Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes I change my own oil, no I don't use Walmart's house brand. Truck gets 12 quarts of Rotella T5 and 1 quart of Archoil AR9100 additive.

Yikes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/ohnocringe-1970558.jpg

woosah, Fox, woosah
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I change standard supertech every 5-6000 miles in a 2005 Town and country. I use a supertech filter also.

It is used a a delivery van since 110,000 miles

It has somewhere around 390.000 on it right now. Zero problems.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:35:21 PM EDT
[#3]
As a guy that works on cars for a hobby yes.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes and motor craft for the 6.7 and Mobil 1 European for the MB
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes and no. I use Mobil 1 because even though Supertech is made by warren oil, I can’t bring myself to put Walmart oil in a 1 year old vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:49:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:51:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You mean like every other synthetic PCMO on Walmart shelves including Supertech?  
View Quote

Actually they don’t. Only certain Mobil 1 oils have the certification.

As a side note. I was recently on a road trip and stopped at a Mom and Pop oil change place. They appeared professional, however they installed the wrong filter on my 2015 Silverado.  With in 6,000 miles I had a catastrophic failure of the engine.  I had 200,000 miles on the engine so I really can’t say that was the problem. Any rate I had a new factory engine installed because it was in stock and the dealerships didn’t have a truck I was interested in buying.

The shop that did the work was ran and staffed by Mennonites. Those guys had their shit wired tight. I would say they were the most focused and professional people I have dealt with in the automotive world. The shop was spotless and their work reflect that attention to detail.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As a side note. I was recently on a road trip and stopped at a Mom and Pop oil change place. They appeared professional, however they installed the wrong filter on my 2015 Silverado.  With in 6,000 miles I had a catastrophic failure of the engine.  I had 200,000 miles on the engine so I really can’t say that was the problem. Any rate I had a new factory engine installed because it was in stock and the dealerships didn’t have a truck I was interested in buying.

The shop that did the work was ran and staffed by Mennonites. Those guys had their shit wired tight. I would say they were the most focused and professional people I have dealt with in the automotive world. The shop was spotless and their work reflect that attention to detail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean like every other synthetic PCMO on Walmart shelves including Supertech?  

You mean Dexos 1 Gen 2 specs @palm ?
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:00:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes and hell no. Mobil 1 via rebates.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Change my own. I use Kirkland.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nice metal building. How big is that? (Height, width, and length)
View Quote

Foot print is 40 x40 for 1600sqft. It is 20ft at the peak and 15'6" at the eaves.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s because certain weights are approved.  Those, are in the shelves t Walmart, so yes.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes and no. I use Mobil 1 because even though Supertech is made by warren oil, I can’t bring myself to put Walmart oil in a 1 year old vehicle.
View Quote

Lol Walmart oil
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:16:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
yes & yes
View Quote

Walmart synthetic
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:25:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes super tech is fine . Just like most house brands are. As long as it has the  api seal it’s fine

Most house brand oils are made by one of the big oil companies

Supertech is made by warren oil. Who makes it for many others including several auto parts house brands.

I haven’t used “name brand “ oil in years always house brand from harvestking, farm and fleet , or supertech
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:44:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Always enjoy these oil threads. I get a good chuckle out of people who have no clue, especially the ones that buy into the snake oils.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#17]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes I change my own oil, no I don't use Walmart's house brand. Truck gets 12 quarts of Rotella T5 and 1 quart of Archoil AR9100 additive.

Yikes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/ohnocringe-1970558.jpg

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Always enjoy these oil threads. I get a good chuckle out of people who have no clue, especially the ones that buy into the snake oils.
View Quote

Same for me. After leaning from actual SME like Foxtrot08 and D_Man (and a few others) I stopped paying more for Mobil 1 and went with Amazon then Kirkland (they're the same thing).

Like my run of the mill cars are going to know the difference.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Same for me. After leaning from actual SME like Foxtrot08 and D_Man (and a few others) I stopped paying more for Mobil 1 and went with Amazon then Kirkland (they're the same thing).

Like my run of the mill cars are going to know the difference.
View Quote

I am a meat popsicle.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
yes.

no.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
yes & yes
View Quote

This, last Sunday 06 Corolla hole the wix filter is ok
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:42:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I've used Supertech full synthetic in my Honda Civic since I bought it used with 26K miles on it.

It now has over 222K miles on it, and the engine is still running fine.

I do use a Mobil 1 filter, though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:44:40 PM EDT
[#23]
No. A gallon of Mobil 1 is $22 at Walmart.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I change mine and my mom's oil. I usually get whatever has a rebate for mine and whatever I can find on sale rebate that has ms6385(or whatever the Mopar spec is) for my mom.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, I guess so.  It is what is recommended in the owner’s manual.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any manufacturer can meet that spec. Not just Mobil.  

I have 6 or 9 licenses listed on the official GM Dexos website.

Literally.

It’s a fee per gallon.

Edit

16 licenses.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Years ago I had an epiphany. I was was laying on my back on a creeper ,changing the oil in my 2006 Colorado and the “engineers” made it so you couldn’t remove the filter , from the bottom or the top , without tipping it and spilling oil all over. I had oil all over my garage floor and my hands and arms.  I realized I could afford paying 25 dollars to someone else to do this.
I now pay a local owned shop to do this. He profits and I do as well. It is a good relationship.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:01:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes. No.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:10:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I did 3 oil changes this weekend on the kids cars. I've used Supertech on several occasions, cars still humming along.

Great prices on Wix filters
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes and no... We are poor but not that poor.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:17:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

Any manufacturer can meet that spec. Not just Mobil.  

I have 6 or 9 licenses listed on the official GM Dexos website.

Literally.

It’s a fee per gallon.

Edit

16 licenses.
View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:18:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No. A gallon of Mobil 1 is $22 at Walmart.
View Quote

Diesel eh?  Nice.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:30:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
yes & yes
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/26/2021 10:34:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes and No

I do however buy my Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Synthetic from Wlamart. Cheapest price anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
yes & yes
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#36]
No. Not going to change my own oil when I get a coupon from the local dealer for $40 for full synthetic. By the time I buy the oil and filter its damn near $40 so fuck it, they can do it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:50:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Yes to changing own oil. Yes to using ST high milage full synthetic. There are a few YouTube videos on oil comparison and for the money it's not far behind par with Mobil 1. I don't use ST filters though. I like to get the Bosch brand ones from rock auto in bulk.

That being said. We had a Mazda 3 that got ST synthetic every 5K miles. Was up at 150K miles when we sold it. Right before then it.had a valve cover gasket leak. I took the VC off and valve train showed no signs of wear. Everything had a light golden brown color and no sludge anywhere  car did not ever have any engine trouble.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Yes.  No.  

I have used it in the past, though.  Worked fine.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 10:43:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Yes, no.

The local walmart is the only local place that carries oil (Castrol blend) that specifically list some Audi-Porsche-VW spec;
cost is the same as other synthetics, so why not.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 11:28:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
No. Not going to change my own oil when I get a coupon from the local dealer for $40 for full synthetic. By the time I buy the oil and filter its damn near $40 so fuck it, they can do it.
View Quote

It’s not about the money. Haven’t you read enough about LittlePony’s crazy co-workers?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I use a quick lube because I like my shit done right and quick lubes are the only place I've found that use blue silicone on the plug and drive it home with an M18.
View Quote

lol done right.  My neighbor thought the same until her van died. I checked it and what was in there was minimal and it was mostly black vasoline. They never changed shit.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:35:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

lol done right.  My neighbor thought the same until her van died. I checked it and what was in there was minimal and it was mostly black vasoline. They never changed shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use a quick lube because I like my shit done right and quick lubes are the only place I've found that use blue silicone on the plug and drive it home with an M18.

Same thing just happened to my sister.  Dealership checked their cameras and determined they never changed the oil, just charged her for it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Just bought Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic from Walmart for 23$
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Yes and then no.

924 - Liqui Moly
944T - Liqui Moly
986 - Driven DT40
996 - Driven DT40
Mercedes - Liqui Moly
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#45]
I used to when I was younger, poor and the car wasn't that new.
Now the current car goes to my local repair/service shop for its annual service.

I'm 75 not poor so to hell with crawling under a vehicle to do oil changes and other stuff.

Still got all the tools though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Yes. I buy Valvoline from wally world.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#47]
It takes way longer to drive somewhere, wait and drive home than it does to do it myself. Disposing of the oil is the only pain.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It takes way longer to drive somewhere, wait and drive home than it does to do it myself. Disposing of the oil is the only pain.
View Quote

I just drop off used oil at the local autozone
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:57:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We pour it on fire ant mounds or use it to set our old tires on fire on Earth Day.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Yes and no, I use Quaker state.

Was hauling used oil to the dump this past weekend and the guy working at the dump asked why I change my own oil.

Have 250k miles on my car and I don’t trust someone at a shop not to leave the drain plug out, overfill, underfill, put the wrong stuff in there, etc.

Having worked on assembly lines for most of my adult life, I’ve seen the stupid stuff folks do, regardless of seniority or pay…when it comes to working on something they don’t own.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top