW-2000 over the newer model is that it has a dual-layer display that can show the compass in an overlay, and it takes 22mm straps without adapters.

Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:38:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

I think this is a 3000, it was referred by someone here (of course) so others will know for sure.

Its most of what you are looking for except it is NOT easy to read.

Its tough, I'm a aircraft mechanic and when this pic was taken the watch was only 4 months old. It looks way worse now, but its never missed a beat.

ETA this is a PRW-3000
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 9:46:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm thinking I might spring for a 3510 - it seems to be ~a 3100?
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#5]
LOL - so the vendor I ordered the watch from on Amazon stepped up and actually re-sent me the correct watch. The correct watch in this case was a PRW-3100-6ER.

Sadly it's now dark here outside and it's power is low...so it's sort of hobbled But tomorrow I'll stick it in the sun and let it charge up and start fiddling with it.

It's a lot lighter than the Breitling I normally wear A little thinner too. The band / bracelet is actually pretty comfortable; it's been decades since I've worn a rubber/polymer watch band and it seems to be more comfortable than I remember them being.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t solar watches just charging a battery that will eventually die? 10years I think I’ve heard?

I have a few citizens and a Casio that are solar. But my seiko monster is my oldest watch and still keeps fairly accurate time for what it is.  But like you I like having an exactly correct time so I sync to my solar atomic Casio. I guess I didn’t help answer your question....
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 3:19:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t solar watches just charging a battery that will eventually die? 10years I think I’ve heard?

I have a few citizens and a Casio that are solar. But my seiko monster is my oldest watch and still keeps fairly accurate time for what it is.  But like you I like having an exactly correct time so I sync to my solar atomic Casio. I guess I didn’t help answer your question....
View Quote
Citizen uses a Panasonic capacitor in their Eco-Drives. They say that it still retains 80% capacity after 20 years.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had a PRW-3100 for a while. It was to replace my PAW-2000 that was getting long in the tooth. (I ended up finding an as-new PAW-2000 for $75 and flipped the 3100.)  The 3100 is a fine watch, and the display is really easy to read. It's probably the thinnest Pro-Trek/Pathfinder in the line-up currently. It has a stainless bezel, whereas the US versions of the watch are aluminum and easily scratched. There is a 3100 version out there with a sapphire crystal as well, but it's JDM only and $$$ if you can find one. If I hadn't found the newer 2000, I'd still have the 3100. The main reason I like the PAW-2000 over the newer model is that it has a dual-layer display that can show the compass in an overlay, and it takes 22mm straps without adapters.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4257/35924294875_abcbff942a_h.jpg
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4801/38937399170_245f6e1b6e_h.jpg
View Quote
@sgtlmj what’s your wrist size?
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@sgtlmj what’s your wrist size?
View Quote
6.5"

Link Posted: 12/4/2018 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been happy with my Casio Pathfinder.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#11]
This is what I'm going to get for ultimate beater

would of passed it over but saw this pic and LOVE the size of the 5600's.

Not sure if it meets your requirements but this pic made me pump the brakes.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top